TW3 is my favourite rpg of all time. anyone else feel like tw3 ruined every other rpg, and feel discouraged from other games

+
I recommend "Divinity: Original Sin"

Interesting story, nice graphics, fun gameplay and tactics. Still hardcore RPG but different enough from W3 as to not compete directly.

I recommend "Divinity: Original Sin"

Interesting story, nice graphics, fun gameplay and tactics. Still hardcore RPG but different enough from W3 as to not compete directly.
Indeed, Original Sin is well written and has some cool mechanics. My favorite RPG with TW3 of the past few years.

It really feels like European developers have more charisma in their games.

Fallout 4 is gonna be a terrible disappointment for sure because of TW3

Bethesda games have never been good at stories and quests and just totally terrible buggy messes
all their games have to depend on mods to make them not terrible
they are good at world-building but that's it

not gonna get FO4 until mods start coming out for it

Its best action RPG ever but I don't see any point with comparing it to PoE or DA:O types of games, its not the same genere... and yes it rapes all these soulless Bethesda's crap

I dpn't see why people don't like the combat. dark souls isa a joke.

I like the witcher. most games are just pew pew or slash slash or cast cast. I like tw3's combat with magic, wordplay, dodgig, parrying, etc. probably my favourite combat system I've ever used.

I never said i do not like the combat, but it has issues. Dark Souls, like it or not, has the most advanced action combat system in an RPG ever seen, while still having very deep RPG elements. For starters the combat is super responsive and the hitboxes are super tight(on PvE), something that is far for from true on TW3. Then every weapon has over 10 different attacks that are completely manually controled by you, not automated like TW3. And you mentioned magic dodging, parrying. You do realise that these features are apparent on Dark Souls as well, just better and more advanced.

TBH that's quite an over reaction. Not at all. I'm looking so forward to play Xenoblade X (Open World Futuristic RPG) and Persona 5. I can't wait.

Last edited:
:Each and every side quest was meaningful and amazing, and I've never seen that in a video game before. I felt like the side quests were part of the main campaign and I hate doing sidequests and i hate open world games. I hate gathering 10 herbs, and i am not a fan of exploring.

TW3 has shown me that I don't hate sidequests or OW games, I simply like them done well. I have genuine doubts that any game will ever be as good as TW3, and it deeply saddens me that they are through with Geralt. I loved that flawed but genuine character- I'd play him until tw10 if they let me. :|

This about sidequests! The way they made sidequests is bound to raise standards (at least I hope so) for other RPGs. It usually feels very out of place to step out of the main narrative, even if the quests are fun, but tw3 just proved if they are involving enough it`s only natural to veer a bit on the paths we take and I did it gladly most of the time.

edit.: can`t even dream of coming back to DA:I now. Almost bought the expansion some time ago and I`m glad I didn`t. I`d better just read what happens to Solas :p
edit2: still like bethesda too much to let any of their games pass. As narrative being very well developed makes tw3 awesome, I think it being not that much developed in any bethesda game paradoxally makes them awesome as well lol. I just like how much space they give us to roleplay and imprint our own perspective into the games. Just takes some imagination

Last edited:
Once I'm able to fully mod W3 as skill based melee-magic-archery combat simulator (MMA) -- then, Yes! Until, then I'll defer to heavily modded skyrim as champion for that title.

Wow look at this.... I'm totally looking forward for this. The character creation system is AMAZING !

---------- Updated at 01:47 PM ----------

OMG, this is utterly unbeliveable. Check out the gadget that comes with Fallout 4 collector's edition. God dammit!

sure, the character creation looks cool, but it will just be a beautiful, empty, soulless, and trivial world like every other bethesda game
Funny though, The Witcher 3 feels just like you described. At least for me. Beautiful world, boring and empty dialogues. At least if you compare it to the previous Witcher games, they were far more rich in terms of "soul".

Last edited:
I agree a tiny bit. The size of the game creates a challenge to fill it. W1 and 2 felt fuller. That said, w3 is immensely better than inquisition. The baron story line for example does outshine Solas, both of which I feel are the story high points. You get a complex mix of emotions in each.

Fallout2 still holds the title of best rpg ever for me. Better than 1, and immensly better than anything that followed.

but back to OP. I still play Boarderlands (2) to death. W3 takes so long to load from a save, I can't explore dialog options and hate having to revert sucking diwn mistakes, and with some inventory loss issues and other game state bugs cropping up on a second playthrough, I will probably go back to farming WEP and boss kills.

Funny though, The Witcher 3 feels just like you described. At least for me. Beautiful world, boring and empty dialogues. At least if you compare it to the previous Witcher games, they were far more rich in terms of "soul".

not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion. TW3 was one of the most emotional games I've played. did you see geralt hold ciri when he found her... did you feel the sadness when geralt turned triss/yen down?

not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion. TW3 was one of the most emotional games I've played. did you see geralt hold ciri when he found her... did you feel the sadness when geralt turned triss/yen down?

TBH I'm very tired of chasing Ciri... Have been doing that for 100 hours.... I wanna let her die already.

