TW3 is my favourite rpg of all time. anyone else feel like tw3 ruined every other rpg, and feel discouraged from other games

+
TW3 is my favourite rpg of all time. anyone else feel like tw3 ruined every other rpg, and feel discouraged from other games

Not trying to boast or be a fanboy. Honestly, TW3 has absolutely annihilated my desire to play any other game. I have no interest in finishing farcry 4, replaying DA:I, nothing of the sort. I do not want to game, honestly, because I know absolutely nothing can live up tp tw3.

TW3 was such an amazing narriative (despite what i view as some flaws- I was not a fan of the avallac storyline.)

Each and every side quest was meaningful and amazing, and I've never seen that in a video game before. I felt like the side quests were part of the main campaign and I hate doing sidequests and i hate open world games. I hate gathering 10 herbs, and i am not a fan of exploring.

TW3 has shown me that I don't hate sidequests or OW games, I simply like them done well. I have genuine doubts that any game will ever be as good as TW3, and it deeply saddens me that they are through with Geralt. I loved that flawed but genuine character- I'd play him until tw10 if they let me.

I even doubt tw4 will live up, and even if it does, I need to wait 2-5 years. I feel worse than I did when House ended. lol.

I hope studios take lessons from tw3, and hope other games manage to live up. I don't think I'll ever enjoy a game like I did tw3, and that depresses the hell out of me. I wish Geralt and Ciri got one more game. :|

They upped the ante in terms of detailed side quests. I am playing Dragon Age Inquisition atm and the side quests there are laughable now. NPC's show no emotion, they just speak like robots in a monotone voice..../yawn

They upped the ante in terms of detailed side quests. I am playing Dragon Age Inquisition atm and the side quests there are laughable now. NPC's show no emotion, they just speak like robots in a monotone voice..../yawn

I loved DA:O. I can't even go back to da:I for dlc now.. I would just alt+f4 in 5 minutes. TW3 ABSOLUTELY ruined any chance of that.

The game is amazing, but there are other RPGs that do some aspects better, so no it has not ruined my gaming experience.
Eg. TW3 has decent combat, but in all honesty it's not that great. So if you want a combat driven RPG you can gio ahead and play Dark Souls, or bloodborne. It also seems that Dark Souls 3 is around the corner.
TW3 has no tactical group combat like other RPGs. If that;s something you enjoy you can go ahead and play Pillars of Eternity
TW3 has not tactical turn based combat. So if you want you can go ahead and play Divinity Original Sin
TW3 has no advanced itemization and build diversity. If that's something you like you can play Path of Exile.

That's just some examples of recent RPGs.

Well the side quests are very good and better than most of what you can see in the genre. But progression-wise TW3 is rather lower to mid-class. The character progression in terms of skills and fighting is laugable and does not add at all to the replay value.

Probably they did it by purpose to not completely kill off RPGs forever.

I dpn't see why people don't like the combat. dark souls isa a joke.

I like the witcher. most games are just pew pew or slash slash or cast cast. I like tw3's combat with magic, wordplay, dodgig, parrying, etc. probably my favourite combat system I've ever used.

Like another poster alluded to above, it really casts Dragon Age - a title that was previously my favourite game of this console generation thus far - in a bad light, especially when it comes to fully fleshed out side quests. Even Witcher 3's most throwaway missions have more soul than the MMO style fetch quests used to pad the length of Bioware's offering.

The main story is much stronger, the quality of writing is better, the combat is more nuanced and challenging, and the overall atmosphere and feel is infinitely more engaging. I don't think I'll be able to return to that title for quite some time.

Last edited:
Nope, I really enjoy a wide variety of games. I'm glad this game was made, so now the bar can be set higher in the future. I was glad for Inquisition in that respect as well.

I want to see how fallout 4 and the next elder scrolls game is. So far it's up there. I really did like the original dragon age and mass effect.

Plus there is mass effect 4. I'm not to happy with how the mass effect games went away from rpg elements and turned more action.

We'll see how the upcoming RPGs are but the Witcher 3 was really good.

Nope, RPG is such a diverse genre that while TW3 is probably the best game of its type, there will be others that I will enjoy. For example, I still love isometric classic RPGS like pillars of eternity, divinity origin sin, TW3 didn't really change my opinions on either of those.

I loved DA:O. I can't even go back to da:I for dlc now.. I would just alt+f4 in 5 minutes. TW3 ABSOLUTELY ruined any chance of that.

I also loved DA:Origins. Still have it installed, and played through again just a few months ago. The story, tactical party based combat, and the wonderful cast of characters all still hold up pretty well to this day, imo.
(Unfortunately, couldn't even finish DA:Inquisition, for various reasons that have been done to death so I won't repeat them.)

I agree though, TW3 is an extraordinary achievement, and I'm so glad CDPR have set the bar so high. I would still love to see another DA:Origins style RPG though, but doubt we'll ever get it from Bioware again. For me, these two titles aren't really competing, because they are quite different, aside from just age.

That's a good thing in my mind, 'cause now I get to have TWO favourites. =)

Last edited:
E3 is near , I hope there will be quality games from there.

Fallout 4 looks promising http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/15/e3-2015-fallout-4-collectors-edition-includes-real-pip-boy

I didn't like fo3, never played NV.

I don't usually like open world games. I absolutely did not like TES. I found skyrim pretty bad- just going to caves over and over again. Even the faction questlines were just "go to this cave" x10.

TW3 had more story, more soul, and characters i got attached to. all the quests had a story. most Open world games lack these qualities

Yeah, but we can't dwell on just one game, we can only replay one game as many times until we're fed up, we'll get bored eventually. Sure TW3 is one of the best if not THE best at the moment, but there are still great game developers out there, and they'll come up with something.

The Witcher 3 has definitely ruined or you can say "exposed" a lot of games as being shallow. I've never played a game that got me so emotionally involved like this one. I loved the stories and characters and I don't think any game comes close. I don't want to play anything else. My only real criticism is the lack of interaction with Triss in 2 parts of the story which I hope CD Projekt RED will address and soon.

It is indeed amazing how CD Red managed to not fall into the same hole Bioware dived head in first. Dragon Age: Origins was great, but then everything went downhill. For RED it's completely the opposite, Witcher 1 was so so, second game was much better and longer. Enter Witcher 3 and a new bar for open world RPG is set. I don't even know how Bethesda is going to live up to it or surpass the bar set by RED. Surpass, hah, good luck with that!

Can RED possibly keep it up and surpass themselves with their future games? I certainly hope so, games like Witcher 3 is what makes me love being a gamer.

P.S. But please RED, do a better job at UI!

Not at all. As uncool as it is, I still love Skyrim, and will probably replay it again at some point. I'll also play any DLC DAI comes up with. they all bring different things to the table.

It probably ruined every other fantasy rpg for a long time for me.Now I'm looking forward to Fallout 4, Mass Effect 4 and Cyberpunk

Top Bottom