Triss Merigold of Maribor (All Spoilers) Resurgence

+
In TW3 she's brave and sort of confident, but also terribly bland. She's kind, she helps people. That's her entire character in TW3. Geralt says that people follow her, because she's charismatic, but I just don't see it.

Geralt only says this if you want him to say it. You can also choose the option to say that the other mages follow her because there is no one else, which is true. There isn't any other powerful mage who cares for the other mages in tries to save them.
Yennefer has her own business and just cares for Ciri.
Shaela and Margaritta are imprisoned.(not that Shaela would do anything to help the other mages) Phillipa is trapped.
Keira just cares for herself and tries to get as far as possible from Radovid.
Only Triss is left and she takes all the responsibility and risks her life. If you consider her to be charismatic or not doesn't really matter, as the other mages just don't have any other choice.

Geralt: Who had Foltest assassinated?
Triss: I have no idea. Perhaps after Demavend's succesful assassination, Sheala and Philippa decided to take the next step?
Geralt: That would be stupid.
Geralt has to explain that to a politican :facepalm2:
This one example characterizes her as "naive"? Nobody knew at this point what was going on. Imo she did a good job at compiling most of the puzzle, which isn't taken for granted considering her situation. Being tied and expecting to be killed any moment.
By this logic, Shaela and Phillipa are also naive because they were played by Letho and the emperor, which isn't really something to be ashamed of.
They were just outsmarted. Some applies to Geralt.
And as I wrote above. She has every right to be naive from time to time. How old is she? 1/3 of the age of Yennefer?

Unlike Yennefer, she responded rather coldly to his death. I always interpreted it as her letting him go.
Didn't Triss ask Ciri if she can go with them?
Notwithstanding the above. What reaction would you have expected? To break down in tears next to Yennefer? Wouldn't she be considered "weak" again if she would have reacted this way?

in TW3 she collaborated with the King of Beggars, Dijkstra and Tankred. Plenty of opportunities for a political storyline.
I'm glad that you remind me of Tankred. So she is a political player. She made the deal with Tankred and is going to be his advisor.
The King of Beggars doesn't have any political storyline. His nice little speech at the beginning doesn't lead to anything and regarding Djikstra it doesn't make any sense for her to be involved in his political plans if she is going to be tied to Kovir in the future.

---------- Updated at 04:23 PM ----------

I dunno, maybe the fact that she was completely fine with him dying and basically didn't give a single f*ck about Yennefer begging her and Philippa to save him.
That isn't a fact , but just your interpretation. I interpreted it that she just knew she couldn't do anything to save him. Yennefer- a more powerful sorceress- tried and didn't manage to prevent him from dying.
Let's assume she didn't love Geralt anymore at this point. He is still a person very dear to her and one of her best friends. Wouldn't she do anything to save this friend if she thought there is any chance saving him?

In my opinion it wasn't about Triss letting him go or she doesn't care about him anymore but rather she finally overcame her fears and became a strong woman who can be focused and also can put aside her weaknesses. In the previous books her feelings and weaknesses took over many times and ruled her she even cried in the books (even mourned Geralt in Brokilon) and was a coward. This time she was focused and cool-headed (the totally opposite of her former-self) and knew that they couldn't do anything for Geralt and sadly accepted it. I know it seems like she was kinda indifferent I also thought that when I read the books for the first time but now I think it wasn't about that. This scene was supposed to show her "metamorphosis" and how much she had change.

Last edited:
That isn't a fact , but just your interpretation. I interpreted it that she just knew she couldn't do anything to save him. Yennefer- a more powerful sorceress- tried and didn't manage to prevent him from dying.

No, I don't mean the Rivia. I'm talking about "Tower of Swallows", when Yennefer is being falsely accused of being a traitor. She contacts Triss and begs for help - if not for her, then at least for Geralt. And we all know how Triss responds to that.

The fact is, the 'greater good' was always more important to her than her friends - Yen, Ciri and Geralt.

---------- Zaktualizowano 16:48 ----------

In my opinion it wasn't about Triss letting him go or she doesn't care about him anymore

I don't claim that she completely stopped caring about him, I think she still considered him her friend. But she stopped obsessing over him. And the problem is that in Witcher 1 she acts like her "Blood of Elves" version once again, at least when it comes to Geralt. Few steps back.

In my opinion it wasn't about Triss letting him go or she doesn't care about him anymore but rather she finally overcame her fears and became a strong woman who can be focused and also can put aside her weaknesses. In the previous books her feelings and weaknesses took over many times and ruled her she even cried in the books (even mourned Geralt in Brokilon) and was a coward. This time she was focused and cool-headed (the totally opposite of her former-self) and knew that they couldn't do anything for Geralt and sadly accepted it. I know it seems like she was kinda indifference I also thought that when I read the books for the first time but now I think it wasn't about that. This scene was supposed to show her "metamorphosis" and how much she had change.
Imo the important moment of her metamorphosis took place right before. When she and Yennefer were knocked out by the peasants and Yennefer said she should teleport them out. She refused to flee "again" and overcame the fears she had since the battle of Sodden Hill. Her not trying to save Geralt was rather a sign of her powerlessness. She accepted that she can't save him anymore, even with all her powers.. Ciri even says something along the line(to Yennefer) "what's the point of all your great magic if it can't prevent Geralt from dying".
Furthermore I still didn't get an answer to my question. Did she ask Ciri if she can go with them or not? (I don't remember it)
If that's the case it would be a clear indication that she was not over Geralt at this moment.

