[TW1] [Bug Fix] Fix for the Vizima Confidential Problem

+
[TW1] [Bug Fix] Fix for the Vizima Confidential Problem

This fix contains a spoiler for a very important fact about Chapter 2 of TW1. Don't read any further if you have not yet played Chapter 2 of The Witcher!

There's a bug in Chapter 2 of The Witcher that makes the game potentially unfinishable. After you hire Raymond to investigate Salamandra for you, after several further interactions with Raymond, the game progresses to the point where a little boy comes to find you and asks you to go see Raymond. You can break the game if you DON'T go see him then. If you find Raymond's body in the crypt BEFORE you go see Raymond after the little boy comes to get you, then you're stuck.

I've made a fix for stuck people, but it takes a certain do-it-yourself ability on your part. I've hacked the Vizima Confidential quest using Djinni, to force the quest past the stuck point. To make the new version of the quest work, you need to put the new version of the quest INSIDE your saved game and you also need to put the supporting files into your The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Data folder.

The quests are part of your saved game files, so you can't alter a quest by simply putting a new quest file in the Override folder, the way you can alter other things. BUT you can open your saved game with ScripterRon's wonderful Saved Game Editor, take out the broken version of the quest, and put in my hacked version.

This fix doesn't PREVENT the bug; it just fixes it if you get stuck. The best prevention, by far, is to follow the little boy as soon as he comes to get you.

No Djinni skills are required -- I've done that for you -- all you have to be able to use is the Saved Game Editor.

Don't be intimidated by the number of steps below! There are a lot of steps because I've tried to specify everything you need to do, to make this as fool-proof as possible. It's actually all very easy. ;)

To fix your game, do this:

Simple Instructions for Advanced Users

1. Open your saved game using the Saved Game Editor and replace the broken quest file with the new quest file I've given you.

2. Put the Override folder in your The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Data folder.

Detailed instructions for Less Advanced Users

1. Download and install ScripterRon's Saved Game Editor. (I didn't make it, and I don't maintain or support it, so you're mostly on your own when installing it, though sometimes Tommy or Licaon_Kter can help you get it installed and working if you have trouble with it.)

2. Download and unzip the FixVizimaConfidential.zip folder that's at the bottom of this post.

3. Create an empty folder -- you can put it anywhere, as long as you can find it again ;) -- and name it something like UnpackSavedGameFilesHere.

4. Back up your saved game by copying it to your desktop.

5. Start up the Saved Game Editor. Open your saved game by going to the File menu, then choosing Open. You'll get a pop-up box that lists all of the saved games that are in your The Witcher\saves folder; pick the saved game you want to edit.

6. Once the right game is open, choose the option to Unpack the files to that UnpackSavedGameFilesHere folder you created; you'll find Unpack under the Action menu.

7. Leave the Saved Game Editor open. Meanwhile, go to the UnpackSavedGameFilesHere folder and remove the file q2101_thecase.qst. (Do not remove or alter any other file!)

8. Go into the NewQuestFile folder I've given you (inside the FixVizimaConfidential folder you downloaded), and copy the q2101_thecase.qst file that you'll find inside it. (Copy just the quest file; do NOT copy the folder. There should be no folders inside your saved game.)

9. Paste this new version of q2101_thecase.qst into the UnpackSavedGameFilesHere folder.

10. Go back to the Saved Game Editor and tell it to Repack your files. Save the saved game and exit the Saved Game Editor.

11. Take the Override folder I've given you (inside the FixVizimaConfidential folder you downloaded) and put the folder and its contents in your The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Data folder. The Override folder IS necessary to make this fix work, so don't skip this step, and it does need to be in the right place.

People who have the disc version of the game can find the Data folder under Program Files\The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Data. If you have the Steam version on Windows, then it'll be Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Content\Data. For the Steam version on Mac, look for /Users//Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the witcher enhanced edition/The Witcher.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/The Witcher/Data/.

12. Your game should work now!

What to do in-game once your saved game has been fixed

Once all the files are in place, start up The Witcher and load the new saved game you've just made. Then follow these steps:

1. Talk to Raymond, and he'll tell you about the dead prisoner and suggest an autopsy.
2. You'll get a journal update that says that you don't need to do the autopsy because you already know who's guilty, through having found Raymond's body in the crypt.
3. Talk to Raymond again, and tell him that you've done the autopsy. (This isn't a bug; Geralt is intentionally lying.)
4. Raymond will say he needs some time to think about things, so exit Raymond's house.
5. Go back into Raymond's house and talk to him again. Things should proceed normally from there.

The necessary files are at the end of this post, though you have to be logged in to see them. They're also available at The Witcher Nexus.

This fix is only for this one specific problem with the Vizima Confidential quest -- the case where you've found Raymond's body in the crypt before you've followed the boy to see Raymond -- so you have not and CAN NOT pay Raymond his 200 orens, and hear that he wants you to do an autopsy. If you're having some OTHER problem with the Vizima Confidential quest, you should post a question about it in the Chapter 2 section of the TW1 subforum, as usual.

(Dragonbird edit: This link still exists as at November 2015, I've no idea if it's still valid)
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/306/?

Last edited by a moderator:
can the insertion process be done the way of the IFO-fix ? but instead of deleting SAV files you just overwrite q2101_thecase.qst

seems easier somehow :p

LicaonKter said:
can the insertion process be done the way of the IFO-fix ? but instead of deleting SAV files you just overwrite q2101_thecase.qst

seems easier somehow :p
No, it can't be done that way. I tried it, but it didn't work. The conversation with Raymond works, because of the new dialogue file in the Override folder, but the quest doesn't update when the conversation is done if you do it that way, so the player remains stuck.

