• No

Votes: 61 7.0%
  • I wish this was a Sard poll

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • I don't get the "Sard poll" joke

Votes: 98 11.3%
  • I don't vote on polls

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • "I don't vote on polls". Genius, Reptile, just genius.

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Sometimes, we do things we regret. On a related note, how's it going today?

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
The combat in this game is pretty mediocre across the board. Are we going to see some changes, balance, improvements.?

Biggest problems for me are.

1. Animations are lacking and lock you in to random positions and are not responsive.
2. Why must I have to hit 3 buttons to use magic?
3. Why can't I use my oils during combat? Am I supposed to predict what type of enemy I encounter?
4. Tighten up the lock on feature and scrolling of lock on.
5. Remove automatic lock on to enemies animation.
6. Make dodge more fluid and bigger movement. Are we not Witchers?
7. Why does Geralt move like he is auditioning for Dance competition after he tells Ciri to not showboat in first Cutscene. needs adjusted.

If not for the Combat I would say Witcher 3 is perfect. But after playing Bloodborne and its masterclass combat system the Hunters are more of Witchers then the Witcher himself. Please tighten this up. Thank you

1. No they arent.
2. You dont. I press R2 on my DS3 or Q ony my KB and Geralt uses the Signs.
3. Yes, because oils are for bosses that you have usually time to prepare. Also who needs oils? Didnt you just compared it to BB? Git gud. I only used potions in combat, no oils or decoctions on Hard and could've done it without potions if i really want to.
4. Lock-on feature has no problems.
5. No, lets not go back to W2.
6. Dodge is perfect, you have roll and sidestep.
7. He isnt, but i guess you dont know how witchers fight. Congrats.

8. BB comparison.
Please man, neither Souls or BB has fun combat. They are restrictive and dumb.
It MAY be challenging, but not fun for sure. Unless you like playing with someone with the stamina of a very obese man who can only swing a sword 3 times.
Plus, shouldnt you just stick to easy in witcher 3? Even then you wont get HP regen after killing an enemy like in BB.

You want BB? Play that game.
After playing W3 and its good combat system BB and Souls games so slow and clunky, its just feel shit that you cant even really fight multiple enemies that well.
Damn, shouldnt the devs even take out the story itself so it resembles Souls games more?
Add a combat that is based on i-frames? Which basically requires 0 skill because you can dodge all attacks in the game just by rolling in any direction. No thanks.

Now get out.

Last edited:
@topeira: "People" probably understand far more than you think *g*
Only because it's >hard< (by no means impossible) it doesn't mean you shouldn't try to at least improve the balancing as they already did in the day-one patch btw.

As I've said before I'm loving this Game and a Balancing Patch would only be the icing on the cake. Not really vital. :3

@whitelion1284: "Personally, I love the way it is." <- Same here.
The thing is people always have unreal expectations and compare a Game like The Witcher with a totally different Game of the same Genre like Skyrim or DA: Inquisition.
Imho this Game feels Complete showing me that they used the release date-delays to the utmost.
And bitching about 2-3 Bugs the way some ppl of this and other boards do is just childish and uncomprehending regarding a Game of this huge scale - same goes for the balancing.

The two things I mentioned (font size and xp balancing) are just my opinion and I will enjoy it with or without further changes.
The good part about the Witcher is that I'm not exactly doing the Side-Quests because of the XP-income but for experiencing the lovely and exciting Storys.

Well, it's Sunday and my PS4 is calling for me....gotta do some Witcher-work and treasure hunts :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
Look, the entire concept of level scaling runs counter to what the devs were trying to create. Personally, I love the way it is. I despise level scaling. There should be areas of the world that are too difficult to take on at first. Some quests should be too difficult, and when one becomes a master some should be trivial. Would you prefer Oblivion style level scaling where none of your achievements matter? Where the challenge is static and you are always playing the same game?

Did you not bother to read through the thread at all? No one who supports this is saying that anything should be scaled down. I've yet to encounter anyone who supports upscaling who supports downscaling as well, to be honest. Everyone pretty much unanimously agrees that downscaling is a stupid idea.

The idea here is NOT to bring down high level quests to your level. High level content WILL REMAIN high level content. It's ONLY low level quests that would be brought up to your level if this were to be implemented, meaning you won't one-hit this or that Forktail you've a contract on just because you're ten levels above it - but the forktail that is ten levels above will still one-hit you.

- Level 1 wild dogs will remain level 1.
- Level 7 bandits will remain level 7.
- Level 48 archgriffin will remain level 48.
- ONLY quests and ONLY mobs in quests are scaled up to your level so that you don't go through Velen or Skellige quests without any challenge whatsoever.
- Quests that are a higher level than yours WILL NOT be scaled down, so they're still much harder than normal.

Okay?

Has combat been better now on mouse and keyboard? Cause it was so bad when I started this game when it came out and had to use controller ever since. It suck even more when you can just press 1 - 5 key and cast spell but you also have to press Q in additon. Make no sense, feel like the devs didn't care enough and just copy and paste as a console port.

I don't see any issues with mouse and KB that would necessitate use of a controller. All you do to cast a sign is scroll with the mouse wheel and hit Q. Numbers are just another option to directly select one, but not needed at all. If you simply prefer a controller, that's fine but there is no glaring issue in need of a fix for mouse + KB.

In case you are unaware, the ability to rebind your keys was added like 3 or 4 days after release.

Honestly, I feel really bad for those playing on the controller since they have constantly manually select which Sign they want to use in battle. Also, inventory navigation is so much easier with a mouse.

Combats are awesome in this game. It's good to have exacting fights in an open-world RPG.

The AI is merciless and always try to surround the player.
The only problem I saw (on, PC version) is some bugs, with ennemies who stay motionless a long time.

Nothing wrong with the combat... I'm actually enjoying it (I only hit 1 key to cast, KB and macro mouse for the win). Controls are very responsive, zero input lag.
I finished the game with KB+M and there is very noticeable input lag (Vsync off of course) in this game.

The camera and Geralt's way of automatically locking on enemies is pretty problematic too as this causes the direction of controls change mid fight in some cases (Geralt decides to switch targets to something on his other side or behind him). I wish there was an option to lock the camera to over the shoulder view and that Geralt didn't do so many leaps while striking with the sword.

Some armorers and blacksmiths aren't showing up on the world map for me even after I've repeatedly interacted with them. I think it may just be the ones in Oxenfurt and Novigrad, but I'm not 100% sure. This badly needs a patch, it's really annoying having to run around Novigrad like a headless chicken hoping I can remember where the damn blacksmith was everytime I want to get something crafted...

:p Geralt doesnt feel like fast enough to be a Witcher?

Try to use dodge and roll offensively, circle behind enemies and/or close in on them fast. Chase retreating foes down. Dont block, riposte. attacks that you cant riposte, side step or circle them.

But that is just my Witcher School of Cat Geralt... I like to dance circle around my enemies.

Oh yeah as for Geralt telling Ciri not to dance is because Ciri can teleport through enemies. She is close to invincible :p

7. Why does Geralt move like he is auditioning for Dance competition after he tells Ciri to not showboat in first Cutscene. needs adjusted.

If not for the Combat I would say Witcher 3 is perfect. But after playing Bloodborne and its masterclass combat system the Hunters are more of Witchers then the Witcher himself. Please tighten this up. Thank you

First. Combat system in the Witcher is more complex than in Bloodborne. And the combat system in Bloodborne cannot work in The Witcher because of the enemy encounter design.
Second, Geralt moves like he is dancing because this is how the fucking Witcher fights. It's really so difficult to understand?

I've played every Souls except 2.

Like them very much but lets not act like they are super hard and skill based. Souls games have always been more a war of attrition than skill.

die die die Farm farm farm lvl lvl lvl repeat repeat repeat.

I love the souls serious but some of the fan base are nut jobs.

I think DM on W3 is on the whole more difficult than any souls game I've played and I find the combat very flexible and engaging.

Nothing better than fighting 3 bandits and an archer only to Aard 1 on his ass, chop off anothers head then side step an arrow only for it to kill the last guy.

The only issue I have with the W3 combat so far is the frame rate drops. once that's patched I'll be golden.

Sorry, but this is not that kind of RPG, this is not a sandbox, this is a story based RPG with a pre-build character, you are not roleplaying as you, you are roleplaying as Geralt, and owning a house would not be lore friendly.

Geralt is a wanderer, he hardly stays longer than a few days at any place, there is no reason why he would buy properties, also he "lives day by day", buying a house would cost tons of money, he does not have that much....

I would not mind however, if they added some storage chest at Dandelion's Cabaret or at Kaer Morhen, to please the people asking for it... They could go as far as giving Geralt his own personal bedroom at both places, where you could hang trophies, personalize the decoration a little bit, etc... But a whole house? No

What they need to patch/ add is a hell of alot better performance that are actually stable and not dropping from 30 to 20 fps.

But it can be turned into one pretty easily. And i'm pretty sure it's gonna happen. Just waiting for some modding support. :p

The gameworld offer so many possibilities...
This game is going to be epic.

I am against scaling, yet the game is quite unbalanced in many areas, where 10 lvl bandits are placed right next to 25 lvl and 20 lvl monsters.

And some scaling already is there. Some math will reveal that monsters with much higher level then yours get multiplied health in combat, i.e. when I tried to kill golem lvl 30, being lvl 20, its healthbar was barely scratched after I dealt about 10k damage, But when I returned being lvl 30, it died with much less damage done. When you find new treasures, game scales found armour to your level.

They could improve some menus, especially things related to alchemy. Searching your inventory for a potion, oil or decoction is annoying. For example, they could add two more fields to the ring-menu (where you choose sign and items). One on the left for applying oil to steel sword and one on the right for applying oil to silver sword and when you choose it, you simply get another ring menu with the specific oils (beast and human for steel and all the other stuff for silver). In addition, I would change the sorting of the inventory to: oils > potions > decoctions > bombs rather than: oils > scrolls > bombs > decoctions > potions.
When crafting alchemy, you should have the option to hide every item you already have in your inventory.
Also, when clicking on an empty potion-slot in the inventory (same for bombs), it should jump you to the potions right away, instead of just setting you to the top of your inventory.
You might also consider an option to lock an oil to a blade, so that it is refreshed after every fight until you lock another oil to it. Especially with the first oils (20 hits), clearing an dungeon of necrophages (or other types) gets uncomfortable.
Apart from some clunky menues, i am absolutely in love with this game. Brilliant job CD Project and the fact that you are still improving the game makes it even more awesome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom