+

Triss vs Yennefer [NOW WITH SPOILERS. Oh, well.]

• I like triss better

Votes: 269 49.5%
  • i like yen better

Votes: 200 36.8%
  • I like tris better, and from a RP point, I would have to go for yen

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • from a RP point, I'd go with triss aswell.

Votes: 25 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather them as background information for the games. Does it make sense?

I went true neutral and Shani in TW1. Then read the books which shaped my decisions in TW2 (was disappointed Yen was only mentioned and in flashbacks).
That's the problem of knowing the background information. I should have avoided the books.

This.

My gateway into the witcher universe were the games. And for me they are also its "main" medium. The books are great and imo very much worth a read, but for me, I don't see the games as an adaptation of the books. Rather them as background information for the games. Does it make sense?

I have no problem with you feeling that way. But you should be aware that many people know and love the books and see it as the core of the franchise. And from a pure objective point of view the books are the its "main" medium. That's how CDPR sees it themselves. They made it pretty clear that the games are an adaption of the books and not the other way round. That doesn't mean that you can't see the games as your personal favorite, detached from the books.

@Scholdarr.452 but isn't that what a harmonic and stable relationship is supposed to be about and how it's supposed to work and look like? Which is exactly why I blame Geralt for not being able to accept it and adjust himself, for whatever pathetic reason (emotional instability). I'm not saying it's only his fault, like I said, Yennefer, her personality and dark past didn't make it easy for him. 90% Geralt's fault. It's a typical "our hero is growing and we're watching the process" story...

I read the short story ages ago, but you're putting the blame on Geralt for being cucked and played like that? Dang.

I have no problem with you feeling that way. But you should be aware that many people know and love the books and see it as the core of the franchise.

Of course. For those who got introduced to the world by the books it is normal to see it that way. And I love the books too, just not as much as I love the games.

And from a pure objective point of view the books are the its "main" medium.
Allow me to disagree here. Objectivity must be based on "hard" facts. Numbers are great for this. One number could be dates and which came out first, so in that case you would be correct. However, if you consider the number of people who played the games and never read the books and viceversa, then it is clear for most people the Witcher series is a "gaming" franchise.

That's how CDPR sees it themselves. They made it pretty clear that the games are an adaption of the books and not the other way round. That doesn't mean that you can't see the games as your personal favorite, detached from the books.

Yes, they read the books first (logical lol). Yet, remember that for CDPR it was not their main "goal" to make a game based on the witcher books. The wanted to make a game, period. Once they decided that and were looking for themes for it, they found out that the IP was held by another gaming company that wasn't doing anything concrete with it, so they managed to secure it for themselves.

---------- Updated at 07:35 PM ----------

Before you go any further with misinterpreting the ending with Yennefer...

Please just watch. Yennefer said they can give it a shot for a month or two or eternity.

Geralt said he is WILLING TO TRY! If you went ahead and just agreed with her proposition without asking her
any questions in your playthrough then why would you complain about it? You simply got what you agreed to...

Not once can he disagree with her, not once he could he say no he likes witchering. Same situation triss says if you want i could drop the entire Kovir thing. Thank you for proving my point.

You prefer the proverbial ball buster good for you, just not everyone likes that.

Oh regarding the books my introduction to the franchise was the games as well.

Not once can he disagree with her, not once he could he say no he likes witchering. Same situation triss says if you want i could drop the politics. Thank you for proving my point.

You prefer the proverbial ball buster good for you, just not everyone likes that.

Geralt disagrees with Yen all the time.He can question her every desicion.And she never said that she disapproves of him being a witcher.Seriously,where did you get that from!?

Talking about the vid that was linked, from the discussions its clear you favour the book characters and their specific reasons and more power to you. I view the situation from the games itself not the books. Since we are at an impass there is nothing left to discuss.

Again you prefer Yen good for you, just not all of us do. Or is my subjective statement have to be analysed as well?

From the game Geralt has to deal with consequences due to Yennefer's actions. Steal a mask, nearly nuke an island, destroy sacred grounds etc. I personally find People who make rash decisions without considering the consequences annoying and therefore Yen falls into the category.

Sure some like that she snaps but only because geralt is a lowly witcher, all her wit and personality go away in front of the emperor. In end i find her obnoxious. When Geralts brothers, Vesemir and his friends all point out she is toxic then it has to be considered. If something is toxic, feels toxic, everyone says its toxic then no matter how you sugarcoat it its toxic.

Last edited:
Talking about the vid that was linked, from the discussions its clear you favour the book characters and their specific reasons and more power to you. I view the situation from the games itself not the books. Since we are at an impass there is nothing left to discuss.

Again you prefer Yen good for you, just not all of us do. Or is my subjective statement have to be analysed as well?

It's not about you not liking Yen.It's about you misinterpreting Yen's character.

