TW 2 Enhanced Edition Retail version

+
Hello,
I am a huge fan of The Witcher Universe and have all 3 games and I'm considering buying the retail edition a.k.a. the box with DVD's to put in on my shelf. Don't have the money to get the collectors edition. Can someone tell me what version of the game is on the DVD for The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition and if it's DRM-free or not. Can I use it as a physical backup copy or it's an older version?

When you say it's DRM-free you mean it's a non-Steam installer? I know that the witcher games on Steam/Origin are DRM-free and it's kinda confusing when you say it's DRM-free.

Well, you asked if it‘s drm free and I said it is. And it‘s definitely non-steam.

Usually CDPR games can be played without account.
But I don‘t own a physical version of the witcher games, only the one from gog.

DRM-free means that the games do not need to connect online in order to validate the installation. You can simply install the data to your computer and play. (Certain games may need the physical CD in the drive, as a common technique at the time was to leave huge files (like FMV and music tracks) on the CD / DVD instead of gobbling up hundreds and hundreds of MB on a hard drive. In that regard, it could be viewed as "copy protection", but it wasn't a definitive "check" to authorize the game to launch.)

Nowadays, DRM normally means that players must have either an online connection and/or a specific front-end client installed (Steam, Origin, etc.) that will actively check that the game is authorized at launch. Or it will make ongoing checks with a server as you play.

GOG doesn't do this. Whether using Galaxy or simply downloading installation packages directly through your browser, the game simply installs and runs off of its own data. It does not require any 3rd-party "validation" to launch / run. (Obviously online-only, server-based games will still need a connection. ;))

Top Bottom