[TW1][mod] Flash Mod v1.01

+
You can get 3 reds in chapter 1. You get one if you help kill the screamer at the very start. There's one in the chapel basement after you kill Leo's ghost. And the third one is in the crypt after you kill Ozrell, the crypt king.

Yeah, but it's kind of an RPG choice in doing that - and I tend to go and help Triss in the prologue. No mutated dog in Act I then either, so in a way you're doing the "right" choice since you thwart Salamandra more by doing so.

I decided to drop back to "full harder" and play through on that setting first. I need to improve my skills a lot to handle Hardest or Insanity I think. So far, so good! Thanks for all the feedback and advice :) I've checked out some of Andrzej's videos too, very helpful.Excellent job on the mods and the installer Andrzej :)

Something must be wrong with me.... I must be retarded or something.... :dead:I played through The Witcher on medium difficulty when I first bought it, getting all the way to Chapter IV. I stopped playing because I heard the Enhanced Edition was coming out.When the EE came out, I reinstalled The Witcher and started a new game on medium difficulty; I'm in the middle of Act I and on level 9 now and I just installed this mod. I chose the "Full Harder" option.............MAN, each individual Ghoul is like a boss!!!I went into the Crypt and desperately fight the same 1-2 ghouls over and over, dying every time, using every potion I have available; swallow, blizzard, and whetstone. I have all upgrades for Strong style tier 1 and 2, and a few upgrades for Fast style.... I simply cannot win against them.What the heck am I doing wrong?? ??? Can someone help me?Why do I suck so bad?

hithe problem is that players used to vanilla witcher use only half or less potential of equipment, potions, talents and their personal skills with mouse, strategy, creativity. in vanilla witcher fights usually meant standing in place and whacking effortlessly enemies with virutal /god mode on. now before each fight you should drink usual set of potions: swallow, tawny owl and latter willow, full moon, maribor's forest etc. there are potions in game which you don't ever noticed because they were completely unnecessary due to game's easy difficulty. now you'll rely on black blood potion during whole act 2 and probably 3 when fighting necrophages and vampires. fledder and graveir will be devastating opponent at first.act 1 is a real shock to new player. while barghest's stats are not impressive at all they can bleed you to death. you can die in 2v1 fight with barghests or easily win 4-5vs1 fight if using your talents well. each monster have it's weakness. immunities and resistances are changed, bestiary monster entries are updated with new info about them.most important factors for survival in the witcher flash mod:- mobility, stay in place and die- dexterity is the best talent tree in the game- plan your character build: dexterity first, then strength, damage talents - combat styles and bonuses, igni/aard/yrden- always drink swallow and tawny owl before battle and use appropriate oil against every enemy- igni should be first performed attack on enemy - first cast deals higher damage- even on strong opponents use fast style to inflict critical effect pain and remember to reapply it- pain and bleeding effects both decrease enemy accuracy by 100% (base enemy accuracy is >>100%) - it's huge debuff- yrden is most underestimated sign. i can't imagine finishing the game without it on level 2-3. it would be real a horror.- when more then 1 enemy can reach you immediately move and block other enemies with themself or terrain. being surrounded is lethalas for the ghoul. fight them 1v1 until you'll learn how to deal with multiple strong enemies. before obtaining igni clear the crypt with supercharged aard. you need place of power ritual of magic and aard focus stone. this way level 2 aard with upgrades will knock ghouls down.start with:-igni (if learned)-fast style -> pain-strong style until pain wears off (usually 1 sequence)-fast style -> pain-strong style ...remember that oils against monster races give +100% to damage. when you're low on health don't think twice about retreating. just keep the distance and regenerate with swallow. sometimes you won't be able to beat enemy traditionally. hit'n run strategies are good f.e. i beat ozzrel just with supercharged igni. damage over time from incineration is enough to win while you are just running around the pillars. melee with ozzrel is a suicide :).it's the same witcher game but more like a strategy now. plan, exploit weaknesses, hit'n run. but that's just a beggining. later when you'll face a ghoul it will be piece of cake. you'll see how fast they die in act 2oh and check my youtube movies from the game. roland and caileech fight shows fast, strong style switching and great mobility. fighing 2 kikimore warriors at a time on insane difficulty is an epic battle :).oh... what do you do in cRPG games when he you can't beat your enemy? level up and return when you are stronger. you don't need to finish each quest as soon as you get it. leave it for better times...

flashintheflesh said:
in vanilla witcher fights usually meant standing in place and whacking effortlessly enemies with virutal /god mode on.
wow....That definitely wasn't my experience playing the default game. Even on the medium difficulty, the game was well balanced providing a decent challenge to the player from time to time without frustrating you needlessly to the point of wanting to break your keyboard in half with your bare hands.
now before each fight you should drink usual set of potions: swallow, tawny owl and latter willow, full moon, maribor's forest etc. there are potions in game which you don't ever noticed because they were completely unnecessary due to game's easy difficulty.
I always relied on these potions in the vanilla game, and felt that they were always useful and often necessary.
oh... what do you do in cRPG games when he you can't beat your enemy? level up and return when you are stronger. you don't need to finish each quest as soon as you get it. leave it for better times...
Spending time leveling up for its own sake, ie; "grinding", this is one of the absolute WORST things about RPGs and always has been. There's nothing worse than fighting monster after monster for a purpose that's not related to the context of a quest or the story of the game itself, but merely to level up your toon. It drains the excitement and joy out of the gaming experience. In recent times, more modern games have stopped this issue by balancing the pace and xp so that as long as you go through the quests themselves, you should always be at a high enough level to take on the next challenge within the main story.Luckily your mod has the option of not using the difficulty tweaks, so unfortunately I have to give up and go with just the balance and bug fixes.I appreciate all your hard work on this mod, but the harder difficulty is just not for me. Some people have the skill to deal with it and some don't. I definitely don't. :(

that's why mod is modular. different players, different tastes. grinding is unnecessary on harder difficulty level, on insane it might be necessary.
Blacksun1942 said:
Blacksun1942 said:
in vanilla witcher fights usually meant standing in place and whacking effortlessly enemies with virutal /god mode on.
wow....That definitely wasn't my experience playing the default game. Even on the medium difficulty, the game was well balanced providing a decent challenge to the player from time to time without frustrating you needlessly to the point of wanting to break your keyboard in half with your bare hands.
have you ever ran away from opponent (not boss) in vanilla witcher? have you used more then 4 potions on regular basis? have you ever needed oils on swords? have you bothered with places of power? focus on igni meant burning everything to ashes, no need for drawing a sword. focus on sword meant unused gold talents because everything died anyway before you reached 5th attack in sequence. aard meant 1-hit kills, just stun/knockdown and finisher.my geralt was a one man army.

Definitely agree with you, Flash. When I first tried insanity mod I quit early in chapter 2. Everything was just too hard to kill. But a little voice in my head kept saying "You wimped out." So I went back, started over, took advice, and learned how to fight with a sword. In original hardest mode I was a walking flame thrower, hardly ever drew my sword. I didn't need to. A week ago, when I reinstalled the game I went back to original "hardest" mode, and it was ridiculous. The fight with 4 graviers in the "wine celler" took about 15 seconds and 4 Igni blasts. It was just way too easy. It takes a while to learn all the possible things you can do as a witcher, but it's worth the effort. When you see 2 graviers and a fleder suck your blood and drop dead from your "black blood" while you're laying helpless on the ground, it's just too cool. About "grinding", it depends on where you do it. If you grind in the sewer/crypt I guarantee you won't be bored. The graviers and lesser undead are never in the same place twice in a row, and they do their best to surround and kill you. Enormous amounts of XP there, but you have to work for it.

flashintheflesh said:
have you ever ran away from opponent (not boss) in vanilla witcher? have you used more then 4 potions on regular basis? have you ever needed oils on swords? have you bothered with places of power?
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.I found oils and places of power to be 100% mandatory IMO.
my geralt was a one man army.
Wish I could say the same.Look, I acknowledge that you guys are obviously better than me. My problem is I have NO choice but to play without your Harder options.As an example, right now I'm fighting the Hell Hound in Act I with your mod installed (just bugs and balance fixes, no difficulty).I have reloaded the scene about 20+ times over the course of the last day, and I have died within minutes every time.Diamond dust applied to sword, swallow, tawny owl, and blizzard. I am level 10.I die within roughly 2 minutes EVERY TIME.I use Aard for knockdowns on the baghests, I use fast and group, killing them easy, leaving just one alive (because I read that he will summon more unless you keep one alive).He still kills me within 2 minutes.This is WITHOUT your "Harder" difficulty checked.Now, what the heck am I doing wrong?
flashintheflesh said:
About "grinding", it depends on where you do it. If you grind in the sewer/crypt I guarantee you won't be bored. The graviers and lesser undead are never in the same place twice in a row, and they do their best to surround and kill you. Enormous amounts of XP there, but you have to work for it.
I disagree. Grinding sucks, period. I've played and loved RPGs for 20+ years, but WORST thing about many of them is grinding. I had to grind in the original Witcher when I first played it. Doesn't matter where you do it or what you're fighting, it always sucks.

with maxed aard on level 2 you can kill the beast in matter of seconds. used place of power before going to salamander hq shoudn't wear off after cave cutscene.anyway, i killed the beast using just group style on insane difficulty. just running around in circles and attacking once-twice then running away again before barghests could hit me. if hurt i kept running till swallow regenerated me. group style eventually finished the beast even though i haven't attacked it directly.

flashintheflesh said:
with maxed aard on level 2 you can kill the beast in matter of seconds. used place of power before going to salamander hq shoudn't wear off after cave cutscene.
That's what I thought too. In fact, I read in guides that Swallow, magic ritual, etc should be used before the cave cutscene...but guess what? I had ritual of magic, swallow, tawny owl, etc all before the cave scene; I ran from the place of magic directly to the salamandra hideout, and then used the potions just after the sex scene with Abigail.I clicked through the cutscene, and what do you know? ALL effects gone when the game resumes at the Hell Hound fight.
anyway, i killed the beast using just group style on insane difficulty. just running around in circles and attacking once-twice then running away again before barghests could hit me. if hurt i kept running till swallow regenerated me. group style eventually finished the beast even though i haven't attacked it directly.
Thanks for the advice, but the I was incapable of defeating him so I was forced to cheat to get through.As of right now:I reenabled all the settings of your mod, Full Harder. I'm in the sewers and had some difficulty with the Drowners but eventually figured it out.Now I'm at the c*ckatrice (edited for filter) and the situation is EXACTLY the same as the Hell Hound; I've reloaded the fight 20-30 times and I die within 1 minute.I watched your videos and they're of no help whatsoever to me.I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong so maybe you could give me a critique?I'm going to record what I'm doing in FRAPS and then upload it to Youtube and put a link here. You'll see me fight the c*ckatrice over and over and over and you'll see how I play. If you can tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong, I'd truly appreciate it. I want to know what I'm not understanding that everyone else seems to have no trouble with.

video reply added to your vidreply recorded on version 3.0 of the mod. it's old version but it's still the same insane level.ok, despite the problems with noticing details with youtube quality, here are issues i saw:-igni on level 1-there's place of power in sewers, use it if needed-i didn't saw pain inflicted. do you have bonuses to pain in sword style?-definitely use crinfrid oil. you can buy plenty of it from dwarf smith in act 1.-you don't need to run after every attack. run when low hp not when you are doing fine. you have to use full sequence of attacks. each next attack from the sequence is more powerful. attack as long as you need to inflict the pain. critical effect is crucial, it reduces enemy accuracy by 50%!-after beating skoffin to half hp try to aard him. of course only if you have it developed to 2nd level with upgrades. place of power will help. half hp=4x vulnerability to aard effects.on my vid:-why did i beat it so fast and easy?igni level 2 with upgrades, dexterity 2 +upgrades, strength 2 + upgrades, inteligence 2. when i inflicted pain enemy's defence and accuracy lowered by 50%. lowered defence means that i have reasonable chance to hit skoffin with strong style. strong style finished it quickly.that's just one way to deal with it. another is with aard 2 + upgrades + place of power. other with just fast style and crinfrid oil.also when you're low hp running away for few seconds won't help. you need to avoid the enemy enough time to regenerate. run far away if needed. some battles are long and need patience. check on youtube how long i fought with 3 caileeches, how hard is roland fight because of kikimores and house of the dead vampire fight. roland and kikimore fights are the best as an example. best player skill in there, even though i've made some mistakes.

Blacksun1942 said:
That's what I thought too. In fact, I read in guides that Swallow, magic ritual, etc should be used before the cave cutscene...but guess what? I had ritual of magic, swallow, tawny owl, etc all before the cave scene; I ran from the place of magic directly to the salamandra hideout, and then used the potions just after the sex scene with Abigail.I clicked through the cutscene, and what do you know? ALL effects gone when the game resumes at the Hell Hound fight.
That's a "classic" problem experienced by several others before you. Set events always occur at a certain point in time, the one outside the cave at midnight. This means that the clock turns to that point in time regardless of the time was when you left it. So, if you leave the cave at 00:30, the time moves forward almost a day! Make sure you leave the cave at 23:30, and all effects will still be on.

I noticed you ran to attack the "big bird" every time. You don't need to; it's going to come to you. Use your Igni attack at long distance; at level 2 you can throw an Igni fireball about 100 feet. You can then have a second ready to toss right in its face when it closes. It didn't look like you had an active swallow going in your videos. It might just be poor video quality, but you should definitely have a swallow and a tawny owl going for this fight. Finally keep an eye on YOUR adrenaline level when doing these fights. You have nothing to prove--all you're fighting is a bunch of electronically generated pixels on a monitor screen. High adrenaline, I've found, ruins more computer battles than any other factor. If you get stomped 4 or 5 times in quick succession, quit. Go drink a coke, talk to a friend on the phone. When you've calmed down try again. Another thing not too widely known--this fight is much easier if you don't let Siegfried tag along. He does no damage to the bird, interferes wih your attacks, and is generally useless. Get rid of him, and take the bird alone. Start at long range with an Igni blast; hit it with a few more as it attempts to close. As it does, you are back peddling. Use fast silver attacks and no more than 2 at a time; then back out quickly. When you have knocked off at least a third of its life circle start using Aard attacks on it. Eventually one of these will knock it down, at which point you do the coup d'grace. For the Hellhound you should come out of the cave with zero toxicity, because the game fast forwards in time. The swallow, tawny owl. etc. you took in the cave will have worn off by the time you meet super mutt. All that will be left will be a high toxicity level. Start the fight with no potions active. Take blizzard first, while backtracking, then tawny owl, then swallow. Ignore Abigail; if you try to protect her you'll die. As with Siegfried she does no damage to the Hellhound. Also DO NOT COME NEAR THE FIRE, any part of it. If you become affected by that fire, the fight's over. You might as well stop and reload right then. Killing barghests is also a waste of time, since they constantly regenerate. Put all your attacks on the Hellhound. Hope some of this was helpful--it's what worked for me.

DanConnors said:
For the Hellhound you should come out of the cave with zero toxicity, because the game fast forwards in time. The swallow, tawny owl. etc. you took in the cave will have worn off by the time you meet super mutt. All that will be left will be a high toxicity level. Start the fight with no potions active. Take blizzard first, while backtracking, then tawny owl, then swallow. Ignore Abigail; if you try to protect her you'll die. As with Siegfried she does no damage to the Hellhound. Also DO NOT COME NEAR THE FIRE, any part of it. If you become affected by that fire, the fight's over. You might as well stop and reload right then. Killing barghests is also a waste of time, since they constantly regenerate. Put all your attacks on the Hellhound.
See my previous entry :)

I've said this before, but, for me, exiting the cave with no potions or magic zone sign increases is the easiest way to do it. By the time you meet the mutt from hell you have a metorite blade sword that, with no oils applied (I do apply them anyway) does as much harm as a regular sword soaked in oil. I hate watching the clock; I'm lazy; and my approach just seems the easiest way to do in the dog.

flashintheflesh said:
-igni on level 1
Fair enough. At the time I invested in Aard because I felt it was more effective against Barghests which seem susceptible to knockdowns.
-i didn't saw pain inflicted. do you have bonuses to pain in sword style?
Yep I do. Why wasn't it inflicted? You tell me
-definitely use crinfrid oil. you can buy plenty of it from dwarf smith in act 1.
I'm not sure I can do that since all your items are taken away before I enter the sewer.
-you don't need to run after every attack. run when low hp not when you are doing fine. you have to use full sequence of attacks. each next attack from the sequence is more powerful. attack as long as you need to inflict the pain. critical effect is crucial, it reduces enemy accuracy by 50%!
I thought maybe you could see it in the video, but for some reason the next sequence in Fast style doesn't work; the skoffin dodges or parries or something and I can NEVER get past the first sequence. I have no idea why.
igni level 2 with upgrades, dexterity 2 +upgrades, strength 2 + upgrades, inteligence 2. when i inflicted pain enemy's defence and accuracy lowered by 50%. lowered defence means that i have reasonable chance to hit skoffin with strong style. strong style finished it quickly.
Well I do have dexterity and strength at 2+ upgrades, I didn't try strong style, guess I'll do that.

Top Bottom