• No

Votes: 61 7.0%
  • I wish this was a Sard poll

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • I don't get the "Sard poll" joke

Votes: 98 11.3%
  • I don't vote on polls

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • "I don't vote on polls". Genius, Reptile, just genius.

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Sometimes, we do things we regret. On a related note, how's it going today?

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Strangely enough I was just thinking this last night. It would be great to have that option. I'm not a fan of it on Geralt but on the animals it looks great.

A definite +1 from me.

yup, this would be great.... with hairworks off i got 60+ fps all the time, with geralt only i got 46-40, and when its on everything and im fighting wolves and roach visible, its about 40....

so it seems like the main fps killers is geralts hair, and the monsters hair doesnt affect it too much....

maybe its also possible to edit the xml files ourselves to get this? anyone smart enough to find it? il give you an internet cookie..

Is it true? I had to turn Hairworks off because it was crippling my FPS in half in cutscenes.

If it's just an issue with Geralt's hair, then I would welcome it for other creatures. Provided someone can confirm that the FPS drop occurs only with his hair.

@Yellowcardus,

you have completely missed the point... and you are wrong.

it is OBJECTIVELY true that making a large map with nothing you gain by exploring it, is a bad design... like FarCry 2.

limiting the player is not what im talking about again souls/Ninja Gaiden does far more of that and its not a problem. The problem is when you make a big map with no reason to explore any of it.

there is no reason to EVER attack ANY enemy that is not apart of the story THEY GIVE YOU NOTHING. its a pointless waste of time. OBJECTIVELY.

To asses somethings objectivity all you have to do is weight the gain vs the loss, the game itself punishes the player for attacking anything because it cost more than you gain... that is bad design

Also i cleared that area on my first attempt they are not hard, and even if they were that doesn't make doing it worth while.

nothing you said even comes remotely close to addressing the problem.

---------- Updated at 11:49 AM ----------

The monsters are not an obstacle, there a waste of time... just run past them do the mission and then go back and walk over them. There is literally no point in them... this is exactly why its a bad design, there is no incentive for ever attacking anything that isnt mission related.

In skyrim when you got tired of the mission you could go explore and grow stronger in the witcher, there's nothing else to do other than mission because nothing else is of any value.

Last edited:
I was one of the people who got lucky and got the game early. I finished it, put more hours into it already than I dare admit and I will stand by this design choice.

I can see what you are trying to say, I do not think i'm missing the point. Rather it looks to me like your point is valid but only as long as it's raised against most other open world games, but not Wild Hunt.

There is much to say on this topic, but i'm not sure it will make any sense to someone early in the game and i'm not about to spoil anything either. So for now I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.

Is it true? I had to turn Hairworks off because it was crippling my FPS in half in cutscenes.

If it's just an issue with Geralt's hair, then I would welcome it for other creatures. Provided someone can confirm that the FPS drop occurs only with his hair.

DOES NO ONE WANT Hairworks on Ciri/Yennifer/Triss?

Seriously , That would be awesome.

DOES NO ONE WANT Hairworks on Ciri/Yennifer/Triss?

Seriously , That would be awesome.

Meh. Lower priority.

Anyone else want an option to turn on hair works for people with fur coats? So we can get dat vgx level awesomeness?

It'll melt my computer but be good for short recorded clips.

The monsters are not an obstacle, there a waste of time... just run past them do the mission and then go back and walk over them. There is literally no point in them... this is exactly why its a bad design, there is no incentive for ever attacking anything that isnt mission related.

For me, the fights are more fun than running past the enemies ;) And in fact, there is some valuable loot (with humans not so much, but with monsters there's much)
I played a lot in the past two days and I didn't run into money problems.. often there is a way around buying stuff, most of it can be found or looted (even repairing tools)
And with alchemy (or monster loot) there's no need in buying food, you find plenty.

@Yellowcardus,

you have completely missed the point... and you are wrong.

it is OBJECTIVELY true that making a large map with nothing you gain by exploring it, is a bad design... like FarCry 2.

limiting the player is not what im talking about again souls/Ninja Gaiden does far more of that and its not a problem. The problem is when you make a big map with no reason to explore any of it.

there is no reason to EVER attack ANY enemy that is not apart of the story THEY GIVE YOU NOTHING. its a pointless waste of time. OBJECTIVELY.

i cleared that area on my first attempt they are not hard, and even if they were that doesn't make doing it worth while.

Seriously do you understand nothing about games or logic? nothing you said even comes remotely close to addressing the problem.

---------- Updated at 11:49 AM ----------

In skyrim when you got tired of the mission you could go explore and grow stronger in the witcher, there's nothing else to do other than mission because nothing else is of any value.

There are sidequests leading to xp and epic loot, so this is kinda of exploration. But besides doing it like Skyrim where you just have a monster with loot in W3 you get the monster, the loot and on top nice sidestorys with decisions ... Can't see the negative point in that !!!

Also there are so many monster nests, sunken treasure, hidden treasure, guarded treasure etc. etc. etc. ... I always found nice things, wheter being it some crafting materials or some nice loot or manuscripts for crafting such nice loot ...

Really, I don't want to sound offensive, but I just see no point in NOT exploring ... it gives you so much from my perspective.
Of course killing some wolves in the woods gives you nothing ... but maybe you did not search in the right places or sometimes things are really nice hidden ;)
(Today found some monsters in the wood, nothing special there, killed them. Then activated Witcher senses ... still nothing there. Then wanted to walk away, but tree-stump caught my opinion. Again senses on - still nothing. But I did go to the stump anyway and had to laugh, some nice gauntlets where hidden there ;) ... so, sometimes you just need to explore carefully )

Last edited:

There's an absurd amount of tessellation being used on Geralt's hair when it's closer to the screen/cut scenes, when HWs is enabled. Along with 8x hw multisampling on HWs hair, by default.

Plus, by default ubersampling is enabled for cut scenes, along with a frame limiter cap of 30. You can change them with ini tweaks. Check out the tweaks sticky thread in the tech support sub-forum.

I honestly thought the HWs on Geralt was bugged when I tried it, because it looked visually worse(imo) than the in-house solution for hair. Which performs much better.

Last edited:
I personally like this design choice. Prevents the player from overleveling and ensure that the game is challenging even later on.

They should've stick with Witcher 2 leveling, where both combat & quest granted decent XP.
I found that perfectly good.

And i also agree that the repair bills are too high for what we actually get rewarded.

I agree with @BurningNasferatu.
I enjoy the combat because its fun and challenging, but i get basically punished for doing it.

I hate that you get your ass handed to you if you go off the path of the story, I easily ran into 2 groups of deserters that were 10 levels higher than me, took one arrow and lost 90% of my health.

I prefer a system like Skyrim's where the environment 'levels up' with you. So it doesn't come down to levels but instead to skill. And sure, I can dance around a mob for 10 minutes without getting hit but there's no fun in that.

Agreed. I'm running the game without hairworks at the moment. Not a big fan of how it looks on Geralt, and the penalty to FPS is really significant. Without it I'm at 60 most of the time. But I love how it looks on animals.

@Yellowcardus

again you haven't addressed the point...

Objectively does it cost more to fight things than to avoid them? yes or no?

if it costs more, than the game is punishing you for fighting monsters in a game that is about fighting monsters... that's a bad game design. Which was true of both the beginning and end of the other wicther games... It was always more effective to run past every enemy you could because you got nothing for fighting them unless a mission was attached.

Reminds me of the angry joe review of harry potter, just running past everything was more efficient than playing the game, thats bad game design.

if it costs more, than the game is punishing you for fighting monsters in a game that is about fighting monsters... that's a bad game design. Which was true of both the beginning and end of the other wicther games... It was always more effective to run past every enemy you could because you got nothing for fighting them unless a mission was attached.

Reminds me of the angry joe review of harry potter, just running past everything was more efficient than playing the game, thats bad game design.

I do play on DM ( hardest difficulty), so I personally do need every tiny bit of exp. points. The world is large, you can kill a lot of monsters (regarding the 200hours lenght), if every monster would give you 200XP you would be OP in a blink.

I did repair twice to date, so can't say it's too expensive. Also I do have some repair kits, I did not use once ... And the things I find when exploring get the money easily back in. Of course in the beginning area the profit is quite small, but this changes after prologue are quite fast.

Also if you go into alchemy ... you need to kill a lot of the monsters, because they do drop specific things randomly

@Yellowcardus

Not every pack of monsters you come across costs more to fight to avoid. You are just trying to "win" a discussion by abusing the word "objectively". You are stating your opinion, an opinion on a game is always subjective because it is your opinion.

Yes the game is about fighting monsters, but a witcher's life is not about roaming and just killing every monster you see. The witcher's way is to get contracts to kill monsters, so that you can get paid for your objective.

Personally I think this system works pretty well, it makes you avoid grinding and having to kill every enemy you see. In other games I would often do every combat I encountered even if I wanted to go to a question location, simply because otherwise it would feel like a waste. Now I don't have to deal with that anymore, I can pick my own battles without too much of a penalty. I'll only lose a bit of XP and a chance at some good loot.

I somewhat agree with the fact that monsters give too little xp. It would be fun to be a bit more rewarded in that way and have more of a reason to find random encounters but then again it prevents quick and out of control over-leveling. It's done for a purpose.

However, I'm not finding repairs a problem at all. I've gone through the whole of White Orchard and cleared all POI's and only had to repair chest and gloves. Everything else was replaced with upgrades before it needed repair, either through stuff I've found or had crafted.

As for actually making money, I've found that looting absolutely everything and then selling it all means you get a small but steady increase in funds.

EDIT: Don't forget there are items that give you more xp. Saddle, swords etc Haven't checked if it stacks though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom