[TW1] [mod] Full Combat Rebalance (FCR) version 1.6

+
Bug: "Oil preparation" description says it needs "herbalism", but I can take it without having "herbalism" talent.

What effect does "Sign Intensity +25%" have on Quen? Also, when standing still and not attacking, quen seems to make me invulnerable. But when I attack, it's damage reduction doesn't seem to work. It looks like in vanilla. Also I never see an assailant lose life. So this sign seems very very broken...

Am I the only one?

Some other suggestions in case anyone is reading this…

- The wine and grandma quests: they both put you in a little room with no way to retreat. I assume retreating cannot be allowed since it is hardcoded in the engine. But a hint as to what one will find in the cellar could be put into the quest-log. Currently it is like go, look… and probably: die.

- Monster info for veteran players has little purpose beside the quests completion. On the other hand, for new players it is very resourceful. I have the tendency to spend most of my money buying books, whereas a veteran would only buy the books that he needs to complete the quest. To make the books more interesting for both, one could make the player do more damage if he has information about a particular monster – like knowing where to critically strike the monster, etc.

I'm happy to see some activity here on this thread.

No one seems to have addressed my issue. Am I doing something wrong, and if so, what can I do to remedy it? As a refresher as to what my issue is, here's the following...

After a clean install of the Witcher and then the mod, I've encountered a situation that makes it impossible for me to advance. Keep in mind this bug appears as soon as combat is introduced to the player: I can't hit the armored human units at all. They either dodge every swing, and/or parry it.

Again, if there's a solution to defeating these armored opponents right at the very start of the game, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

Kail-the-Gray said:

No one seems to have addressed my issue. Am I doing something wrong, and if so, what can I do to remedy it? As a refresher as to what my issue is, here's the following...

Again, if there's a solution to defeating these armored opponents right at the very start of the game, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

Seems we are the only ones "active". This forum seems dead as can be...

I play on hard/witcher and had no problems killing the armored salamandra with fast style.

Make sure you have Witcher EEDC installed. I purchased mine copy from GOG. Then install FCR 1.6a. This should give you an extra map in the data folder (z_FCR), and under system\scripts player.luc is renamed to player.luc.bak and player.lua is added (but not compiled... is this normal??)

Anyhow, with z_FCR and player.lua, witcher should work "correctly" with the mod. If you ask me, there are some issues though, but not the one you describe.

Thank you davorj for your help!

Make sure you have Witcher EEDC installed. I purchased mine copy from GOG. Then install FCR 1.6a.

I did exactly that (my version of the game is through GOG as well). I'd like to check for the map files, but I already uninstalled the game. Had to make room for the latest beta test build of the Misery mod for Call of Pripyat.

I'll keep checking this thread though. If more develops, then I'll uninstall Half-Life 2 and the Black Mesa mod which will give me PLENTY of room for Witcher again. I reinstalled H-L2 for the Black Mesa mod. Black Mesa looks AWESOME, and feels authentic, BUT after a few hours of playing it, I was reminded of why I loathe rail-shooters.

I don't care anymore how breathtakingly awesome looking or "cinematic" a title is, the gameplay is all important to me, and rail-shooters are just...boring torture fests to me. No offense meant to anyone!

Before I go, do you think that I should try redownloading Witcher from GOG? How likely is it that a small download glitch might've spoiled the proper operations of this mod?

Thank you again for your kind assistance!

Kail-the-Gray said:
Before I go, do you think that I should try redownloading Witcher from GOG? How likely is it that a small download glitch might've spoiled the proper operations of this mod?[/B]

It is impossible. The package is verified during install... so it's close to impossible that it is corrupted.

Kail-the-Gray said:

Have you tried moving Geralt a few steps and then trying again? Geralt sometimes seems to get stuck in a state where he can't hit anything, but walking just a couple of paces gets him out of it.

Some notes:

• Bottles of water: there are apparently 2 types in the game as they don’t stack. But there is no in-game way to differentiate.
  • Some plants have 9 ingredients: bug?
  • 2 livers for slaying a wolf seems a bit unbalanced. They are way too easy to kill for 2. 1 seems better.
  • “Following the thread” quest is broken. If you speak with Jehro this will start the quest. After you finish it, and speak with Leuvaerden, the quest will be opened again, but the informant will already be dead. The quest stays there until the end of the game.
  • Journal on monsters has a double entry for archespore.
  • I one-shotted Dagon with the yrden sign: had magic powerup, yrden powerup and potion sign powerup. Strange...
  • Although Quen is bugged (i.e. invulnerability), the game seems hardly beatable without it… So why just not leave it as is…
  • Why the interdependence between dexterity and strength on lvl 5? That way you force to upgrade them both, limiting build variety…

PS Zuegl and Lilly seem very hard on hard/witcher. Saw no chance of killing them so I blew them up: 5 Dragon dreams did the trick... On the other hand, maxed Yrden is useful against Grand Master and Wild Hunt King. I practically only stood still, they both kill themselves on Yrden.

davorj said:
Bottles of water: there are apparently 2 types in the game as they don’t stack. But there is no in-game way to differentiate.
This is true in the vanilla game as well and is not caused by FCR.

