• No

Votes: 61 7.0%
  • I wish this was a Sard poll

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • I don't get the "Sard poll" joke

Votes: 98 11.3%
  • I don't vote on polls

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • "I don't vote on polls". Genius, Reptile, just genius.

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Sometimes, we do things we regret. On a related note, how's it going today?

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
I woudl love some simple jacket and less elaborate armors.
The number of in game armors is very few...and just the feline base armor and the Temerian armor really fit what Geralt would wear.

Did you not bother to read through the thread at all? No one who supports this is saying that anything should be scaled down. I've yet to encounter anyone who supports upscaling who supports downscaling as well, to be honest. Everyone pretty much unanimously agrees that downscaling is a stupid idea.

The idea here is NOT to bring down high level quests to your level. High level content WILL REMAIN high level content. It's ONLY low level quests that would be brought up to your level if this were to be implemented, meaning you won't one-hit this or that Forktail you've a contract on just because you're ten levels above it - but the forktail that is ten levels above will still one-hit you.

- Level 1 wild dogs will remain level 1.
- Level 7 bandits will remain level 7.
- Level 48 archgriffin will remain level 48.
- ONLY quests and ONLY mobs in quests are scaled up to your level so that you don't go through Velen or Skellige quests without any challenge whatsoever.
- Quests that are a higher level than yours WILL NOT be scaled down, so they're still much harder than normal.

Okay?

Sadly the way the game is right now, you pretty much have Bandits ranging from levels 1 to 20+, which is indescribably stupid, same for a lot of monsters, though I already went indepth with this exact same point.
I will say that the whole concept of "levels" and "health" as it is applied currently in the game, doesn't fit at all. This isn't Skyrim, their world difficulty heatmap is all screwed up and sadly they aren't as experienced at making games yet to fully grasp how to design things such as weapons in an open world game. For a good example that many a familiar with, look at Fallout New Vegas and the way it handles weapons and itemization in relation to enemy toughness.

I'm starting to want to make that heatmap again, would certainly save me the trouble of typing stuff up while trying to explain relatively simple game design concepts.

---------- Updated at 04:17 PM ----------

I'm all for scaling Witcher Contracts or any mission that would have you fight a really unique 1 off monster. Other than that I'm good the way it is.

I do seriously hope you're not suggesting that you're ok with the idea of a single monster type having a level variance that ranges from level 1 to the high teens, right?

1: Quen used to only prevent damage so it forced you to pay attention in order to not get hit twice but now it also replenishes HP which is a bit to much I think.
2: The final opponent in high stakes has a monster deck. He has already lost the first round and therefore coulnd't affort to lose another one. His leaderpower was to put a card from the graveyeard (don't know the proper name) into his hand. He was behind on point and had no card left but his leader power. So a real player would ALWAYS use this power but the AI just passed and took the defeat. It was so obvious...
Also I had opponent who used this kind of griffin card (I don't know the name but it has the scorch effect only for enemy melee units and only if they have more than 10 point) when I only had 4 point in my melee row and he had other options to choose from. Another obvious mistake.
And the whole spy-decoy-medic tactic is just overpowered and very easy to understand with very little "real" tactic involved. As it is so OP I consider the nothern realm deck to be the best because it has 2 medics and 3 spys.
As for point 5: I just did a quest to kill a griffin for the quartermaster in crows perch and he gave me 25 coin and the griffin was lv 26 so not your everyday lowlevel mission. I just feel like the amount of money you get I random and not related to the client.
6: it happens a bit to early in this game though.

Shitty quest design is not, the shitty writing certainly is. .
No, it isn't.
And just to prove the point: "Vampire: Bloodlines" has arguably some of the best writing and quest design in the RPG genre and it doesn't rely on any pre-existing novel nor on a pre-set protagonist.

Oh, and I guess you heard about a certain Planescape: Torment. Not pre-existing novel there either.

Is the game supposed to be this easy or is something wrong with my game?

Long story short, I am level 22 and just fought a level 26 archgriffin. I'm decked out in gear far below my level because I like the aesthetics (my Cidarian Cavalry Armor is level 8 for example) and I don't use Quen in combat anymore because it feels too much like a crutch. Griffin died after about two minutes of mindlessly spamming attacks every time it landed and rolling away every now and then. No planning, special tactics or any use of signs, bombs or potions was necessary. And this was on Death March.

My question is, is the game designed to be this unchallenging even when facing monsters of such grand repute? Have you guys experienced a similar ease in regard to solitary monsters?

Or could it be that my game's difficulty was somehow botched after I switched down to Normal a few times before (just to regenerate health through meditation after getting fall damage due to stumbling down a cliff)?

A L C H E M Y
L_L
C__C
H___ H
E_____ E
M_______M
Y_________Y

Last edited:
No, it isn't.
And just to prove the point: "Vampire: Bloodlines" has arguably some of the best writing and quest design in the RPG genre and it doesn't rely on any pre-existing novel nor on a pre-set protagonist.

Oh, and I guess you heard about a certain Planescape: Torment. Not pre-existing novel there either.

I'm curious as to what you think of my point a few pages ago. In your character customizer, would you be able to play as any race? Any gender? Different classes?

Not every game needs character creation. Why can't some games be left to the developers vision for an I.P?

I've never seen a game that benefited from a character creator outside of the player himself.

While I've seen plenty that have suffered greatly in terms of story, script, dialogue, lore and NPC/world interaction.

Some I.Ps are what they are and are intentionally made that way for good reason.

used tier 5 trousers till i was lv 25 or something just because they looked cool, i planned playing on death march only using kaer morhen armor and changing only the swords (i always at the max difficulty in the witchers)
griffin, basilisks, wywerns etc arnt that much of a threat because they cant hit you, when they try to they usually make you slip under their wing/rear and u just keep spamming without even dodging/rolling, its insane

I think the option to add them through dlc is a bit far fetched. I mean look at all these different amor types. This is a lot of work for devs to add them. They simply won't add 30 new witcher armor in the game through a dlc.
And you should take into considering that the 16 free dlc are already planned and in development. There won't be big changes anymore. We maybe get a wolf school armor, but thats it.

Also to redesign is a bunch of work which simply won't happen either. And it's quite a big demand in my taste.

The only hope we have is mods and the upcoming expansions but I think for now we have to live with the default armors.

Sadly the way the game is right now, you pretty much have Bandits ranging from levels 1 to 20+, which is indescribably stupid, same for a lot of monsters, though I already went indepth with this exact same point.
I will say that the whole concept of "levels" and "health" as it is applied currently in the game, doesn't fit at all. This isn't Skyrim, their world difficulty heatmap is all screwed up and sadly they aren't as experienced at making games yet to fully grasp how to design things such as weapons in an open world game. For a good example that many a familiar with, look at Fallout New Vegas and the way it handles weapons and itemization in relation to enemy toughness.

I'm starting to want to make that heatmap again, would certainly save me the trouble of typing stuff up while trying to explain relatively simple game design concepts.

---------- Updated at 04:17 PM ----------

I do seriously hope you're not suggesting that you're ok with the idea of a single monster type having a level variance that ranges from level 1 to the high teens, right?

I don't want to be over leveled for a QUEST. to fight some super intimidating giant I've never seen before while exploring just to wipe the floor with him in 2 hits.

I'm not saying every breed of that creature should be of that LVL. I'm talking hunt quest specific. Think of it like a super charged version on a rampage you've been contracted to dispose of.

eh.. you can vote how many times u want with strawpoll tho not a good way to poll

Shouldn't be able to exploit it for dupe votes. I was going to use the forum poll but it just didn't want to work and I cannot edit this into a poll. Again, apologies. The strawpoll should work just as well and I don't have any other alternatives. If any mods could let me edit this into a poll or edit it with the options from the strawpoll that would work. Once again, apologies.

I'm curious as to what you think of my point a few pages ago. In your character customizer, would you be able to play as any race? Any gender? Different classes?
Can't say I particularly care, in general, but given we are talking about The Witcher here I don't think any option beside humans would be reasonable... And probably even including the male/female option would require a fair amount of work.

So, my *personal* position would be that no, wasting resources on including alternate dialogues and stories to address any variable like non-humans it would be a waste of resources.
The female option on the other hand would probably be required at cost of forcing the lore in some areas, otherwise you would have the tumbr army trying to paint CDPR as misogynist monsters and the Coming of the Anti-Christ in form of a software developer.

No, it isn't.

I am not talking about required novels as a source or something - just a set character vs CC. Which is exactly why Torment is so good, as it does not have a CC. You are the Nameless One, who is one of the greatest protagonists of all time and is one of the reasons no CC game comes close to Torment.

I don't want to be over leveled for a QUEST. to fight some super intimidating giant I've never seen before while exploring just to wipe the floor with him in 2 hits.

I'm not saying every breed of that creature should be of that LVL. I'm talking hunt quest specific. Think of it like a super charged version on a rampage you've been contracted to dispose of.

Yeah, to that I agree completely. What I was saying was.

Drowner = Drowner < Drowned Dead
as it should be
not
Drowner[1] < Drowner[29] = Drowned Dead[23] < Drowned Dead[25] < Drowner[30] < White Orchard Griffin
as it currently is

Last edited:
As long as you're quick enough to dodge before an enemy hits you (and understand to notice that) and have a weapon that can actually deal damage to that enemy (unless you want to spend 1/2h on that one elementar that is 1x level above you) you can kill everything without any problems

Last edited:
Can't say I particularly care, in general, but given we are talking about The Witcher here I don't think any option beside humans would be reasonable... And probably even including the male/female option would require a fair amount of work.

So, my *personal* position would be that no, wasting resources on including alternate dialogues and stories to address any variable like non-humans it would be a waste of resources.
The female option on the other hand would probably be required at cost of forcing the lore in some areas, otherwise you would have the tumbr army trying to paint CDPR as misogynist monsters and the Coming of the Anti-Christ in form of a software developer.

Do you recall in the controversy created when the second Dragon Age came out and there was no option to play as a dwarf or an elf? I suspect it would be lessened for the Witcher, but it would still be an issue.

And you see my issue with the gender then? Any developer that has a customize your own character option without the ability to play as a female would be under constant attack, but having a female character play just like a male character destroys any sense of realism in the world and would significantly damage the story itself.

Top Bottom