Turning off Quest Markers

+
This is NOT a solution but a WORKAROUND:

Very early on in the game you get a mission called 'Psycho Killer' (a woman named Regina gives it to you, I believe on the phone). This mission is a 'hunt' mission and as such has NO Quest Marker.

Accept the 'Psycho Killer' mission, select it in your Journal as the active mission and then never do it. And you are free of the yellow Quest Marker. There may be other similar missions in the game you'll have to try. Not a solution but a workaround till CDPR or Mods fix it.

Hope that helps :)
😮 Does this work? You're saying that the Orange-Objective-Dot is then NOT on screen?, and that it isnt/doesnt come back 100%? This would be a great bit of workaround, as I would definitely be willing to give it a try. Seeing as I already refunded, I would like to know for sure-SURE first. Thanks for the info of a possible work-around, this gives me a bit of hope. I was just going to start up a new Deus Ex GMDX playthrough, and maybe another Human Revolution Director's Cut instead to fill the cyberpunk-loss-due-to-hud-spam that i was experiencing(lol I know).

😮 Does this work?

Yes that does work. The nature of this Quest is that you're not supposed to know where the targets are so there is no marker. This literally stops working once you active another quest / complete this quest and I have no solution till you get the quest but that does work. As I said there may be other similar missions without a marker, I have not tried that.

Again it's not a solution as it doesn't solve any other HUD issue like item pickups, health bars etc. you might have. And this is a giant game. If the game at some point decides 'there needs to be somthing on screen regardless of active mission' or force you to make a certain main mission the active mission it won't work on that. Have not had that happen but I also didn't play 200+ h.
So take this as the workaround it is with a grain of salt.

First off Thanks for the info, and AWESOME! Secondly, im totally aware this is just literally a Player-workaround-and-unintended-for-HUD-options, but nonetheless this is awesome. Thanks for your info. For me it signals that a)hud can be "borked to be off sort of", and that it hopefully means, to me, that removing the perma-marker is probably able to be modded, or for CDPR-Cyberpunk Devs can add it easily, as its possible within the engine already. Cool deal!!! No ill will towards you if this doesnt work, dont think im counting on and holding you accountable if it doesnt, but i super appreaciate the effort to share this method!! Good Looks!!

Why when I go into "free map" option in map mode, does EVERY icon disappear? What's the point of looking around a featureless red map, with no icons on it to see where anything is? I thought the point in free map was to get a zoomed in, almost 3D, sideways view of the map, so you could see what floor/level certain activities are on, in the high rise buildings? The free roam map has no use cos everything is red with no features. HAVE ANY OF YOU DEVS ACTUALLY TRIED AND PLAYED YOUR OWN GAME IN 7 YEARS? POINTLESS. A POSSIBLY/PROBABLY FUTURE CLASSIC GAME, CURRENTLY BEING RUINED BY MUDDLED THINKING AND POOR REASONING DURING DEVELOPMENT. ITS FIXABLE. A LOT OF CLASSICS NEEDED PATCHING, BUT IT SHOULDNT BE THIS BAD DEVS. 🤦🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤞
Post automatically merged:

First off Thanks for the info, and AWESOME! Secondly, im totally aware this is just literally a Player-workaround-and-unintended-for-HUD-options, but nonetheless this is awesome. Thanks for your info. For me it signals that a)hud can be "borked to be off sort of", and that it hopefully means, to me, that removing the perma-marker is probably able to be modded, or for CDPR-Cyberpunk Devs can add it easily, as its possible within the engine already. Cool deal!!! No ill will towards you if this doesnt work, dont think im counting on and holding you accountable if it doesnt, but i super appreaciate the effort to share this method!! Good Looks!!
i had to finish some missions first but then (when you go on the street the first time i think) there was a quest (or job) that i could select and that didnt give me a marker. i can verify this but as said before this stops you from doing that quest and i dont know if and if yes when the next "markerless" quest appears

I just want to throw my voice into the mix as well. Please Please Please CDPR, give us the option to remove this Yellow Wart from our FOV... For those of us who grew up on games that yours so heavily draws from (Deus Ex, Half Life, etc), this is a distraction and goes a long way to defeat the whole purpose of playing an "Open World" game.

I have no problem option to disable for those who don't want it. Personally though In one of the videos I say them have the gps marker on the street. I cant seem to find how to enable that . I have to keep track on my mini map.

If someone knows how to enable the street version of the gps direction path marker please let me know thanks.

This is NOT a solution but a WORKAROUND:

Very early on in the game you get a mission called 'Psycho Killer' (a woman named Regina gives it to you, I believe on the phone). This mission is a 'hunt' mission and as such has NO Quest Marker.

Accept the 'Psycho Killer' mission, select it in your Journal as the active mission and then never do it. And you are free of the yellow Quest Marker. There may be other similar missions in the game you'll have to try. Not a solution but a workaround till CDPR or Mods fix it.

Hope that helps :)

This worked for me, thank you!

I'm enjoying a much more immersive roleplaying experience now that I don't have this destination marker telling me exactly where to go, every step of the way. I feel like it distracts from the journey.

Now just to figure out how to disable the NPC health bars and I will be happy :)

I just want to throw my voice into the mix as well. Please Please Please CDPR, give us the option to remove this Yellow Wart from our FOV... For those of us who grew up on games that yours so heavily draws from (Deus Ex, Half Life, etc), this is a distraction and goes a long way to defeat the whole purpose of playing an "Open World" game.
I feel you. Without throwing shade @ CDPR or @ Cyberpunk Devs, it did/does boggle my mind that a clean aesthetic, and non-hud-marker gameplay a la Dues Ex, Half Life, wasnt an option, or even a gameplay choice from the outset...,(or at least did someone say "hey this is a bit distracting on screen 90%+ of the time, lets give options for on/off all this stuff"?).

I played Deus Ex GOTY, Half Life, and Thief 1 & 2, for the first time after 2013(after Deus Ex HR DC blew my mind with more immersion-per-hour than I could think a game was capable of). After the initial acclimation period of getting used to the very small amount of hand holding, I came to enjoy the exploration, finding, discovery, immersion, etc, of those games. In fact some of the large levels on Deus Ex, and Thief literally are my favorite gaming experiences ever. Discovering versus having something shown with an straight-(blinking)-line to an objective..., I'd pick "discovery and immersion" for the win every time. If i need a game that plays itself I'll find one of ubisofts 10 games that are literally "hud marker-follow campaign". Or if i want the game to be an on rails story ill find a telltale game. Cyberpunk's AMAZINGLY CRAFTED world, I dont want an on rails-hand-pulling-this-way-and-that-experience. :coolstory: IMO-section done :) :coolstory:
I know there are all sorts of gamers these days, and that the wind blows in the console-hand-hold experience(for a few years now)-more than ever, and thats fine. But options for a game like this "Yes, PLEASE". Happy Cyberpunking to all!

*edit for clarity of some terrible sentnces/missing words*

Last edited:
Yes! I totally agree.

One of my biggest issues with the game. Personally I am fine with the tracked objective being shown with route on my minimap like in GTA.

But the never ending floating marker on screen is a real huge annoyance to me!

Yes! I totally agree.

One of my biggest issues with the game. Personally I am fine with the tracked objective being shown with route on my minimap like in GTA.

Yes! I totally agree.

Last edited:
I feel you. Without throwing shade @ CDPR or @ Cyberpunk Devs, it did/does boggle my mind that a clean aesthetic, and non-hud-marker gameplay a la Dues Ex, Half Life, wasnt an option, or even a gameplay choice from the outset...,(or at least did someone say "hey this is a bit distracting on screen 90%+ of the time, lets give options for on/off all this stuff"?).

I played Deus Ex GOTY, Half Life, and Thief 1 & 2, for the first time after 2013(after Deus Ex HR DC blew my mind with more immersion-per-hour than I could think a game was capable of). After the initial acclimation period of getting used to the very small amount of hand holding, I came to enjoy the exploration, finding, discovery, immersion, etc, of those games. In fact some of the large levels on Deus Ex, and Thief literally are my favorite gaming experiences ever. Discovering versus having something shown with an straight-(blinking)-line to an objective..., I'd pick "discovery and immersion" for the win every time. If i need a game that plays itself I'll find one of ubisofts 10 games that are literally "hud marker-follow campaign". Or if i want the game to be an on rails story ill find a telltale game. Cyberpunk's AMAZINGLY CRAFTED world, I dont want an on rails-hand-pulling-this-way-and-that-experience. :coolstory: IMO-section done :) :coolstory:
I know there are all sorts of gamers these days, and that the wind blows in the console-hand-hold experience(for a few years now)-more than ever, and thats fine. But options for a game like this "Yes, PLEASE". Happy Cyberpunking to all!

*edit for clarity of some terrible sentnces/missing words*

I second this! The Cyberpunk quest marker fucked me over yesterday. I was on a side quest where I needed to find someone in an area. So I talk to some people and one of them says: "the person you're looking for is in the building across the street." So without thinking I just followed the quest marker to the front door of the building, paid an entrance fee, entered and completed the quest. And it's only on my way down that I found 2 side entrances!! There were literally 3 ways to enter this building if you looked around and did some clever thinking, but I totally missed the exploration experience because I went straight for the quest marker.

On one hand, it's my fault for not investigating better, but on the other hand I would've probably had way more fun with this side quest if I didn't have the quest marker in the first place.

Who win the race, the modder or the devs?
I wait for the winner before continue playing, game looks to good for some permanent yellow icon to ruin it.

A toggle on/off key would be great.

Iam confident this will be added, after all we are not at ubisoft here right?

The modders right now taken the lead. On nexus thers a console out.

Ink.SetDrawEnabled(0)
(Hud)

Havent testet it yet.
This console not yet the yellow of the egg but its a move into right direction.

Last edited:
+1

The game really needs a "no mission" selection.

Often I explore the world or go shoot up gangsters on an aimless stroll, in which case the always-on object, map marker and minimap pathing on my HUD is just plain irritating.

Furthermore, after finishing any mission, the game seems to auto-select the next main story objective. This is a real problem after finishing the main story. I really, really, really don't want to meet Hanako in the fancy bar again.

Sadly the console from nexus doesnt do the trick, for now only good for add items stuff...

Dear Adam Kicinski, please liberate us from the chains of supervised playing. There is no need to grap us by the hand with this floating questhud icon.
Thank you

Although there doesn't seem to be an option to do this in game. For anyone looking for an idea that might help - simply mark your next mission as a phone call. This won't show up on your hud/map at least giving the illusion of no physical mission markers

The marker is killing me, and the immersion, and the exploration, and the discovery, and the gameplay. Desperately need an On / Off / Scanner View Only option, and needed it a week ago. Have a key like Z cycle through those instead! Or just let us untrack missions for real, and only show it when we deliberately manually track them like a normal game! The workaround is not good enough at all, and will go away when those missions do.

It's useful info to have if playing without a minimap as I'm sure most of us seeking immersion do, but having it pulse brightly on screen all the time is the worst. Having it lead you by the hand everywhere in every mission is a massive dealbreaker.

Keeping it hidden but accessible via the scanner mode makes total in-world sense to me, I would only change it to match the coloring and aesthetic of that view. It'd then be basically the same implementation of the waypoint markers you can see only when using Witcher sense in TW3 with the Friendly HUD mod option. They could have taken so much from that excellent mod. Still think most of those features should have been patched into that game officially by CDPR. This one, too.

A friend of mine said the best option would be to make it a cybernetic eye mod you have to equip. It could be the default, but players could take it out and replace it if they wanted to. I love that idea as well. There are a lot of choices, but they need to do something, anything ASAP.

The marker is killing me, and the immersion, and the exploration, and the discovery, and the gameplay. Desperately need an On / Off / Scanner View Only option, and needed it a week ago. Have a key like Z cycle through those instead! Or just let us untrack missions for real, and only show it when we deliberately manually track them like a normal game! The workaround is not good enough at all, and will go away when those missions do.

It's useful info to have if playing without a minimap as I'm sure most of us seeking immersion do, but having it pulse brightly on screen all the time is the worst. Having it lead you by the hand everywhere in every mission is a massive dealbreaker.

Keeping it hidden but accessible via the scanner mode makes total in-world sense to me, I would only change it to match the coloring and aesthetic of that view. It'd then be basically the same implementation of the waypoint markers you can see only when using Witcher sense in TW3 with the Friendly HUD mod option. They could have taken so much from that excellent mod. Still think most of those features should have been patched into that game officially by CDPR. This one, too.

A friend of mine said the best option would be to make it a cybernetic eye mod you have to equip. It could be the default, but players could take it out and replace it if they wanted to. I love that idea as well. There are a lot of choices, but they need to do something, anything ASAP.

yea tbh i dont understand how they could miss that opportunity and just dump all those scren informations into scanner mode ez pz i think even dying light did it

You can deselect the active quest on the journal pane.

You cannot do this. Please, for the love of God, allow us to turn off the active quest marker. This is probably the only open world game I've ever played which forces you to have an active quest AND constantly provides tracking to it. Please fix this, such an easy one in the scheme of things.

Top Bottom