Some plants have 9 ingredients: bug?
[*]2 livers for slaying a wolf seems a bit unbalanced. They are way too easy to kill for 2. 1 seems better.
There's a talent that causes Geralt to get more ingredients from both plants and corpses; if you've acquired that talent, then that's probably what's causing this. It's a feature, not a bug. ;)

Kail-the-Gray said:

No one seems to have addressed my issue. Am I doing something wrong, and if so, what can I do to remedy it? As a refresher as to what my issue is, here's the following... ›››

Have you tried moving Geralt a few steps and then trying again? Geralt sometimes seems to get stuck in a state where he can't hit anything, but walking just a couple of paces gets him out of it.

Yes, I tried everything that I was allowed to do. I'd run away, stride away, walk away, switch combat styles, whatever, and try to gain a tactical advantage from the map's structures, and nothing made a difference - once the armored Salamandra land a hit on me, that's it, I'm useless. They parry EVERY single one of my attacks, or dodge them. Meanwhile, I'm totally owned, whereby virtually every attack they make successfully wounds me.

It's very frustrating, to say the least.

I apologise if this has already been made clear, but do fan-made adventures (and the ones included in The Witcher EE) function with this mod?

Hello, thx for FCR. It is the best mod i have ever seen=)
Are u going to make something like this for TW2?

The FCR 1.6 manual has this section:

Code:
Strong - used mainly in fighting unarmoured opponents. It is useful for
fighting monsters where a lot of strength is needed to pierce their tough
skin and mounds of flesh.
Fast - used in fighting armoured opponents. When the body is protected by
steel, scales or chitin armour, strength does not matter anymore. The fast
style consists of quick, precise hits aimed at unprotected spots.

This makes me think the mod isn't properly thought out. Granted the vanilla game was weird compared to the documentation (you use Strong style against half naked thugs?), but this FCR explanation for when to use Strong vs. Fast is completely counter to how fighters fight historically. If this is a reasonable way of fighting, then knights would have been carrying rapiers and swashbucklers would have been carrying claymores. It is my understanding that historically, knights switched to two-handed weapons because they needed that extra power to penetrate increasingly heavy armor until widespread use of gunpowder rendered armor obsolete.

When you fight armored opponents (whether their armor is plate armor or thick hide), you need armor-piercing or concussion attacks--Meaning half-swording techniques, powerful crossbows, military picks, maces, flails, etc. That lets you score some sort of harmful effect past their armour. And you use a specialized weapon when the enemy is helpless and completely unable to defend, like a misericord through the eyeslit of a helmet.

When you fight relatively unarmored opponents, you use a light weapon and fast technique not because heavy weapons were obsolete but because it is more efficient to score a critical effect like a thrust to the heart or neck. That results in a faster kill or at least a fatal wound. This is why duelists and swashbucklers used rapiers and foils. It did NOT stop them from wearing armor to protect critical locations because armor still works. But armor couldn't reliably stop a gunshot so armor fell out of vogue.

What vanilla Witcher did with styles was not really about armored or unarmored, Strong or Fast (they are just crude names for the two styles). It was about the enemy combat style relative to you. When the enemy was very mobile, it is harder to hit them with your slower but more powerful swings of "Strong" style. If you could handle it (i.e., skilled because you developed your Attack rating), then you could still land hits and you could inflict heavy damage.
When the enemy had no finesse and just came at you (big thugs with axes that relied on brute force rather than technique), or wasn't very mobile (e.g., echinops), you could use Strong style more easily.
You used Fast style to counter mobile/agile opponents because you had to, but the trade-off was less damage. Why you couldn't use Fast style on stronger opponents... that is a mystery. Presumably they had more toughness to shrug off your lighter blows, but the whole Strong vs. Fast distinction collapses when you can somehow hit everyone when they gang up on you with a mysterious Group style that ignored the need to choose between Strong and Fast.
More probably it was a mechanics issue, done so that you had to spend Talents across the six styles. Which is not a great way to handle it, but the number of Talent points you get versus the gameplay experience you were supposed to have being Geralt of Rivia is a different discussion altogether.

If I were to overhaul fighting, I would make Group styles a modifier that increased the arc of your swings. Assign Pain (staggering effect), Knockdown, and armor-reduction to Strong Styles; assign Bleeding, Disarm, and Precise Hit to Fast styles. Fast Styles do less damage (and so are more affected by armor) but have more blows per unit time. Strong Styles have fewer blows but compensate with armor reduction. No severe penalty to hit for using the "wrong" style against an opponent.

Honestly it seems like that if you are going for a sword build against hard monsters and you play perfectly and have all the right oils and potions you still have a 20-40% chance of failure in most encounters. Which for some is great but I get frustrated, and I would have picked the "easy" difficulty pack if it had have been labeled the normal difficulty pack, as really the medium difficulty is STILL harder than the hardest difficulty in the original witcher. Great mod though I stopped playing original witcher in chapter 4 because i just walked forward and when any monster dared show its face i lolignied and 1 shot it.

Top Bottom