Guest 3847602

Furthermore I still didn't get an answer to my question. Did she ask Ciri if she can go with them or not? (I don't remember it)
If that's the case it would be a clear indication that she was not over Geralt at this moment.

'Ready, Ciri,' the sorceress said dully. 'You boat is waiting.'
Ciri brushed the hair from her forehead and sniffed.
'Apologise to the ladies at Montecalvo, Triss,' she said. 'But it can be no other way. I cannot stay if
Geralt and Yennefer leave. I simple cannot. They must understand.'
'They must.'
'Goodbye, Triss Merigold. Take care, Dandelion. Take care all.'
'Ciri,' Triss whispered. 'Little sister … Let me sail with you …'
'You do not know what you ask, Triss.'
'Will I ever see you …'
'Definitely,' she interrupted.

The only clear indication is that she wanted to go with Ciri... She doesn't say anything about going with Geralt and Yen.

'Ready, Ciri,' the sorceress said dully. 'You boat is waiting.'
Ciri brushed the hair from her forehead and sniffed.
'Apologise to the ladies at Montecalvo, Triss,' she said. 'But it can be no other way. I cannot stay if
Geralt and Yennefer leave. I simple cannot. They must understand.'
'They must.'
'Goodbye, Triss Merigold. Take care, Dandelion. Take care all.'
'Ciri,' Triss whispered. 'Little sister … Let me sail with you …'
'You do not know what you ask, Triss.'
'Will I ever see you …'
'Definitely,' she interrupted.

The only clear indication is that she wanted to go with Ciri... She doesn't say anything about going with Geralt and Yen.
And you believe she asks if she can go with them because of Ciri and not because of Geralt?

Guest 3847602

And you believe she asks if she can go with them because of Ciri and not because of Geralt?

No, but that's only my interpretation, I just quoted the part you were referring to. It's not clear what she intended, both of yours interpretations are valid, imo.

This one example characterizes her as "naive"? Nobody knew at this point what was going on. Imo she did a good job at compiling most of the puzzle, which isn't taken for granted considering her situation. Being tied and expecting to be killed any moment.

She knew that Letho killed both Demavend and Foltest, and that the Lodge was involved in the assassination of the former. Also, just after she finds that out, she has a conversation with Philippa where Philippa acts as if she knew nothing about who is responsible for the assassinations, and then denies helping to clear Geralt's name. And if that is not suspicious enough, it is quite possible that Triss may also have been lied to by Letho when she was kidnapped, as it was part of his job to frame the Lodge. It is a very unusual coincidence that there were two separate regicide plots going on at the same time and Letho was hired as the assassin in both, so jumping to the (wrong) conclusion that the Lodge was responsible for all of them is not very surprising.

Didn't Triss ask Ciri if she can go with them?

Yes, she asked and Ciri denied.

Last edited:
No, I don't mean the Rivia. I'm talking about "Tower of Swallows", when Yennefer is being falsely accused of being a traitor. She contacts Triss and begs for help - if not for her, then at least for Geralt. And we all know how Triss responds to that.

The fact is, the 'greater good' was always more important to her than her friends - Yen, Ciri and Geralt.

I don't deny that she has a manipulative side and a unhealthy relation with the lodge but that isn't any indication that she "overcame" her feelings towards Geralt during the events of the books, which was the assumption we were talking about if I remember correctly....
That she isn't 100% devoted to Geralt and would do everything for him is pretty clear. But that was always the case and didn't change during the books.

She also saved Geralt's life twice right before, when she blinded him and teleported him out later.

I don't claim that she completely stopped caring about him, I think she still considered him her friend. But she stopped obsessing over him. And the problem is that in Witcher 1 she acts like her "Blood of Elves" version once again, at least when it comes to Geralt. Few steps back.

I am partly agree with you in Witcher 1 she indeed acted like her Blood of Elves version which was wrong and as you said a few steps back regarding her "character evolution".
As for the books - In my opinion she still had romantic feelings for him and was hurt because she couldn't be with him. Though, she accepted it and tried to move on but could never really forget him. It's like in RL you are obsessed with someone desperately want to be with this person but after a time you understand and accept that he/she doesn't want you and even if it hurts like hell you try to move on... Imo that's the case with Triss too.

Imo the important moment of her metamorphosis took place right before. When she and Yennefer were knocked out by the peasants and Yennefer said she should teleport them out.

Yes, I meant that too but I must have expressed myself badly. Her metamorphosis took place before that scene when she helped Yen and stayed with them.

No, but that's only my interpretation, I just quoted the part you were referring to. It's not clear what she intended, both of yours interpretations are valid, imo.
I never had the feeling that Triss particulary cared for Ciri. Certainly not in the same way as Geralt and Yennefer. She also had no problem with the lodge's plan to marry Ciri to Tancred. That's why I heavily doubt she would like to go with them because of her.

