Turn Based Combat or Shooter ?

+
Uhm, yeah. Troll post. Just so there's clarity, I bet my left nut this will be twitch based with stats. It won;t be isometric, It won't be real time, it won't be turn based. Player skill rules. :)

You couldnt stack commands on mass effect only pick ammo type and one command of special powers.

it would be awesome if you could stack 5 commands including movement

TBC and "3D" shooting are different things. Rts games or rpg's depend on stats while shooter elements are more about the feeling of the weapon. It means the most powerful weapons in shooters are the most damaging and easiest to use ones. Like, anything that comes close to huge hitscan lasers.

Idk if the skill thing will apply to C2077. Things like ironsights or bullet spread put some heavy restrictions to whoever can aim and don't even help those who can't.

You couldnt stack commands on mass effect only pick ammo type and one command of special powers.

it would be awesome if you could stack 5 commands including movement

When I said 'stack commands' I was referring to the ability to give commands to each team member as well as to tell them to swap weapons and use powers. All this and you can do the same to yourself.

I didn't mean 'chaining'.

I bet my left nut this will be twitch based with stats. It won;t be isometric, It won't be real time, it won't be turn based. Player skill rules. :)

QFT. Except the part where you said it won't be real-time, because that's what twitch, player skill based combat is as opposed to turn-based.

Yup.
There are definitely a lot of unknowns, such as those related to how they're going to balance player-skill and stats, how they're going to handle a team (and whether or not there's even going to be a team), and there are a lot of existing discussions on these - anyone interested may want to look at these threads:
http://www.cyberpunk.net/forum/en/threads/1402-Forum-Guide-Please-check-here-before-posting-a-new-thread!?p=23482#post23482

But in terms of the straight question "turn-based or (paraphrasing) real-time?", there isn't really any doubt. If anyone is unfamiliar with CDPR games, it may be worth looking at some youtube footage from TW2, and at any of the interviews regarding TW3 to get a better feel of the REDengine.

And that's why I assumed this thread was intended to be a general discussion. :)

It means the most powerful weapons in shooters are the most damaging and easiest to use ones. Like, anything that comes close to huge hitscan lasers.
It's my experience of FPS games, the most powerful weapons are also the least accurate, so they aren't easier to use. Quite the opposite.

TBC and "3D" shooting are different things. Rts games or rpg's depend on stats while shooter elements are more about the feeling of the weapon.

Idk if the skill thing will apply to C2077. Things like ironsights or bullet spread put some heavy restrictions to whoever can aim and don't even help those who can't.
A lot of RPG's use realtime functions, especially modern ones. Many realtime RPG's use skills, both individual skills (like in The Witcher series, the Deus Ex series, the Dragon Age series, the Diablo series - though isometric, it is still realtime, the Elder Scrolls series and most MMORPG's,) and skill levels (like in the Mass Effect series, Alpha Protocol and Fallout 3/NV - I much prefered it without VATS.)

In all fairness, almost all of my favourite RPG's of all time are real time!

Skill levels should be a big part of getting things done in '77. There is already a chunky thread filled with the discussion of how that should work.
To sumarise - I believe the concensus was that skills should not dictate whaat you can and can't do, but how well you can do it. Anyone should be able to try to do things, but if they are not skilled enough they should really struggle, (or if unskilled they should 'epic fail'.)

@crishwebb If you ever played an arena, you probably heard of railguns or instagibs. Or sniper rifles in military shooters. Those are the most convenient things ever in the 3d realm in terms of risk and reward since they are high damaging hitscans (meaning they are easy to aim with), hence the most powerful tools one can hope for. They are extremely precise, easy to use and can kill in 1 or very few shots forcing enemies to take a defensive approach. Enemies can do little to avoid them...in fact, sniper/railgun and chaingun weapons are horrible weapons for last man standings and the like and are much better suited for team based combat. I still remember Heavy's chaingun from tf2 to suffer from a huge bullet spread, while in both tribes: ascend and tf2 chaingun weapons were given to the slowest classes. I also remember Legions overdrive devolved into ctf run played mostly with rails and chainguns. Last case i remember was shootmania, suffering a lot from rails.

Quake games dealt well with hitscan weapons though.
If we take the quake example again, this is what it plays like without the railgun. Far more aggressive compared to quakelive or warsow, and allows for actual high movement speed and mobility to take place at the same time....unlike, say, titanfall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxpIyAFv6Lo

about the skill thing, the deus ex series is a bad example when it comes to shooter elements (haven't played any other rpg you mentioned though). Haven't played the second deus ex game but, compared to the first game,Human revolution lacks weapon skills and that's the best thing one could hope for deus ex combat. That way combat is easy to learn and wheter mastering it or not to pull of dramatic moments is totally up to the player- that's the way of doing things when adding combat/shooter elements into something.

@crishwebb If you ever played an arena, you probably heard of railguns or instagibs. Or sniper rifles in military shooters. Those are the most convenient things ever in the 3d realm in terms of risk and reward since they are high damaging hitscans (meaning they are easy to aim with), hence the most powerful tools one can hope for. They are extremely precise, easy to use and can kill in 1 or very few shots forcing enemies to take a defensive approach. Enemies can do little to avoid them...in fact, sniper/railgun and chaingun weapons are horrible weapons for last man standings and the like and are much better suited for team based combat. I still remember Heavy's chaingun from tf2 to suffer from a huge bullet spread, while in both tribes: ascend and tf2 chaingun weapons were given to the slowest classes. I also remember Legions overdrive devolved into ctf run played mostly with rails and chainguns. Last case i remember was shootmania, suffering a lot from rails.

Quake games dealt well with hitscan weapons though.
If we take the quake example again, this is what it plays like without the railgun. Far more aggressive compared to quakelive or warsow, and allows for actual high movement speed and mobility to take place at the same time....unlike, say, titanfall
Scoped and precision weapons being easy to use is a relative term. It takes practice to get used to them. That, to me, means you have to put effort into learning how to use them and therefore they are not 'easy' to use. (It's aslo why we banned Railguns in out Q3A games unless we were playing rival groups.)
The AWP in CS was indeed a lethal weapon, but I never got on with it, because if you do miss that critical first shot then there was a good chance you were going to die. I prefered the M4 to start with, though I ended up being very happy susing the AK. I also prefered the USP to the Desert Eagle.

These days you get sway with scoped weapons, meaning you have to learn to use them well for them to be effective.

about the skill thing, the deus ex series is a bad example when it comes to shooter elements (haven't played any other rpg you mentioned though). Haven't played the second deus ex game but, compared to the first game,Human revolution lacks weapon skills and that's the best thing one could hope for deus ex combat. That way combat is easy to learn and wheter mastering it or not to pull of dramatic moments is totally up to the player- that's the way of doing things when adding combat/shooter elements into something.
I really recommend you log a bit of time with some of these games. I don't think there is much point trying to compare modern shooter RPG's to FPS's that are over 10 years old.

The idea is, you are at point A and you got an enemy at point B and you can kill it in a single shot matching the crosshair dot with the enemy one. It doesn't depend on distance and that's the most powerful thing in a terms of risk and reward. It takes almost nothing and the reward is too high. In short, such weapons are too easy to use.
Also i never played CS. Some games have nothing for me.

The idea is, you are at point A and you got an enemy at point B and you can kill it in a single shot matching the crosshair dot with the enemy one. It doesn't depend on distance and that's the most powerful thing in a terms of risk and reward. It takes almost nothing and the reward is too high. In short, such weapons are too easy to use.
Also i never played CS. Some games have nothing for me.

Thank you captain obvious for explaing how guns work in first person shooter games. When I said they require a certain level of skill, it is because of their RoF. You are refering to sniper weapons, (regardless of sights and scopes.) These weapons have very slow refire rates so if you fuck up on the first shot or two, you are done. This means you have to line up the shot properly. Meanwhile, you can use weapons more akin to assault rifes with a tight grouping and you can normally use a pulse fire technique and land shots on target, even if the crosshair is not dead on target. Range makes all the difference, what with the target being smaller.