The way I described isn't as complicated as the number of steps would make it appear; I just tried to make the process as fool-proof as possible by specifying everything. In the past, I've learned that if you don't say, "Unzip the file," then some people won't unzip it. :rolleyes: So I've described the process in an excruciating level of detail.

What it boils down to is.

1. Open your saved game using the Saved Game Editor and replace the broken quest file with the new quest file I've given you.
2. Put the Override folder in your The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Data folder.

See? Easy. ;)

OMG, you're still hunting down every last bug in The Witcher and come up with fixes!
Consider youself +repped and add an Oren to your balance.

DelightfulMcCoy said:
OMG, you're still hunting down every last bug in The Witcher and come up with fixes!
I posted this because someone asked for help with this particular problem a day or two ago. I'm not going through the game, looking for stuff to fix , but I do try to fix things when asked.

DelightfulMcCoy said:
Consider youself +repped and add an Oren to your balance.
Aww, thanks, hon! It's sweet of you to notice.

I have tried doing this multiple times and to be honest I have no clue whats wrong but I have literally done everything I can think of and starting the chapter over isn't an option either none of my save files go back that far -___-

voldric1 said:
I have tried doing this multiple times and to be honest I have no clue whats wrong but I have literally done everything I can think of and starting the chapter over isn't an option either none of my save files go back that far -___-
Unfortunately, this isn't enough information for us to be able to help you.

1. What's going on in your game that made you decide to apply this fix?

2. What part of applying the fix are you having trouble doing?

I have completed all of the side quests and done everything but the autopsy which I don't need to do because I found the body in the grave yard but when I go to talk with "raymond" he says yes? and then I have the option to say farewell or go to sleep. The only quest I have left at all says to talk to him.

As for what I need help doing I downloaded the files I needed with the new quest file and the over ride but when I tried to apply it Raymond still says the same thing.

I just went into the game editor and added the last sephiroth to my inventory and it updated the quest log without me talking to raymond saying I got the last one from him so im gonna go place them all and hope it works.

voldric1 said:
I have completed all of the side quests and done everything but the autopsy which I don't need to do because I found the body in the grave yard but when I go to talk with "raymond" he says yes? and then I have the option to say farewell or go to sleep. The only quest I have left at all says to talk to him.
It does sound as if you have the known Vizima Confidential problem, yes.

As for what I need help doing I downloaded the files I needed with the new quest file and the over ride but when I tried to apply it Raymond still says the same thing.
To apply the fix, you need to do two things:

1. Open up your saved game using the Saved Game Editor and insert the new quest file.

2. Put the Override folder into your Data directory.

When people have had trouble with this, they've either not altered their saved game properly or they've not put the Override folder into the right place.

Here's a picture of where the files go:

If you have trouble getting the file into your saved game, upload your saved game somewhere (zip it first, please), and I'll do it for you. MediaFire is a good place to upload files to, since they're free, and downloaders don't have to register.

I just fixed somebody's game last week, and a different person's the week before that. Both people claimed the fix didn't work, but one guy hadn't put the file into his saved game properly, and once I did it for him, it worked fine. The other guy thought that he needed to alter his saved game OR use the Override folder, and since he'd altered his saved game, he didn't bother with the folder. Once he added it, the fix worked.

voldric1 said:
I just went into the game editor and added the last sephiroth to my inventory and it updated the quest log without me talking to raymond saying I got the last one from him so im gonna go place them all and hope it works.
I don't recommend that; there are journal entries that are required to make the whole thing work. Follow the steps I gave you!

Nvm it let me complete the TWR quest but it didn't update the Vizima Confidential quest so the game is still stuck.

To be honest I have two folders called the Witcher that are all I can find one contains the save files and the other has four read files I can't find a folder called the witcher enhanced edition that has all those folders in it at all.

voldric1 said:
Nvm it let me complete the TWR quest but it didn't update the Vizima Confidential quest so the game is still stuck.
Yes, I told you that wouldn't work.

Show me a screenshot of where you've put the Override folder. Upload your saved game somewhere, and I'll add the quest for you.

voldric1 said:
To be honest I have two folders called the Witcher that are all I can find one contains the save files and the other has four read files I can't find a folder called the witcher enhanced edition that has all those folders in it at all.
Well, that's why the fix isn't working, then; your Override folder isn't in the right place. You should find a Witcher folder under Program Files.

It sounds like you don't need to upload your saved game, then; the location of the Override folder is the problem.

What version of the game do you have -- the Steam version, the disc version, or some other kind?

Which operating system are you using?

I have the seam version and I am operating on windows seven home premium. I can't find any witcher folders but those two that would explain why its not working though.

voldric1 said:
I have the seam version and I am operating on windows seven home premium. I can't find any witcher folders but those two that would explain why its not working though.
The Witcher files you need are under "Program Files." To find your Program Files, go to Start, then Computer. Then double click on your C: drive to open it; you'll get a list of what all is on there. There should be an entry on that list called "Program Files;" double click on that, and you'll find the necessary Witcher files under there.

Since you have Steam, you'll need to find Steam under Program Files, then steamapps again UNDER Steam, then common, then The Witcher Enhanced Edition.

Under The Witcher Enhanced Edition, the regular version of the game just has Data as one of the folders, but I think the Steam version has a Content folder, with the Data folder inside that.

The Override folder has to go inside the Data folder, so make sure you go down enough levels to find, not just the Witcher folder, but the Data folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ait4yj67i24m88u

I found the program files and added the over ride folder then deleted the quest file and added the modded one and I guess I did it wrong so I zipped it and added it to that website instead.

Top Bottom