+

Triss vs Yennefer [NOW WITH SPOILERS. Oh, well.]

• I like triss better

Votes: 269 49.5%
  • i like yen better

Votes: 200 36.8%
  • I like tris better, and from a RP point, I would have to go for yen

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • from a RP point, I'd go with triss aswell.

Votes: 25 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it was a design choice? One sorceress in each area in act1. Keira in velen. And the other two in the other two areas.
Btw the argument can be made the opposite way. If we contact yen first without finishing the other two trails why doesn't she come and help over there.

Welcome back, Radovid. I really miss you. I am thinking of joining your side, just promise don't touch Kovir :devil:
Erm...yeah...sure definitely wont invade and destroy mega-rich Kovir....

Maybe it was a design choice? One sorceress in each area in act1. Keira in velen. And the other two in the other two areas.
Btw the argument can be made the opposite way. If we contact yen first without finishing the other two trails why doesn't she come and help over there.

Waiting for @ajiehb answer, why i didn't think of this sooner :facepalm:

Erm...yeah...sure definitely wont invade and destroy mega-rich Kovir....

I will hold you to that
Cleanse the filthy mage heathens of their unholiness, except in Kovir :devil:

Last edited:
@wichat and I have been talking a lot about the Yen/Triss thing and the main plot of the game. And we've got a conclusion.

The Main plot of TW3 -with no sidequests- is this:

A father (Geralt of Rivia) and a mother (Yennefer of Vengerberg) meet each other again -after an unexpected separation- in order to find their daughter, who is in danger. Cirilla. Many people want her to conquer the world using her extraordinary powers.

And here you have the list of characters who take a relevant role in the Main Quests:

(Notice I've replaced Yennefer's name with 'Ciri's mother' in order to make easier to distinguish the same character with a different role in certain sidequests - Yennefer is not just a character to romance. She is more than that, she is and acts like Ciri's mom).

The Witcher 3: Prologue (Kaer Morhen, White Orchard)

•Kaer Morhen
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Vesemir, Ciri

•Lilac and Gooseberries
Characters:
Vesemir, Gaunter O'Dim, Nilfgaardian Captain

•The Beast of White Orchard
Characters:
Nilfgaardian Captain, Tomira, Mislav

•The Incident In White Orchard
Characters:
Vesemir, Yennefer Ciri's Mother

Act One

•Imperial Audience
Characters:
Morvran Voorhis, Emhyr var Emreis, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Ambassador var Attre

•The Bloody Baron
Characters:
Philip Strenger, Sergeant Ardal, Old Peasant, Baron's Guards

•Family Matters
Characters:
Philip Strenger, The Pellar

•A Princess in Distress
Characters:

•Hunting a Witch
Characters:
Keira Metz

•Wandering in the Dark
Characters:
Keira Metz, Nithral, Eredin, Caranthir

•Ladies of the Wood
Characters:
Travik, Johnny, Weavess, Brewwess, Whispess

•The Whispering Hillock
Characters:

The Witcher 3: Act One – Novigrad

•Pyres of Novigrad
Characters:
Captain Menge, Francis Bedlam, Triss Merigold, Kluhg, Brandon

Novigrad Dreaming
Characters:
Rudolf de Jonkheer, Corrine Tilly, Sarah

•Broken Flowers
Characters:
var Attre, Edna var Attre, Barroness la Valette, General Voorhis

•Get Junior/ Visiting Junior
Characters:
Varese, Sigi Reuven, Igor the Hook, Vernon Roche,
Ciri, Dandelion, Dudu

•Count Reuven’s Treasure
Characters:
Sigismund Dijkstra, Bart, Fonce, Happen the Eunuch, Triss Merigold, Yamurlak, Priscilla

•The Play’s The Thing
Characters:
Priscilla, Irina Renarde, Nissa, Sofus the Bull, Hal, Abelard Rizza, Maxim Boliere, Dudu

•A Poet Under Pressure
Characters:
Zoltan Chivay, Priscilla, Dandelion

The Witcher 3: Act One – Skellige

•Destination: Skellige
Characters:
Captain Liglad, Captain Wolverstone, Steingrim, Trofast, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Ermion, Crach an Craite

•The King is Dead – Long Live the King
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Birna Bran, Cerys an Craite, Otrygg, Odalryk, Donar an Hindar, Crach an Craite

•Echoes of the Past
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Ermion

•Missing Persons
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Priestess of Freya, Tordar, Morkvarg

•Nameless
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Priestess of Freya, Morkvarg, Craven

