+

Triss vs Yennefer [NOW WITH SPOILERS. Oh, well.]

• I like triss better

Votes: 269 49.5%
  • i like yen better

Votes: 200 36.8%
  • I like tris better, and from a RP point, I would have to go for yen

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • from a RP point, I'd go with triss aswell.

Votes: 25 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, let's see.
1) Those who read books and played games before already have an opinion of both and would choose independently of how the game represents Yen and Triss.
2) Those who only played games have a complete opinion of Triss and they know that Yen used to be Geralt's love for long. If they are Triss fans already - they would most probably choose Triss. If they aren't or they doubt - the game heavily implies you should choose Yennefer. The dream about her and Ciri in the very beginning, in Vyzima she already talks to Geralt like she would do with her lover, then comes Priscilla's song and a lot of tips on Skellige, Kaer Morhen etc (though Skelllige and further might be already too late to choose). If they chose Triss on their first playthrough, they will most likely try Yennefer on their second playthrough.
3) Those who didn't play games either would choose according to their first impression of both. Still, their opinion would be affected by a lot of tips about choosing Yennefer. In fact, only Dijkstra acknowledges Triss and Geralt as lovers, while there are a lot more implications about Geralt and Yennefer.

I talked to my friends about this a bit. My personal experience says this:
2 persons (including me) read books, played games, chose Triss, 2 read books, played games, chose Yen.
2 only played games, one of them chose Triss, the other - Yennefer.
3 only played TW3, all of them chose Yennefer.

It's not representative, but still shows something.

Completely agree with every word of your post. Not surprised by your anecdotal stats.
The large reddit poll on the issue came back with 51 to 49 % Yen over Triss if i recall.

Here is how it is with me.

I know of 9 people that played Witcher 3 (including myself and my girlfriend into the statistic).

Of those 6 had read the books and then played the games.
All 6 chose Yen (me included).
Of the remaining 3 ... 2 chose Yen (both NEVER played a Witcher game before) and the last one chose ... both... :p .... (and got the bad ending lol, though he has played Witcher 2).

2 persons (including me) read books, played games, chose Triss, 2 read books, played games, chose Yen.

Can confirm with you in the bold part, all of my friend who only play W3 romance Yen too :lol:

Titles of posts are also importan in order to put in right context the following words.

NO BOOKS REFERENCE. ONLY GAMES INFO.

Okay, let's see.
1) Those who read books and played games before already have an opinion of both and would choose independently of how the game represents Yen and Triss.
2) Those who only played games have a complete opinion of Triss and they know that Yen used to be Geralt's love for long. If they are Triss fans already - they would most probably choose Triss. If they aren't or they doubt - the game heavily implies you should choose Yennefer. The dream about her and Ciri in the very beginning, in Vyzima she already talks to Geralt like she would do with her lover, then comes Priscilla's song and a lot of tips on Skellige, Kaer Morhen etc (though Skelllige and further might be already too late to choose). If they chose Triss on their first playthrough, they will most likely try Yennefer on their second playthrough.
3) Those who didn't play games either would choose according to their first impression of both. Still, their opinion would be affected by a lot of tips about choosing Yennefer. In fact, only Dijkstra acknowledges Triss and Geralt as lovers, while there are a lot more implications about Geralt and Yennefer.

It's not representative, but still shows something.

NO BOOKS REFERENCE*. ONLY GAMES INFO.

Ok, so excluding those who read books I get 1 who chose Triss and 4 who chose Yen. It is still not representative, but my post is still topical, I think I explained how game players could choose Yen.

* from other sources (forums, reviews, etc... ) but games' one. I know this POV of mine is quite hard to understand.They are rather an exercise in complete detachment and decontamination. Something practically impossible if we are not able to put aside feelings.

I won't discute interpretations. It's pointless at all.

* from other sources (forums, reviews, etc... ) but games' one. I know this POV of mine is quite hard to understand.They are rather an exercise in complete detachment and decontamination. Something practically impossible if we are not able to put aside feelings.

I won't discute interpretations. It's pointless at all.

Ah, I see. The problem is probably with my English.

They are rather an exercise in complete detachment and decontamination.
Yep. This POV is too hypothetical, full of "what ifs", because games are still full of books' references and it's almost pointless to look at them like this.

She is romaced by default, you can choose not to give her the Rose, but she is still considered a love interest, because there is this "parting" after TW2, you can't "part" with your ordinary friend. You are trying to deny what really was in the game and that it was Geralt, not some other witcher.
There is something like "canon" in games that results in the state of the world at the beginning of TW3.

There's no choice in TW2 because player don't have any reason for not giving her the Rose of Rememberance. There's no other romance option. Just the main female character who start laying in your bed.

