TW3 is my favourite rpg of all time. anyone else feel like tw3 ruined every other rpg, and feel discouraged from other games

+
What i'm trying to say is, besides the past time of killing monsters side quests, the main story line is quite bland. It's all about chasing Ciri. You were saying Bethesda games lacks soul. How soulful is a main story line resumed to chase one girl for most of the time ? The Witcher 3 don't hold a soul compared to it's previous games and it's quite at the same level of any other open world rpgs as far as a "soul" is concerned.

agree to disagree then. Its fine to me. It's his daughter who is the fate of the world. I'd chase her too. And then again, that is not the only thing you do. You help the baron. you cross the crones. you fight the hunt. you deal with the skelligue crap. you deal with the mages in (the city I forget the name of)

but even a story without all that, just about Ciri, I would play. There is a series of like 5 entire books of geralt chasing her. 20 hours is nothing. lol

agree to disagree then. Its fine to me. It's his daughter who is the fate of the world. I'd chase her too. And then again, that is not the only thing you do. You help the baron. you cross the crones. you fight the hunt. you deal with the skelligue crap. you deal with the mages in (the city I forget the name of)

but even a story without all that, just about Ciri, I would play. There is a series of like 5 entire books of geralt chasing her. 20 hours is nothing. lol

Well I can agree that if you had all the details you can get from the books inside the game, that would be sort of godlike.

---------- Updated at 04:09 PM ----------

There is a huge problem for me, because I really go open world for it, and it takes time to go back to the main narrative, that sort of totally disrupts any climax. That could be the reason why I'm not getting any feeling from it.

Well I can agree that if you had all the details you can get from the books inside the game, that would be sort of godlike.

---------- Updated at 04:09 PM ----------

There is a huge problem for me, because I really go open world for it, and it takes time to go back to the main narrative, that sort of totally disrupts any climax. That could be the reason why I'm not getting any feeling from it.

I don't see your problem. this is just a nature of video games. tw3 is the one game I found NOT to have this problem- I can do all my side quests and feel as though they are actually part of the narrative, rather than collecting 10 hides in skyrim. It takes no time at all. I can hunt a monster, talk to the godling in the mansion, help a blacksmith, help triss, and then proceed to meet yen in skeligue (main story) and it all goes fine. i can go back to main any time- takes no time.

Bump ! One final consideration. For some reason I have the feeling that the best way to mingle story and open world is to discover out plots within the game as you go and arrive at new places. Meaningful plots, not just any side thing. It seems more viable than having one straight path. Seems far more viable. Anyways... Just thoughts.

Last edited:
I don't see your problem. this is just a nature of video games. tw3 is the one game I found NOT to have this problem- I can do all my side quests and feel as though they are actually part of the narrative, rather than collecting 10 hides in skyrim. It takes no time at all. I can hunt a monster, talk to the godling in the mansion, help a blacksmith, help triss, and then proceed to meet yen in skeligue (main story) and it all goes fine. i can go back to main any time- takes no time.

I totally agree with you. CDPR did a great job because to me the side quests really didn't feel like they where separated from the narrative, but part of it. Some side quests even gave me more information and depth about the main story which I really liked and attached me even more to the main characters, their history and what would happen to them.

If I would've just have sticked to the main story to finish the game and I wouldn't have done any or only just a few of the side quests I would have felt I really missed out on a lot! Some more than the other but overall they really add to Geralt's journey in finding and helping Ciri and make it a very rich story. I'm very glad I took my time and did as much as possible before returning to the main story again and eventually finish it.

I have only just started playing this game and already im getting the feel of it much more than i did when starting Skyrim, and i put in hundreds of hours into that game. please let this game be like skyrim or better.

I can really relate with TS. Before I started playing Witcher 3 I actually played GTA 5 almost daily. Right now though, after almost a week of finishing this absolutely amazing game (GOTY for me!) I can't get myself to play GTA 5 or any other game at the moment. I tried, but I could only play for 30 minutes and be done with it. TS says he felt the same when House ended, I understand what you mean because I had the same when I finished watching The Wire.

The Witcher 3 story is a true masterpiece (even though it has some flaws) and you truly get attached to each of the characters and what happens to them (Geralt, Ciri, Yenn, Triss..).

Right now I somewhat feel this empty space inside me and other games feel shallow to me because I keep comparing it to TW3. Haha! Don't worry though, I still function fine IRL! But after completing TW3 it feels a bit like I've lost a good friend or loved one. But in my mind I know that eventually I can start playing other games again, my heart just disagrees for the time being.

What I need is some time to recover from this epic journey... Congrats CD Projekt Red! And if The Witcher 4 comes years from now I will be the first in line with all of you guys.

What i'm trying to say is, besides the past time of killing monsters side quests, the main story line is quite bland. It's all about chasing Ciri. You were saying Bethesda games lacks soul. How soulful is a main story line resumed to chase one girl for most of the time ? The Witcher 3 don't hold a soul compared to it's previous games and it's quite at the same level of any other open world rpgs as far as a "soul" is concerned.

Trying to find and save your daughter from worldly and extra dimensional forces after she has been missing for years is actually a very compelling story to me.

Furthermore, it may be true that Act I is all about chasing down Ciri ... but about half way through Act II you find her, rescue her, battle the Wild Hunt with all of the Characters who you can recruit. Your mentor dies and you must deal with the aftermath of that. Then you have to take the fight through space and time to defeat the Wild Hunt. So "it's all about chasing Ciri" is a false premise to rest your conclusion (that it's a weak main narrative on) ... because it is a lot more than that. I prefer the personal main narrative in the Witcher 3 to the political story in Witcher 2 (but that is a matter of taste). I agree that Act I's strongest points lie in the side quests, but once I got to the isle of the mists, I barely did any side quests because the main narrative sucked me in.

I could not disagree more with the statement that the narrative is the same quality as other open world RPGs. It's a matter of opinion obviously, but this game is far more affective to me than any Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age game. It's not on the same level as the Last of Us or some other more linear games (which would include the Witcher 2 if you liked it better - which I didn't). But for an open world-ish game it's the best I've ever played.

It would be bland if the voice acting and narrative sucked. The latter are the strengths of this game. I am playing Dragon Age Inquisition right now and while some parts of the game are pretty neat the voice acting and narrative story telling is pretty much LOL

---------- Updated at 06:04 PM ----------

. You were saying Bethesda games lacks soul. .

Bethesda's strengths lie elsewhere as their writing and their means to tell it on the computer screen is pretty subpar. And that's okay as that has never been their strength and they know it as well by their lack of quality voice acting and cut scenes. I am looking forward to Fallout 4 but go in understanding the storytelling from start to finish is going to be subpar. Beth just makes sandbox worlds for you to explore, nothing more..and that's cool.

Last edited:
I just realized that TW3 has no multiplayer. think this contributed to its perfection? I think the MP focus hurt DA:I.

I have 0 interest in multiplayer tbh, just story and world.

Trying to find and save your daughter from worldly and extra dimensional forces after she has been missing for years is actually a very compelling story to me.

I'd say it's a very compelling bollocks. I don't even have a daughter. Anyways.. That's another matter entirely. Can't find any sauce on this story line. Very poor. To me, of course. It could be more saucy. lol...

Last edited:
I just realized that TW3 has no multiplayer. think this contributed to its perfection? I think the MP focus hurt DA:I.

I have 0 interest in multiplayer tbh, just story and world.

DAI tried to be a jack of all trades game to appease the masses. There is no doubt the world is HUGE and Bioware did not short change the singleplayer experience as there are lots of side things to do (tho it can feel like a grind at times) in each zone. Having said that Bioware went away from what made them stand apart from other game companies aka storytelling. DAI is still a pretty good game tho once you get past the nuances. The completionist gamers will have a field day as there are tons of stuff to collect.

Main thing is this, it's obvious CDPRO, Bethesda and Bioware all bring different strengths to the table. This in itself is a great thing for us gamers as it adds variety stead of these major heavyweights mirroring one another..

Last edited:
I bought about 8 games on the Steam summer sale so far, I've only installed about 2 games and I've yet to play any.

:(

I feel like everything is meh compared to this. But that's on the game and not considering graphics that were downgraded, only gameplay is really good. Some other things isn't that much better. I like honesty more than anything. And also liberty, to say what we think freely and without censorship of critics. I see a new bar for gaming with this game but at the same time opaqued by bad behavior from developers.

Now Bethesdas Fall Out 4 is coming strong. We'll see.

Last edited:
I feel like everything is meh compared to this. But that's on the game and not considering graphics that were downgraded, only gameplay is really good. Some other things isn't that much better. I like honesty more than anything. And also liberty, to say what we think freely and without censorship of critics. I see a new bar for gaming with this game but at the same time opaqued by bad behavior from developers.

Now Bethesdas Fall Out 4 is comming strong. We'll see.

I have mixed feelings about this game as well. While you can clearly see the game have it's potential, everything seems chaotic and unorganized. Game's economy is broken, you just make money too easily, the difficulty is questionable, bugs, bugs, alchemy system highly questionable it feels broken, valuable loot in excess in ordinary places kills any idea of valuable crafting materials ect... Alas. I have been following CDPR since 2007 when they released W1, I'm half shocked and half confused with what I see right now.

Last edited:
The game is amazing, but there are other RPGs that do some aspects better, so no it has not ruined my gaming experience.
Eg. TW3 has decent combat, but in all honesty it's not that great. So if you want a combat driven RPG you can gio ahead and play Dark Souls, or bloodborne. It also seems that Dark Souls 3 is around the corner.
TW3 has no tactical group combat like other RPGs. If that;s something you enjoy you can go ahead and play Pillars of Eternity
TW3 has not tactical turn based combat. So if you want you can go ahead and play Divinity Original Sin
TW3 has no advanced itemization and build diversity. If that's something you like you can play Path of Exile.

That's just some examples of recent RPGs.
Interesting. I think TW3's combat wipes the floor with Souls. I think it still would even if it were only swordplay. I'm prolly biased, though, in my utter hatred of i-frames. Though it's actually mroe about TW3 being more dynamic, with special moves, signs and alchemy, whereas DS is all about good execution of the same few elements (block-dodge-strike), over and over, against enemies that rarely defend themselves.

I haven't played or seen the other games you've mentioned. Are they for PC only?

As for my answer to the OP, I think TW3 has more awesomeness than any game, but has some huge problems with pacing (overleveling being the biggest) that put it behind Inquisition, imo.

Absolutely not. While I really enjoy playing W3, it has so many flaws and bugs, there are definitely better games out there.
It's just hyped over the top by all the dimwitted fanboys.

Bioware saving grace is that their games are party based,with extensive banter.
Otherwise, Witcher 3 is better then any game Bioware has ever made.

But the desire to play any Elder Scrolls game is noneexistent now.

I love The Witcher 3 and as a video game I think it "ruined" my expectations of quality. As an RPG, to me personally, it didn't do a lot mostly because I dislike the leveling/skill system and level scaling that is all over the place. Then again, we do have plenty of different styles of RPGs. Either way I agree that I am playing it currently over any other game.

Interesting. I think TW3's combat wipes the floor with Souls. I think it still would even if it were only swordplay. I'm prolly biased, though, in my utter hatred of i-frames. Though it's actually mroe about TW3 being more dynamic, with special moves, signs and alchemy, whereas DS is all about good execution of the same few elements (block-dodge-strike), over and over, against enemies that rarely defend themselves.

I haven't played or seen the other games you've mentioned. Are they for PC only?

As for my answer to the OP, I think TW3 has more awesomeness than any game, but has some huge problems with pacing (overleveling being the biggest) that put it behind Inquisition, imo.

Yes the other games are PC only. There is nothing wrong for you or anybody to enjoy the combat of Witcher more. But in terms of how advanced, polished and responisive DS combat is, there is just no comparison. You mentioned special moves. What special moves, whirl? DS2 and bloodborne offer MORE than 10 different attacks on every weapon, in all of which you have 100% control. That's the basic low point of TW combat. I love as quick thrusting attack Geralt does some times after dodging. Well, if only i could do that MANUALLY, and he did not do it randomly. You mention signs. DS has tons of spells that you can use as a battle mage. There is no comparison there. Alchemy yeah, is something that DS does not have. But also every weapon class have different moveset, while on TW every swords weilds the same. Also there is far more advanced system on how your stats interact with weapons.The last point of enemies that rarely defend themselves is the most absurd. Sorry. Have you seen the AI on DS2 invaders? Like Maldron the assasin? Enemies there block you, dodge you, parry you, guard break you, backstab you among others, while bandits on TW3 just stand there looking at you like fools.

I prefer TW3 over DS generally, all things considered, but the combat, objectively speaking is vastly superior on DS, or any other ARPG for that matter. And again, nothing wrong with enjoying TW3's combat more.

Top Bottom