---------- Updated at 03:08 PM ----------

I agree a tiny bit. The size of the game creates a challenge to fill it. W1 and 2 felt fuller. That said, w3 is immensely better than inquisition. The baron story line for example does outshine Solas, both of which I feel are the story high points. You get a complex mix of emotions in each.

Hmmmm... I might say Dragon Age III can get a bit repetitive at times, but every party member had a whole full background story behind them. And more dialogues. I felt full entertained by Red Jenny and Dorian's plot. Quite amusing.

Last edited:
TBH I'm very tired of chasing Ciri... Have been doing that for 100 hours.... I wanna let her die already.

I feel like you have not read the books. I can't comment on the game without the books, as I havent read them, but I think I wouldn't care about ciri if i hadn't read them.

The books gave me an appreciation for patience. I know gerealt has to stray from the path, and I know it takes time for him to do things (like find ciri) and I didn't mind spending 100 hours doing it. (which is an exaggeration. if you didn't do sidequests, it would be around 20)

But if you cannot appreciate a 100 hour journey, that is your fault rather than the games, and you should play a combat game rather than a story driven rpg.

I feel like you have not read the books. I can't comment on the game without the books, as I havent read them, but I think I wouldn't care about ciri if i hadn't read them.

The books gave me an appreciation for patience. I know gerealt has to stray from the path, and I know it takes time for him to do things (like find ciri) and I didn't mind spending 100 hours doing it. (which is an exaggeration. if you didn't do sidequests, it would be around 20)

But if you cannot appreciate a 100 hour journey, that is your fault rather than the games, and you should play a combat game rather than a story driven rpg.

I think I should play Fallout 4. I appreciate long journeys, I just don't like the whole time being reminded of the same thing. If I wouldn't do side quests the game would be rather short. That would ruin the "open world" experience. Good thing I got rid of that MK-Ultra mind washing story log videos, everytime I load.

Last edited:
Quest design wise, it is the best RPG I have ever played. It is also the best narrative I've ever experienced in an open world game ... which isn't to say it's perfect but it is overall very good. The dialogue is also about as good as it gets (although I wish there was more ... which in a video game is astonishing). The characters are obviously strong, though they they change less than I would personally prefer throughout the story. The choice and consequence system is better than most games I have played, though not having varying end states does but a blemish on it. Overall narrative experience I would agree it sets a new bar for mid-evil setting RPG video games.

The visuals are better than any other open world-ish RPG I have played (granted I play on PS4 so my opinion in that particular matter is not hugely important). The music is top notch (but lots of games have great atmospheric music). So atmosphere wise it also sets a pretty high bar for this style game.

The combat and movement controls are solid, but by no means ground breaking. Alchemy is pretty good, not my favorite, but I understand why they made the design choices they did for the sake of the open world game. I liked witcher senses more than I though I would (they are much more enjoyable and challenging when the mini-map is turned off - and before the patch were even difficult for me because have a red-green color deficiency in vision ... making following red tracks or scent trails in the woods or grass very hard). Signs are signs ... nothing too great, although granted I have not played a mage build). The UI interface is just okay for me - definitely not ground breaking. The leveling system is not very rewarding, but that makes some sense when you're supposed to start as the ultimate bad-ass... there's only so much progression to be had before you achieve OP deity status. The game play is definitely more enjoyable on the higher difficulty settings. Generally speaking I would say the game play design is solid but unspectacular.

So ... yeah. Where the game really shines is story, open world, quest design and atmosphere. On top of that it does just about everything at least well IMO ... which is a feat in and of itself. How the individual elements blend together for the overall experience is the true testament to the game's greatness. Even the parts that I dislike (with the exception of the UI interface) I can understand why the choice was made to serve a purpose that enhances another element of the game.

I think I should play Fallout 4. I appreciate long journeys, I just don't like the whole time being reminded of the same thing. If I wouldn't do side quests the game would be rather short. That would ruin the "open world" experience. Good thing I got rid of that MK-Ultra mind washing story log videos, everytime I load.

your logic is flawed then.

"Oh. I don't likre chasing ciri for 100 hours, but i spent 80 hours doing side quests." How does that make sense? you didn't chase her for 100 hours. you did other stuff for 80 hours.
and the loading screens are irrelevant- you can skip them. mod them. mute them. theyre just loading screens. they're insignificant. Just there to remind busy people what happened when they played the game 2 weeks ago.

your logic is flawed then.

"Oh. I don't likre chasing ciri for 100 hours, but i spent 80 hours doing side quests." How does that make sense? you didn't chase her for 100 hours. you did other stuff for 80 hours.
and the loading screens are irrelevant- you can skip them. mod them. mute them. theyre just loading screens. they're insignificant. Just there to remind busy people what happened when they played the game 2 weeks ago.

What i'm trying to say is, besides the past time of killing monsters side quests, the main story line is quite bland. It's all about chasing Ciri. You were saying Bethesda games lacks soul. How soulful is a main story line resumed to chase one girl for most of the time ? The Witcher 3 don't hold a soul compared to it's previous games and it's quite at the same level of any other open world rpgs as far as a "soul" is concerned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom