TW2/TW3/Redkit][tool] 3D models converter

+
Never mind! I read through the topic and find out :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

Why I can't export Geralt's hair (geralt__coif1_c1.w2mesh) form redkit? I tried with the 3D exporter from the witcher game menu but didn't work. In the extracted DZIP directory it doesn't exist. In asset browser I tried to Save As... but did nothing.

Last edited:
I ran into bug with collision mesh placement. For exmaple, on the first screenshot both - LOD0 and collision mesh are exactly the same object which has been exported from 3ds max 2018 as 2 different .obj files.
Also, when I insert my mesh in the world it always has this strange placement - at some distance from the "move" tool.

The first issue was solved by replacing the collision in 3ds max, but after import into the redkit my collision becomes completely replaced by something that looks like the default one!
1.png.jpg 2.png.jpg3.png.jpg

Last edited:
Hey BadGeralt
first I have to assume that you use JLouisB's exporter. Than I have to confirm that I never used the collision Mesh option in the exporter. I only tried it out once or twice. But if you want, you can achieve the import of a customized coll mesh with a different method. You need 3 meshes LOD0, LOD1 and the coll mesh. Import LOD0 and LOD1 into the exporter and export it as a .re file (eg. mesh.re). Now clear all LODs and load the coll mesh. Export it as .re file with a different name (eg. mesh_coll.re). It is important that the coll mesh has the same xyz sizes as the LOD0 and LOD1, not bigger, not smaller! If the coll mesh is not as big as the LODs it will placed a little bit away from the LODs and will not fit. Now you have to import the meshes. The trick is that you give both the same name. Import the mesh_coll.re and name it mesh.re, then you have to open the file and create the exact collision mesh -> save and close the file. Now you import the mesh.re file and than the old file gets actualized. You will now have a mesh with your custom coll mesh. If your coll mesh used no material (like noname), that was used by the coll mesh, you have to remove the information by going to raport and and look for Material x is not used Fix!. Click on Fix! Your unused material got removed. If you still can't walk on the mesh the faces of your mesh, they are directed into the false direction change this is in the 3ds max/blender etc. or go to Tools ( in the mesh file window) and to swap collision triangles. If you want to make changes related to the coll mesh you will have to do the same import process again. Don't use reimport for importing the mesh.re ( in the mesh file window, it will remove the collision data)!

Here is an tutorial related to your question(

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...collision-mesh)
, if it is not clear enough I can provide pictures.

MadSage would it be possible (for you) to import some animals into the REDKit? Will you import a rooster into the REDKit, if I ask you politely? I don't know how to do this properly it's to complicated/much work for me. Just asking, I am will be happy reading your answer even if it is a no.
:rly?:
Greetings Nemo

Last edited:
I was trying this trick before but ran into "unwalkable" floor with exact collision. This "swamp triangles" tool fixed it. Many thanks!

Just curious: am I the only one with this collision issue? Can someone confirm a successfull collision import (other than a simple box) directly via this tool as it was designed to?

Nemomallo;n10299232 said:
MadSage would it be possible (for you) to import some animals into the REDKit? Will you import a rooster into the REDKit, if I ask you politely? I don't know how to do this properly it's to complicated/much work for me. Just asking, I am will be happy reading your answer even if it is a no.

I never used Redkit, but i can try :)

hiuuz The files from the Redkit aren't supported
It's also some "w2mesh" files, but it's a different version of the file format so it's not supported by my tool

BadGeralt About you first issue : good question, you can send me your obj file I cant try to look at this
About your second issue : Yes, it's because you can't export a concave collision mesh with the tool : only a convex mesh
I have never found how the concave collision mesh export works with the official plugin, so I can't implement that in the tool

Nemomallo Thx for your help on the topic !
The "create exact collision mesh" tips seems to be a good idea if you have issues.

JLouisB;n10375112 said:
About you first issue : good question, you can send me your obj file I cant try to look at this
All objects which are imported as LOD0 have this displacement to the object's center (that obviously can be fixed by movement in 3ds max before export). But only LOD, collision mesh imports properly.
It's actually no big deal, since I now import collisions as LOD0 too.
house_obj.zip

Also, there is a bug with the export of some original models (their materials). For example, here is how "philipa_house_shell" looks after the export. Compare it with the original one.
ph_h_e.pngph_h_o.png.jpg

Attachments

• image_195142.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Ok thx, I look check that.

Yes, I know that there is some material issues : some materials are not assigned to the good mesh, I havn't fully understood how it's work in the files
However, you can fix this issue easily in a software like 3DS Max/Blender...

Hey,
JLouisB it's very nice that you have time answering questions again. I have a question related to the LODs I had always problems with the third LOD (LOD2). I tried it even with a cube (basic blender cube: LOD0 subdivided 2 times, LOD1 subdivided 1 time, LOD2 basic cube, coll mesh Basic cube) but it did not work properly, It was not visible(without the coll mesh). Also I had a problem using the coll mesh option ( it scaled up too 200 meters instead of two). That's the reason I always only used two LOD for the witcher 3 models until now. I don't understand why LOD2 becomes invisible. Is the cube coll mesh problem concave?

BadGeralt What do you mean with
BadGeralt;n10378452 said:
But only LOD, collision mesh imports properly.
The solution you mentioned
BadGeralt;n10378452 said:
(that obviously can be fixed by movement in 3ds max before export)
is correct, but I think it is a little bit easier to make the coll mesh xyz size equivalent to the mesh size. It takes time to adjust the placement of the mesh by moving it a little bit.

Greetings Nemo

I wanted to ask when i try to run the tool it just flashes a little in processes and closes itself.
Can anyone help me?
I am on win 10

Hello Korija2029 ,
I also use win 10 and I have never experienced this kind of problem, could you provide more information about your problem and how you've tried to solve it. Maybe this will help me and other persons to figure out where your problem is hidden.
Sorry for the late response.
Greetings Nemo

I have problem with no texture loading.

I've done all steps in tutorial, used the latest release of ModKit and Converter. Extracted full content folder. Set proper paths to everything.
Game version: the Witcher 3 GOTY, 1.31 (A)

I can't attach debug file, so i just copy it
LOG UI LEVEL : The Witcher 3D models converter 2.8
LOG UI LEVEL : Reading file 'H:/Workplace/Mods/TW3/characters/models/animals/crow/crow_body_01.w2ent'...
-> File : H:/Workplace/Mods/TW3/characters/models/animals/crow/crow_body_01.w2ent
-> Load Sekeleton is disabled
-> Load only best LOD is disabled

Start loading
File format version : 163
Read strings and files
dataTypeName=CEntityTemplate
W3_CEntityTemplate

-> File : tmpMemFile.w2ent_MEMORY

Start loading
Read strings and files
dataTypeName=CEntity
dataTypeName=CMeshComponent
W3_CMeshComponent

-> File : H:/Workplace/Mods/TW3/characters/models/animals/crow/model/t_01__crow.w2mesh

Start loading
Read strings and files
dataTypeName=CMesh
Find a mesh
dataTypeName=CMaterialInstance
Find a material
Read property...baseMat findbase material : engine\materials\graphs\pbr_det.w2mg
Not a W2MIDoneRead property...DoneRead property...IMaterial
property...OK
property...OK
property...OK
property...OK
property...OK
property...OK
property...Error : the file hbN8 can't be opened.
OK
property...Error : the file (`N8 can't be opened.
OK
property...OK
property...OK
IMaterial OK
Material loaded
Added to mat list
Find a material
Read property...baseMat findbase material : engine\materials\graphs\pbr_std.w2mg
Not a W2MIDoneRead property...IMaterial
property...Error : the file hbN8 can't be opened.
OK
property...Error : the file (`N8 can't be opened.
OK
property...OK
property...OK
IMaterial OK
Material loaded
Added to mat list
Load mesh...W3_CMesh
Mats
Chunks
Buffer infos
All properties readed, @=5197
Read buffer...OK
Read buffer...OK
W3_CMesh end
done
LOADING FINISHED
W3_CMeshComponent end
LOADING FINISHED
W3_CEntityTemplate end
dataTypeName=CEntity
dataTypeName=CMeshComponent
W3_CMeshComponent

-> File : H:/Workplace/Mods/TW3/characters/models/animals/crow/model/t_01__crow.w2mesh

Start loading
Read strings and files
dataTypeName=CMesh
Find a mesh
Find a material
Read property...baseMat findbase material : engine\materials\graphs\pbr_det.w2mg
Not a W2MIDoneRead property...DoneRead property...IMaterial
property...OK
property...OK
property...OK
property...OK
property...OK
property...OK
property...Error : the file иЃN8 can't be opened.
OK
property...Error : the file HyN8 can't be opened.
OK
property...OK
property...OK
IMaterial OK
Material loaded
Added to mat list
Find a material
Read property...baseMat findbase material : engine\materials\graphs\pbr_std.w2mg
Not a W2MIDoneRead property...IMaterial
property...Error : the file иЃN8 can't be opened.
OK
property...Error : the file HyN8 can't be opened.
OK
property...OK
property...OK
IMaterial OK
Material loaded
Added to mat list
Load mesh...W3_CMesh
Mats
Chunks
Buffer infos
All properties readed, @=5197
Read buffer...OK
Read buffer...OK
W3_CMesh end
done
LOADING FINISHED
W3_CMeshComponent end
LOADING FINISHED
LOG UI LEVEL : done
Close the log file

Hi,
I have just uploaded a new update :
- TW1 loader : Many improvements here, the previous version was just able to load a few simple meshes without textures, so now geometry, textures and skeletons (skinning not supported yet however) import work well.
- Redkit exporter : Fix LOD2, fix collision meshes and fix mesh positions (thx Nemomallo and BadGeralt for the bug reports on this, your issues should be fixed, but keep me informed if you have still the issues, I have tested with some simple repro cases)

kseon12 Strange, I have looked at this file and I have no problem with it.
But on my PC this file is at the file format version 162, and you're at the version 163, I don't know why.
If you can send me your version of this file I can check that.

JLouisB;n10716641 said:
But on my PC this file is at the file format version 162, and you're at the version 163, I don't know why.

How can i send u this file? I can't attach it here. If by email, i didn't found it (maybe i was inattentive)
I really badly need those objects with textures, so i really grateful for helping me

JLouisB;n10716641 said:

<edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

I have tried out the new version of the tool. I still have some problems with it. The tool does not work with only LOD 0,1,2 it must have a coll mesh also (otherwise it stopped working, no message, just the windows alert that the program is not working and no bug report). This is not a big deal with simple meshes, but if I want to use exact mesh collision it is problematic. In the process of importing a mesh it will chose a more simpler coll mesh. But I made the coll meshes by hand and they are as simple as they can be. So the problem is I can't import LOD 0,1,2 with the new tool (2.9) but also not with the old 2.7 version. Do you understand what I mean? For me it would be the best to just have a working 3 LOD version, because I know how to get the coll mesh into the game by the 2 stages of import trick.
But maybe I did something wrong.
Or must the coll mesh be seperated into different parts?
Did you try out more complex coll meshes? Something like an archway? You can send a pm if you want the problematic mesh I experienced the problem.

Thanks for your work !
Greetings,
Nemo

Last edited:
Hello

I have been trying to use the tool to export the skeleton and model for the Leshen.
It is odd as most of the time it crashes when trying to load the rig but once it managed to load the rig when "Load Skeleton" disabled and a few other times it loaded the rig but was smaller than the model.
Same for both Leshen and ancient Leshen.
Turned on the option for debug logging but no log seems to generate, however the windows event view has a consistent error of 1000.
Is there anything you can advise?

Update:
For some reason it has now imported the rig without crashing but it only did so after importing the model for the hym (him) first, then the Leshen rig then the Leshen model, looks like the Leshen model has scaled to fit the rig.
The scene is exportable but the exported file does not seem to have a skeleton, tried OBJ and DAE.

Cannot upload the files here so I have them on drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ST?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Nemomallo;n10824891 said:
Hey,

I have tried out the new version of the tool. I still have some problems with it. The tool does not work with only LOD 0,1,2 it must have a coll mesh also (otherwise it stopped working, no message, just the windows alert that the program is not working and no bug report). This is not a big deal with simple meshes, but if I want to use exact mesh collision it is problematic. In the process of importing a mesh it will chose a more simpler coll mesh. But I made the coll meshes by hand and they are as simple as they can be. So the problem is I can't import LOD 0,1,2 with the new tool (2.9) but also not with the old 2.7 version. Do you understand what I mean? For me it would be the best to just have a working 3 LOD version, because I know how to get the coll mesh into the game by the 2 stages of import trick.
But maybe I did something wrong.
Or must the coll mesh be seperated into different parts?
Did you try out more complex coll meshes? Something like an archway? You can send a pm if you want the problematic mesh I experienced the problem.

Thanks for your work !
Greetings,
Nemo

Nemomallo
Hi,
I don't understand your issue.
Please give some repro step and test files.

About the collision mesh, it's normal that it doesn't work for a mesh like an archway : it only support conves mesh, an archway is concave.
Concave collision mesh export also doesn't seem possible with the official plugin (I've never been able to do it), so I can't do anything on that

Adam_Williams69
Hi,
Thx I will check your files.
About the export of the rig : OBJ format doesn't support that, and the current Collada exporter neither.
Currently you can only do that with the B3D format, check the documentation
https://github.com/JLouis-B/RedTools/wiki/Export-The-Witcher-2-3D-models

I have to check a newer version of the Assimp library, maybe some progress have been made about that to support more formats for the rigged models in the next version.

Hello

JLouisB
I am sorry that I described my problem not clear enough. I have problems to import a mesh without a corresponding coll mesh. So I can't import meshes without adding a coll mesh. I can't just use LOD 0,1,2. I must have also an coll mesh. This is, as I wrote, no problem with simpler meshes. It is problematic with complex meshes. It is problematic, because the trick to import an complex coll mesh depends on the the .re files, wich contain the visual meshes LOD 0,1,2, not having any coll mesh information. Otherwise the collision which has been saved in the REDKit (with the trick) will be overridden and substituted with the simpler coll mesh.

The way to import complex collision is to import the coll mesh first and then use exact collision on it. Then you have to import the LOD's and give the file you import the exact same name as the coll mesh you've imported before. This process merges the exact coll mesh file with the LOD's file. See also https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...collision-mesh.

So as I wrote the problem is that 2.9 always stops to work, when I am only using the LOD's without an coll mesh.

The problem with 2.7 (Why? 2.7, because with this version the complex coll mesh trick works; I never downloaded 2.8, probably forgot to do it :D) is that I can't use LOD 2, but I want to use LOD 2 also sometimes.

The question about the separation is connected to the problem of the importer with concave collision. I saw the the mesh house02_bottom02, which has two different kind of coll mesh. So I thought, If I separate my coll meshes in several pieces, I could get also different kind of coll meshes in one file like at the

house02_bottom02 file.

Also thank you that you explained why it 'is not possible to get concave collision on something like an archway.

I sent you the links to test files per pm. If it's still not clear what I mean, I could make a small video.

Greetings Nemo

Last edited:
Top Bottom