TW1EE issues on Mac

+
TW1EE issues on Mac

Hello,

Sorry about the english, i'm french...
I've just bought the witcher enhanced edition on steam for my Imac, at first i had a CD key problem that has been solved but now a new bigger problem appeared :
The game keep crashing extremely fast, sometime i can play for five minutes and sometime it just won't let me see the first in-game screen and it doesn't appeared to be a graphic setting problem cause the game, when i can see it is very fast with no graphical issues on low settings and on high settings and it crash as fast on low or high.
Apparently i'm far from being the only mac user to have this crash problem, is something is on the way to solve this ? do i have to do something or just wait for the game to work with a patch ?

Thanks a lot !

PS : i've attached the crash screen capture.

paulconstance said:
Hello,

Sorry about the english, i'm french...
I've just bought the witcher enhanced edition on steam for my Imac, at first i had a CD key problem that has been solved but now a new bigger problem appeared :
The game keep crashing extremely fast, sometime i can play for five minutes and sometime it just won't let me see the first in-game screen and it doesn't appeared to be a graphic setting problem cause the game, when i can see it is very fast with no graphical issues on low settings and on high settings and it crash as fast on low or high.
Apparently i'm far from being the only mac user to have this crash problem, is something is on the way to solve this ? do i have to do something or just wait for the game to work with a patch ?

Thanks a lot !

PS : i've attached the crash screen capture.

Which model of iMac do you have (and what GPU does it have)?

Also, what OS are you running, and have you updated drivers to the most recent?

As Guy said above, what model iMac is it, and what processor, GPU and RAM does it have? And what version of OS X are you running? (By the way, updating drivers on OS X isn't like Windows, I don't think I've even seen a drivers update for OS X before.)

You can find out what version of OS X you're running by going to: Apple logo > About This Mac, and you'll find the OS version there, as well as your processor specs. There's a 'more info' button that may give you some additional information about the GPU, etc.

steelbom said:
As Guy said above, what model iMac is it, and what processor, GPU and RAM does it have? And what version of OS X are you running? (By the way, updating drivers on OS X isn't like Windows, I don't think I've even seen a drivers update for OS X before.)

You can find out what version of OS X you're running by going to: Apple logo > About This Mac, and you'll find the OS version there, as well as your processor specs. There's a 'more info' button that may give you some additional information about the GPU, etc.

Usually, drivers are indeed included with OS X updates. Some unusual cases, such as if you're using CUDA or have one of the Mac special cards from EVGA, require updates from the GPU maker. But most people get the updates with the OS updates.

It's still important to make sure you're up to date. You should be on the most recent Snow Leopard [10.6.8] or Lion (10.7.3). If you are stranded on Leopard (10.5) or earlier, you must update; the game requires at least Snow Leopard.

GuyN said:
Usually, drivers are indeed included with OS X updates. Some unusual cases, such as if you're using CUDA or have one of the Mac special cards from EVGA, require updates from the GPU maker. But most people get the updates with the OS updates.

It's still important to make sure you're up to date. You should be on the most recent Snow Leopard [10.6.8] or Lion (10.7.3). If you are stranded on Leopard (10.5) or earlier, you must update; the game requires at least Snow Leopard.
Ehh, unless my memory is pulling an epic fail, I don't think I've ever seen one come through Software Update before.

paulconstance said:
MAC OS X v.10.6.8

2.93 Ghz Intel core i7
4 Go 1333 MHz DDR3

And i never install new drivers...

Graphics updates come in via the software updater; you may not notice them. If you're on 10.6.8, you should be up to date, and you're within the game's stated requirements. Others have had various troubles with the 2011 iMacs with AMD GPUs in other games. For this game, you have the distinction of being one of the early adopters, and you get the previously unknown problems first.

I have the base 2011 iMac running Lion -- i5 2400S 2.5GHz quad-core, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512M. It's running smoothly for me... have you considered upgrading to Lion? I'm not sure whether that will fix it or not though.

well why not...but i would prefer to have a patch unless you perhaps you don't have to reinstall everything on your computer ?

When you run the Lion installer it does an upgrade, so you keep all your files and applications. It's possible for a problem to occur though when upgrading (although many upgrade successfully without problem), so you must make sure you have a backup of your computer, or at least your important files.

It may not fix the problem though, and you may still require the patch. It's worth a try in my opinion though, if it's not too much hassle for you to do it.

Just make sure you've a backup, as I said, and make sure you're happy with the features of Lion. Not everyone likes Mission Control, for example, or some people still need support for PowerPC applications which won't run on Lion, so make sure you don't have any of those.

Cheers

Hi,
yesterday i bought The Witcher for Mac and when i started to play the game crashed with this error

So i have to restart the game and play until the Mac crash another time. It's impossible to play!

This is the Mac configuration

Intel Core i5 dual-core a 2,4GHz
Cache L3 3MB
4GB
HD Serial ATA 500GB; 5400 giri/min
SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) 8x
Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of SDRAM DDR3
Monitor LED 13,3" 1280x800 pixel

The game options are setting to low mode!
Please make something to resolve the problem
Thanks

I am having exactly the same problem. I bought the Witcher a while ago on Steam for PC (I dual boot with Bootcamp) and was excited to see it's available on Mac now, so I don't have to reboot to play. It's a very mysterious crash--I can't detect any pattern in when it chooses to crash. Sometimes I can play for 5 minutes before it crashes, and sometimes for a couple hours. There doesn't seem to be some obvious trigger to the crash, like combat starting or a cutscene or new area loading or anything like that. The game just sort of hitches, then freezes, then I get this error message and have to force quit. The only consistent thing is that it never crashes in the Prologue, at least not for me. Also, if I use the Steam option to "verify the integrity of the game catch," it always detects problems in six files and re-downloads them. I don't know if that's significant.

My machine a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4850 w/ 512 MB. I've been running the game on 1200 x 800 on medium settings--actually lower specs than I was running on the PC side. I have tried deleting all the local files and re-downloading and reinstalling, but it didn't make a difference. I have also tried restarting the game from the beginning a couple times, as I remember there being some save game file corruption issues a while back, but that also didn't work past the Prologue.

Some guidance or a solution would be much appreciated.

Any news on this problem? It seems that a lot of people (including me) have problems with the Wine wrapper crashing.

Have a look at the Steam forum, lots of problems: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2642457

You are not the only one: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28815-twee-keep-crashing-on-mac/

Nothing, just waiting for the patch or i will try to install Lion next month...
I'm not sure the Mac crash is the priority with the release of TW2 on xbox 360...

Top Bottom