TV series

+

Guest 2091327

TV series

Before I used to watch some TV series fairly regularly. Used to like watching the Big Bang Theory, although I always disliked the so-called star of the show, Sheldon. If they had an episode where people would do nothing but hit him viciously in the face that would be a good episode. It used to be fairly decent though, but I think it has gone downhill recently.

Not nearly as downhill as How I met your mother though. That show used to be really good, the first couple of seasons or so. I just finished watching one of the first episodes of season 8, and I swear, I was closer to running into the toilet to hurl than to laugh. It's just a mushy sugary soup of 'family' friendly bollocks now, with one predictable "joke" and event following the other. The only person still able to somewhat carry the show is Barney, but even he is going downhill now.

I need something new to watch because both of these are crap now. What is good?

Pangaea said:
Before I used to watch some TV series fairly regularly. Used to like watching the Big Bang Theory, although I always disliked the so-called star of the show, Sheldon. If they had an episode where people would do nothing but hit him viciously in the face that would be a good episode. It used to be fairly decent though, but I think it has gone downhill recently.

Not nearly as downhill as How I met your mother though. That show used to be really good, the first couple of seasons or so. I just finished watching one of the first episodes of season 8, and I swear, I was closer to running into the toilet to hurl than to laugh. It's just a mushy sugary soup of 'family' friendly bollocks now, with one predictable "joke" and event following the other. The only person still able to somewhat carry the show is Barney, but even he is going downhill now.

I need something new to watch because both of these are crap now. What is good?

I like Wilfred, it's awkward and weird.

Some very clever and entertaining sitcoms are Arrested Development and 30 Rock.

Both Big Bang Theory and HIMYM have always been shit.

As for me, I threw away my tv because everything on it is complete shit. And no, I'm not joking. I used to watch Friends, Third Watch, Batman TAS, A LOT of documentaries, The Simpsons, sometimes Family Guy. That's about it, can't really think of anything else of the top of my head. Interestingly, all of those shows gradually fell in quality until they became just plain bad or fucking beyond terrible so there's really no reason for me to have a tv. Well except for the documentaries but I don't have any dedicated channel dedicated to showing that stuff exclusively so I'd rather just watch in on my PC.

So no. Can't really recommend anything on TV. I can recommend some anime if you want. Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Death Note are good shows to start with. Or just read books. Or watch old movies. Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, Patton. You know, the classics. Since this is a game forum, I could suggest some games too but eh.

Guest 2091327

FoggyFishburne said:
Both Big Bang Theory and HIMYM have always been shit.

As for me, I threw away my tv because everything on it is complete shit. And no, I'm not joking. I used to watch Friends, Third Watch, Batman TAS, A LOT of documentaries, The Simpsons, sometimes Family Guy. That's about it, can't really think of anything else of the top of my head. Interestingly, all of those shows gradually fell in quality until they became just plain bad or fucking beyond terrible so there's really no reason for me to have a tv. Well except for the documentaries but I don't have any dedicated channel dedicated to showing that stuff exclusively so I'd rather just watch in on my PC.

So no. Can't really recommend anything on TV. I can recommend some anime if you want. Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Death Note are good shows to start with. Or just read books. Or watch old movies. Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, Patton. You know, the classics. Since this is a game forum, I could suggest some games too but eh.

That's almost to a tee my situation too. Actually liked Friends when it was on, but if I saw it today maybe it would be just as hurl-worthy as HIMYM. Have a TV, but it's barely ever on, because with preciously few exceptions, there is nothing but filth and crap and retarded shit in the tube. Sometimes you can almost feel the intelligence points withering away. Documentaries is something I love to watch, but there aren't that many on, and most of those I could see on the PC anyway. Discovery Channel and mostly National Geographic have turned to utter wank too, and both used to be really good 10 or so years ago. Simpsons used to be great but is rather meh now, but at least Futurama is still decent at times.

One TV series I really liked was Farscape, but that one got cancelled too quickly. Still, it was fairly good and different from most other similar series. Lawrence of Arabia is a great movie, but very long and one thing I like about series is to watch an episode or two while eating dinner for example. So a 3-hour movie or reading a book is somewhat impractical.

I don't watch TV either now, except the News sometimes. But a episode of Mythbusters here and there is always very nice. I also sometimes watch the Simpsons or Family Guy or South Park etc when I am bored, but usually I much prefer watching YouTubers like Etho, DoWreplays, TnA and other gaming channels.

I don't watch a lot of TV shows these days, but some of my faves are Cold Case, CSI:NY, La Femme Nikita (the old one with Peta Wilson), The X-Files (it's probably super cheesy now), Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Life on Mars is also a good one, and I think it has very few episodes, so it shouldn't take long to watch.

Breaking Bad and Game of thrones, also falling skies. besides that the only other thing i watch is anime and satirical show like daily show , colbert report, and real time with bill maher

Not much in the way of good tv these days. One thing that has been around forever and I didn't realize how good it was until recently is Dr. Who. Another of BBC America's original shows that I found interesting is Copper. Unfortunately, it is on break right now.

All the documentary channels have gone the way of reality tv programming and very little if any educational programming.

My two cents,

MDA

I used to watch both TBBT and HIMYM, but I gave up after three seasons, because for me they got to stale and I noticed dropping quality. In addition I did not think that they are too great to begin with.

