Triss Merigold of Maribor (All Spoilers) Resurgence

+
She is. But it's still laughable that her word without any evidence is enough to arrest someone who was offered a position in the Council and the Conclave several times.

Laughable? For Radovid? :hrhr:It's more than enough. Especially after he discovered Philippa's doings.

Also bear in mind that having Yen and Triss there at the beginning of Act 2 allows for some interesting writing to come from obvious tensions between the two, something largely ignored by the existing writing.

It could also have allowed for some interaction with the other witchers, similarly to the prologue of the first game.

Thanks for saying so.

I also think it's rather odd that Triss and Yen really don't interact for almost the entire game, as friends and with that tension you'd think there would be something. The only parts I can remember relating them were the destruction of the best bed in Kaer Morhen and possibly It Takes Three to Tango, though I haven't experienced that quest myself. I also found it weird at least partially that Yennefer calls Geralt vile, among other things, at Kaer Morhen, but doesn't seem to bear any resentment towards Triss, other than the bed being a reminder that she has Geralt and Yen doesn't, should you choose Triss.

Agree completely, lack of interaction was bad. Would have vastly preferred Kaer Morhen to be the cauldron of conflict and resolution.
At least 1.10 put in some reaction from them to Geralt's choice, even they shied away from the conflict element.

I bet Geralt was thinking: "What is she talking about? I don't remember any witnesses. Has my amnesia returned?" :areukiddingme:

Hm witnesses could be:

Triss
Geralt
Another members of the Lodge
Letho
Scoia'taels

Information they had - enough to get to the truth. Only one thing needed - to catch some of them :ninja:

Hm witnesses could be:

Triss
Geralt
Another members of the Lodge
Letho
Scoia'taels

Information they had - enough to get to the truth. Only one thing needed - to catch some of them :ninja:

Letho was the one who did the assassinations, the Lodge was the one that hired him and Scoia'taels were Letho's accomplices. They can hardly be called witnesses ;)

But the Scoia'taels didn't even know about Sheala and other members of the Lodge wouldn't have betrayed her. So we only have Letho as a witness (and he's hardly a trustworthy one).

I meant - gather their information together - that will complete puzzle.

(snip)
(...) Yennefer just feels completely thrust upon us (...)

And is it just me, but isn't Priscilla's ballad used as leitmotif in the main soundtrack of the game as well - a lot (at Kaer Morhen for example, but also in other areas)? Everytime it comes up it's like I'm being told, "think of Yen, think of Yen, think of Yen!" :D

Mean no offence to Yen fans btw, I think she's a great character (still went for Triss though ;) )

Last edited:
Agree completely, lack of interaction was bad. Would have vastly preferred Kaer Morhen to be the cauldron of conflict and resolution.
At least 1.10 put in some reaction from them to Geralt's choice, even they shied away from the conflict element.

The sum total of that interaction is a question from Yen and one line of dialogue with Triss. Interaction that was applied to Yen as well, as I understand it. Well worth the wait, that one.

---------- Updated at 02:54 AM ----------

@saladin1701 I know you're not proposing a Yen vs Triss war, Just want Merigold have as much romance time as Yennefer.

No, that's only part of it. I'm arguing that by having Triss, Kiera and Letho where and when they're meant to be, you can expand Act 2 through new content, further develop a variety of characters, create a tenser atmosphere consistent with events from the previous two games (i.e. Geralt sleeping with Triss) and make for an all round far less linear, far less conflicted act that ignores numerous consequences of previous actions than it exists now, regardless of your romance choice. CDPR themselves said that the game is about actions having consequences yet this is precisely what Act 2 ignores.

Why would Geralt be correcting people whom he doesn't even know? And you think those people would be interested to know whom his dating now? And regarding 'forced" Yennefer, you can at least break up with her. We couldn't do it with Triss in TW2.

When I played through TW2, Triss pretty much didn't exist in my game between her kidnap and the finale. Sure, I woke up with her - but I fucked pretty much everyone I met so big deal. Yes, I tell Foltest I want her to come with me, but still. She was pleasant enough, and wasn't getting in the way.

It was in no way the same as the experience of having Yennefer FORCED on me throughout TW3. Having her kiss me during the wake, when I didn't want her to, having to go googly-eyed at her when I had no interest in her, having to sit through that painful ballad scene as if it affected me, having to endure her company and bitching on quests where I didn't need to be with her, the relief of finding dialogue that made me think I was going to be able to stand up to her and tell her to get the fuck over it but no, you always end up having to do what she says. And the thing is, even if you do The Last Wish, you're made to feel you should say nothing's changed. Of course by that point, I'd been dreaming of the moment I could tell her what I'd known since Vizima, that I'd changed and it was over, so I enjoyed doing it. but what did it change? Nothing! She's still constantly in your face. When I was setting up for HoS, I just skipped it, and my main game stopped once I'd done a quest that lets me talk to Vesemir.

I started the game with no real feelings about Yennefer. Hadn't read the books. I had no feelings for Triss either, she was in TW2 but I was more bonded to the likes of Roche, Iorveth and Ves. But by the mid point.. I actively LOATHED Yennefer to the point it was ruining the game for me. It's one of the main reasons I only played right through once. I chose the path of Nomance, and had to endure going round the Skellige islands (my favourite place in the game) with random people saying "what is she to you, the sorceress, Yennefer, right?" and "you've no respect for our customs, you nor that witch Yennefer" and I just wanted to scream "SHE'S NOTHING TO TO DO WITH ME!".

Now I know I had a strong reaction, and I know it's down to my own personal history but I still struggle to see how anyone can claim that Triss gets forced on the player to anywhere near the level Yennefer is. I can skip some of Triss' quests. I can pretend I'm not going to help Yennefer but in the end I still have to trail after her. The lazy cow has been at Kaer Morhen a week, exploding crystals, but can she be bothered to check for problems herself? No, she'd rather waste time. Oooh, a scene where I can tell her how I feel! Nope, she's thrown me in the lake! Well, fine, I've other things to do.. wait.. nope, that stupid f***ing quest is still there and I still have to do it.

If the game had allowed me to take the consequences of rejecting Yennefer by failing a few quests where I'm not really needed , or by having an alternative path, I would have had a more enjoyable experience. A more repeatable experience. And perhaps even one where, if I knew I could assert some control, I might have been able to replay the game and even explore her character a bit more. But it doesn't happen and I have a game I love but can't stand to play. Sometimes I wish I had read the books (well, one at least) because then I wouldn't have bought TW3 at all.

And why, in a thread about Triss, are we talking so much about Yennefer?

When I played through TW2, Triss pretty much didn't exist in my game between her kidnap and the finale. Sure, I woke up with her - but I fucked pretty much everyone I met so big deal. Yes, I tell Foltest I want her to come with me, but still. She was pleasant enough, and wasn't getting in the way.

The problem is you can break up with Triss in TW1, you can even choose Shani, but no matter what you do Geralt wakes up next to Triss in TW2. That's a problem. She was forced on us in TW2 and we couldn't break up with her.

And regarding the rest of your post. I don't have enough patience to respond to every single point you've made, so I'll just say this. Geralt is a pre-established character with pre-established history, personality and relationships. So it doesn't matter how you feel about Yennefer, Triss, Ciri ect . It's Geralt's story, not yours. You can hate Yennefer, but he can't. And he most definitely can't say that the woman with whom he had 20 years of history has nothing to do with him

Last edited:
Geralt is a pre-established character with pre-established history, personality and relationships. So it doesn't matter how you feel about Yennefer, Triss, Ciri ect . It's Geralt's story, not yours.

Well, then you cannot complain about TW2 or that amnesia dialogue in TW3, or a number of other things. That is just how CDPR wrote Geralt's character. And Shani's as well, since she is the one that dumps Geralt after the end of TW1.

And he most definitely can't say that the woman with whom he had 20 years of history has nothing to do with him

Except the choice to reject her is already in the game. It is just not applied consistently after it is made.

The problem is you can break up with Triss in TW1, you can even choose Shani, but no matter what you do Geralt wakes up next to Triss in TW2. That's a problem. She was forced on us in TW2 and we couldn't break up with her.

And regarding the rest of you post. I don't have enough patience to respond to every single point you've made, so I'll just say this. Geralt is a pre-established character with pre-established history, personality and relationships. So it doesn't matter how you feel about Yennefer, Triss, Ciri ect . It's Geralt's story, not yours. You can hate Yennefer, but he can't. And he most definitely can't say that the woman with whom he had 20 years of history has nothing to do with him

Bull.

You can ignore Triss for almost all of TW2 if you wish, I did. Yes, it's irritating that if you chose Shani, as I would have done could I finish TW1, that you still get Triss. But it is in no way the scale of having Yennefer in your face throughout TW3. If you choose Triss before meeting Yennefer in Skellige, the game behaves abysmally towards the player. The moment you arrive at the port and meet her, you should be able to tell her it's over; you should not be forced to endure all the flirting if you are not interested, the same way you can walk away from Triss and not do certain quests. You certainly don't get forced to kiss her.

And the fact that Geralt has "died" and come back means he can be whatever he wishes to be, and if he wishes to have matured and changed enough to realise that what he wanted once he no longer does, then he can. The game gives you chances to "reject" Yennefer, it just won't let you take them to a natural conclusion. It's a fanfiction spin off. Let alone the fact that most TW3 players won't ever read the books, or even have played TW2.

Top Bottom