•The Calm Before the Storm
Characters:
Skjall, Ciri, Astrid

The Witcher 3: Act Two

•Ugly Baby
Characters:
Uma, Emhyr var Emreis, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Vesemir

•Disturbance/◦The Final trial/◦To Bait a Forktail…
Characters:
Uma, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Vesemir/Eskel, Scorpion/ Lambert

•No Place Like Home
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Vesemir, Uma, Lambert, Eskel, Cyrus Hemmelfart

•Va Fail, Elaine
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Vesemir, Uma, Lambert, Eskel

•The Isle of Mists
Characters:
Ivo, Ferenc, Gaspard, Ciri

•The Battle of Kaer Morhen
Characters:
Vesemir, Ciri, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Triss Merigold, Hjalmar an Craite, Folan, Vigi, Zoltan Chivay, Ermion, Eskel, Vernon Roche, Ves, Letho, Keira Metz

•Blood on the Battlefield
Characters:
Hjalmar an Craite, Zoltan Chivay, Ermion, Eskel, Vernon Roche, Ves, Letho, Keira Metz, Ciri, Triss Merigold, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Emhyr var Emreis, Morvran Voorhis

The Witcher 3: Act Three

•Bald Mountain
Characters:
Ciri, Johnny, Sarah, Marica, Thecla

•Final Preparations
Characters:
Ciri, Zoltan Chivay, Dandelion

•Blindingly Obvious/
Characters:
Triss Merigold, Philippa Eilhart, Sigismund Dijkstra

•The Great Escape/
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Abbe Faria, Margarita Laux-Antille, Sile de Tancarville

•Payback/
Characters:
Ciri, Cyprian Willey, Dudu, Bea, Valdo, Aegar

•Through Time and Space
Characters:
Avallac'h, Viceroy Ge'els, Ciri, Corrine Tilly

•Battle Preparations
Characters:
Sigismund Dijkstra, Vernon Roche, Thaler, Philippa Eilhart, King Redovid V, Ves

•Veni Vidi Vigo
Characters:
Emhyr var Emreis, Fringilla Vigo

•The Sunstone
Characters:
Philippa Eilhart, Donar an Hindar, Cerys an Craite, Hjalmar an Craite, Udalryk, Crach an Craite, Ermion, Eyvind

•The Child of the Elder Blood
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Ciri, Avallac'h's Companion

•Skjall’s Grave
Characters:
Ciri, Skjall, Hindarsfjall Villagers

•On Thin Ice
Characters:
Triss Merigold, Philippa Eilhart, Fringilla Vigo, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Ciri, Crach an Craite, Avallac'h

•Tedd Deireadh, The Final Age
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Avallac'h, Ciri

Summarizing. If you pay attention, CDPR wanted to give us a story in which romances are not the main subject: love stories have been placed in the background.

The weaknesses of the resolution of the third act, including dialogues, are evident. Especially for those characters who appear at the beginning of the game and Geralt interacts with, are almost forgotten in the end.

But trying to impose that a supporting character become a main character and replace others -including other supporting ones- and take part in the Main plot, is like trying to break the original CDPR's idea and conception of the game, which is based on the Sapkowski's lore by own decision, not mine or ours - where Yennefer and Ciri are main characters and for example, Triss isn't.

So any changes for "correcting" this "failure" that some of us are demanding make no sense at all and are out of the place, for example these ones:

+ Triss to appear at the start of Act 2 in Kaer Morhen.
+ Triss added to the trial of grasses scene.
+ Triss replacing Philippa during the Sun Stone quest if in a romance with her. Seriously?? Philippa is the most experienced sorceress and need to be in this quest.

They would have to re-do the entire game!!! Re-do its own game for a new one, a fan service game!!! And I think we all should show more respect for CDPR's work...

IMO, the only logical solution is an EE with the Act 3 extended, more according to the previous choices in the game but not very big or nonsense changes.

Last edited:
If we contact yen first without finishing the other two trails why doesn't she come and help over there.

Probably because Uma's thread is the most recent and informative one, there's no preliminary known reason for Geralt to investigate things in Velen and Novigrad after that, it's turning into backtracking of Ciri's footsteps between two arrivals on Skellige. Only phylactery and exact wording of the curse are useful out there, but it's not a very obvious motivation before Geralt stumbled into them.

Last edited:
after reading some of the books, and playing the games, i can say without a doubt that i like triss way more. yennefer feels somewhat selfish and with a bad attitude. :facepalm2:

So any changes for "correcting" this "failure" that some of us are demanding make no sense at all and are out of the place, for example these ones:

+ Triss replacing Philippa during the Sun Stone quest if in a romance with her. Seriously?? Philippa is the most experienced sorceress and need to be in this quest.

They would have to re-do the entire game!!! Re-do its own game for a new one, a fan service game!!! And I think we all should show more respect for CDPR's work...

IMO, the only logical solution is an EE with the Act 3 extended, more according to the previous choices in the game but not very big or nonsense changes.

-You think 3 point above have a chance to show in game ? Nope, never. Just a fun suggestion or if someone like the idea, he/she can write a fan-fiction about it
-Still Tris romance lack something, 3 primary point: before final battle, in the boat, some talk about the kiss
-And "the Sun Stone" quest, Geralt said to Ermion he will bring the whold band. So why not let Vigo, Magarita, Triss and Phillipa all accompany him in the quest :lol:

after reading some of the books, and playing the games, i can say without a doubt that i like triss way more. yennefer feels somewhat selfish and with a bad attitude. :facepalm2:

You have said some forbidden word when describe about Yen :whistle:

She have trust issue and short on patient for correctly :lol:

Last edited:
@wichat and I have been talking a lot about the Yen/Triss thing and the main plot of the game. And we've got a conclusion.

The Main plot of TW3 -with no sidequests- is this:

And here you have the list of characters who take a relevant role in the Main Quests:

(Notice I've replaced Yennefer's name with 'Ciri's mother' in order to make easier to distinguish the same character with a different role in certain sidequests - Yennefer is not just a character to romance. She is more than that, she is and acts like Ciri's mom).

The Witcher 3: Prologue (Kaer Morhen, White Orchard)

•Kaer Morhen
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Vesemir, Ciri

•Lilac and Gooseberries
Characters:
Vesemir, Gaunter O'Dim, Nilfgaardian Captain

•The Beast of White Orchard
Characters:
Nilfgaardian Captain, Tomira, Mislav

•The Incident In White Orchard
Characters:
Vesemir, Yennefer Ciri's Mother

Act One

•Imperial Audience
Characters:
Morvran Voorhis, Emhyr var Emreis, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Ambassador var Attre

•The Bloody Baron
Characters:
Philip Strenger, Sergeant Ardal, Old Peasant, Baron's Guards

•Family Matters
Characters:
Philip Strenger, The Pellar

•A Princess in Distress
Characters:

•Hunting a Witch
Characters:
Keira Metz

•Wandering in the Dark
Characters:
Keira Metz, Nithral, Eredin, Caranthir

•Ladies of the Wood
Characters:
Travik, Johnny, Weavess, Brewwess, Whispess

•The Whispering Hillock
Characters:

The Witcher 3: Act One – Novigrad

•Pyres of Novigrad
Characters:
Captain Menge, Francis Bedlam, Triss Merigold, Kluhg, Brandon

Novigrad Dreaming
Characters:
Rudolf de Jonkheer, Corrine Tilly, Sarah

•Broken Flowers
Characters:
var Attre, Edna var Attre, Barroness la Valette, General Voorhis

•Get Junior/ Visiting Junior
Characters:
Varese, Sigi Reuven, Igor the Hook, Vernon Roche,
Ciri, Dandelion, Dudu

•Count Reuven’s Treasure
Characters:
Sigismund Dijkstra, Bart, Fonce, Happen the Eunuch, Triss Merigold, Yamurlak, Priscilla

•The Play’s The Thing
Characters:
Priscilla, Irina Renarde, Nissa, Sofus the Bull, Hal, Abelard Rizza, Maxim Boliere, Dudu

•A Poet Under Pressure
Characters:
Zoltan Chivay, Priscilla, Dandelion

The Witcher 3: Act One – Skellige

•Destination: Skellige
Characters:
Captain Liglad, Captain Wolverstone, Steingrim, Trofast, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Ermion, Crach an Craite

•The King is Dead – Long Live the King
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Birna Bran, Cerys an Craite, Otrygg, Odalryk, Donar an Hindar, Crach an Craite

•Echoes of the Past
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Ermion

•Missing Persons
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Priestess of Freya, Tordar, Morkvarg

•Nameless
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Priestess of Freya, Morkvarg, Craven

•The Calm Before the Storm
Characters:
Skjall, Ciri, Astrid

The Witcher 3: Act Two

•Ugly Baby
Characters:
Uma, Emhyr var Emreis, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Vesemir

•Disturbance/◦The Final trial/◦To Bait a Forktail…
Characters:
Uma, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Vesemir/Eskel, Scorpion/ Lambert

•No Place Like Home
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Vesemir, Uma, Lambert, Eskel, Cyrus Hemmelfart

