Triss or Yen?

+

Triss or Yen?

• I read the books and choose Yen!

Votes: 80 29.3%
  • I haven't read the books and choose Yen!

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I read the books and choose Triss!

Votes: 85 31.1%
  • I haven't read the books and choose Triss!

Votes: 63 23.1%

• Total voters
I do not think she "out shines Geralt" and "saps him of his power". Those statements are really vague anyway. Geralt is still more instrumental than Yen in the storyline.

What I meant is if Geralt and Yen are both in the same room, Yen over powers him. She's a powerful woman, she takes control of the situation and he rarely ever says anything.

What I meant is if Geralt and Yen are both in the same room, Yen over powers him. She's a powerful woman, she takes control of the situation and he rarely ever says anything.

There's a lot more nuance to that. Plus like I said I usually agreed with her so there was no such conflict at all. A lot of the time where you could've made Geralt disagree with her it would've broken the story and made it impossible to find Ciri anyway.

I like the fact that she is strong willed anyway. You can prefer weak, submissive characters that would not act on their own, whatever floats your boat.

Did Triss say fuck Djikstra gold, we need to know about Dandelion (or Ciri). And in Now or Never quest, Djikstra help Triss to have a powerful friend in Kovir, not because of his gold

And why Triss couldn't know about Ciri in danger, simple: Ciri didn't told her, Dandelion didn't even try contact her

About the point of Yen, i somehow agree with you, maybe it is hard for her to contact Geralt in war time and the 2 of them constantly moving

Yes! But why the hell Djikstra help her and her mage a transportation during her quest. Yes Djikstra could gain some sort of favor and influence in Kovir but it still too risky for him to do that unless Triss do a favor for Djikstra. That favor could be locating Djikstra vault whether successful or not. Also seems to me Triss is quite prepare from this quest. Like hell she doesn't even know she will work together w/ Geralt during that quest. She only know her job is to get some information about Djikstra's vault.

Also Triss been working with the crime boss of Novigard and the most influential figure is Djikstra and have a lot of connection in all the bosses.

Like hell doing Djikstra quest you would know his personality in the game. He will not lend you a help if he will gain something exemption of saving Dandelion.

There's a lot more nuance to that. Plus like I said I usually agreed with her so there was no such conflict at all. A lot of the time where you could've made Geralt disagree with her it would've broken the story and made it impossible to find Ciri anyway.

I like the fact that she is strong willed anyway. You can prefer weak, submissive characters that would not act on their own, whatever floats your boat.

Sensitive much? I'm not talking about the storyline of the game, I'm talking about her and Geralt's relationship.

Saying Triss is weak and submissive is ridiculous.. I'm not debating that Triss is the better option, I'm giving my opinion on Yen. I just said that IN MY OPINION Yen out shines Geralt. Try not to take it so personally.

Sensitive much? I'm not talking about the storyline of the game, I'm talking about her and Geralt's relationship.

Saying Triss is weak and submissive is ridiculous.. I'm not debating that Triss is the better option, I'm giving my opinion on Yen. I just said that IN MY OPINION Yen out shines Geralt. Try not to take it so personally.

Didn't take it personally (you're clearly projecting), and didn't say that Triss is a weak and submissive character. But you do not seem to like that characters do not absolutely defer to you.

Yes! But why the hell Djikstra help her and her mage a transportation during her quest. Yes Djikstra could gain some sort of favor and influence in Kovir but it still too risky for him to do that unless Triss do a favor for Djikstra. That favor could be locating Djikstra vault whether successful or not. Also seems to me Triss is quite prepare from this quest. Like hell she doesn't even know she will work together w/ Geralt during that quest. She only know her job is to get some information about Djikstra's vault.

Also Triss been working with the crime boss of Novigard and the most influential figure is Djikstra and have a lot of connection in all the bosses.

Like hell doing Djikstra quest you would know his personality in the game. He will not lend you a help if he will gain something exemption of saving Dandelion.

From what i THINK, Triss bought a transportation herself (that why it a piece of junk), why Triss send Djikstra to check the ship if he bought it ? Why Djikstra told her about condition of the ship if he is the one who gave it to her ?

THIS QUEST is Count Reuven's Treasure right ? Yep Triss knew she will work with Geralt to locate Djikstra gold. She didn't know about Ciri and Dandelion until Geralt told her, and at this moment she decided to hell with Djikstra. After the quest maybe she help Djikstra with some favor to get money, but who know :D

Didn't take it personally (you're clearly projecting), and didn't say that Triss is a weak and submissive character. But you do not seem to like that characters do not absolutely defer to you.
Yen is the boss and Geralt just an employee
While Triss and Geralt are two equal partner

Last edited:
From what i THINK, Triss bought a transportation herself (that why it a piece of junk), why Triss send Djikstra to check the ship if he bought it ? Why Djikstra told her about condition of the ship if he is the one who gave it to her ?

THIS QUEST is Count Reuven's Treasure right ? Yep Triss knew she will work with Geralt to locate Djikstra gold. She didn't know about Ciri and Dandelion until Geralt told her, and at this moment she decided to hell with Djikstra. After the quest maybe she help Djikstra with some favor to get money, but who know :D

Djikstra is an A-hole and maybe a cheapskates:rly?:Like hell saving Dandelion, He only gives you three freaking henchman to save Dandelion.

Also the one guarding his vault is a poison tunnel and a dumb rock troll.
Even investigating his stolen belonging he only hired one guy then died from poison.

I think that the protagonist of the story should be a stronger character than the romance option. Any time Geralt is around Yen, she is in the lead. You can say I'm "Projecting" my feelings onto you but you're the one who got sensitive about it.

Djikstra is an A-hole and maybe a cheapskates:rly?:Like hell saving Dandelion, He only gives you three freaking henchman to save Dandelion.

Also the one guarding his vault is a poison tunnel and a dumb rock troll.
Even investigating his stolen belonging he only hired one guy then died from poison.

Djikstra even gave Geralt THREE HENCHMAN to save Dandelion !!! Now i respect him more. In the next playthrough i will make him king of the North :comeatmebro:

Nah, just kidding :whistle:

Djikstra even gave Geralt THREE HENCHMAN to save Dandelion !!! Now i respect him more. In the next playthrough i will make him king of the North :comeatmebro:

Nah, just kidding :whistle:

I know this is get off-topic but no wonders Philippa left Djikstra. Yes i know Phillipa is a lesbian.

Saying Triss is weak and submissive is ridiculous..

It's really not ridiculous, though. One of the things that makes these characters fun and engaging and interesting is that they've all got a tragic flaw, and Triss's real glaring flaw is cowardice. That manifests itself a bunch of times in the books, and while I think they did an understated job of it in the games, it still shows through really well:

- Wanted to flee at Sodden Hill, and again in Rivia when the shit hit the fan. Both times Yen slapped some resolve into her.

- Wouldn't stand up to Philippa or other powerful members of the Lodge in the books, even though she says herself that what they're doing is wrong.

- When the Nilfgaardians have her in TW2 she loses it before they even get down to the torture.

- In Now or Never, she's completely panicked throughout the whole thing. If Geralt doesn't show up, the whole thing is doomed.

Yennefer's flaw is that she's completely self-absorbed and the examples of this are numerous going back to her introduction in The Last Wish.

And in their relationships with Geralt these flaws manifest themselves pretty obviously. Yennefer will never, ever allow Geralt to win an argument with her, she has to be the dominant force in the relationship. And Triss is too insecure to really assert herself, which makes her come across as weak and submissive when she's with Geralt (and she mostly is).

Not sure I agree
Submissive when around Geralt possible

However cowardice how? She took control of all the mages in Novigrad. She only needed the extra push from Geralt at the very end. Something which Dijkstra likely could have done.
It was a good example of a reluctant leader having to do what was necessary for the first time.

She asserted herself among all the other mages. Deliberately went through torture even against Geralt's wishes. She is willing to sacrifice her own life for a just cause

These are not the actions of a coward

Not sure I agree
Submissive when around Geralt possible

However cowardice how? She took control of all the mages in Novigrad. She only needed the extra push from Geralt at the very end. Something which Dijkstra likely could have done.
It was a good example of a reluctant leader having to do what was necessary for the first time.

She asserted herself among all the other mages. Deliberately went through torture even against Geralt's wishes. She is willing to sacrifice her own life for a just cause

These are not the actions of a coward

Triss was a coward in the books.She's not anymore.Well,not as much of a coward at least.

Speaking of Triss in the books/game, is there any reason why she doesn't wear her hair down at all in the Witcher 3? In the books she was really proud of it.

Speaking of Triss in the books/game, is there any reason why she doesn't wear her hair down at all in the Witcher 3? In the books she was really proud of it.

Hmm, maybe she more cute, more young when use the "bun" hairstyle. If you want her hair down, wait for modder (i think this one is easy to mod ;))

For the same reason she has red hair instead of chestnut,green eyes instead of blue and wears low neckline,CDPR preference.

Whilst I do like her green eyes and red hair in the game... I would prefer if it was changed to chestnut and blue :(

Well, nothing a modder (even of my level) can fix.

I guess you're right, funny how Yen looks so like the book version. Ciri's pretty similar, minus her hair being white as supposed to ashen (though they still call it ashen!), not that I'm complaining though, I adore her design.

Last edited:
Whilst I do like her green eyes and red hair in the game... I would prefer if it was changed to chestnut and blue :(

Well, nothing a modder (even of my level) can fix.

Her hair colour was fine in TW2,but in TW3 it was so red it made my eyes hurt.

However cowardice how?

Well, other than the obvious panicking in life or death situations, you really see a lot of insecurity and fear of conflict in her relationships with Geralt and Philippa. In the Witcher 3, Triss still respects Philippa and seems to view her as a mentor, even though Philippa views her with utter contempt and has screwed her over bigtime both in the books and games. It seems to me that she's afraid to face the truth and fracture her relationship with a powerful patron. And when she gets upset with Geralt for going to confront Imlerith without telling anyone (and she's right! It was stupid!), she concedes the argument immediately after he rebuts with the extremely weak "Uhh, hey, you know I'd never let anything happen to Ciri" and pecks her on the forehead.

She's showing more backbone, sure, but I think the panicked plunge into quick fatalism in Now or Never and the fact that she is scared to press home an argument against Geralt -- even when she's clearly in the right -- just reinforces that the flaw is still present.

Top Bottom