Turn 1: Foltest... go

+
Turn 1: Foltest... go

Yay my first thread.

First things first: game is amaaaazing i enjoyed it every minute so far. The thing i want to discuss here is a problem when playing Foltest. Your first turn/play 99,99% of the time is playing Foltest. The reason you play him is obviously to get this buff before you play any other unitst? But this also creates repetitive gameplay since you always just play him and then for you the game starts on turn 2 and not 1.
To fix this just make Foltests "buff all" ability trigger without playing him at all. Sure this is a very minor buff for that guy which isnt the goal but fixing this unresonable repetitivness should matter more.
What you think fellow Foltest players?

EDIT:

The designspace here should be claimed like this. For Foltest add "Dawn" as a keyword and boom now you can create cards that trigger at the start of the game which is... Dawn.

Last edited:
Not a Foltest player, but making it a passive won't happen probably as leaders now are playable and their abilities are triggered on play. Yes, it may seem repetitive, but you could then argue that playing any deck at high rank is repetitive as they are built for specific reasons, eg monster consume, Morkvarg Skellige etc

Naw. If the devs and players don't like Foltest then he should just be reworked completely. I actually liked the old foltest because it was tactically interesting.

I agree, Foltest is usually the first card you want to play. It requires no thought nor tactics. And as such, the card should be reworked.

Seems like it is just the way it needs to work. I understand what you are saying, but the mechanic allows for some interesting choices in deck making.

4RM3D;n8644700 said:
I agree, Foltest is usually the first card you want to play. It requires no thought nor tactics. And as such, the card should be reworked.

Nononono. The effect is what you want to get first. And the tactics are there in deckbuilding. The only thing that needs to be reworked is how you get the effect. As a passive that would feel super natural.

I'm not sure right now, the Foltest buff lasts whole game, or just the round in which it is triggered?

Sar1n;n8644910 said:
I'm not sure right now, the Foltest buff lasts whole game, or just the round in which it is triggered?

Whole game.

And yes, the effect is pretty silly.

Sar1n;n8644910 said:

The buff is permanent, unless you played the unit and return it in your hand or replay it with something like Decoy.

Brenex;n8645030 said:
The buff is permanent, unless you played the unit and return it in your hand or replay it with something like Decoy.

Theres more. When it dies (obviously) but also when you shuffle the unit back into your deck. For some reason that also triggers the powerloss even though it had the power there before. I guess deck and hand and grave are all considered "outside" or something and normalize all the card stats.

But lets go back on topic. This is just a feels bad moment that you dont get to play this game right from the start you have to take that turn off no matter what everytime at the same time. This is just like trying to enter a building and the security person checks your pass EVERYTIME even though they know you since you come there every day^^

I agree, Foltest is boring, I'm not sure how I would change him though. I think a complete rework is necessary.

How about something along the lines of:
"buff all units in your hand and deck by 1 (if you play this on round 1) OR by 2 (if you play this on round 2) OR by 3 (if you play this on round 3)."

this is leaves the overall synergy and archetype intact (something a complete rework won't), yet introduces some decision making and strategy.

just a suggestion...

Foltest is fine the way he is. And yes, my deck is NR with him as leader.
I don't mind almost always (sometimes I play Geralt first, especially if my opponent has done it; sometimes I'll use Shackles or Thunder to neutralize cards like War Longships) opening with Foltest.

IMO Foltest is now significantly better than in CB, where he was a situational Igni/Scorch bait generator unless you strategized his use properly.

There are a few reasons why you could want to play foltest later in the round. I'm playing foltest blue stripes, so it is important for me to stagger strength on my kaedweni sergeants and blue stripes, therefore I might want to play him later to play around igni. The second is to get additional cards out of the my opponent the second round if I won the first (the tempo you generate is so huge that it's easy), a. third one is to be able to answer a Crones play turn 1 or a brouver saskia roach into dennis cranmer combo which is upwards of 20 pts in one play. Most of the cases you eant to play it turn 1 though, it's true

I agree Foltest needs rework. I do not mind a buffing effect as opposed to its previous doubling effect. But because of how it functions the card being the first card to be played %99.99 of the time becomes tedious.

Last edited:
I think the idea of this card is alright but the effect needs to be limited to the round you play this card.
So... make the buff +2 for all units in one round. That way you'd need to be a bit more careful when to play it.

The repetitive play is the NR players who if they lose the Coin Toss in Round 1, know they can pretty much let their opponent play a unit, then play Foltest to buff their whole deck. Wait for the opponent to play their second Unit and then Pass Straight away, so effectively burn two of their opponents strong cards and then take Card Advantage into Round 2, and from their can pretty much bully their way to a 1-2 victory at that point because they know they have the strength and the CA.

cwattyeso;n8688800 said:
The repetitive play is the NR players who if they lose the Coin Toss in Round 1, know they can pretty much let their opponent play a unit, then play Foltest to buff their whole deck. Wait for the opponent to play their second Unit and then Pass Straight away, so effectively burn two of their opponents strong cards and then take Card Advantage into Round 2, and from their can pretty much bully their way to a 1-2 victory at that point because they know they have the strength and the CA.

Do you really mind taking the round win by just - 1 cards though? I mean that's pretty much the standard turn win in most situations, I'd say. And turn 1 win is optimal, as it allows for control over turn 2 as your opponent needs to win, and he can never pass even if you're investing into turn 3 with low value units that carry over or buff your hand/future plays.

I believes It's up to the player to realize foltest will be the 1st unit played, and instead of investing a card or two that serve to build up for a long round, just play high single value cards on turn 1 and take the win if his opponent decides to pass after foltest. It seems like a fair round win, and probably a lousy play by the foltest player, IMO, unless he actually sees his opponent investing into long game build up units.

In most simple cases, he's played first, but I disagree that it's a brainless first-turn play and sometimes a misplay just because you feel you *need* to buff everything right away. If your opponent runs you over with a significant lead and you can catch up with one of your unbuffed units on turn 1, sometimes that's the correct play. When you play Foltest, a 4 power swing, on turn 1 that your opponent can easily out-tempo, you may have just thrown the round and lost 1 card advantage. So yeah, the effect is kinda dull, but I wouldn't say "brainless".

The Northern Realms Starter deck with the Foltest First and Pass Approach was how to easily go through all the challenges and unlock all the rewards and leader cards. It even did me pretty well to get to Level 3 in Casual Matches where I could then unlock Milling and get to work making better decks once I'd scraped my spare cards. It is still a pretty powerful and easy deck to play when you add in some cards and remove a couple. Basically run 3 x Redanian Knight, 3 x Redanian Elite, 3 x Redanian Elect, 3 x Tridam InfantryMan, some Trebuchets and Siege Towers, Your Favourite Silvers and Gold Cards of choice and then fill out the deck with other control/removal cards of choice and you're a tough match for anyone after the easy round 1 pass and gain card advantage.

It's even more fun when you get matched up with an opponent who plays a chain with their first or second card and ends up going 2 or more cards down into Round 2. They should pretty much forfeit at the start of the round if they are cards down.

Top Bottom