[TW1][tool] Save game editor

+
Heya Ron..Good to see you here bud. Some excellent utilities you have made for The Witcher.Thank you for the save game editor, as usual it works like a charm!!Keep up the great work!!CheersVinnieMc

Hi all,Thank you for this useful tool. Do you plan to make a function to repack unpacked saves, because i have the following problem: the game crashed during a save, and now the save file appeared unpacked in the save folder. So i would like to repack it, and i hope it will be usable.Thank you.

can someone clue me in on this error when I go to open:java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Could not get shell folder ID listsun.awt.shell.win32ShellFolderManager2$ComInvoker.invoke(unknown Source)sun.awt.shell.win32ShellFolder2.getFileSystemPath(unknownSource)...javax.swing.JFileChooser.setup(Unknown Source)...TWEditor.MainWindow.openFile(MainWindow.java:283)...the list is larger than this, all stating "(unknownSource)" at the end of the line.

deegan417 said:
can someone clue me in on this error when I go to open:java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Could not get shell folder ID listsun.awt.shell.win32ShellFolderManager2$ComInvoker.invoke(unknown Source)sun.awt.shell.win32ShellFolder2.getFileSystemPath(unknownSource)...javax.swing.JFileChooser.setup(Unknown Source)...TWEditor.MainWindow.openFile(MainWindow.java:283)...the list is larger than this, all stating "(unknownSource)" at the end of the line.
Java can't find one of the shell extensions that you have installed on your system.

Ran into a tiny problem with your tool a while ago that I figure I should probably report:Items created using the TWE don't stack with items found in game.So creating white gull, toussaint red or ectoplasm won't be combinable except with another TWE created stack.Other than that, it was quite useful for when it waws needed and it would be great if you could also make it able to modify journal entries (not just quest entries)

Since editing stuff that is currently equipped seems impossible, even manually...couldn't there be a way to edit the inn storage? Weapons and armor can both be dumped in storage there. Does anyone know where that information is stored, even? Surely it's gotta be in the save files somewhere.I think I've found inn storage in the smm file which is named save_000(savenumber).smm under the item store string. So in theory you could add weapons to the inn storage the same way the program adds items to the witcher's inventory. But I don't know everything the save editor does to do that so I'm playing around in the dark.I tried editing two copies of the same save file with the editor and unpacking both to see how it added new inventory items only to find that the item list section was still the same in both which...confused the heck out of me. How does that work? Unless for some reason if you unpack a file right after editing and saving it it doesn't show the changes..I managed to duplicate a sword in storage by copying the string in the storage section, which is the second Struct under storelist in the above mentioned file...and it worked fine except for one problem, the new sword has no name on it and no description, nothing comes up when you hover your cursor over it. I discovered this was because tk102's GFF editor takes out the spaces between lines in the description fields, and this messes it up, apparently the witcher is picky about them. I fixed these by manually copying the formatting over from the original sword, and voila. By doing this I managed to insert a witcher's steel sword into inn storage. I presume your save editor uses formatting templates that copy over exactly to solve the above problem.Anyway! That might be a solution there, add a storage section to the inventory editor. Where did you find all your item templates for it? You can't have spent the game getting every single item and recording them all, unpacking your save files time and time again...

Had a strange error today.I recently got a new PC that was much better than my previous, so I resumed a play through I had saved in Chapter IV.I forgot to talk to Antoinette in the castle when i started Chapter V, so I wanted to initiate that quest using the editor.When I try to launch any saved game i get an out of memory error. My new machine is a quad core with 4 GB of memory, so I wouldn't think that is actually occurring.They vary slightly as to what they say, but below is one of them.java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spacejava.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding.safeTrim(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding.access$100(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding$StringDecoder.decode(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding.decode(Unknown Source)java.lang.String(Unknown Source)TWEditor.Database.decodeField(Database.java:604)TWEditor.Database.decodeStruct(Database.java:661)TWEditor.Database.decodeList(Database.java:696)TWEditor.Database.decodeField(Database.java:408)TWEditor.Database.decodeStruct(Database.java:661)TWEditor.Database.decodeList(Database.java:696)TWEditor.Database.decodeField(Database.java:408)TWEditor.Database.decodeStruct(Database.java:661)TWEditor.Database.load(Database.java:347)TWEditor.LoadFile.run(LoadFile.java:63)If i try to load the very fist save I made of this resumption of play, the game loads fine. Anything after that has a similar error.I initially had version 1.4 installed but downloaded and installed version 1.5.I checked with the java web site and they verified I have Version 6 Update 7.I'm running patch 1.3 and the initial save game was from a 1.2 version.I know there was a warning about incompatibility with the 1.3 patch and 1.2 saved games, but I haven't encountered any issues playing the game.Any suggestions? Other than ignoring Mud and Velvet.

Cryos737 said:
Anyway! That might be a solution there, add a storage section to the inventory editor. Where did you find all your item templates for it? You can't have spent the game getting every single item and recording them all, unpacking your save files time and time again...
Item templates are stored in *.uti files.I don't have The Witcher installed on my system at the moment. I'll probably get the enhanced version when it becomes available. If I do, I'll take a look at doing some enhancements to the editor.

OPT said:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spacejava.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding.safeTrim(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding.access$100(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding$StringDecoder.decode(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding.decode(Unknown Source)java.lang.String(Unknown Source)TWEditor.Database.decodeField(Database.java:604)TWEditor.Database.decodeStruct(Database.java:661)TWEditor.Database.decodeList(Database.java:696)TWEditor.Database.decodeField(Database.java:408)TWEditor.Database.decodeStruct(Database.java:661)TWEditor.Database.decodeList(Database.java:696)TWEditor.Database.decodeField(Database.java:408)TWEditor.Database.decodeStruct(Database.java:661)TWEditor.Database.load(Database.java:347)TWEditor.LoadFile.run(LoadFile.java:63)If i try to load the very fist save I made of this resumption of play, the game loads fine. Anything after that has a similar error.
How large is the Java heap? This is the -Xmx option on the command line used to start the editor. I haven't had any problems with a 256MB heap (-Xmx256m) but you might need a larger size on Vista (I have Windows XP).

ScripterRon said:
ScripterRon said:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spacejava.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding.safeTrim(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding.access$100(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding$StringDecoder.decode(Unknown Source)java.lang.StringCoding.decode(Unknown Source)java.lang.String(Unknown Source)TWEditor.Database.decodeField(Database.java:604)TWEditor.Database.decodeStruct(Database.java:661)TWEditor.Database.decodeList(Database.java:696)TWEditor.Database.decodeField(Database.java:408)TWEditor.Database.decodeStruct(Database.java:661)TWEditor.Database.decodeList(Database.java:696)TWEditor.Database.decodeField(Database.java:408)TWEditor.Database.decodeStruct(Database.java:661)TWEditor.Database.load(Database.java:347)TWEditor.LoadFile.run(LoadFile.java:63)If i try to load the very fist save I made of this resumption of play, the game loads fine. Anything after that has a similar error.
How large is the Java heap? This is the -Xmx option on the command line used to start the editor. I haven't had any problems with a 256MB heap (-Xmx256m) but you might need a larger size on Vista (I have Windows XP).
OK, I'm an idiot.I never fully read the readme and had made my own shortcut to the TWEditor.jar file without any command line information before the path statement.So I had no memory specified and I have no idea what the default is, but it clearly isn't enough for later in the game.I put in the 256 and it worked fine.Thanks for your help, and my apologies for not RTFM before posting.BTW, I'm running XP not Vista.

Great tool have been using it for the last few versions upto the latest (1.5) and last few versions of witcher upto 1.4 without issue.I come to install the enhanced edition of witcher (1.4) and run the 1.5 vers of the editor, and i get an error.All the inventory items and quest names are in German. I am running the UK Witcher on a UK OS of VIsta x64.ANy clues???Thanks

nicksc said:
Great tool have been using it for the last few versions upto the latest (1.5) and last few versions of witcher upto 1.4 without issue.I come to install the enhanced edition of witcher (1.4) and run the 1.5 vers of the editor, and i get an error.All the inventory items and quest names are in German. I am running the UK Witcher on a UK OS of VIsta x64.ANy clues???Thanks
I have the same problem with the US version.I noted in the help window it stated that it was using language 10.I poked around the Witcher folders to see if any of the ini files had anything that would give a clue on this and didn't note anything.

yep it is mis reading something, as in the registry my copy of witcher is using language no 3 so i dont know why TWeditor is mis reading. I cannot honestly say what the about dialog read when i was running witcher v1.3 and tweditor v1.4, but i do know all the items and quests were in english.I have figured (obvioulsy) that it is reading the .tlk files wrong, or indeed these have changed number since the enhanced edition update. dialog_3.tlk is the english whilst dialog_10.ylk is the german. TWeditor is reading that the installed language is german, I wonder whether these numbers were reverserd from previous versions. Indeed renaming the files might help fix TWeditor but might break the game. I have no java prgramming experience so can see it just needs a change to twediotr to reread the correct .tlk file.

I'll take a look at the problem if I'm ever able to successfully install the enhanced edition (having problems getting the language pack to install). It sounds like something changed between the original version and the enhanced version.

The EE install was successful on the second attempt. I still get the correct language (English in my case). However, I think I know what is wrong. The editor uses the first .tlk file that it finds in the game directory. If you installed multiple languages, this can cause the problem with the wrong language being used by the editor. I'll need to change the code to get the installed language from the Windows registry.As a temporary circumvention, you can rename the other .tlk files to a different extension (dialog_10.tlk.bak, for example). This should cause the editor to use the correct language.

Perfect, worked. Thanks, wasnt sure I could get away with renaming the files but the game still starts with the one dialog.tlk file active. Cheers

Thanks.I simply moved all the other tlk files to a backup directory and it seems to work fine in game and with the editor as well.

I uploaded a test version 1.6 to http://Ronald.Hoffman6.googlepages.com/home containing the fix for the language problem. I haven't had a chance yet to play through the enhanced edition, so I don't know what else might come up. Let me know if anything else doesn't work (there will probably be some inventory problems since they have redesigned inventory management).

Great, I'll try it out later and see if I can add some candles to the inn storage for the Reverend's quest. ;D I received no candles because of a bug. :wall:UPDATE: It does work! The candles have been successfully added to my quest inventory, and now they can be used on the shrines. Thanks, mate! ;)

Top Bottom