[TW1][tool] Save game editor

+
Here's the thing about Win10x64....
1) Make sure you have Java installed
2) Make sure you have the javaw.exe file in the SysWOW64 folder (DON'T mistake it with the javaws.exe file!)
3) If said file is not in said folder, just copy it from the folder in point 1)
4) While copying the codes from this forum; make absolutely sure you have the correct paths for your file locations - double and triple check it!
5) Here's my code and it worked after several hours of trying (i was missing the javaw.exe in SysWOW64):
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw.exe -Xmx256m -DTW.language=3 -DTW.install.path="E:\Gry\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Witcher Enhanced Edition" -jar TWEditor.jar

Hope this helps and thanks to all who supported this!

It Works! Thank you so much. :)
(I was missing the javaw.exe file, too.)

I know I am extremely late to the party, but all the links to this editor are no longer available. Ah well.

No Title

ok since i have just starting playing this game ...

i am using trainer already because i don't like killing monsters over and over again and waste tons of hours over it for nothing .. iam here for the story ... the game have couple of story bugs like i cant get vernon roche in the camp ( main quest ) to activate ..

amyway here is my system Windows 10
java version is C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_171
game directory is " D:\Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt"
save editor directory " D:\Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\The Witcher Enhanced Edition"

i have copied both (javaw.exe and javaws.exe) in "C:\Windows\SysWOW64"

shortcut TARGET " C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw.exe -Xmx256m -DTW.language=3 -DTW.install.path="D:\Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\The Witcher Enhanced Edition" -jar TWEditor.jar "

when i execute it TWEditor.DBException: TLK header truncated

and many other java errors

-----------------------------------------------------------------

i have everything right ... i have tried everything even closing my anti virus still not working ....i don't know why ....

have anyone had this problem ?

Attachments

• photo209975.png
    photo209975.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,465
mena__99;n10915574 said:
game directory is " D:\Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt"
save editor directory " D:\Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\The Witcher Enhanced Edition"

Why are you trying to use a tool made for Witcher 1 with Witcher 3? I would wager that is the cause of the issue.

Witcher 3 has its own tools; check the W3 modding subforum.

ok, I know this thread is nearly dead, but I managed to break the Monoliths quest by using the sephirot too early, and I've tried everything from this thread (post-2014), even to the point of editing my registry. So far the best I can do is switch between error codes, my current one is "dialog_3.tlk does not exist".

It does, and I've tried reinstalling TWEE from a different source, moving it around, all kinds of things. The file exists in the folder that TWEE insists that it isn't in, and I've double and triple checked that my string is correct.

Shortcut target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath\javaw.exe" -DTW.install.path="C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher Enhanced Edition" -DTW.language=3 -jar TWEditor.jar

Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Data"

Yes, I'm playing the original Witcher Enhanced.

If anyone needs more information, I'll be happy to clarify.

I'm joining the party quite late but I ran into the "famous" Vizima Confidential bug. I've managed to run the editor just fine but when opening a save I get a: "TWEditor.DBException: Save does not contain save_000094.smm". The file itself is called "000094 - Temple Quarter-094.TheWitcherSave". It's the Enhanced Edition from GOG for Mac. I ran through half the Internet but only found two people with such complains and no solution. Does anyone have an idea on a workaround or at least the reason for this?

I'm joining the party quite late but I ran into the "famous" Vizima Confidential bug. I've managed to run the editor just fine but when opening a save I get a: "TWEditor.DBException: Save does not contain save_000094.smm". The file itself is called "000094 - Temple Quarter-094.TheWitcherSave". It's the Enhanced Edition from GOG for Mac. I ran through half the Internet but only found two people with such complains and no solution. Does anyone have an idea on a workaround or at least the reason for this?
I never used this but there are a fix for this problem on nexus. Look here around.

Thanks. I have this but it relies on the save game editor, which is unable to open my save files. I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to fix this or why this error happenes.

The cause is described in the mod description. I don't have any other idea but search a previous saved game and continue from there so, that you avoid this. :(

My question was generally why does the save game editor fail to open the save file. On another note is there any way to grab the source of the editor? I might be able to fix it and publish a new version

My question was generally why does the save game editor fail to open the save file. On another note is there any way to grab the source of the editor? I might be able to fix it and publish a new version
Does the editor fail to open all of your saves? The problem you`re having could come from a corrupted save if its only one or two saves. If nothing else upload your save somewhere and post a link to it and i`ll look at it. Alternatively you could try using Djinni to fix your save. But the only thing I don`t know is if Djinni works on Mac. Djinni is in TWEE>system folder.

Does the editor fail to open all of your saves? The problem you`re having could come from a corrupted save if its only one or two saves. If nothing else upload your save somewhere and post a link to it and i`ll look at it. Alternatively you could try using Djinni to fix your save. But the only thing I don`t know is if Djinni works on Mac. Djinni is in TWEE>system folder.

When was last time you used Djinni? Are you still able to use it? Mine stopped working.

It stopped working for me over a year ago, because it requires connecting to a page on CDPRed's website, but that page was deleted last year making any use of Djinni null and void. It simply does not load any more. I've been trying to find CDPRed's replacement page for it but there does not seem to be one.

One by one all the tools needed to build TW1 mods have vanished. Can't even edit texture files anymore as the last 3D editor that could open a .dds file was GIMP's 2014 version, which has also vanished from download ability online.

The Save File Editor, even though there is a dropbox link to download it from, uses a version of Java that hasn't been available since 2009, so no way to use the Save File Editor if you keep your Java up to date. If your Java is current, the save file editor simply will not load your save files, even uncorrupted.

If you have any links to any tools for editing and modding TW1, that are still usable and functioning, could you please direct me to them? I had them all on my old computer, but it died and no way to access them and when I downloaded everything on my new computer, it downloaded the newest versions with no ability to roll back to older versions. I've not been able to make any new mods for TW1 in over a year and I had so many ideas for more mods for it.

(If you wander in such circles to know of such things, I'm the person who does the Avallac'h and Kalkstein mods - I removed Geralt from the games and play as Avallac'h and Kalkstein; I still do the W3 mods, but had to stop doing the W1 mods due to lack of modding tools that still function and there's no way to get them off the old computer.)

I could likely make a mod to fix the Vizima bug, if I had the tools to edit the game back, once again.

If you (or anyone else) has access to any of the modding tools for TW1 could you please direct me to them? Thank you!

Last edited:
When was last time you used iDjinni? Are you still able to use it? Mine stopped working.

It stopped working for me over a year ago, because it requires connecting to a page on CDPRed's website, but that page was deleted last year making any use of Djinni null and void. It simply does not load any more. I've been trying to find CDPRed's replacement page for it but there does not seem to be one.

One by one all the tools needed to build TW1 mods have vanished. Can't even edit texture files anymore as the last 3D editor that could open a .dds file was GIMP's 2014 version, which has also vanished from download ability online.

The Save File Editor, even though there is a dropbox link to download it from, uses a version of Java that hasn't been available since 2009, so no way to use the Save File Editor if you keep your Java up to date. If your Java is current, the save file editor simply will not load your save files, even uncorrupted.

If you have any links to any tools for editing and modding TW1, that are still usable and functioning, could you please direct me to them? I had them all on my old computer, but it died and no way to access them and when I downloaded everything on my new computer, it downloaded the newest versions with no ability to roll back to older versions. I've not been able to make any new mods for TW1 in over a year and I had so many ideas for more mods for it.

(If you wander in such circles to know of such things, I'm the person who does the Avallac'h and Kalkstein mods - I removed Geralt from the games and play as Avallac'h and Kalkstein; I still do the W3 mods, but had to stop doing the W1 mods due to lack of modding tools that still function and there's no way to get them off the old computer.)

I could likely make a mod to fix the Vizima bug, if I had the tools to edit the game back, once again.

If you (or anyone else) has access to any of the modding tools for TW1 could you please direct me to them? Thank you!

D'jinni works for me even today. Newest Gimp works for me with a DDS plugin.

This is my mod, textures made with Gimp.

This is my video, made with d'jinni.

I can give you the DDS plugin link tomorrow. But google it, I found it the same way.

I`m no modder but when I was very active on the forums. I downloaded a lot of mods and adventures just in case they became obsolete. The only tools I have are bifrip and unbif which i`ll try to attach in this post. The save editor works for me even with the newest version of Java. Djinni also works for me.

@Corylea made a fix for the Vizima confidential bug some time ago. here`s the link for it. https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/306

The Witcher wiki used to have tutorials on how to use the djinni editor

Here`s the links to the tools I mentioned above.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1xucy1gx2c4pk9/bifrip005.rar?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bhrdmedg08ucut/UnBIF1.0.rar?dl=0

@EelKat
Link for DDS plugin for Gimp.

Around a year ago was a problem with, newest driver for AMD cards. The game didn't run with it. D'jinni didn't run to me back then. I don't know this problem still stands, because I switch to NVIDIA.

There is now an option to edit TW1 saves using Xoreos tools.

See: https://xoreos.org/blog/2018/11/26/not-thanksgiving-2018/

Nostritius wrote several new tools for xoreos-tools: a packer and unpacker for The Witcher save files

It's not a very straightforward process though and requires several steps. To quote the project lead of Xoreos:

The TheWitcherSave files are archives, so you can unpack and repack them with the untws/tws tools.

The files inside them are, mostly, GFF files. You can convert them to xml and back with our gff2xml and xml2gff tools. You'll need to see what's inside them yourself, though.

What you'll also find is ".sav" files, which are gzip compressed MODs/ERFs archives, one for in-game module you visited. You need to gunzip them, then you can unpack them with our unerf tool. Inside, you'll find a stripped-down version of what you'll find in the .mod files in the original game data, but the game modified to fit the changed game state (you'll probably find TURD (temporary user resource data) structures within the GFFs there, for example).

So yes, it can be used to edit existing save files, but it's still a lot of manual work.

@tommy5761

Hi i am having issues with the save mod.

I am getting the dialogue_3 error no matter what I do.

This is my target for the shortcut.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_201\bin\javaw.exe" -DTW.install.path="D:\Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher Enhanced Edition" -DTW.language=3 -Xmx256m -jar "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Witcher Enhanced Edition/TWEditor.jar"

I've looked endlessly for a solution here.

if its of note I also found 2 different javaw.exe's one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_201\bin and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath

After the error: Dialogue file dialog_3.tlk does not exist it prompts me to choose a language. In the box to select a language it is completely empty thus forcing me to press cancel which shows another error. https://i.imgur.com/wDx3Y57.png

the main reason I need this save editor is because I lost my silver sword early on and now I can't finish a quest because of it!

please help someone!

Top Bottom