•Va Fail, Elaine
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Vesemir, Uma, Lambert, Eskel

•The Isle of Mists
Characters:
Ivo, Ferenc, Gaspard, Ciri

•The Battle of Kaer Morhen
Characters:
Vesemir, Ciri, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Triss Merigold, Hjalmar an Craite, Folan, Vigi, Zoltan Chivay, Ermion, Eskel, Vernon Roche, Ves, Letho, Keira Metz

•Blood on the Battlefield
Characters:
Hjalmar an Craite, Zoltan Chivay, Ermion, Eskel, Vernon Roche, Ves, Letho, Keira Metz, Ciri, Triss Merigold, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Emhyr var Emreis, Morvran Voorhis

The Witcher 3: Act Three

•Bald Mountain
Characters:
Ciri, Johnny, Sarah, Marica, Thecla

•Final Preparations
Characters:
Ciri, Zoltan Chivay, Dandelion

•Blindingly Obvious/
Characters:
Triss Merigold, Philippa Eilhart, Sigismund Dijkstra

•The Great Escape/
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Abbe Faria, Margarita Laux-Antille, Sile de Tancarville

•Payback/
Characters:
Ciri, Cyprian Willey, Dudu, Bea, Valdo, Aegar

•Through Time and Space
Characters:
Avallac'h, Viceroy Ge'els, Ciri, Corrine Tilly

•Battle Preparations
Characters:
Sigismund Dijkstra, Vernon Roche, Thaler, Philippa Eilhart, King Redovid V, Ves

•Veni Vidi Vigo
Characters:
Emhyr var Emreis, Fringilla Vigo

•The Sunstone
Characters:
Philippa Eilhart, Donar an Hindar, Cerys an Craite, Hjalmar an Craite, Udalryk, Crach an Craite, Ermion, Eyvind

•The Child of the Elder Blood
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Ciri, Avallac'h's Companion

•Skjall’s Grave
Characters:
Ciri, Skjall, Hindarsfjall Villagers

•On Thin Ice
Characters:
Triss Merigold, Philippa Eilhart, Fringilla Vigo, Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Ciri, Crach an Craite, Avallac'h

•Tedd Deireadh, The Final Age
Characters:
Yennefer Ciri's Mother, Avallac'h, Ciri

Summarizing. If you pay attention, CDPR wanted to give us a story in which romances are not the main subject: love stories have been placed in the background.

The weaknesses of the resolution of the third act, including dialogues, are evident. Especially for those characters who appear at the beginning of the game and Geralt interacts with, are almost forgotten in the end.

But trying to impose that a supporting character become a main character and replace others -including other supporting ones- and take part in the Main plot, is like trying to break the original CDPR's idea and conception of the game, which is based on the Sapkowski's lore by own decision, not mine or ours - where Yennefer and Ciri are main characters and for example, Triss isn't.

+1 :like: great comment

Very interesting opinion about Triss vs. Yen from Torgo

Although Triss was OK in the earlier games, in this game she was just plain irritating. The voice actress was giving me a headache, sounded so naggy and obnoxious; she has a really unpleasant american accent, and her face is kind of unappealing. When she was running around the hedge maze giggling like a child I wanted to lop her head off.
Yennifer is much more attractive and dignified. I haven't finished the game, but so far Yen seems like a strong independent lady, not the token damsel in distress like Triss. Yen is kind of dark and mysterious, she has a nice accent (not the whining american tone). Triss seems like a sloppy nagging monster by comparison.

:laser:

This is Ciri's story. Ofc all, besides Ciri - background.

...and besides Triss ofc :lol:

No, it's not. It's Geralt who decides everything in this game. Everything Ciri does is dependent on what Geralt does and says.

CDPR wanted to give us a kind of "fancy" story with a twisted hero setting that just doesn't work in the end. Instead they should have given us a story like they promised. A story that is about Geralt(!!!) and his dear ones and about his personal relationships. Ciri is not the only important factor in that, especially not a Ciri that only works as plot tool. Both his relationships to Yen and Triss are actually more fleshed out and mutual and even complex than his relationship to Ciri.

But whatever, I'm done with TW3. It's beyond salvation for me. Personally, I don't need any poorly done EE that is basically just misunderstood fan-service to give either Yennefer of Triss more screen time. Compared to the fundamental flaws of this game's narrative this seems like a rather irrelevant issue to me. The EE I have in mind would require way too much work, work that is beyond a reasonable scope. But everything short of that is like adding small details to the edges of a paiting on which you emptied out a bucket of black paint before. :p

But I do get why the topic is so important for some. Totally different reasons to play the game I guess... ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom