Triss or Yen?

+

Triss or Yen?

• I read the books and choose Yen!

Votes: 80 29.3%
  • I haven't read the books and choose Yen!

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I read the books and choose Triss!

Votes: 85 31.1%
  • I haven't read the books and choose Triss!

Votes: 63 23.1%

• Total voters
I'm sure a lot of readers and even Sapkowski himself would disagree with the way you look at their relationship. But it's your opinion and I respect it. It's really hard for people who have not read the entire saga to understand Yen's position or Geralt's perspective. CDProject Red also made it seem like whatever romance between Geralt and Yen was held by the last wish, this is of course due to the fact so that the choice to romance Triss is open. But in fact, in the 1st book containing the last wish short story conveyed that the last wish only causes Geralt's Fate to intertwine with Yen for their rest of their life, which he did so to save this Sorceress' life whom he just met from the cunning Djinn. There was actually never love involved in the last wish but only fate. I understand that a lot of people will find Triss' personality more attractive and comfortable but there are also a lot of people in the forum who put down Yen's role in the series which I feel compelled to explain. Thanks for hearing me out anyways.

Thank you!I'm so sick of people misinterpreting the wish.

I'm sure a lot of readers and even Sapkowski himself would disagree with the way you look at their relationship. But it's your opinion and I respect it. It's really hard for people who have not read the entire saga to understand Yen's position or Geralt's perspective. CDProject Red also made it seem like whatever romance between Geralt and Yen was held by the last wish, this is of course due to the fact so that the choice to romance Triss is open. But in fact, in the 1st book containing the last wish short story conveyed that the last wish only causes Geralt's Fate to intertwine with Yen for their rest of their life, which he did so to save this Sorceress' life whom he just met from the cunning Djinn. There was actually never love involved in the last wish but only fate. I understand that a lot of people will find Triss' personality more attractive and comfortable but there are also a lot of people in the forum who put down Yen's role in the series which I feel compelled to explain. Thanks for hearing me out anyways.

The exact wording of the wish is never revealed and I think it's very easy to conclude that the reason their failed relationship keeps somehow coming back together is due -- at least in part -- to the wish. I certainly came to that conclusion after reading two short story collections and five novels. As for the Geralt/Yen relationship being an inversion of the traditional good girl / bad guy womanizer trope, I think it's pretty obvious that it was written that way intentionally. It's part of what makes them fun; the author cleverly took a very tired literary theme and turned it on its head.

How about idea that Djinn kills Geralt feelings after Yennefer asked him to break the spell? Djinn is a cruel and cunning creature. He could performe her wish by his own way.

half of the guys who voted "read the books and choose Triss" because they started reading the books after the games, where they already have a bias opinion?

99% of people here played the games first including the Yen voters. Unless you can read Polish, you either played the games first or are new to the series.

How can an opinion not be biased anyway?

Last edited:
half of the guys who voted "read the books and choose Triss" because they started reading the books after the games, where they already have a bias opinion?/QUOTE]

99% of people here played the games first including the Yen voters. Unless you can read Polish, you either played the games first or are new to the series.

I dont think so. I read books between tw2 and tw3. [russian language]. In russian speaking groups there are a lot of people who read the whole saga.

I dont think so. I read books between tw2 and tw3. [russian language]. In russian speaking groups there are a lot of people who read the whole saga.

Then you played the games first :p

---------- Updated at 05:33 PM ----------

The books were translated in many other languages besides polish long before the release of TW1.

Still how many people here actually read the books first? I know one guy who claimed too be an all knowing overseer who trolled the Triss content thread had no idea even about a big scene in TW1 :S Sorry but I don't take peoples word for it anymore.

Last edited:
Still how many people here actually read the books first? I know one guy who claimed too who trolled the Triss content thread had no idea about a big scene in TW1 :S

In Eastern Europe(particularly in Poland,Russia and Czech Republic)the books were very famous even before TW1 was released.But of course the magority of gamers played the game first,since the books are not very popular in the West.

Still how many people here actually read the books first?

Hmm how many? I don't know but countries like Poland, Russia, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Germany, France, Spain and many other European countries - where the Witcher saga is very popular since early 90s.

Why do you think CDPR decided to create a game based on the novels...they were and still are very popular fantasy books here...

I'm really glad to see that after the games the novels are getting their fans also in the UK and US.

In Eastern Europe(particularly in Poland,Russia and Czech Republic)the books were very famous even before TW1 was released.But of course the magority of gamers played the game first,since the books are not very popular in the West.

Oh I don't mean no one read the books first, just here is an English speaking forum and I believe people in those countries probably have their own forums where they speak their language. Some may be here, but probably not many. So im willing to bet the vast majority of voters here (Yen or Triss) played the games first so being biased or whatever that guy was going on about is just silly. Besides if you did read the books first I could just say something as silly such as you are just being biased to Yen :p

Oh I don't mean no one read the books first, just here is an English speaking forum and I believe people in those countries probably have their own forums where they speak their language. Some may be here, but probably not many. So im willing to bet the vast majority of voters here (Yen or Triss) played the games first so being biased or whatever that guy was going on about is just silly. Besides if you did read the books first I could just say something as silly such as you are just being biased to Yen :p

I am biased to Yen,I don't deny it ;)

In Europe, the Witcher Saga is really well known or even as much as Tolkien especially for the older generation, this is why the devs of CDproject Red respects them so much because it's the books they grew up with (watch the Gamespot interviews in Poland). I also would like to say that fans of the books will never put down Yen's role in the story contrary to pretty much all the Triss posts I see in this forum...But again I really welcome all the people who have took interest in the games to give the books a try!

For what it's worth, I do not think the novels are particularly great. There are some great moments in them, but the overall narrative has serious issues, which I don't think it'd be appropriate or constructive to go into detail about here and now.

Yen is not written as a likeable or particularly good person. That people love her and think she's great is entirely puzzling to me. To me, their relationship is more of a tragic look at a good man trying to save a bad woman from herself, in kind of a twist on the classic device of a good woman trying to save a bad man from himself.

It's not a question of hating the character, it's a role-playing game in which you've been placed in the shoes of Geralt of Rivia and you're making the decisions for him. If you gave me the choice of hitching the rest of my life to a spiteful, possessive, self-absorbed woman who doesn't really respect my values or opinions,* I'd say "no way." Partially because I've been there before (it's miserable) and partially because I'm removed from the situation and I can see it for what it is.

Throw Triss out of the equation entirely. I'm sending that second djinn a fruit basket.

* She has good qualities, too, of course.

Meh, we two wont get along.

I think the novels are great, warts and all (mostly in last book). On the same level as most other "great" fantasy.

And I love Yen as both a character and as the lover of Geralt.

Still how many people here actually read the books first? I know one guy who claimed too be an all knowing overseer who trolled the Triss content thread had no idea even about a big scene in TW1 :S Sorry but I don't take peoples word for it anymore.
I've read the books way before games was planned. And I saw TV series way before game was planned.

---------- Updated at 06:03 PM ----------

this is the typical Triss fans statement. Book are well known in Easter Europe.

Sorry if this sounds too much of my own personal experience, but I chose Triss.

Yennefer was a complicated relationship for me. In my experience, I was only attracted to women of her personality because the make up and brake up pain of the relationship tricked us psychological into thinking that as much as it hurt was equal to as much as the love we had for one another. It was toxic.

Triss was a very wasy chose for me. She's much like my fiance. A very stable relationship where all my friends and family love her. Everyone at Kaer Mohren seemed to prefer Triss presence.

So it was Triss for me and I'm hoping she gets more time in the expansion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom