Tuirseach Veteran rework

+
Tuirseach Veteran rework

Tuirseach Veteran needs a rework. Switching between soldier and support is more or less switching between OP and unplayable, so that won't do it (luckily CDPR seems to be aware of it(patch notes)). I think there are a few options what you could do:

1.:
Make them soldiers, but add a one turn timer to make them counterable.

2.:
a) Soldier + bring back the veteran tag and change Veterans ability back to: Trigger all your veteran abilities (can't remember the exact wording). This options allows way more flexibility than just strengthen all cards by one. I'd prefer "on board" effects(meaning the veteran ability requires that the unit is placed on the board and won't do anything if it is in your deck/hand). So instead of spaming veterans early and then dropping those high value cards, you would have to play your cards with veteran ability first and play veteran later to trigger them. The problem is that this could become too strong in long rounds.
So there is option 2b):
Instead of triggering all veteran abilites, it could only trigger the veteran abilities of adjacent units. You could additonally give them two options: trigger the abilities now or add a one turn timer and trigger the abilities at the end of the next turn (would be a buff for low strengh-strong ability cards + some risk-reward gamble (you would do this if you think your opponent can't remove the veteran, but can remove the low strength card with the veteran tag) ).

I think veterans should be soldiers (how can't they be, they are veterans!), but instead of immediate effect, timers, and so on, they should have an ongoing ability – something that Skellige lacks at the moment.

That ability could actually be similar to Kaedweni Siege Support's: "whenever a tuirseach unit appears, strengthen it by 1". Obviously, veterans should have less str than the siege supports since SK has much more resurrects than NR. Perhaps 4 str or smth like that (as they will strengthen other veterans played).

Maybe the the rework would be to accept that Veteran tag is gone and more on to other ideas.

Veterans are now basically a bronze version of Dennis Cranmer or Ruehin or Old Speartip. I think this effect is overused already but in the other cases it's on a silver or gold.

Esmer;n10464432 said:
I think veterans should be soldiers (how can't they be, they are veterans!), but instead of immediate effect, timers, and so on, they should have an ongoing ability – something that Skellige lacks at the moment.

That ability could actually be similar to Kaedweni Siege Support's: "whenever a tuirseach unit appears, strengthen it by 1". Obviously, veterans should have less str than the siege supports since SK has much more resurrects than NR. Perhaps 4 str or smth like that (as they will strengthen other veterans played).

Some ongoing ability would also be a valid option, but strengthening every tuirseach unit by 1 isn't very interesting. Just a variation of wild hunt drakkar or siege support. I think it should be more unique.

The trouble is the Tuirseach units have no synergy or gameplan whatsoever - Bearmaster is a high base strength unit, which is fair enough except that it then becomes OP if it's been boosted. Axemen makes even less sense in the deck, as strengthening them isn't the gameplan. Archer has no synergy with anything, Hunter more synergy with wounded. The whole strategy around that deck is around buffing up the Skirmishers for a strong round 3 res, but that doesn't work if they are in the graveyard. It's a weird one.

I really like the old days when the Skirmisher got a boost in graveyard and get resurrected in R3. Beast master should not be a Veteran in any case, it has no business as being a Veteran.

I would like to have it changed to "Trigger the Veteran ability if unit is in hand, graveyard and board" (but not in the deck). And it is 'boost' instead of strengthen. I would like to encourage more 'reset' counter-plays like the D bomb. 'Not in the deck' means there is some decision on when to play the Veteran trigger, not just a blind slam to the board.

ClimbHigh;n10469022 said:
I really like the old days when the Skirmisher got a boost in graveyard and get resurrected in R3. Beast master should not be a Veteran in any case, it has no business as being a Veteran.

I would like to have it changed to "Trigger the Veteran ability if unit is in hand, graveyard and board" (but not in the deck). And it is 'boost' instead of strengthen. I would like to encourage more 'reset' counter-plays like the D bomb. 'Not in the deck' means there is some decision on when to play the Veteran trigger, not just a blind slam to the board.
The trouble with that is that anything pulled from the graveyard is reset. Skellige's thing is to strengthen anyway, things like D-bomb have always been weak against them.

Thinking about it the one unit I'd love Veteran to hit is Queensguard. It would do a lot to make them more viable. I wonder how good/problematic it would be if it just said "strengthen all soldiers in your graveyard by 1". Maybe give it soldier back, remove soldier from Bearmaster and then get some big graveyard buffs.

Top Bottom