In short, it's all down to hand-eye co-ordination and repetition. That is player skill. Now I do not dispute that the whole 'one shot, one kill' weapon type can be very powerful. But it has it's own downsides as well and if you feel that it's too easy, then I suggest you talk to a few people who don't. Personally I suck at using sniper type weapons. I am far better with rifles and SMG's. My favourite would always be handguns though, due to their mobility. Sniping weapons of the kind you are describing excel at one thing, and that is taking down lone targets. When you are faced with multiple targets, particularly in CQC, you need a high RoF to survive. A bolt action rifle is not going to help you much in that situation. And that is where balance comes into play. (Or Risk vs Reward if thats what you prefer to call it.)

And you if haven't played any first person RPG's apart from the first and last Deus Ex games and you never played Counter Strike... What rock have you been living under for the last 15 years?

I used to play ut and max payne and whateves....
Dude....if your point is posting the opposite of whatever i say go right ahead, but till now you only told me you don't get the idea of balancing.
The "huge laser weap of death" is the kind of weapon meant to rule everything else, whether a player has high aiming skill or not that's something else.
Not only the weapon skills thing we talked about before undermines variation and actual player aiming skill, but RoF (or even weapon pulses) is a factor among others that doesn't apply to all hitscan weapons as different games have different limitations one should think of while creating weapons. That's to provide different kind of weapons, thus different challenges/frags and finally different dramatic moments. An instagib mode devolves everything into 1 tactic: dodge and shoot, you can't choose a strategic objective and reach it through tactical options. Not to mention, I may have godlike aiming skills but whenever a noob will get the chance I' ll be backstabbed and won't do anything about it 'cause i won't get warnings and won't be able to react. If this happens, the mode i'm playing is lacking balance and depth.

If you are worried about C2077 realistic hitscan weapons being tagged as noob cannons, which they are not, don't worry. It's a single player game and they can do whatever they want with it. I'm sure they know all the ways to balance a game.

V.A.T.S. is turn based.

Fallout V.A.T.S. (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System) is not a turn based system. It's an action point based "paused targeting system" during real time combat. There's a huge fundamental difference.

If you want an example of a turn based game, think UFO, Laser Squad, or for example the first two Fallouts. While those games also do use action points to handle what can and can't be done during a turn, they're actually really turn based, meaning you can't return to real time combat even if you want to.

Games like Baldur's Gate, XCOM: Apocalypse, Dragon Age and the like have a pausing system with the ability to queue up commands. Again, completely different from the V.A.T.S., and completely different from turn based.

Then you've got the Elder Scrolls series, as an example, where you simply pause the game, but can't queue up attacks in any way or form.

Apples and oranges, and I personally don't like them apples. :cool:

I used to play ut and max payne and whateves....
Dude....if your point is posting the opposite of whatever i say go right ahead, but till now you only told me you don't get the idea of balancing.
The "huge laser weap of death" is the kind of weapon meant to rule everything else, whether a player has high aiming skill or not that's something else.
Not only the weapon skills thing we talked about before undermines variation and actual player aiming skill, but RoF (or even weapon pulses) is a factor among others that doesn't apply to all hitscan weapons as different games have different limitations one should think of while creating weapons. That's to provide different kind of weapons, thus different challenges/frags and finally different dramatic moments. An instagib mode devolves everything into 1 tactic: dodge and shoot, you can't choose a strategic objective and reach it through tactical options. Not to mention, I may have godlike aiming skills but whenever a noob will get the chance I' ll be backstabbed and won't do anything about it 'cause i won't get warnings and won't be able to react. If this happens, the mode i'm playing is lacking balance and depth.

If you are worried about C2077 realistic hitscan weapons being tagged as noob cannons, which they are not, don't worry. It's a single player game and they can do whatever they want with it. I'm sure they know all the ways to balance a game.
I am not disputing that some weapons from games we played 10 years ago or more were over powered.
I perfectly understand the principle of 'balanced weapons' in computer games.
Instagib does remove the majority of tactical play. Certainly when it comes down to weapon choices.

None of this changes the fact that technology has moved on. Games are not built around instagibs and hitscan one shots anymore. Actual projectiles have trajectories and you have to lead targets at range.

Also, your origional point was that "The most powerful weapons are the easiest to use." That is a very broad field that encompasses a lot more than just Quake and Unreal Tournament. So, I pointed out the flaw in your logic and I also stated that nowadays you need more skill to use more powerful weapons and weaker weapons are easier to use.

I am far from worried about any weapons in CP2077. For a start, the only weapon that would work in a hitscan way would be lasers, (which are not all that powerful in 2020 so I don't see them becoming mega weapons in the future.) CDPR produce games they want to play because they love games. They care about games and gamers. I really don't expect them to screw up the game by creating an uber-weapon that makes all others pointless.

Fallout V.A.T.S. (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System) is not a turn based system. It's an action point based "paused targeting system" during real time combat. There's a huge fundamental difference.

If you want an example of a turn based game, think UFO, Laser Squad, or for example the first two Fallouts. While those games also do use action points to handle what can and can't be done during a turn, they're actually really turn based, meaning you can't return to real time combat even if you want to.

Games like Baldur's Gate, XCOM: Apocalypse, Dragon Age and the like have a pausing system with the ability to queue up commands. Again, completely different from the V.A.T.S., and completely different from turn based.

Then you've got the Elder Scrolls series, as an example, where you simply pause the game, but can't queue up attacks in any way or form.

Apples and oranges, and I personally don't like them apples. :cool:
I have never used VATS in either of the newer fallout games. I have always used pure realtime. thats how I like it.

I was taking the example from my experience with Fallout, Fallout II and Fallout Tactics.

To be honest though, VATS is a pretty unique system so I don't think it should come into the equation at all.

I have never used VATS in either of the newer fallout games. I have always used pure realtime. thats how I like it.

I was taking the example from my experience with Fallout, Fallout II and Fallout Tactics.

To be honest though, VATS is a pretty unique system so I don't think it should come into the equation at all.

A system similar to VATS could work as an implant. Or as a software. I have read the ideas you guys come up with in the other thread about HUD and i got to say, it sounds awesome. A modular HUD could support a system similar to VATS and your accuracy would be heavily effected by your stats. It could work perfectly.

A system similar to VATS could work as an implant. Or as a software. I have read the ideas you guys come up with in the other thread about HUD and i got to say, it sounds awesome. A modular HUD could support a system similar to VATS and your accuracy would be heavily effected by your stats. It could work perfectly.

There was an idea to use speedware implants, (which in 2020 give you a temporary bonus to your reflexes and initiative,) to give something similar to bullet time.

QFT. Except the part where you said it won't be real-time, because that's what twitch, player skill based combat is as opposed to turn-based.

I thought real time was defined as what RTS games use and stuff like Dragon Age. You cue the order, the avatar executes in 'real' time, or more specifically 'game' time. I could be wrong on that definition though. I get confused sometimes. :p

I thought real time was defined as what RTS games use and stuff like Dragon Age. You cue the order, the avatar executes in 'real' time, or more specifically 'game' time. I could be wrong on that definition though. I get confused sometimes. :p

I have always understood 'real time' as meaning things occur during real time. Basically, think of just about any FPS.

There was an idea to use speedware implants, (which in 2020 give you a temporary bonus to your reflexes and initiative,) to give something similar to bullet time.

But it should be more than that. You should be able to target specific locations (weak spots) on someones body. Similar to both Splinter Cell and Alpha Protocol. (I think at least some of the Splinter Cell games had a system like that. Where you can stop or slow down time and target someone.)

Top Bottom