TW3 Open World

+
TW3 Open World

Very disappointed in their decision. If I wanted TES, I would play TES. Hope I am wrong, but I fear for Geralt. Open world has always been the enemy of deep story and characters.

Hope they aren't going for the flavor of the month crowd.

theres a good and bad things with ow

but its the witcher, and rides with ciri at his side in the main picture...
and it is cd project... have some faith my friend

Agreed... very disappointed as well. I've never seen an open world game with a good story. I highly doubt it's doable at all. Will TW3 have a better story than Skyrim? I would guess so but that's a VERY low bar.

People that want a sandbox will still not buy TW3 because they'll complain they don't get to create their own character but they stand to lose the crowd that loves TW1 and 2 for their story.

Disappointed really? Well I'm exited, probably the best thing I could wish for

Why we alway compare open world with TES? There a lot of open world game nothing like TES

I like how everyone is so sure that CDPR will fail merging openworld gameplay with good writing because Elder Scrolls failed that.

Well three examples of great story in an open world come to mind: Ultimas 4-7, Fallout New Vegas and Betrayal at Krondor. Hopefully they can make something on the same level as these, that said I am very bloody worried and cautious but if anybody can do it it's CDPR. For the moment i'm indulging in a little hope.

An open world Witcher game sounds delicious to me, but then I don’t accept that open world inevitably equals poor story or second rate characterisation. Colour me optimistic.

I as well am not a fan of the open world settings in games, not solely b/c of the lack of an cohesive story, but more on how the world tends to feel very empty and the cities present in the game are quite small. I remember in the prologue of TW2, when I was climbing the tower where Aryan was waiting, I stopped and overlooked how massive the La Valette castle was. In comparison, if Novigrad--which is described to be one of the largest cities in the North--is in the same scale as e.g. Whiterun or any other city in Skyrim, then I will be very disappointed.

I have faith in CDPR that they will develop an intriguing story, but I'm worried and skeptical that the world will be that grand.

Some people forget that "open world" is a design decision, while good narrative, writing and characterization are core game elements. The fact that hugely popular games like The Elder Scrolls series are "open" AND lack any kind of good story and characterization has nothing to do with the ability to merge the two.

As Blothulfur said, a good modern example is Fallout: New Vegas. Even considering the limitations of Bethesda's Engine, Obsidian managed to create a world we could freely explore while developing a well-narrated story, with meaningful characters and situations. I am positive CDPR can do better than that especially considering they made everything from the ground up. TW1 and TW2, for example, could perfectly be "open world" and keep their original stories. We could be able to go back to the outskirts after entering Vizima, we *could* go back to Vizima after reaching the lakeside and village in Chapter 4, but we have no reason to do it (and it could be dangerous). In TW2, could have the option of visiting Flotsam, the Kaedweni camp, Vergen and even Loc Muinne but events wouldn't trigger until we've done certain things. In real life, we *can* go anywhere we want but we don't seem to wander around aimlessly, do we? We don't show up at the theater without tickets because we couldn't do anything.

Agbeth said:
Why we alway compare open world with TES? There a lot of open world game nothing like TES

Well, Two Worlds 1/2 and Gothic 3 failed miserably at providing an interesting vast open world, as well.
Blothulfur's examples are ancient, and therefore had a whole different set of requirements in game development. Except for New Vegas, which I didn't play. Maybe that's one shining example?

As I pointed out in another thread, I don't think it's impossible. But it's a task so enormously huge, that I can't even grasp all the indications for the development process, and how much effort is to be put into it, to get it quite right. I don't think CDPR will fail and I would trust them, if anyone, to accomplish this, but I'm still anxious and a bit worried.

Zanderat said:
Open world has always been the enemy of deep story and characters.
Nope.
just because TES games are dull, doesn't mean that dullness is intrinsically connected with open world design.
There are plenty of old games proving otherwise.

It's a huge risk for sure, but they took similar risks for their previous games. Especially TW2, turning 180 on combat and the splitting story archs were major gambles that could've ruined the game and the company.

If anyone can pull this combo off, it is CDPR. Just because it hasn't worked yet, doesn't mean it can't be done. With that logic the human race would've gotten nowhere. In CDPR we trust

So far CDPR is 2 for 2 in my book so I'm not worried. On top of that some sort of innovation or change really is needed in the industry and I'd much rather see devs take the risk than keep giving us the same old even if they fail every once in a while.

Eventually someone will get open world with a good story right. I hope and believe CDPR can pull it off, but if they don't...well eventually someone will, they just have to have the balls to try.

I would just like to tell the OP hasn't played enough games to make that. Rest assured, full trust in CDP and there are games with open world and great story. Take the AC franchise for example. They beat the shit out of most games out there, overall. Disagree may all you like, but that's a fact.

Chewin3 said:
In comparison, if Novigrad--which is described to be one of the largest cities in the North--is in the same scale as e.g. Whiterun or any other city in Skyrim, then I will be very disappointed.

This. If something like this happens, all I have to say is fuck you CDPR!

Aaden said:
Well, Two Worlds 1/2 and Gothic 3 failed miserably at providing an interesting vast open world, as well.
Blothulfur's examples are ancient, and therefore had a whole different set of requirements in game development. Except for New Vegas, which I didn't play. Maybe that's one shining example?

As I pointed out in another thread, I don't think it's impossible. But it's a task so enormously huge, that I can't even grasp all the indications for the development process, and how much effort is to be put into it, to get it quite right. I don't think CDPR will fail and I would trust them, if anyone, to accomplish this, but I'm still anxious and a bit worried.

I agree with this. While I am sceptical to how they will be able to match the engaging story and world in an open world setting I am confident that if anyone can do it, it's CDProject.

Aaden said:
Except for New Vegas, which I didn't play. Maybe that's one shining example?

I don't see F3:NW as a shining example tbh. I found it almost as bland as eg. Skyrim. It was slightly better, but there still wasn't the pace and the meaningfulness I love in eg the Witcher series. Sure, you had lots of people to talk to and lots of quests and stuff to explore, but it never really connected with me. I dutifully explored and quested because I'm a bit of a completionist, but it never felt even 10% as alive as tw1/tw2 or some other games.

So, also sceptical about OW.

In case you didn't read the article, it's an open world with a bigger map than Skyrim, 100 hours of gameplay, You can mount a horse, fight on a horse and the story will be much more personnal. I honestly can't wait for this game. YOu guys should wait and see. Don't do like some other fans that just start bitching every time a developper tries to try something new in their game. Its childish.

Top Bottom