[TW1][mod] Full Combat Rebalance v1.3 RC

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished Witcher EE with FCR on hard. I'd give this **/*****Generally the idea of making combat faster / more deadly is good but the implementation is problematic. 1st, as I pointed out earlier, it's too hard in the beginning. when you have 10-ish levels, well considered stamina buffs and weapon skills kick in and geralt becomes a killing machine. In the end of the game it becomes questionable again, there are wild jumps in difficulty. You will easily chopchop a pair of greater brothers thanks to boosted weapon damage but you will really struggle against groups of undead. Simply put, the balance is off and fixing it would require pretty much tuning the entire game to consider boosted damages. I also had a LOT of aggravating instant/random deaths when someone gets lucky with their roll. Yes, boosting dex and parry skills reduces the number of hits but you're still going to get hit. With the kind of damage high-level monsters do vs the health you have you can go from golden to corpse in seconds. Breaking dragon dream bomb didn't exactly help on crowd control issues. I think the weapon damage should be toned down, more for bad guys than you. As it is, there's much more room for frustation than fun in "hard" even when you utilize alchemy to max. Alternatively crowds of monsters should be reduced and you should not run against really hard hitting undead like cemetaurs in packs of 3s when you can be killed easily by one. And, yeah, "normal" is too easy.

Hi guys. Good to have new opinions now that I'm polishing things for new version.Few comments:@Darklupine
I also can't get behind your logic of having Fast style better against big, tough enemies and Strong style better against small, fast enemies. Despite your reasons given, it still feels completely backward to me personally.
Style selection vs enemy type was articifially enforced in vanilla. I've introduced armor system with 2 armor types and made 2 styles dedicated for one armor type. Strong style now gives bonus damage and fast style has armor penetration. You prefer it the other way around? Wouldn't have much sense to me. If word 'fast' bothers you I can change every instance of "Fast Style" in game to "Precission Style" or something like this. It's cosmetic problem and a matter of design choice. I decided it almost 2 years ago, too late to change the basis of the mod upside down.
The game references constantly that this is what the styles are intended for, and not just in tutorial tips. Lambert says directly that the Strong style is designed for cutting through heavy armor, and that the Fast style is meant to keep your opponent from pressing their attack against you.
"Constantly" is an overstatement. Dialogue with Lambert is the only instance where game describes the styles as they were in vanilla. Can't change dialogue but I did change each and every tutorial, hint, journal entry etc. to reflect changes made in FCR.
I also think it's a bad idea to have the AoE talents under Fast and Strong. Their one and only conceivable purpose is to step on the toes of Group style, making it even less useful.
Group style role is not AoE damage, it's a defensive style and it's great in its role.
Finally, there are quite a few typos in the talent descriptions. Like Herbalism mentioning being able to use oils, and oils mentioning being able to use bombs etc.(...)There are the issues I mentioned with the oils/herbs/bombs etc, of course. Then there's the fact that many level 5 talents claim they require the 5th rank from a different tree. Some of the descriptions are clumsy, like simply saying "This is a very important talent!"
Herbalism talent unlocks Oil Preperation talent for you to buy and Oil unlocks Bombs. That's no typo, they are prerequisites. "Many" level 5 talents (2 exactly) are not claiming to require 5th rank from a different tree - they do require 5th rank from both strength and dexterity. Again, not a typo.Agree on clumsy "important talents". FCR was meant to be difficulty mod, a very hard one but I later found out that not only hardcore players play with it and they struggle to find optimal character development. Those were hints for more casual gamers. I've removed it for final version and added lower difficulty levels instead.
It's also incredibly strange that you have ranks requiring a point from a higher tier than they should. Bronze requiring Silver, Silver requiring Gold.
Don't know what you mean, sorry. If you meant icons then I'm aware of this problem. I'm doing this mod single-handedly and I'm not a graphic artist. Icons are not my cup of tea.
As for the talents, I don't like that you've slimmed down the trees, on top of homogenizing/simplifying many of the effects. It removes a lot of the depth, and takes the fun out of getting talents for me. You've also greatly weakened them, causing your choices to matter far less.
This is a very subjective matter. Like with your statement about AoE upgrades to Fast and Strong style making Group style useless - they are not useless, slimmed down or weakened. Actually it's quite the opposite because because I've merged many talents in one making them much more useful. I'd happily discuss the details but first you need to give me details. What's weakened, what's that missing depth?@Barleyman
1st, as I pointed out earlier, it's too hard in the beginning. when you have 10-ish levels, well considered stamina buffs and weapon skills kick in and geralt becomes a killing machine.
True, I've changed it for version 2.0. You get the same amount of HP per each Stamina rank making the game easier at the beggining and harder near the end.
You will easily chopchop a pair of greater brothers thanks to boosted weapon damage but you will really struggle against groups of undead.
As designed - monsters are the hardest enemies. Monsters are stronger than witcher, humans are weaker and mutants are about the same.
I also had a LOT of aggravating instant/random deaths when someone gets lucky with their roll.
Like I said before - FCR was meant to be a very hard difficulty mod. It is very hard on highest difficulty, even frustrating for some but it was meant to be hardcore. It's just a matter of adding 20HP more for Geralt for surviving that extra hit but I didn't have much place for customisation with only 3 difficulty levels (I used 6 for Flash Mod). I'll make 6 difficulties for FCR 2.0.

Is there any place on the internet I can learn what is proper character progression in the FCR mod? I want to play on the harder levels but there are so many possible choices that I have no idea what is viable and what is merely there to punish me.

Flash said:
Like I said before - FCR was meant to be a very hard difficulty mod. It is very hard on highest difficulty, even frustrating for some but it was meant to be hardcore. It's just a matter of adding 20HP more for Geralt for surviving that extra hit but I didn't have much place for customisation with only 3 difficulty levels (I used 6 for Flash Mod). I'll make 6 difficulties for FCR 2.0.
I was playing on the "middle" level, ie "Hard". It's just too hard vs groups of enemies but too easy against lone boss monsters. King of the wild hunt went down on 1st try but the groups of "bulk" undead, like wraiths or vampires you see in the end can take you down rel easy. I think on the middle difficulty we're not looking at "+20HP" need, you now max out at 130hp. I'd say if you boost that by 50%, let's round it up to 200hp, difficulty would become a lot more enjoyable. Maybe some bosses would need extra hp too. And maybe some groups of undead in the end would need to be toned down. Greater brothers are supposed to be the toughest enemies, like witchers only much bigger and stronger. They do go down real easy in FCR. Ditto for Al Javed. He's verrrrry tough 1st time with prof but when you go mano-a-mano in the end, he'll die in seconds.

I can't buy first-level bronze talents (strength/intelligence/whatever). They seem to require silver talent points (while description says 'requires bronze talent'). Is this a bug or..?

Edit: reinstalled the game and descriptions work normally now - turns out they DO require silver talents. Oddly enough, it was conflicting with a texture mod of all things.

I just downloaded FCR mod to my enhanced edition of The Witcher and after a couple minutes of fighting I crashed, tried it again and crashed again, any fixes for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom