+

Triss vs Yennefer [NOW WITH SPOILERS. Oh, well.]

• I like triss better

Votes: 269 49.5%
  • i like yen better

Votes: 200 36.8%
  • I like tris better, and from a RP point, I would have to go for yen

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • from a RP point, I'd go with triss aswell.

Votes: 25 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although that's a bit off-topic here: I think a Witcher game that is set many years BEFORE the books could be pretty great and much, much better than the concept of TW1-3. All of these games have to struggle with the creative limitations from the books (because they have to continue them somehow) and at the same time always compete with Sapkowski on a field in which they can't ever win. Just think about the creative freedom such a game that is set before the books would offer. There could be completely new tales and stories, new women, new settings. And not just the same old stuff we already know in different clothes...

So I wouldn't say that bringing Geralt back to life was the only way to make a Witcher game. Not at all. It was just the way CDPR wanted to do it.

No more Triss and Yen - instead we would have a chance to romance young Philippa Eilhart!

Time of Contempt: ‘Were you counting on it when you were coming onto her?’ asked the healer. ‘If so, then you should know that someone must have fed you false information. Men don't figure in Philippa's preferences anymore.’

snip for ease

I get the feeling you are committing the often seen mistake of equaling elements of other works to have the EXACT same meaning and properties in the given work you are trying to analyze.

Generally (and I emphasize on the word) it is not so.

---------- Updated at 08:57 PM ----------

Although that's a bit off-topic here: I think a Witcher game that is set many years BEFORE the books could be pretty great and much, much better than the concept of TW1-3. All of these games have to struggle with the creative limitations from the books (because they have to continue them somehow) and at the same time always compete with Sapkowski on a field in which they can't ever win. Just think about the creative freedom such a game that is set before the books would offer. There could be completely new tales and stories, new women, new settings. And not just the same old stuff we already know in different clothes...

So I wouldn't say that bringing Geralt back to life was the only way to make a Witcher game. Not at all. It was just the way CDPR wanted to do it.

Generally, I reserve those exact words only for bad science fiction :p

I agree somewhat with what you are saying (again more or less) but ... again major exception. :(

I'll post here what I have said in the other threads.

Relevant sources - Geralt saying the djinn might have cheated him and Yen during The Last Wish quest if remains with her, his reaction if he breaks it off with her during The Last Wish and the newest "before, during, after - always dialogue"

CDPR has now firmly established that Triss is indeed the right choice in the games and that the djinn in fact cheats Geralt and Yen if Geralt does not break it off. Without the curse's influence the new Triss dialogue shows that Geralt has always loved only Triss. What does that mean? That by staying with Yen the curse remains, because if the curse was lifted, Geralt would realize that he has only ever loved Triss and that he has zero feelings for Yen (the "Magic's gone" line and his face after that clearly shows that).

So to sum it up - Geralt/Yen has only ever been a product of the curse and continues to be that way after The Last Wish.

Geralt/Triss is the true love and has been ever since Geralt met her. He only realized it during the amnesia ("I remember loving a sorceress" - this line is in fact referencing Triss, not Yen) when the curse was weakened by his bad memory and then again after the curse is finally lifted during The Last Wish with his memories in tact.

Try to keep in mind that where they were taken was never actually specified at any point. It's not called Avalon or Avallach in the books, only in the games.

Don't know how familiar you are with Arthurian Legend, but it's clearly Avalon. I don't think it's even remotely ambiguous that that is where Geralt and Yennefer are sent, given all of the other nods to Arthur.

On topic, I have no idea what happened over the weekend, but I feel like I missed something of crucial importance to the Triss/Yen war. Are we finally going to get a winner here?

Don't know how familiar you are with Arthurian Legend, but it's clearly Avalon. I don't think it's even remotely ambiguous that that is where Geralt and Yennefer are sent, given all of the other nods to Arthur.

On topic, I have no idea what happened over the weekend, but I feel like I missed something of crucial importance to the Triss/Yen war. Are we finally going to get a winner here?

I'm familiar with them. I did watch the sword in the stone as a kid after all (kidding, kidding)

Point was it's never said. The only answer we get as to where they are is "Does it matter? We are together. You and me." There are hints here and there, but it's never actually said at any point, and like I said, it could have been made up, like the whole "They got married" bit.

CDPR has now firmly established that Triss is indeed the right choice in the games and that the djinn in fact cheats Geralt and Yen if Geralt does not break it off. Without the curse's influence the new Triss dialogue shows that Geralt has always loved only Triss. What does that mean? That by staying with Yen the curse remains, because if the curse was lifted, Geralt would realize that he has only ever loved Triss and that he has zero feelings for Yen (the "Magic's gone" line and his face after that clearly shows that)..
You only make things up here. The wish is lifted no matter what in TW3. The consequence is up to the player's decision though. If Geralt stays with Yen the wish is revealed to be irrelevant from the beginning and Yen and Geralt just genuiely love each other. If Geralt splits up with Yen the wish is revealed to be responsible for the love between them or at least that's the case for Geralt then.

There is absolutely no reason to think that Triss is "the right choice". It's just a "viable" choice, like it always was. Everything else is up to the player.

Some leak dialouge of the romance fix, you can read all of it here post #448
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/54522-Triss-Fan-Art-Thread/page45

If Geralt splits up with Yen the wish is revealed to be responsible for the love between them or at least that's the case for Geralt then.
Nope, that dimwit doesn't know how to break up with Yen so he blame all of it to the Djinn's bond :whistle:

Last edited:
You only make things up here. The wish is lifted no matter what in TW3. The consequence is up to the player's decision though. If Geralt stays with Yen the wish is revealed to be irrelevant from the beginning and Yen and Geralt just genuiely love each other. If Geralt splits up with Yen the wish is revealed to be responsible for the love between them or at least that's the case for Geralt then.

There is absolutely no reason to think that Triss is "the right choice". It's just a "viable" choice, like it always was. Everything else is up to the player.

I could only ever see it that way if you take his words literally. To me it sound a lot like the old phrase "The flame has died" Meaning the passion is gone. Flowery language, metaphorical in nature.

Of course, there are going to be people who desperately want it to be the case and will take it literally to support that view. That's the issue I have with that phrase anyways.

I would say the wish maintained connection past point love dissipated for Geralt on that path. I'm not sure it necessarily says that the wish was always just the cause of Geralt's feelings, though no someone can go with that theory if they like.

I would say the wish maintained connection past point love dissipated for Geralt on that path. I'm not sure it necessarily says that the wish was always just the cause of Geralt's feelings, though no someone can go with that theory if they like.

Indeed, you're right. But the actual point was that in case Geralt stays with Yen the wish is still completely irrelevant to them.

I believe, the wish is irrelevant anyway, either they stay together or not.

Well, it's perfectly valid to believe that and I do so myself. But if you split up with Yen you could also argue that the wish was responsible for Geralt's love in the first place. It's just a possibility for the player if they like this explanation better.

You mean, when he confesses love to Triss, he actually still loves them both? Of course, we can't know for sure. But still, there is Occam's razor which allows us to suggest that the wish has nothing to do with Geralt's feelings.

All of that is possible. And that's imo good. It gives the player space for his own imagination and interpretation of the situation. All I wanted to say is that the wish CAN be important if you want it to be important. It's irrelevant if you interpret the situation differently. All of that is "valid" imo.

I agree with Yen's interpretation of the Djinn spell being broken: It meant nothing. I didn't really liked how the whole breakup was handled. I would have much preferred if Geralt could explain to Yen that he fell in love with Triss, and that he loved her sincerely not because of some spell, but because of who she is and what they've been through. "The magic is gone for me" line is definitely not the best way to break up with the woman that meant so much to him, she deserved better explanation than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom