Triss or Yen?

+

Triss or Yen?

• I read the books and choose Yen!

Votes: 80 29.3%
  • I haven't read the books and choose Yen!

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I read the books and choose Triss!

Votes: 85 31.1%
  • I haven't read the books and choose Triss!

Votes: 63 23.1%

• Total voters
@ajiehb You've made your view clear, you can stop spamming it now. Consider this a final warning.

@abex81 We also asked to stop accusing others of being trolls. If you think a post is is breaking forum rules, reporting it is enough, no need to throw around accusations, which only serves to derail threads.

Now, back on topic, please.

Questions like, Are you a book reader? Yes
Did you read the books first or not? No
Are you basing your choice on what's good for Geralt or as a player? as a player, my Geralt is not canon Geralt
Are you picking Yen only because it seems the "right" choice? Didn't pick Yen
What were you previous romantic choices? Triss and Triss
Did you stay "faithful"? Yes only slept with Keira because she been waiting too long for it XD
Did you take into consideration what other characters think about your relationships with either? Nope. I treated it how I would IRL
Are you in love with the character in a romantic way or are you in love with the character as in the story? Both
Does the relationship with Ciri matters? Need more understanding of what you are referring too to answer this
Would it matter if she voiced a strong opinion either way? Oh right, now I get it. No, my parents were married up until my Dad died but if they divorced, as much as it would hurt me it's not my choice like its not Ciri's. Love that piece of writing in the books though, even though you don't really see it in the games. So it matters even less for my non-canon Geralt.
Did you enjoy the books? Loved the first 3 and the last one. The middle ones were just ok.
Do you think there is only one possible canon or is the player allowed to make his own choice? I don't know if id even enjoy this series all that much without the choices, that is the best part of the games, especially the first 2...the 3rd one could be fun without being an RPG though.
Are the books the only canon? Hell no
Are the game just fanfiction or do you consider them a separate alternative universe? I take the games as canon, you can choose to ignore it or choose to ignore the books or join them together. It's how the player feels about it I guess. Me personally I feel I reforged the whole story, including the books by my choices to marry Triss, take political sides etc. But the books still count as the backstory for my games. Basically, I have created my own personal "canon" for the games, such is the beauty of RPGs!
Do you like the games's story more than the books? I like the games more than the books but based on story alone its a tough call, the books are well done but the story arcs of Letho and others is just amazing.
Or is it the other way around? Err, same as above^
Do you agree with Yen's actions? Not really, but for a sorceress she's not so bad.
Do you feel they are justified? Yes and no, really didn't like what she did to Geralt in some of the early books, using him to get the dragon and cheating on him but it's not really that big of a deal considering the type of people we encounter in the witcher universe she come's off as fairly reasonable.
What about Triss? I don't think I could answer this in a non-bias way so maybe I will just skip this one so im not giving her any unfair treatment ;)
How did you choose in the rest of the options available to you in the game? My Geralt is my own version of Geralt so yeah I did what I would expect him to do.
Were you spoiled as to possible results or scene? Yes, the crones quest from watching that 30 min gameplay trailer.
Did you actually read all these questions? No, I am sorcerer and read your mind instead. Sorry about that :p

Questions like, Are you a book reader? No, plan to, but thí mean i have no time to play the Witcher 3 :p
Did you read the books first or not? No
Are you basing your choice on what's good for Geralt or as a player? What good for Geralt, kill everyone if they try to hurt Geralt's friends
Are you picking Yen only because it seems the "right" choice? Never pick Yen, first time broke with her is hard, the second is easier
What were you previous romantic choices? Tris, and always be
Did you stay "faithful"? I confess, accidently sleep with Sasha ....
Did you take into consideration what other characters think about your relationships with either? I choose what i think it best for Geralt, don't care about anyone gossip :D
Are you in love with the character in a romantic way or are you in love with the character as in the story? Both
Does the relationship with Ciri matters? Yes, afterall Geralt is her adoptive father
Would it matter if she voiced a strong opinion either way? No, consider she save Geralt and Yen from the last book, and after that she have traveled between world by herself
Did you enjoy the books? Question 1
Do you think there is only one possible canon or is the player allowed to make his own choice? IF they want only one possible canon, go play action game
Are the books the only canon? Nope
Are the game just fanfiction or do you consider them a separate alternative universe? Book event is canon so as game's
Do you like the games's story more than the books? Don't know
Or is it the other way around? Don't know
Do you agree with Yen's actions? Yes and No, she only care about Geralt and Ciri's safety, consider other is inferior
Do you feel they are justified? With Geralt in the book, not the game's Geralt
What about Triss? Need i say more :p
How did you choose in the rest of the options available to you in the game? Like above, Geralt care only about his friend and help those in need, so that mean kill Radovid, say good bye do Djkstra. In addition, Geralt want to make peace, not war, Cerys rule Skellige :D
Were you spoiled as to possible results or scene? No, and that is the reason i want to press "New game" when Triss left :p
Did you actually read all these questions? Yep ;)

1. Are you a book reader?
2.Did you read the books first or not?
3.Are you basing your choice on what's good for Geralt or as a player?
4.Are you picking Yen only because it seems the "right" choice?
5.What were you previous romantic choices?
6.Did you stay "faithful"?
7.Did you take into consideration what other characters think about your relationships with either?
8.Are you in love with the character in a romantic way or are you in love with the character as in the story?
9.Does the relationship with Ciri matters?
10.Would it matter if she voiced a strong opinion either way?
11.Did you enjoy the books?
12.Do you think there is only one possible canon or is the player allowed to make his own choice?
13.Are the books the only canon?
14.Are the game just fanfiction or do you consider them a separate alternative universe?
15.Do you like the games's story more than the books?
16.Or is it the other way around?
17.Do you agree with Yen's actions?
18.Do you feel they are justified?
19.What about Triss?
20.How did you choose in the rest of the options available to you in the game?
21.Were you spoiled as to possible results or scene?
22.Did you actually read all these questions?

1. Yes.
2. A long time before the first game came out.
3. Both.
4. I like her actually. And Geralt likes her. We agree on this one.
5. In the previous Games? Triss both games.
6. Yes. Absolutely.
7. I do listen to what they have to say. And read inbetween the lines (AT MOST). Else... no.
8. As in the story really. Though she is the kind of character I can like IRL. Love is more complex though. Cant answer completely.
9. Yes.
10. It would. But as a tie breaker.
11. Among the best fantasy I ever read.
12. The beauty of video games. I think the player's canon matters. But DISRESPECT literature and you lose me.
13. No. The books are their own canon. And the games follow their canon. Easy concept really. So there are two canons.
14. I consider them a possible based on the books universe. Everything is fan-fiction if you REALLY wanna go there.
15. No. But it is a damn good attempt.
The very fact that I can compare it to the best of what fantasy literature has to offer already speaks volumes. Both for the Witcher games AND for gaming as an art form.

16. Answered ^^
17. Not all the time. But most of the time.
18. Most of the time they are.
19. I love her as a character. Both in the books and in the games. Just not as Geralt's lover. Or should I say, not AS much. But she is one hell of a character. Props to Sapkowski and CDPR.
20. Thinking through my knowledge of the game world and my own beliefs as a person and gamer.
21. Yes. I knew Fringilla was coming. And of the Ladies of The Woods from the trailers.
22. No.

Since I'm bored, I might as well awnser some of these questions:

4.Are you picking Yen only because it seems the "right" choice?
7.Did you take into consideration what other characters think about your relationships with either?
8.Are you in love with the character in a romantic way or are you in love with the character as in the story?
12.Do you think there is only one possible canon or is the player allowed to make his own choice?
14.Are the game just fanfiction or do you consider them a separate alternative universe?
17.Do you agree with Yen's actions?
18.Do you feel they are justified?
19.What about Triss?
20.How did you choose in the rest of the options available to you in the game?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Read some of fan translations really long ago - didn't finish them though.
2. TW1 -> some of the book(s) -> TW2 -> TW3
3. A combination of the two
4. Didn't pick Yen
5. Triss -> Triss -> Triss
6. Playthrought 1 -> no. Playthrough 2 -> yes
7. No
8. I don't see how you can distinguish one from the other. You only know the character from the story after all. Please clarify the question.
9. Matter in reference to the romantic choices, or matter in what regard? Of course it matter, it however doesn't influence my romantic choice.
10. See question 7
11. No, the fan translations where rather poor. I might try again soon with the 'official' translation though.
12. The game has choice built into it, so obviously the player gets to choose. The game is whatever the player wants it to be.
13. That all depends how you define 'canon'.
14. I don't see how this matter. For all intents and purposes it's the same thing.
15. Can't say.
16. Goto catch em allll pokeeeemonnn....
17. I don't judge
18. In her mind they are.
19. The same as above. Liking someone doesn't mean you always have to agree with their actions.
20. I make choices based on what Geralt knows and combine my own values with what I know about him and the world around him.
21. In some minor ways maybe. Nothing major.
22. I'm eating spaghetti right now. It's pretty good.

@Redemyr did I miss something or did you forget filling out your own questionnaire :popo:

Last edited:
@Redemyr did I miss something or did you forget filling out your own questionnaire :popo:

Actually I wrote this questions quickly since I was just trying to explain the point about needing many options in a poll and my gf was calling me to eat. Since you guys were good sport and answered it, qouting Geralt, I'd be a fool and an ingrate if didn't do the same. I'll also try to correct or clarify some.

Half of them

After W1.

Both

4.Are you picking Yen only because it seems the "right" choice? (forgot to add stuff integral to the story)
Not picking yen.

Triss/Triss

My heart was faithful, my impulses were not.

Yes

Both
(clarification romantic way is self explanatory; in the story I meant some characters can be good characters because they are interesting, they can be the hero, the villain, a friend, etc)

To a point
(what I meant here was disrupting the preexisting family dynamics)

Same as above
(if she, for example, told Geralt without shadow of a doubt she prefered Yennefer or Triss)

Kinda

Choice always

There is book canon and there is game canon

Alternative universe (as in a different work of art altogether)

Game's

Sorry should probably delete this one

17.Do you agree with Yen's actions, are they justified?
To some of them. And kind of.
(merged both this one and the next)

18. Replaced this one for,
Would you have done differently if the game had given you the option, even if it led to unexpected bad results.
Yes

19.What about Triss actions in Novigrad?
Yes, would have done the same.
(I'm talking about her actions in Novigrad, there are options to have Geralt agree or disagree with her selflessness)

20.How did you choose in the rest of the options available to you in the game?*
I refused money when I felt somebody else needed more than Geralt, took the hard road sometimes, sometimes I didn't-
(by this I meant if you took a more direct approach to results (Yen's way) or tried to help people along the way (Triss's way), even if it meant finding/protecting Ciri harder)

Yes
(I meant if you saw the results of the romantic choices before you played, I was spoiled as to the thresome ending)

No, sorry never checked them.

23.So who did you go for? Brief optional description or reasons. (why did I forget the most important question lol)
Triss.
Because she's my virtual crush. Sweet, girly, competent, lovable, selfless, nice, treats Geralt like an equal, open to suggestions. Also I love their story, they suffer a lot from it (mainly Triss) and eventually decide to give it all to be together, not caring about the consequences. Its an clear statement that loves conquers all.

*By this I meant if you took a more direct approach to results (Yen's way) or tried to help people along the way, refused money, etc (Triss's way), even if it meant finding/protecting Ciri harder
Also before you accuse me on bias on this, let me say that Yen's approach, trying to get the results no matter what, is actually something I would seriously consider if this was an OLD school RPG. Nowadays, most gaming companies are too afraid to make the player fail or suffer serious negative consequences if they take the "high road" all the time.
As an example, you can prevent Yen from engaging in necromancy and save the garden, but that means not finding UMA in time, thus not even able to save the sage (only get spell to find the Ciri and he dies) Him not being present means no quest to sway the wild hunt dude, which in turns makes the last battle a lot harder, which leads to some main characters dying there. Was saving the garden worth having Yen or/and Triss dying?

Anyhow, thanks for your insight, maybe some professional can make sense of this and do a propel analysis :)

I'm posting a the revised questions below in case somebody else wants to answer or revisit their answers:

4.Are you picking Yen only because it seems the "right" choice or she feels integral to the story?

8.Are you in love with the character in a romantic way or are you in love with the character as in the story (regardless of romantic appeal) ?

9.Does the relationship family dynamics with Ciri/Yen/Geralt matters in your choice?

10.Would it matter if Ciri voiced a strong opinion either way?

16.Deleted

18. Would you have done differently if given the option, even if it led to unexpected bad results.

20.Are your other actions in the game, closer to how you believe Yen would handle things or closer to Triss'?*

21.Were you spoiled as to possible romantic results or scenes?

23. So who did you go for? Brief optional description or reasons.

Read the books and chose Triss!

I came to the World of the Witcher via the Games, i don't play the Geralt from the Books, it is "MY" version of him and he likes Triss.:thumbup:

Just leaving this here. Geralt's voice actor says why he prefers Triss and I completely agree with everything he says.

[video]https://youtu.be/GTsy43v2wIA?t=16m31s[/video]

[16:30] and [34:14] are when he talks about it.

Last edited:
I'm posting a the revised questions below in case somebody else wants to answer or revisit their answers:

Uh, why not.

Yes.

2. Did you read the books first or not?
Nope, read them after W2.

3. Are you basing your choice on what's good for Geralt or as a player?
Both, really, though I think I'm not picking any choices that would go against my Geralt's views.

4. Are you picking Yen only because it seems the "right" choice?
No. In my opinion, the worst reasons to pick her are "that's what happened in the books" or "b-but she has more content!", since those have nothing to do with her character. And she is a very strong and interesting character.

5. What were you previous romantic choices?
Triss, always Triss.

6. Did you stay "faithful"?
Yes. And I only thought of Triss that one time, honest!

7. Did you take into consideration what other characters think about your relationships with either?
No.

8. Are you in love with the character in a romantic way or are you in love with the character as in the story?
Both. I really love Triss' character arc and how she's grown over time, both in the books and the games.

9. Does the relationship with Ciri matters?
She doesn't seem to care either way, especially since Geralt, Yen, and Triss will always support her.

10. Would it matter if she voiced a strong opinion either way?
Yes.

11. Did you enjoy the books?
Yes.

12. Do you think there is only one possible canon or is the player allowed to make his own choice?
If there is a choice - there shouldn't be a set canon.

13. Are the books the only canon?
The games are trying to do their own thing. I respect most of the book canon, but, for example, game-Geralt is not quite the same character as the book-Geralt. And that's good.

14. Are the game just fanfiction or do you consider them a separate alternative universe?
Separate universe.

15. Do you like the games's story more than the books?
Both have their moments, but I think so, yes.

16. Do you agree with Yen's actions, are they justified?
In W3? Completely. She did what she had to do and I would do the same for Ciri. The harpy shouldn't have wrecked the best bed in Kaer Morhen, though. That was over the line.

17. Would you have done differently if the game had given you the option, even if it led to unexpected bad results.
I don't think so.

18. What about Triss actions in Novigrad?
Same. Wish she'd do more, though.

19. How did you choose in the rest of the options available to you in the game?
I always help my friends and put them above others. Get involved in politics, because politics are fun tbh. Don't kill any sentient harmless monsters, as that seems like the most Geralt thing to do. So, a mix of both Triss' and Yen's ways.

20. Were you spoiled as to possible results or scene?
Not really. I think I saw the threesome scene at some point, but that didn't affect my choice. Time and again before the release, I said that the threesome scene was a ruse, but none of you whoresons believed me.

21. Did you actually read all these questions?
Ayy lmao.

22. So who did you go for? Brief optional description or reasons.
Triss. As I've already mentioned, I loved her character arc. Struggling with dual loyalty, starting out fairly incompetent and cowardly, but eventually growing up into a fine sorceress, even a leader. I really appreciate her always being open about her emotions. And her kind heart (almost too kind) works well with Geralt, who can come off as a bit of a cunt (or actually be that way, depending on your choices).

Ok, this questionnaire is making motivations a lot more clear, interesting patterns become visible. 'Book reader/non-reader' difference is not so relevant as 'read before games/read after games' - both parties look at Triss through the prism of their earlier experience :)

Ok, this questionnaire is making motivations a lot more clear, interesting patterns become visible. 'Book reader/non-reader' difference is not so relevant as 'read before games/read after games' - both parties look at Triss through the prism of their earlier experience

So? That doesn't make their preference any less legitimate than those who read the books before hand.

So? That doesn't make their preference any less legitimate than those who read the books before hand.

I didn't say a word about legitimacy (this term is weird to use about romance preferences :) ). Before that quiz I just had no clue why there are so many votes for the third option in the poll, and now I see some common patterns - that's what social statistics is all about :)

Ok, this questionnaire is making motivations a lot more clear, interesting patterns become visible. 'Book reader/non-reader' difference is not so relevant as 'read before games/read after games' - both parties look at Triss through the prism of their earlier experience :)

Yeah,I think for those,who played the games first Triss has an advantage.They pay more attention to her scenes and give her more importance,even though she's a minor character.And when she does something horrible it can be excused or overlooked,because she becomes a better person later in the games.

Okay, here we go :

Yes, I've read the two books with the short stories plus the five saga books.

TW1 -> TW2 -> books -> TW3

both, feels like 50/50

4.Are you picking Yen only because it seems the "right" choice or she feels integral to the story?
I don't pick her at all.

Triss / Triss

More or less ;)

No.

8.Are you in love with the character in a romantic way or are you in love with the character as in the story (regardless of romantic appeal) ?
Both.

9.Does the relationship family dynamics with Ciri/Yen/Geralt matters in your choice?
No.

10.Would it matter if Ciri voiced a strong opinion either way?
No.

More or less, they were okay but definatly not the best fantasy I've read. I think I wouldn't read them without knowing the games.

The player is allowed to make choices.

For the books : yes. The game has no canon, it's up to the player.

Fan Fiction. The author wasn't involved.

Yes, I have to admit...

From a certain point of view : yes. But not from my point of view ;) So I disagree with most of her actions (not with all, but with the majority).

18. Would you have done differently if given the option, even if it led to unexpected bad results.
Yes.

I would have act in almost the same way.

20.Are your other actions in the game, closer to how you believe Yen would handle things or closer to Triss'?*
Closer to Triss.

21.Were you spoiled as to possible romantic results or scenes?
No

Yes, Sir.

23. So who did you go for? Brief optional description or reasons.
Triss.
I don't like the way Yen is treating Geralt. You can be a strong and independent person without treating the guy you love like a dog.
Triss is as brave and strong as Yen but not in a selfish way. She is eye to eye with Geralt, accepts him as he is and doesn't tell him what to do or not.

Last edited:
Yeah,I think for those,who played the games first Triss has an advantage.They pay more attention to her scenes and give her more importance,even though she's a minor character.And when she does something horrible it can be excused or overlooked,because she becomes a better person later in the games.

Swings and roundabouts. No doubt for those who read the books first Yen has an advantage, and her horrible actions are more easily excused/overlooked.

Top Bottom