[TW2] The Problem with Potion Names

+
[TW2] The Problem with Potion Names

Greetings,

If you spend most of your waking time rummaging about in game files, like I do, you might have come across this one already. See, aside from the occasional invisible tooltip frustrations, potions also suffer from another, far more annoying problem; the resource names and in-game names are mixed-up beyond belief. I don't know why or when things went wrong during the development of the game, but many of the in-game names used for potions simply do not match the resource names you would encounter while modding. Having struggled with this in silence for some time already, I figured the best thing to do would be to make another list! Below, I'll type up the in-game names for the potions, followed by what they are referred to as in the resource files. Even if you're not into modding, I think the results may both interest and amuse you.

• IN-GAME NAME / RESOURCE NAME
  • Cat / Cat
  • Gadwall / Swallow
  • Tawny Owl / Tawny Owl
  • Wolf / Blizzard
  • Rook / Kiss
  • Swallow / Marten
  • Golden Oriole / Maribor Forest
  • Tiara / Shrike
  • Stammelford's Philtre / Golden Oriole
  • Maribor Forest / Wolf
  • Lapwing / Wolverine
  • Virga / De Vries Extract
  • White Raffard's Decoction / White Raffard Decoction
  • Petri's Philtre / Petri Philter
  • Brock / Concretion
  • Thunderbolt / Thunderbolt
  • Mongoose / Shadow
So, as you can see, if you want to mod the Golden Oriole potion, for example, you'd think it would be referred to as Golden Oriole in the resource file, right? Wrong! If you want to modify the Golden Oriole potion, you must look under Maribor Forest to find it. If you were to modify the entry entitled Golden Oriole, you would, in fact, be modifying what shows up in-game as Stammeford's Philtre. But what of the actual Maribor Forest potion, then? Well, that one is listed under Wolf in the game files, of course! Ah, but what about the Wolf potion? That one's elementary: Blizzard! Ugh...

If you spot any errors or other falsehoods, please let me know; otherwise, please refer to the Witcher Wiki for details on the potions listed above. Those articles helped me immensely when trying to wrap my head around this mess.

Reminds me of working on TW1, where you have to know that Vesna is Rita, Dandelion is Jaskier, Gramps is Dziadek, Carmen is Hela, Jethro is Jozek, Angus is Kosa, Yaren Bolt is Loyza, The Professor is Magister, and the Midday Bride is Poludnica.

But even that is less confusing than what you're dealing with, since at least all those names are different!

Corylea said:
Reminds me of working on TW1, where you have to know that Vesna is Rita, Dandelion is Jaskier, Gramps is Dziadek, Carmen is Hela, Jethro is Jozek, Angus is Kosa, Yaren Bolt is Loyza, The Professor is Magister, and the Midday Bride is Poludnica.

But even that is less confusing than what you're dealing with, since at least all those names are different!
Haha! Yes, I can imagine having to know the original Polish names and terms is quite frustrating, as well - there's some of that in TW2, as well, but with the potions, they've simply mixed them all together.

Top Bottom