Path line = give her the rose.... there's nobody else to give it.... Choice? ... Triss is "the default cannon"

Path line = don't give her the Rose... and... why not? if Geralt doesn't have anybody who love in his life in this moment. CDPR don't give us any option for choice... in an equal info

Last edited:
In TW2 - yes. In TW3 - not a bit.

She still. The intruder is cold, the intruder didn't look for Geralt (no mention in the dialogue about her amnesia as Letho says she has), the intruder doesn't speak with Geralt about both of them past, just about a how our witcheress has grown. Geralt says to the intruder thatt Triss will be glad to see him when it was said she is in Novigrad. The intruder is under the enemy protection.

Triss is warm, Triss was always in TW and TW2 making her best to stay with him. She takes advantage of his amnesia (as she admits in TW3), Triss speaks with Geralt about both of them past and their feelings for each other (hunting rats break rest). Triss is persecuted by The Eternal Fire for execute her.

100% freedom choices?

Last edited:
She still. The intruder is cold, the intruder didn't look for Geralt (no mention in the dialogue about her amnesia as Letho says she has), the intruder doesn't speak with Geralt about both of them past, just about a how our witcheress has grown. Geralt says to the intruder thatt Triss will be glad to see him when it was said she is in Novigrad. The intruder is under the enemy protection.

Triss is warm, Triss was always in TW and TW2 making her best to stay with him. She takes advantage of his amnesia (as she admits in TW3), Triss speaks with Geralt about both of them past and their feelings for each other (hunting rats break rest). Triss is persecuted by The Eternal Fire for execute her.

100% freedom choices?
Yennefer is talking to Geralt like if they are already together. Triss talks to him like it's all in the past.
When Yen mentions him being with Triss, he explains it with the loss of memory, not with some newborn feelings. Triss says they promised to remain friends.
The game starts with dream about Yennefer, not Triss. The game proceeds with Yen's inevitable kiss, with Priscilla's song, with your break up with Triss after TW2.
Choices are still free, but the game heavily implies you should go for Yennefer.

W2 romances? I remember one lady...She brings something new and fresh into Geralt's love life...

Yennefer is talking to Geralt like if they are already together. .

A link of this dialogue could be nice. I don't remember any clue about this behavior.

Triss talks to him like it's all in the past. .

And in the present, because she don't deny to Drjiska that they broke up. And player see how she suffer when Geralt answer her question about Yen.

When Yen mentions him being with Triss, he explains it with the loss of memory, not with some newborn feelings. .

Luckly CDPR didn't close all the doors for a fre choice.

Triss says they promised to remain friends..

And she kiss him near the fountain...

The game starts with dream about Yennefer, not Triss. .
"bring juice", "go out from the bath! "go to train Ciri"....

Yen and Ciri needed an introduction in the Geralt's recovered memories . No mention about present feelings like the beging of TW2
. And It's more than a dream, it's a nightmare.

The game proceeds with Yen's inevitable kiss, .

With a a quick back head move form Geralt: disliked and unpleasant kiss.

with Priscilla's song, with your break up with Triss after TW2. .

Linking Jaskier job, works, story, etc, with Geralt and his past. And, Jaskier's reputation as the most known Poet in the Kings.... even in Skellige.

Choices are still free, but the game heavily implies you should go for Yennefer.

Choice are not free, because Triss starts with a strong, warm and sweet story and package on her back. Yen is the black side. The most improbable kind of options in TW CDPR saga: good or bad, white or black. Right or wrong.

A link of this dialogue could be nice. I don't remember any clue about this behavior.
"Really, that's your excuse?"
"It's not what you think" or "It helped me understand how much I love you" - I don't wish to hear any of it.
etc.
So she basically thinks he would apologize, he would say something about how he wanted to be with her.

And in the present, because she don't deny to Drjiska that they broke up
Of course, it's because she actually wants to be with him, but the first time we clearly see it is when she kisses him near the fountain. And even after that she says it was her mistake, she did it affected by wine etc.

"bring juice", "go out from the bath! "go to train Ciri"....
Yep, and both of them are naked, a kiss.
quick back head move form Geralt: disliked and unpleasant kiss.
You really see it there? I see it as surprising kiss, but not even a bit unpleasant.

Linking Jaskier job, works, story, etc, with Geralt and his past.
And the song is still about Geralt+Yennefer and it is still very beautiful.

We've had a bit too much tension between.... "supporters" of different characters in the game lately. It's resulted in too many violations of forum rules, so it is time to cool it off; this and a few other threads are now closed. Feel free to use the established Groups in the future. There are also the threads in teh Fan Art section, where you can post fan art of your favourite characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom