TW2: What do these game features mean?

+
TW2: What do these game features mean?

I've tried figuring them out myself, but just when I think I know what they do, I find an exception that doesn't make sense. So I'll just list them:

1. What are the blue and green dots that appear on the minimap?
2. What is the difference between dialogue options that appear in yellow and those in white?

Blues dots are npcs who give you something or have special dialogue (they're like Easter eggs), while the green dots are quest related npcs. Regarding the dialogue options: the yellow lines proceed from the current menu, so always go to them after you've used the whites ones. Be advised that it's not necessary for you to use all the white lines, you should stick to the character you're playing regardless of the dialogue options offered. For example, my Geralt seldoms asks NPCs for information on political matters.

funny story

I got my friend who's an avid Skyrim fan to try TW2 and we get to the prologue where some soldier kills this woman with a crossbow. My friend totally ignored the woman and the quest and went after the green dot on the mini map.

What has Skyrim done!?

He liked TW2 though and I showed him Dark Souls though and now he's a fairly decent player and has seen the light and thinks casual games are now shallow.

guipit said:
I got my friend who's an avid Skyrim fan to try TW2 and we get to the prologue where some soldier kills this woman with a crossbow. My friend totally ignored the woman and the quest and went after the green dot on the mini map.

That's why some of us complain about modern "RPG's" so much. People just follow the arrow and complete quests, instead of actually thinking about what they're doing and what goes on in the game.

cmdrflashheart said:
Blues dots are npcs who give you something or have special dialogue (they're like Easter eggs), while the green dots are quest related npcs. Regarding the dialogue options: the yellow lines proceed from the current menu, so always go to them after you've used the whites ones. Be advised that it's not necessary for you to use all the white lines, you should stick to the character you're playing regardless of the dialogue options offered. For example, my Geralt seldoms asks NPCs for information on political matters.

Thanks. I figured the green dots were quest-related, but sometimes I see them and the NPCs don't actually say or do anything.

As for the dialogue, what do you mean "proceed from the current menu"? Do you mean it opens up new dialogue options? I've seen that happen, but I didn't notice if it was the result of a yellow line.

I guess what confused me about the dialogue was a recent quest I just did. Speaking to the NPC, there was a yellow line and two white lines. The yellow one didn't really advance the quest as I thought it would (as some of them do), and the white ones actually DID advance the quest (in two very drastically different ways) and they were mutually exclusive.

I've gotten into the habit of choosing the dialogue options that fit with my character first (as you suggest), just in case I can't go back and choose the others. And yet, sometimes I CAN go back and choose everything. I guess there's no way to know when you can and can't do this, though, because the yellow/white colors don't seem to have anything to do with it.

Volsung said:
That's why some of us complain about modern "RPG's" so much. People just follow the arrow and complete quests, instead of actually thinking about what they're doing and what goes on in the game.

That differentiates roleplayers from casual players. Roleplayers take the role seriously and try to act in character, instead of doing stuff mechanically, so I find this example quite precise. Witcher games appeal to roleplayers, while Skyrim appeals to casual players.

JohnJSal said:
Thanks. I figured the green dots were quest-related, but sometimes I see them and the NPCs don't actually say or do anything.

As for the dialogue, what do you mean "proceed from the current menu"? Do you mean it opens up new dialogue options? I've seen that happen, but I didn't notice if it was the result of a yellow line.

I guess what confused me about the dialogue was a recent quest I just did. Speaking to the NPC, there was a yellow line and two white lines. The yellow one didn't really advance the quest as I thought it would (as some of them do), and the white ones actually DID advance the quest (in two very drastically different ways) and they were mutually exclusive.

Some green npcs are relevant to a quest or quest point that you may not have yet reached, so that's why they don't respond. In Flotsam, for example, there's a guy who shows up green in Lobinden, but he doesn't do anything for you till you're almost done with the Bring it On quest.

Also, yes that's what I meant: yellow lines open new dialogue. I can't remember clearly, so I may be wrong. I also think yellow options were available only once, and disappeared once you used them, but the whites one did not.

cmdrflashheart said:
Also, yes that's what I meant: yellow lines open new dialogue. I can't remember clearly, so I may be wrong. I also think yellow options were available only once, and disappeared once you used them, but the whites one did not.

Just how you described it.

So OP, use white lines first - if you want to/need to. Yellow lines will either open up new dialogue options or be the final dialogue option, you can't choose them again(like the white ones that get only greyed out).

gregski said:
Just how you described it.

So OP, use white lines first - if you want to/need to. Yellow lines will either open up new dialogue options or be the final dialogue option, you can't choose them again(like the white ones that get only greyed out).

That's exactly what I thought, until I encountered that example I gave above. The yellow line actually didn't do much, and the white ones were the two options that were a "point of no return," so to speak. That's mainly what prompted me to ask this question. I was confused by how the colors worked in that particular quest.

Top Bottom