Few of my recommendations:
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - it's a comedy that is darker and more organic than most of things currently on TV. They are not afraid to touch depressing and serious topic and laugh at them and provide commentary on those issues, without being offensive or just trying to be edgy. It's about a group of friends who own a pub. They are also a bunch of sociopaths and ignorant people.

Community - this comedy starts out like a standard sitcom, but by the end of first season it develops it's original humor full of references to pop culture and self-awareness. This show, unlike many others, has heart and soult rather than just trying to jerk your emotions how HIMYM does once n a while. Plot follows members of a study group at a community college.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - full of dry humor, follows fictionalized version of Larry David (he is one of creators of Seinfield) around. It is quite original, stands out compared to most of other shows. It's pretty good, worth giving it a try. Just a heads up - it's similar to Woody Allen's early work.

Louie - show that follows fictionalized life of Louis C. K. and his stand up comedy. Very good, rewards patience, but not for everyone. Similar in quite a few ways to Curb Your Enthusiasm

Aside of those I agree with others on the Arrested Developement, Wilfred, Game of Thrones, and Breaking Bad.
If you're looking to learn something while watching, there is only NOVA left.

Ive always like the Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother, but you are right, i preferred it when sheldon was just another character but now he's the star, but anyways some good shows:
The Flight Of The Conchords (sitcom about a funny band)
The Community (the best, its a very funny sitcom, my personal favourite)
Leverage (about con men, kinda like oceans 11, 12 and 13 in episodes with action)
Game Of Thrones (awesome show about a fantasy world, its kinda inappropriate but if you like the witcher you will love it!)
Spartacus (another really gory show about gladiators)
True Blood (yet another inappropriate, gory show about vampires but very good)
Chuck (a pretty appropriate show about a spy)
Friends (Like how i met your mother, you probably know it, its my second favourite)
Castle (a thriller/murder/mystery show about an author and a detective)
NCIS (another thriller show, but its only about the army and crimes to do with like petty officers)
Heroes (an awesome show about people with special abilities)
Family Guy (awesome sitcom, cartoon, like the simpsons but much more inappropriate and funny)
Cleveland Show (made by the same people as Family Guy, almost as good)
Yea, there are many more but those are the ones i think of the top of my head

How about without going into tastes and likes I'll post my list of series I watch?
The Walking Dead
Dexter
Person of interest
Game of Thrones
True Blood
Justified
------------
Older or cancelled:
Battlestar gallactica (reimagined)
Firefly
Deadwood
Rome (season 1 and 2)

The Simpsons (yeah, the new series are bad, but the first 12 - 13 series are the best seasons of any comedic TV show)
Futurama (from the creators of The Simpsons, but sci-fi and almost as good as The Simpsons in their best seasons)
Family Guy (sometimes)
Friends (classic)
Big Bang Theory (it's getting worse every season)
HIMYM (the first seasons)
Games of Thrones (fantastic TV show)
Deadwood (i'm loving this dark, brutal yet sometimes comedic western style show)
IT Crowd (great british show)
Black Books (english humor :D )
The 70's Show (fantastic show, Mila Kunis :) )
American Horror Story (good horror series)
Modern Family (smart comedic show)
Spartacus (i have only seen the first season but it was great)
X-Files (still pretty good even in this times)

I have them on HDD or i'm watching them online.. i'm only using the TV because of sports - mainly footbal or hockey, the advantages of the big screen :D

By the way I don't own a T.V., I watch shows on Netflix and Hulu. If you don't mind older shows, I also like Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and some episodes from shows like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.
If you like clever comedy, then really watch those I mentioned before.
I don't watch many sci-fi shows, they usually have some interesting concepts going on but are almost always stupidly executed. I do like Star Trek: The Next Generation though :p
Catch all those online. Who needs cable? pfft!

Game of Thrones, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Person of Interest, Arrow are the ones I'm watching right now :D of course I love them (in that order)

Volsung said:
By the way I don't own a T.V., I watch shows on Netflix and Hulu. If you don't mind older shows, I also like Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and some episodes from shows like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.
If you like clever comedy, then really watch those I mentioned before.
I don't watch many sci-fi shows, they usually have some interesting concepts going on but are almost always stupidly executed. I do like Star Trek: The Next Generation though :p
Catch all those online. Who needs cable? pfft!

I don't have a TV either, i just get them on netflix, apple tv and watch some on like vimeo.com. Go to some sites that you can watch shows online and watch the pilot episodes to some TV shows, If you like the witcher world, environment and stuff, you will like Game Of Thrones

We don't watch a lot of TV, but here are some series we like. We watch them using Netflix, primarily.

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Falling Skies
Sons of Anarchy
Dexter
Hell on Wheels
Fringe
Game of Thrones

We liked Big Love, when it was running.

An older series I liked was Millennium.

I hear good things about Homeland, but we haven't started watching that yet.

Guest 2091327

Watched the pilots of Breaking Bad and Community earlier, and they looked good, especially Breaking Bad. Community also had a fucking annoying ad for jay leno or some shit show like that over the screen ALL THE TIME, which I absolutely HATE. Will watch a few more episodes of these and see if they are to my liking.

Game of Thrones is a great series, but I've seen all episodes and waiting for season 3. Until then, I'll keep progressing in the books :)

Some old shows that were good: Seinfeld and Blackadder.

You just watch Breaking Bad for the first Pangaea?! You should watch Malcom in the Middle then Breaking Bad just for kicks. It still amazes me how talented Bryan Cranston is.

Top Bottom