---------- Updated at 05:20 PM ----------

In fact, Tissaia was the one who teleported him
You are right, but Tissaia refused at the beginning and it was Triss who begged for it. In the end it was Triss doing that Geralt survived.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

I never had the feeling that Triss particulary cared for Ciri. Certainly not in the same way as Geralt and Yennefer. She also had no problem with the lodge's plan to marry Ciri to Tancred. That's why I heavily doubt she would like to go with them because of her.

Well, of course what she felt for Ciri wasn't on the same of what Geralt and Yennefer felt for her, their entire character arcs were built on the family bond they adopt over the course of the Saga. But, if you want one example of what Triss was feeling for Ciri, take look at the Kaer Morhen chapter in Blood of Elves: she stayed there the whole winter because Ciri needed her company despite being deeply hurt by Geralt's rejection. If you look at how she behaved with Geralt during her "stomach problems" episode you'll see just how much restraint on her side was taking place during the previous months. And she still stayed there for Ciri.

By the way I am wondering is there any interview with Mr. Sapkowski where he is talking about Triss? I mean how he imagined and/or planned his character etc.

Come on, no one knows him better than Yennefer.

However well Yennefer knows him, "never" is a strong word, and can she really predict what he will feel like years later, especially after the amnesia and other events ? In any case, at least in the games he apparently does forgive, while in the books they do not have a chance to talk again after that, so the point is somewhat moot.

So if you hate her witcher 1 portrayal and also don't like her witcher 2 and 3 portrayal, how should have CDP portayed her in your opinion?

I guess: not at all. :p Or at least without this - that might be the real source of much of the complaining.

Yes and the rest of the lodge believed her. The whole lodge failed in this situation. Just like they failed with their plan to marry Ciri to Tankred. I would even call it a trait of Phillipa at this point considering that it's a somehow a pattern through the books and games. She always has ambitious plans and they always bite her in the ass.

That could have been the case in that deleted part of the final quest in TW3, too. Philippa has just been given amnesty, and she already has plans in The Sunstone to manipulate (empress) Ciri as the new advisor, an ambitious plan indeed.

I am partly agree with you in Witcher 1 she indeed acted like her Blood of Elves version which was wrong and as you said a few steps back regarding her "character evolution".

It may be understandable though that CDPR wanted to introduce her book character in some way to those who did not read the books. Hence the "resetting" of her character evolution, and then a somewhat similar development again over the trilogy. Given that I see people complaining about Yennefer being too much like in the short stories at the beginning of TW3, this might not be the only case they did something like that. The only thing I see as wrong is creating the "Trissefer" character in TW1, and then reverting that in the next game, that lead to some inconsistency.

As for the books - In my opinion she still had romantic feelings for him and was hurt because she couldn't be with him. Though, she accepted it and tried to move on but could never really forget him. It's like in RL you are obsessed with someone desperately want to be with this person but after a time you understand and accept that he/she doesn't want you and even if it hurts like hell you try to move on... Imo that's the case with Triss too.

And this is more or less what happens in TW3, too, except this time it does not have to end the same way.

She has every right to be naive from time to time. How old is she? 1/3 of the age of Yennefer?

I have seen several answers to that, maybe no one really knows, it ranged from 35 years to as much as 60. But definitely younger than Yennefer (99 years in TW3), and much younger than Philippa (300 years ?).

Notwithstanding the above. What reaction would you have expected? To break down in tears next to Yennefer? Wouldn't she be considered "weak" again if she would have reacted this way?

To me, she looked powerless and shocked (and had to be held by Dandelion), but that does not necessarily mean indifference.

There wasn't any indication in the books that she was over Geralt and with his amnesia she saw the chance to be together with him. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I agree, and she may have been "over" Geralt only in the sense that she accepted that she has to let him go, but that does not imply no longer feeling anything towards him.

Last edited:
By the way I am wondering is there any interview with Mr. Sapkowski where he is talking about Triss? I mean how he imagined and/or planned his character etc.

I think there isn't any interview mentioning her...there are a lot of Yennefer talks with him though

Anyway I can find only this:
Last question: do you prefer Triss Merigold or Yennefer of Vengerberg?

There is no place for preferences here. Triss and Yennefer are fictitious characters created to serve the storyline. How they look, what they do, what they say and to whom – everything serves the storyline, intertwines and interweaves with the plot.

Both ladies serve the plot and the plot only – they do not serve my preferences. Period.

it ranged from 35 years to as much as 60

I would say 40-50 - she isn't certainly 35 since The Last Wish story is happening like 20 years before TW3 events.

It would be weird if 10-15 years old Triss said to her friend Yen that "if you see one naked man - you se them all" :D

I would say 40-50 - she isn't certainly 35 since The Last Wish story is happening like 20 years before TW3 events.

It would be weird if 10-15 years old Triss said to her friend Yen that "if you see one naked man - you se them all" :D

Well, even if she is 40 she would have been pretty young then! But 50 sounds accurate though

Top Bottom