[TW1] [adventure] Yennefer's Valentine: a bite-sized adventure

+
[TW1] [adventure] Yennefer's Valentine: a bite-sized adventure

Description

"Yennefer's Valentine" is a short adventure for The Witcher that takes only 15 minutes to play.

In this adventure, we look in on Geralt and Yennefer as they celebrate Valentine's Day together. Well, sort of together. ;) This mini adventure is intentionally somewhat silly, rather than deep or meaningful, so don't hurt me if Yennefer isn't exactly as you'd hoped for. :) Even though it's extremely short, there are six possible paths through the game -- two main paths with three permutations each.

Fight alongside Zoltan or compose poetry with Dandelion. Succeed in your tasks and enjoy the make-out scene as Yennefer comes to your arms.

I made this thing in less than a week, so don't expect something like "Medical Problems," okay? It's not just shorter than MP's 1 and 2, it's also less obsessively detailed.

Download Details

Get it at The Witcher Nexus or at corylea.com

The file you download is called yen_valentine.zip, and if you look at it in Windows Explorer, it should say that it has a file size of 53,607 KB.
Unzip that file, and you should have two files: a README and the adventure file. The adventure file is called yens_valentine.adv, and if you look at it in Windows Explorer, it should say that it has a file size of 84,890 KB.

A Couple of Notes:

1. If your copy of The Witcher is installed in English, everything about this adventure should work just fine. If your copy of The Witcher is installed in another language, even if you have the text language set to English, the teleportation dialogue that the portal gives you may be in your original language and may have the original choices, rather than the ones that belong to this adventure. This isn't anything that I did; it's just a quirk of the game's engine.

If you get this problem, there's an easy way around it, though; just remember that
a. "The Swamp Tower" (however that's said in your language) -- or the first choice you're offered -- actually means "Dandelion knows a lot about women. I'll go ask his advice."
b. "The Elven ruins in the sewers" (however that's said in your language) -- or the second choice you're offered -- actually means "Zoltan is level-headed and helpful. I'll go ask his advice." To be on the safe side, save your game before using the portal.

2. Yennefer tells you not to move while you're using the portal or while you're using the teleportation scroll that she gives you. Listen to her! Don't move after you've started teleporting until you get where you're going and the teleportation special effect turns off. (You don't want Geralt to arrive missing an arm, do you? :) )

A few cool things to notice

1. There's a portrait of Geralt on the wall in Yennefer's apartment, just to the right of her bed.
2. What does that monster look like it's made of? Well, what does it EAT, after all. :)
3. Once you've taken the chocolate box quest item, you'll have access to the pound of chocolates that's contained inside it. Geralt can eat these chocolates, and they act like any other food, boosting his vitality regeneration for a short while.
4. The animation for the make-out scene at the end of the game has been present in The Witcher all along, but for some reason, CDPR decided not to show it to us. I thought it was too lovely to go unseen, so I'm showing it to you. Good job, CDPR!

How to get help, ask questions, and make comments

You can leave questions or comments in the "Yennefer's Valentine" thread at either the official Witcher forum or at the Witcher Nexus. You can also send mail to medicalproblemsquiz at gmail dot com. If you play the adventure and like it, I'd love to hear what you liked about it!

Credits

Everything that wasn't made by CDPR was made by Cory "Corylea" Kerens, with the exception of the lovely nude Yennefer texture, which is the work of Felldude. Thanks, Felldude!

Big thanks to my playtesters: Dragonbird and Secondchildren. You guys are the best!

The music over the opening and closing movies is that of Dandelion playing the lute. As long as he keeps his mouth shut, he sounds pretty good. :)

Installation Instructions

Installation for Windows XP:

1. Copy the ADV file to the Shared Documents\The Witcher folder. The easiest way to find this is in My Computer. You should see a m1_module.adv file already in this folder. If not, it's probably in the wrong folder, unless you know that you've removed "The Price of Neutrality." If you can't find it, open up Windows Explorer and put C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\The Witcher in the Address bar at the top.

2. The first time you start the game, go to the Options panel, to the Game Options tab and make sure that the "Subtitles" option is checked.

3. If the language in which you play The Witcher is not already set to English, please set it to English before starting up the adventure, or you'll get a bizarre error message.

4. Note that this adventure is for The Witcher; it is not intended for -- and will not work with -- The Witcher 2.

Installation for Windows Vista:

1. Copy the ADV file to the C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\The Witcher folder. You should see a m1_module.adv file already in this folder. If not, it's probably in the wrong folder, unless you know that you've removed "The Price of Neutrality."

2. The first time you start the game, go to the Options panel, to the Game Options tab and make sure that the "Subtitles" option is checked.

3. If the language in which you play The Witcher is not already set to English, please set it to English before starting up the adventure, or you'll get a bizarre error message.

4. Note that this adventure is for The Witcher; it is not intended for -- and will not work with -- The Witcher 2.

Installation for Windows 7:

1. Copy the ADV file to the C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\The Witcher folder. You should see a m1_module.adv file already in this folder. If not, it's probably in the wrong folder, unless you know that you've removed "The Price of Neutrality."

Installation for the Mac (via Steam)

1. Unzip the folder and put the .adv file into
/Users//Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the witcher enhanced edition/The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Public/Documents/The Witcher/

(Unless you moved your Witcher installation to another place, in which case, put it in
The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Public/Documents/The Witcher/)

"Yennefer's Valentine" is copyright 2012 by Cory Lea Kerens.

This adventure was released under the Creative Commons License: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)

NotSlimgrin said:
Wait a minute...do I get a different 'gift' for each item?
Nope. Sorry. There aren't THAT many unused cool animations kicking around in the files. You have a choice of helpers and a choice of monsters to kill, but that's all.

Finished it :3 I was trying not to play it until Valentine's (you know... Me being a loner and all xD) but the temptation was too great. Loved it.

And BTW, I just realized you're the same Corylea from "Book of All Knowledge" and "Wolf Companion", those mods made my life a lot better last year, so I'm taking this chance to thank you for those as well.

Keep up the good work! :)

Got to play it this morning...all 6 different variations . What can i say i`m a sucker for the "ultimate" gift !
Thank you very much for this ! You are a wonderful asset to the witcher community !

Played all six paths. Definitly, my fav gift is still the feather :)

But now I'm hungry, I wanna more adv with Yen and Geralt!

Perfect it's all about love and i love it.I couldnt endorce it in nexus/site so i vote for you instead :)

WardDragon said:
Awesome :D I'm downloading it now :D
When you get around to playing it, I'll be interested to hear what you thought of it.

WardDragon said:
The ultimate must-have Valentine's Gift!
Thank you, Corylea
Thank YOU, dear Dragonbird, for play testing! I'm very observant about words and very UNobservant about objects, so it's great to have people notice things like, oh, an entire wall missing.

WardDragon said:
Finished it :3 I was trying not to play it until Valentine's (you know... Me being a loner and all xD)
You know, there are a LOT of people who are alone on Valentine's Day. Maybe you could invite a few of them over, and then none of you would be alone...

WardDragon said:
Loved it.
I'm glad to hear it; thank you.

WardDragon said:
And BTW, I just realized you're the same Corylea from "Book of All Knowledge" and "Wolf Companion", those mods made my life a lot better last year, so I'm taking this chance to thank you for those as well.
Thanks for letting me know that you're using them and that you like them. I make this stuff in isolation, and then I'm burning with curiosity about whether people are using my stuff and if they like it. So thanks for the comment!

WardDragon said:
Keep up the good work! :)
I've made this mini-adventure, two big adventures, and 16 small mods. I've made just about every mod I can think of ... but I do take requests.

WardDragon said:
Corylea, that is really sweet.
I'm so glad you liked it!

WardDragon said:
And yes, Geralt's sword is mightier than his pen
*laugh* Isn't it, though! I had so much fun writing Geralt's little poem. I told my husband about it, and he said, "But that's TERRIBLE; you can't use that." I said, "No, no, you don't understand; it's SUPPOSED TO be bad."

(And yes, I know that Geralt is actually a very eloquent fellow, especially in the books. But I think he's impatient with poetry, so he snaps off some doggerel to get Dandelion to switch to a different tact.)

Sorry for the double post, but the forum software wouldn't let me answer everybody in one post.

Tommy said:
Got to play it this morning...all 6 different variations .
Wow! You ARE a completionist. :D

Tommy said:
What can i say i`m a sucker for the "ultimate" gift !
Me, too. I had to play test this adventure dozens of times while making it, and I never got tired of watching Geralt and Yen at the end. (I also cracked up every time I saw the journal update after killing the first monster, which I imagined in a "Joe Friday" kind of voice; the contrast between the standard serious Witcher journal update and the silliness of the monster and what Geralt was searching for tickled me. But then, I am easily amused. )

Tommy said:
Thank you very much for this ! You are a wonderful asset to the witcher community !
Aww, that's so sweet of you to say! Thank you. You are, too, you know.

Tommy said:
Played all six paths. Definitly, my fav gift is still the feather :)
Thank you so much for play-testing! I'm so glad your Witcher was installed in Italian, so we could discover that weird little curve ball the engine threw at us.

Tommy said:
But now I'm hungry, I wanna more adv with Yen and Geralt!
I'm working on a stand-alone game of my very own. But it's a lot harder to make than TW1 adventures are, so I may take a break from that and visit Geralt and Yen again, for the next major holiday. ;)

Tommy said:
Thanks Cory, can't wait to try it out!
I look forward to hearing what you think of it!

Tommy said:
Perfect it's all about love and i love it.
Thank you! I'm very glad that you like it.

Tommy said:
I couldnt endorce it in nexus/site so i vote for you instead :)
Is there some sort of problem at the Nexus site?

Played it this morning and enjoyed it. :)

I chose to go to Dandelion and got the cockatrice feather, thought it was the most chique-ish.
It was very... rewarding. ;)

Thanks!

Top Bottom