[TW2][WIP] For Temeria! [Updated 18/1/2014]

+
[TW2][WIP] For Temeria! [Updated 18/1/2014]

Current Version: v0.9a (alpha)
Download | README | Source Files

Description

This project began as a simple armor mod, but has grown in scope and size since I first began work on it. Currently, the mod adds a number of different armor sets, crafting recipes, and armor dyes (which, I’m afraid, only work on these custom items at present). It is still a work-in-progress, so what you see is not necessarily indicative of my vision for the final product.

I’ve uploaded this alpha version of the mod so you can check out some of the new features and items, and maybe get an idea of the kinds of customization options I’m trying to implement. For now, the armor sets are a kind of “Frankenstein’s Monster” compilation of different NPC armor appearances, some new retextures, and additional color/tint masks for certain items that did not originally contain any.

In its present state, I haven’t balanced anything, so please keep that in mind. All the sets have horrendously overpowered stats and can be crafted with minimal ingredients. Stat balancing is my next concern, so expect an update that will address these issues.

It is absolutely necessary that you view the README! The armor sets, items, and crafting recipes function altogether differently than they do in the “vanilla” game. If I were to go into detail about it all right here, it would take up an entire page, so I won’t do that. I’ll also see about capturing a video to show how some of the new features work.

Please feel free to ask questions, leave comments, or offer any constructive criticism you might have in this mod thread! I’m always happy to reply to feedback.

What to do about bugs

Currently, I only know of a few issues and these are outlined in the README. If you encounter anything I’m not aware of, please let me know (either here or via PM) and try to include a screenshot, because being able to see the bug is very helpful in tracking it down.

Installation

Note: I've used 7-Zip to archive these files, as the compression ratio is much better than with a standard .ZIP file. You can download the free version of 7-Zip here if you can't unzip the archive with your current software.

After downloading, unzip the archive into a new folder. Copy the folder included in the archive into your […]Documents/Witcher 2/UserContent/ directory. Run the launcher and enable the mod via the “Mod” menu. Play the game!

Here's a (very) brief video showing how the crafting and armor dyes function

Last edited:
Awesome!

It will be awkward seeing a knight with full plate armor being as fast as a Witcher :p/>/> But it will be awesome as hell.

Can you do Nilfgaard pack next, their armor is just too damn awesome :)/>/>

KingHochmeister said:
Awesome!

It will be awkward seeing a knight with full plate armor being as fast as a Witcher :p/>/>/> But it will be awesome as hell.

Can you do Nilfgaard pack next, their armor is just too damn awesome :)

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it.

I'm planning on scripting some variables to modify movement speed when wearing different types of armor. I didn't mention it in the OP because I don't know enough about the scripting system yet to tell if it's easily possible. From what I can see, it should be possible to change the movement speed multipliers when you equip plate armor, for instance. I'll let you know when I've made some progress.

I've already got some Nilfgaard stuff ported, but it needs to be arranged... need to make new icons and such. There are a lot more "pieces" for Nilfgaard armor, which should allow for more variations. It's on my list! I just feel kinda dirty playing as a Geralt decked out in Nilfgaard gear, lol.

Exilium said:
Thanks! I hope you enjoy it.

I'm planning on scripting some variables to modify movement speed when wearing different types of armor. I didn't mention it in the OP because I don't know enough about the scripting system yet to tell if it's easily possible. From what I can see, it should be possible to change the movement speed multipliers when you equip plate armor, for instance. I'll let you know when I've made some progress.

I've already got some Nilfgaard stuff ported, but it needs to be arranged... need to make new icons and such. There are a lot more "pieces" for Nilfgaard armor, which should allow for more variations. It's on my list! I just feel kinda dirty playing as a Geralt decked out in Nilfgaard gear, lol.

Awesome :)/>

Best of luck

About the armor sounds, I'm not really sure, but it should be defined in the NPC entity. Does Geralt have an entity like that in a standard way? Idk, but it might be worth checking out.

Yep, it's my suspicion too that the sound sets are stored in the entity templates.

Geralt has a main template, yes, but also each piece of equipment is uses an entity template. Iirc, the sound of his footfalls changes if you run around barefooted, versus wearing boots. This tells me that it should be possible to embed sound sets in the item templates themselves. Just a matter of time before I figure it out, most likely. You know how it goes: things are usually in the last place you think to look.

Thanks for the input! I do appreciate it. This is turning into a bigger project than I originally envisioned, so I hope you guys don't mind waiting a bit while I figure some of this stuff out. It's not as intuitive as one would hope...

Red0oG said:
that set is a bit expensive btw, one does not simply grind 10K orens :D

A few hours of playing dice should do it. That is, assuming you win every time...

I'll fix this in the next release. Prices are calculated automatically based on stats, as far as I can tell. Didn't really think about it until now, as I have "ways" of getting orens.

On a brighter note, I seem to have found where the sound sets are determined in the templates. I still need to figure out how to override Geralt's default sound set, but it's progress.

Red0oG said:
that set is a bit expensive btw, one does not simply grind 10K orens :D/>

Sounds fair to me. Plate was expensive, even the ready-to-wear business suits for men-at-arms, and tailored plate was fantastically expensive. In those days, four to six months' salary for a soldier, to several years' rents for a knight kitted out for command. In modern terms, the good stuff would cost as much as an Italian sports car or a nice house.

GuyN said:
Sounds fair to me. Plate was expensive, even the ready-to-wear business suits for men-at-arms, and tailored plate was fantastically expensive. In those days, four to six months' salary for a soldier, to several years' rents for a knight kitted out for command. In modern terms, the good stuff would cost as much as an Italian sports car or a nice house.
This is very true. I'm a fan of medieval weaponry and armor, so I know a little bit about the subject. Not only was it expensive, the skills and time involved in forging, fitting, and detailing a full set of custom plate meant that usually only masters or artisans were capable of creating such armor. Their time wasn't cheap.

10K seems too much from my gameplay experience, even for an economy as harsh as TW2's. Maybe it could be crafted? Just my take. Good luck with the mod, a lot of folks have wanted to put Geralt in plate armor, even if the devs are cringing at it right now. :p

slimgrin said:
10K seems too much from my gameplay experience, even for an economy as harsh as TW2's. Maybe it could be crafted? Just my take. Good luck with the mod, a lot of folks have wanted to put Geralt in plate armor, even if the devs are cringing at it right now. :p
10k is too much. I hadn't even thought about the price before, but adding crafting recipes was my original intention (and still is). This seems to be a pretty important issue, so I'll make it a priority fix.

I'll add "reasonably priced" crafting recipes instead of just dumping the items into the merchant's inventory. Ideally, this fix will be up within 12-24 hours. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention, everyone!

I know the devs are cringing, lol. That is, if they're even aware of this mod. It's not very canonical, which is why I'd like to add some parameters (or drawbacks) to wearing plate. Like, it has a high armor value and resistance to certain critical effects, but it's heavy and slows you down, and perhaps affects signs and vigor.

These are all on the list. Worry not, I intend a bushel of improvements!

Just thought I'd update you:

Yeah... the sound set will have to be scripted, ugh. Not my forte, but I can see how it's possible. In REDkit, there's a panel for movement material sounds with a check box to override the default material sounds, but this doesn't seem to work with item entities, unfortunately.

So, I'm putting the sounds on hold in favor of posting an update with crafting recipes. I've also made some texture and material modifications, which should make the plate set more "elite" and "Temerian" looking :p

I'll upload some screens shortly and I hope to have and update out relatively soon afterwards.

All right, sorry about inundating you with screen shots, but I hope you can get some idea of the texture and material changes. This is more what I had envisioned but didn't achieve the first time around. Thoughts?

Again, crafting recipes are up next. Shouldn't take too long. After that, I'll post the update.

*EDIT*
Screens moved to OP.

HighKing said:
Very nice. Tag.

Thanks! I'm happy you like the new look. I'm going for a more fine, oiled metal material, rather than the somewhat tarnished appearance of the original.

Anyway, sorry for the delay with the update. It's coming along and will be worth the wait, I promise.

New version up. Refer to OP for details and links.

Didn't get as much in this one as I'd planned, but my primary concern is to make it easier to obtain for users who want to play around with this unfinished version.

This will be the last "tiny" fix until I've gathered more content to flesh out the mod. Still feel free to share your thoughts, woes, bugs, and anything else!

OK, so I know the CDPR forums and sites are going down shortly and may not be back up on schedule. I have some updates planned and would like to upload them when they're ready. I think the mod is getting to a point where I might post it on an "official" mod site.

Been out of the game a while, so I'm not really sure myself, but besides the Nexus, REDkit, and ModDB sites, are there any other hubs for TW mods? I notice most of the stuff on The Witcher Nexus is for TW1. Any advice would be appreciated!

*EDIT*

Never mind... no longer applicable.

Last edited:
*NEWS*

Just thought I'd keep you posted on recent developments. I may be talking into a vacuum here (I don't know if anyone is interested enough to follow this mod), but I do have a few things to share. Pretty much every ounce of spare time I have has been going into this mod, so the lack of an update isn't out of laziness or disinterest on my part.

All right, some new things and features I've added that will be included in the next update:

• At least six new armor sets -- the breakdown is as follows:
    • Two Nilfgaardian variants
    • Two mage outfits
    • Two additional "knight" sets
  • A lot of new scripts to spruce things up. I've written a few hundred lines of new code so far, with more to come. The scripts accomplish some pretty cool things -- at least, I think they're cool :p
    • An entire armor set now equips from one inventory item (so you don't have to lug around the various pieces) and unequipst the same way.
    • Straps are automatically removed from your scabbards when you equip an armor set that doesn't support a belt and are replaced when you equip an armor that does have a belt.
    • Scabbard colors change based on the particular armor that Geralt is wearing.
    • I've also written a script that adds all of my crafting recipes from a single book/tome so those pesky pieces of parchment don't crowd your inventory.
  • Unfortunately, the changing of sound sets with armor types is proving more difficult than I'd hoped. Funny that the one aspect I thought would've been the easiest is shaping up to be such a challenge. Don't expect this in the next update.
  • I'm working on set of dyes that will allow you to change the color of your armor, scabbards, clothing, and maybe your hair color (I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with that last one:rolleyes:). There will most likely be some limited implementation of dyes in the upcoming version, with full support to follow in a subsequent release.

Phew, that was a lot of typing! I'm hoping to have the update out this week sometime. For now, here are a couple of screens of a Nilfgaardian armor variant. I was way too lazy to try and grab action shots this time, lol.

As always, I'm happy to hear your thoughts and suggestions, should you have any.

Last edited:
Top Bottom