Turn Based or Real Time Combat?

+
If it really works that way on you, I'm envious. After 20 years of playing shooters it's hard for me to get excited about another one. In the end of the day, they all play the same - more or less. Thinking and calculating on the other hand never gets old. And if the risks and difficulty are set high enough, it can be pretty exciting as well.

A..controller? Disgusting. And if you are anywhere near focus in a shooter, it's not a mistake with a controller that will get you - it's target priority and maneuvering selection.

I wouldn't deny that tactical games can create tension. I would deny that it is an immediate tension, one requiring instant focus and attention to detail.

Hey, Ive played X Com - the good one and the not-quite-as-good one. I'm aware what it's like to lose your damn Medic-Captain. Urgh! But that's more frustrating than it is fear-inspiring.

Have you played STALKER? Yeah. That is fear-inspiring.

X Com on Ironman is more tension-building, but then again, every game is.

Prisoner - you make an excellent point. Well, you both do, of course, but I already addressed Kof...something-unpronounceable's point.

I am bored at the thought of another shooter, oh yes. But a shooter-sneaker-vault-over-them-and-keep-running game I'm interested in.

I want that immersion, that totality of now. I got it from all sort of games, but the best were from First Person with real time combat.

Because a tactical game allows pause for breath, thought, consideration. You can whip the camera around, take a look at all angles, etc.

In an immediate environment, the only break is to hit the ESC button which will typically obsure your whole screen. It is a temporary relief and one most of us don't even try for - your best chance in a nasty FPS/TPS situation is to be quick and accurate and not hesitate.

These "viable strategies" are the reason it's not tense and freaky. Any viable strategy you try for in a gunfight ought to be pretty simple and to the point - it's a gunfight, not chess. Your life is on the line. There is no nice, safe overview of the battlefield.

Crazy, messy gun and knife fights are a Street staple. They aren't nicely calculated maximum-force to minimum-area surgical strikes. If you can lean back and sip your coffee, you aren't playing Cyberpunk. Maximum attitude on the mean streets - not a nice read over your tactical options.

This pretty nicely sums up my thoughts on the matter.

It's like shooting guns in movies. To increase the drama they enhance the sounds of the guns in a movie so it feels like there's really something deadly and dangerous going on, while in reality the guns sound a lot less dramatic, a few "clack-clack-clack" and it's over.

I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to V.A.T.S from the Fallout series especially with all the cyber implants and augmentations that are going to be available to us.

I wouldn't deny that tactical games can create tension. I would deny that it is an immediate tension, one requiring instant focus and attention to detail.

Hey, Ive played X Com - the good one and the not-quite-as-good one. I'm aware what it's like to lose your damn Medic-Captain. Urgh! But that's more frustrating than it is fear-inspiring.

It's like dying in a shooter - usually more frustrating than fear inspiring. But doing your best to prevent it from happening does create tension. Pretty immediate one too.

Well, I suppose if I wanted to feel fear rather than tension, I'd go with a "more immediate" shootery gameplay. Somehow I never considered you'd play RPGs if you wanted raw, adrenaline-pumping, fear-inspiring action. That's certainly not why I play them.

Categories.

I've said it before - definitions circumscribe more than liberate.

I play GTA4, I played as Niko Bellic and tried to do things Niko would or wouldn't do. This included -not- running people over for fun, avoiding cops and murdering everyone who threatened my friends.

I play STALKER, believe me, I'm role-playing and pretending I'm someone else. Because if it was me, I'd just leave.

A lot of these games start to be genre-bending, too. Deus Ex, for example. Hitman, even.

And if it's life-and-death, yeah, I want to feel excited, worried, involved. Seems cheap otherwise.

My game selection reads right now as: Mechwarrior Online, Metro 2033, GW 2, Hitman Abso, Btman Arkham City and Homefront. That's the top row of what I'm playing.

So I'm into immersion.

Real time, definitely. Turn based is obviously good for PnP. But in terms of fun in video games, real time is usually the winner there.

...If a Boostergang drops in on the bar / club I'm in, or I get the drop on someone after sneaking up on 'em, I don't want to have to roll initiative.

(Though, if I have the appropriate warez, I wouldn't mind a "bullet time" type effect to simulate said warez in action.)

But rolling init is FUN when you are a Solo! Add your CS to the roll and it's fun times. Multiple actions ( at a -3 penalty) means a really fast guy can drop two or three people reliably before the first one clears leather.

I would like to see an auto-slowmo mode if you have Combat Sense and/or speedware that allows this option.

And Aiden..I don't know yet, really. Still undecided. I mean, yes, it is fun, but I can see where it might get shooter-repetitive soon.

But rolling init is FUN when you are a Solo! Add your CS to the roll and it's fun times. Multiple actions ( at a -3 penalty) means a really fast guy can drop two or three people reliably before the first one clears leather.

I would like to see an auto-slowmo mode if you have Combat Sense and/or speedware that allows this option.

And Aiden..I don't know yet, really. Still undecided. I mean, yes, it is fun, but I can see where it might get shooter-repetitive soon.
Ok thanks,btw most of the games you named are really good...apart from Absolution which to me is more of a Splinter Cell:Convinction/Batman:Arkham games hybrid than an actual Hitman game,but to each his own I guess.

*nods*

That'd be my interpretation of Combat Sense, and/or reflex boots.

The effect would stack, of course; Solo with maxed Combat Sense AND Sandevistan? Fuggedaboutit.

(I still think you should have to manually trigger Kerenzikov, though, to stay true to canon.)

Other way around, Redge. Sandevistan is manual trigger, goes off next round and lasts 5 rounds. Much less HUM cost, though. Kerenzikov is always-on.

I'd bet they are going to do Sandevistan, not Kerenzikov. Too annoying to implement.

I'd agree with you , Aiden. I mean, I like Abso, but I haven't played more than three or four levels so far. Mostly because Disguise on Professional diff, (or whatever the no-UI diff is) sucks so bad.

I'd bet they are going to do Sandevistan, not Kerenzikov. Too annoying to implement.
I dunno; for both, we seem to be picturing a "bullet time" mechanic. For Kerenzikov, it'd just be an automatic trigger, tied to certain events (someone visibly drawing a weapon, audible gunfire, getting shot, setting off a tripwire / motion sensor, etc.) I'm imagining the bullet-time effect to last as long as the threat is present. Once the threat is eliminated, everything spools back up to normal speed.

I dunno; for both, we seem to be picturing a "bullet time" mechanic. For Kerenzikov, it'd just be an automatic trigger, tied to certain events (someone visibly drawing a weapon, audible gunfire, getting shot, setting off a tripwire / motion sensor, etc.) I'm imagining the bullet-time effect to last as long as the threat is present. Once the threat is eliminated, everything spools back up to normal speed.

As in PnP, sure. Only picking the triggers would be tricky and the obvious solution is to have the player activate it. Leaving it on forever is going to be OP unless they are really careful about implementation, so they'll make it a temporary thing. Betcha.

And at that point we have Sandevistan. Which is too bad, because I'd love some kind of behind-the-scenes skill check. Kerenzikov might work like this: If you make Awareness, your slow-mo automatically kicks in as the bullet comes in from the enemy Rifle skill check. Or whatever.

Be pretty cool, huh? Walking down the street after you buy your SoyCaf and suddenly everything goes slo-ooo. You spin around, ( you move at regular speed), and see this little guy, his face full of rage, raising a Dai-Lung Streetmaster at your back.

"WTF?" you think, until you recognize the guy you saw with your ex-input at Atlantis last night.
"What did she TELL him about me?"
Your left arm makes a whining sound as the Minami 10 pops up and the smartgun link flickers to life in your vision, drawing a crosshair exactly over the guy's throat.

You remember she introduced him to you as "Rick". Bye-bye-Rick.

The SMG chatters once, a short burst at point-blank. Vision-dampeners clamp down quickly so the flash doesn't mess up the targeting matrix.

Normal time resumes and Rick collapses to the ground. Your coffee slops over on your meat hand.

"Ow!"

And at that point we have Sandevistan. Which is too bad, because I'd love some kind of behind-the-scenes skill check. If you make Awareness, your slow-mo kicks in as the bullet comes in from the enemy Rifle skill check. Or whatever.
Hm. As a video game mechanic, provided they include Awareness, I'd think that the more points you have in it, the better certain things stand out. Ambient noise of someone trying to get the drop on you, more detail on the guy trying to hide in the shadows or on the rooftop, the glint of a holsterd weapon under a jacket, etc.

As you describe it, I'd think of that as Kerenzikov. At the sound of Rick pulling his Street Master, (or possibly, at the sound of him yapping on in your direction on how he's gonna perforate you...) you'd think, "Uh oh..." and trigger your Sandevistan. As you turn around to see what the deal is, THEN everything goes slo-mo, then plays out as you describe.

Note to self: iced SoyCaf.

Oh, sorry. Should have been clearer - that was my rendition of how Kerenzikov might work.

Sandevistan is much simpler, as you post.

Nooot that I want to suppress anyone's preferences, ( of COURSE I do! I'm a Cpunk Ref! Suppression of you player filth is my job!), but CPGM, have you seen any of the stuff on Shadowrun Returns? I understand it's going to be turn-based tactical combat. I'm quite looking forward to it, as well.

Top Bottom