Not once can he disagree with her, not once he could he say no he likes witchering. Same situation triss says if you want i could drop the entire Kovir thing. Thank you for proving my point.

Oh regarding the books my introduction to the franchise was the games as well.

While monarchs moved borders and populations, Geralt and Yennefer lived a calm, quiet life far from all things political.
They breakfasted well after noon, more often than not in bed, and passed the days on lazy strolls and long conversations.
Boring, you say? Perhaps. But both had sought this more than anything else.

Any mentions of Geralt stopping his witchering or Yennefer forbidding him to do so? Nope. ;)

You can discuss or disagree with her literally all the time. There is no mention of no witchering.

While monarchs moved borders and populations, Geralt and Yennefer lived a calm, quiet life far from all things political.
They breakfasted well after noon, more often than not in bed, and passed the days on lazy strolls and long conversations.
Boring, you say? Perhaps. But both had sought this more than anything else.

Any mentions of Geralt stopping his witchering or Yennefer forbidding him to do so? Nope.

There is no mentioning of him witchering either. If you can use exclusion of a statement as evidence then so can i.

Geralt disagrees with Yen all the time.He can question her every desicion.

Yeah, I think they did a really good job on that part. The game gives the player the opportunity to object to her actions and question her decisions and at no point does she give a damn about Geralt's opinion or his values. I think they captured the dynamics of the relationship pretty well even in the short amount of time they had to introduce the character.

Of course. For those who got introduced to the world by the books it is normal to see it that way. And I love the books too, just not as much as I love the games.
Again, there is nothing wrong with that feeling. It still doesn't change the fact that the games are not the main medium of the franchise. The games are "just" (professional) fan-fiction.

Allow me to disagree here. Objectivity must be based on "hard" facts. Numbers are great for this. One number could be dates and which came out first, so in that case you would be correct. However, if you consider the number of people who played the games and never read the books and viceversa, then it is clear for most people the Witcher series is a "gaming" franchise.
Majority votes are no hard fact. Dates is, like you said. Or just the very nature of the issue itself.

Let's see what CDPR has to say on the topic:

"It's true that the game was based on the popularity of the Witcher novels, so there's no sense in wondering what came first, the chicken or the egg. In this case, the books and the author are both of those things.

"Our cooperation has a strict and defined direction. I can't imagine Andrzej Sapkowski playing a game to do research for the new novels. This is unlikely and would look like writing a book for a game or movie release, which ends badly in most cases; the novel winds up in a collector's edition and then covers with dust somewhere on the gamer's shelf.

"We want to develop The Witcher's universe in other media, not only video games. We have Mr. Sapkowsk's blessing and what we create is in line with his vision of the world, no matter how the saga will evolve.

"We want The Witcher's universe to be a part of pop-culture like Star Wars or The Lord of the Rings, and for our fanbase to expand rapidly. We just have to carefully and diligently do our thing.
Quote by CDPR head Adam Badowski anno 2012

Edit: Sorry for the off-topic.

Geralt disagrees with Yen all the time.He can question her every desicion.And she never said that she disapproves of him being a witcher.Seriously,where did you get that from!?

I believe the point he is trying to make is that the three choices available when reacting to Yennefer's plans are:

a)Geralt agreeing.
b)Geralt sceptic about the plan.
c)Geralt having doubts about whether she'll like the plan.

Whereas when reacting to Triss's plan the options are:
a)Geralt agreeing.
b)Geralt saying he doesn't know.
c)Geralt disagreeing.

I believe the point he is trying to make is that the three choices available when reacting to Yennefer's plans are:

a)Geralt agreeing.

a)Geralt agreeing.
c)Geralt disagreeing.

This is precisely it. Thanks. Basically with Triss he gets to express his likes and dislikes.

Last edited:

a)Geralt agreeing.

a)Geralt agreeing.
c)Geralt disagreeing.

So what?Because the developers didn't give players an option to refuse,Yennefer somehow forced him to retire?It makes no sense.

Sure you can but as i said that just because something is excluded does not make it evidence. Cause by the same stance one can take many things as evidence. So we take what it is factually as it is presented.

In the end with Triss Geralt can lay down his likes dislike and his motivation. That is not present with Yennefer. So as one who played the game it is safe to conclude with Triss i have a choice with Yen its her way or highway.

So what?Because the developers didn't give players an option to refuse,Yennefer somehow forced him to retire?It makes no sense.

Not to mention that retiring is very in character for Geralt..do you think he likes being a witcher? Please..he may like travelling etc but he never enjoyed the fate which was decided for him...so i don't really understand the point some of you are trying to make

---------- Updated at 02:31 PM ----------

c)Geralt disagreeing

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried this option? What happens? Because the ending is still the same, right? So all in all those dialogue options have no impact whatsoever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom