Turn Based or Real Time Combat?

+
Turn Based or Real Time Combat?

It is just formality because some decisions may have already been taken,
but nevertheless it is a simple question every experienced RPG and CP 2020 PNP player in particular should answer:

Ye-ah. Prepare yourself for unsurprising results. Does that sentence even make sense?

And I am a loooong time CPunk everything. Real Time, of course, because turn based in PnP only exists to make sure everyone gets a fair share of fun. Only way you should have time to coolly consider your tactical options in a CPunk game is if a) you're watching from somewhere faaar away on camera or b) your name is Blackhand.

Everyone else should be freaked out and trying to stay alive. Yes, even Solos and Nomad. No reloads in CPunk, kids!

Christ on a crutch! Turn based combat belongs in cartoon games for children.

I didn't even know turn based was a possibility.... because that right there would prevent me from spending any money on this game even more so than the game not having drivable vehicles...

I wouldn't mind something like a vats system from fallout in addition to manual shooting, to emulate cybernetic augmentation... but even that kinda sucks... a sleeping dogs style bullet time would work much better... or a mix of both.

Real time I guess,for some reason I like to be in full control of the character I'm playing with.

Ye-ah. Prepare yourself for unsurprising results. Does that sentence even make sense?

And I am a loooong time CPunk everything. Real Time, of course, because turn based in PnP only exists to make sure everyone gets a fair share of fun. Only way you should have time to coolly consider your tactical options in a CPunk game is if a) you're watching from somewhere faaar away on camera or b) your name is Blackhand.

Everyone else should be freaked out and trying to stay alive. Yes, even Solos and Nomad. No reloads in CPunk, kids!

A-fucking-men, pass the cigarettes, and quit hogging the cheese dip....

Real time I guess,for some reason I like to be in full control of the character I'm playing with.

The only realistic shooter I have ever played was the Americas Army and thats it. Amen. Real action lasts sometimes 30-60 seconds before it is all over!
Full control you say and what about panic tests, cyberpsychosis ect? And how to control your team in real time? No product have done it correctly yet.
I proposed Turn Based because it is only way to be sure that we will not end up with another stupid rambo type, one man show type of game.

What are the advantages of turn based:
- In a game with realistic combat mechanics such as in CP 2020 source book there are not bullet dodgers. It is not a matrix!
It means often one bullet man down. How long would you like to play like that? Turn based it is only way to plan the action and have any chance to survive.
- In turn based game you can really control your team and have chance for them to survive.
- Real time may be good for Witcher or other medieval stuff where you are wielding your sword, but here we have fucking bullets that runs hundreds of meters per second. Are you crazy to take it realtime punk? CDPR is not alfa omega in modern warfare so it will be suicide for the project to make it realtime in my opinion.

It may look like realtime when the action is started but plan has to be turn based. I do not see any other option.

The only realistic shooter I have ever played was the Americas Army and thats it. Amen. Real action lasts sometimes 30-60 seconds before it is all over!
Full control you say and what about panic tests, cyberpsychosis ect? And how to control your team in real time? No product have done it correctly yet.
I proposed Turn Based because it is only way to be sure that we will not end up with another stupid rambo type, one man show type of game.

What are the advantages of turn based:
- In a game with realistic combat mechanics such as in CP 2020 source book there are not bullet dodgers. It is not a matrix!
It means often one bullet man down. How long would you like to play like that? Turn based it is only way to plan the action and have any chance to survive.
- In turn based game you can really control your team and have chance for them to survive.
- Real time may be good for Witcher or other medieval stuff where you are wielding your sword, but here we have fucking bullets that runs hundreds of meters per second. Are you crazy to take it realtime punk? CDPR is not alfa omega in modern warfare so it will be suicide for the project to make it realtime in my opinion.

It may look like realtime when the action is started but plan has to be turn based. I do not see any other option.

Um...

It's not that you don't state your case well... its just that I can find no conceivable place from which to determine where you are coming up with this idea...

Because combat in the game can't be as utterly realistic as real life, it shouldn't even be fun is what it sounds like you are saying....

The advantage video games have over pen and paper, is that when the action starts, you don't have to wait your turn,.... I mean, seriously... I jnever got into old school so called rpg's specifically for that reason... (well that and I hated the super deformed characters.... but mostly that).

Um...

It's not that you don't state your case well... its just that I can find no conceivable place from which to determine where you are coming up with this idea...

Because combat in the game can't be as utterly realistic as real life, it shouldn't even be fun is what it sounds like you are saying....

The advantage video games have over pen and paper, is that when the action starts, you don't have to wait your turn,.... I mean, seriously... I jnever got into old school so called rpg's specifically for that reason... (well that and I hated the super deformed characters.... but mostly that).

It's not that I am a soldier or so but every man in Poland knows something about bullet mechanics at last from WWII movies or grandpa tales.
And belive me shooting it is not a fun in realtime, it is demanding job as any other. And as you probably know any demanding job is naturally stresfull.

From video game I am expecting more realism than in PnP because of the processing power.
Why do I need a video game which is less realistic than PnP version you tell me.

If I have chance to select what should be more realistic in CP77 I would choose the world design without any hesitation.
To create realistic realtime combat environment, it would unnecessarilly consume limied resources that could be spent on sanbox system, plot and world creation and innovation.
That is why I propose to make it turn based. Amen.

Well good news! They aren't trying for realistic real time combat. Witcher was hardly realistic sword fighting.

They will, I expect, be shooting for fun real time combat. Heh. I'm clever.

Shooting in the real world is a lot of fun, actually. Shooting while being shot at, I have no idea, but I'd guess that's less fun for different reasons.

From video game I expect much less realism than PnP, an expectation that has never failed me.

I thought real time was what DA:O had. You cue your attack and your PC attacks as you make adjustments in real time, like a RTS. To me, an action RPG has twitch combat - TES, Mass Effect, Witcher, Ego Draconis, Dark Souls; all of those are variations on twitch based.

I thought real time was what DA:O had. You cue your attack and your PC attacks as you make adjustments in real time, like a RTS. To me, an action RPG has twitch combat - TES, Mass Effect, Witcher, Ego Draconis, Dark Souls; all of those are variations on twitch based.

I liked the way that DA:O handled the issue of a single player controlling a team while still giving you real-time combat. It had some bugs, but the concept of setting up scripted tactics was good. I always enjoyed the challenge of setting up the scripts so that the non-PC team members could handle any situation in real-time with me having to take them over.

Forum veteran
Christ on a crutch! Turn based combat belongs in cartoon games for children
Oof.

Glad we're keeping the level of discourse reasonable, here. I'm down with either, though while we're making well-researched and argued points, I feel it important to mention that real time combat is totally what Hitler did.

Attachments

• kotor2_screen1.jpg
    kotor2_screen1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 45
No offense but, this is the most stupid question I've heard in a long time. You know how bad this game would fail if it turned into some outdated Japanese turn-based system? Holy ******* god!

Pretty sure there is no way to say, "this is the most stupid question I've heard in a long time." without a certain flavour of offense.

Real time with pause could work - I quite liked VATS. Even turn based wouldn't be the end of the world, although it would be...jarring.

It should definitely be real time. Turn-based is a system designed for multi-character tactical planning or a top-down RPG. The only issue is having combat rely on character skills and attributes, and not a button-mashing slugfest like other games. I absolutely despise the snap-to-cover system even though it's really the only way to keep firefights drawn out and allow projectiles to be heavily damaging, but this game has a heavy amount of melee involved, so I doubt a cover system is reasonable, thankfully.

If somebody could devise a real-time combat system that relies heavily on character attributes that allows for a multitude of options in combat from ranged weapons to melee weapons to cyber augmentations, please share. It's one of them questions.

At any rate, the only thing I can think of is heavy damage resistance, meaning taking 300 bullets before losing half of your health (which is just downright unreasonable) or contextual cover, which I would love. Crouching that isn't sneaking and the ability to dodge are a must-have. Fluid movement and well made animations are integral as well. I think a system that allows swapping the side of the over-the-shoulder camera and perhaps leaning around corners would be fantastic, for starters.

Top Bottom