TW3 Open World

+
I guess that CDRed will not give us ALL WORLD of Geralt but only piece!
Look at the picture!
In the press write so:
In the game, the political situation and attack Nilfgaard will be presented in the main thread, covering key areas: Skellig, Novigard and No Man's Land

Hi guys, I just started playing the witcher series a month ago, and I am very excited for the new installment. That said, the disappointment and skepticism in this thread is premature, see this quote from head of CDPR studio, Adam Badowski.

“If we look at RPGs nowadays we find two approaches, one which emphasizes the story but limits the game world and one that builds a vast open-world but hampers and simplifies the story. With the REDengine 3 we combine the positive aspects of both approaches for the first time, creating an open environment with a complex, multi-thread story. Together with believable characters, a captivating tale and a world where players can roam freely without loading times, we will be able to move gaming to a new level with a realistic feel and full player immersion. When working on our previous titles, I didn’t dream that we would achieve something like this. Thanks to the support of all our fans, now we have the possibility to use REDengine 3 and create something many RPG fans dream of.” - said Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED studio.

The gist of what he's saying: they want to combine the awesomeness of open world with the awesomeness of good storytelling.

Here's the article for the quote: http://www.actiontrip.com/news/cd-projekt-shows-its-redengine-3/020113_5

Malakar1 said:
YOu guys should wait and see.

Oh I wouldn't even have to, I trust cdpr enough I'd preorder it straight away. I'd also preorder cyberpunk without any details whatsoever. But seeing how high the bar is with tw1/2, it has to be allowed to voice some scepticism. bigger isn't always better.

I'm expecting to be surprised. Listening to player input is ok, it's good for image and sales, for the developer to achieve a "bro" status in the eyes of consumers. But when I started playing TW1 I had no idea what to expect from the game, all I knew were a couple of screenshots with naked vampires. And it blew off my mind, it was fantastic, it met my expectations and more. One of my two post 2000 favorite games. I'm expecting the same thing with TW3, I don't want to instruct the developers on how to make the game so it will please my taste. Linear, open world, sandbox, corridor... yada, yada yada... Just do your thing, do it your way CDPR. Surprise me and amaze me, so far it's been a great ride ;)

I for one felt very happy and pleased with all the new features announced. And much rejoice when i heard it's open-ended. Look at Far Cry 3.. it's done really awesomely as an open-ended game (in my honest opinion though). Although it could really benefit from more meaningful storyline.

Anyway i'm a little skeptical with CDPR vision especially on all the new features. They are too ambitious. 20% larger than Skryim? Wow.. but if it's all empty it's just boring.

CDPR should look at FarCry3 (not as a shooter game) but how interesting is the storyline, the jungle, the towers, the hunting, vehicles, etc. and how open-world done right. And of most of all is how beautiful and realistic are the jungle (Dunia 2 engine).

Saw some screenshots on Witcher 3.. i just can't say it's anything jaw-dropping or even next-gen. I can't see anything outstanding at all.

I'm skeptical but hopeful. As long as they don't go chasing after Bethesda I'll be happy.

Keep a strong focus on what made The Witcher 1 & 2 so good. I think it's the lack of urgency and focus that tends to come from open worlds be it Gothic/Risen, TES, Fallout 3/NV, GTA. Mind you GTA "gets" putting restrictions on the player so that they embrace the narrative. It would be disappointing if TW3 was open world only for the sake of people going off the beaten path and dungeon crawling for 200 hours.

In fact I'd be over the moon if there wasn't a single dungeon crawl in TW3.

That and I really want to be able to get rid of that ghastly beard.

Eldanon said:
I've never seen an open world game with a good story.
Fallout 2? Gothic 2? Ultima 7? Darklands?

Anyway, looking forward to open-world Witcher. It's very ambitious, but doable. Everything so far sounds amazing.

Hicks233 said:
I'm skeptical but hopeful. As long as they don't go chasing after Bethesda I'll be happy.

Keep a strong focus on what made The Witcher 1 & 2 so good. I think it's the lack of urgency and focus that tends to come from open worlds be it Gothic/Risen, TES, Fallout 3/NV, GTA. Mind you GTA "gets" putting restrictions on the player so that they embrace the narrative. It would be disappointing if TW3 was open world only for the sake of people going off the beaten path and dungeon crawling for 200 hours.

In fact I'd be over the moon if there wasn't a single dungeon crawl in TW3.

That and I really want to be able to get rid of that ghastly beard.

Honestly i'm quite disappointed that Witcher 2 was very, very, very short and the map is very, very, very small with very little stuff to do.

archaven said:
Honestly i'm quite disappointed that Witcher 2 was very, very, very short and the map is very, very, very small with very little stuff to do.

Oh, yeah. That's is why most people played The Witcher 2 five or six times and everytime they experienced different things.

Hmm I rhink the open world could work well in TW3. It can give us better chance to be a regular witcher - killing monsters for a fee while roaming to the different places. :)
That's what I missed in TW2 so I'm excited. Also that familiar tune in the short teaser could indicate that the game will resemble more that of TW1?

monotoy said:
Oh I wouldn't even have to, I trust cdpr enough I'd preorder it straight away. I'd also preorder cyberpunk without any details whatsoever. But seeing how high the bar is with tw1/2, it has to be allowed to voice some scepticism. bigger isn't always better.

I agree but, saying a game will likely fail only because it is open world is a bit pushed.

I will also pre-order both games. Only games I'll buy day one are from CDPR.

I hope they deliver.

One thing I do know about open world games is that it is very easy to lose story focus and forget what you're supposed to be doing (and even stop caring).

What I like about story-centric games are its characters and seeing what new locations the narrative will take you. For some reason, being able to visit a story's climatic location and meet "final level" characters anytime during the gameplay restricts a story's narrative impact.

Unless CDPR do something really clever.

I am pretty damm excited. I really, really love open world games like Skyrim!! But they lack in character and personality. In the Witcher however you have your character Geralt. So immersion in the game won't be a problem i think. In witcher 1 and 2 they showed they know how to make atmosheric areas with nice forests, swamps and valleys.Now the big bet is how well they can scale it. In that i have high hopes. It's difficult to make such a huge world very interesting like exploring it in real life, but it is possible. If there is one studio that can combine extemely deep story and open-world it must be cd projekt. I mean i don't beleive there is one person that does not like free-roaming. Also they have doubled their team strength. Personally the open world anouncement was what was missing from the witcher series and the devs pointed it right away.

In case you didn't read the article, it's an open world with a bigger map than Skyrim, 100 hours of gameplay, You can mount a horse, fight on a horse and the story will be much more personnal. I honestly can't wait for this game. YOu guys should wait and see. Don't do like some other fans that just start bitching every time a developper tries to try something new in their game. Its childish.

Darn tootin'! This is the way they are going, and that's that. We didn't pledge our swords and axes to complain about what we haven't seen or experienced yet. So lets not single out the wyverns who haven;t hatched and mark them as bad eggs. Instead lets ask the question that's on all our minds,you know, the one we forgot about?

In a massive open world, will there be more brothels?

Glaroug said:
In a massive open world, will there be more brothels?

That's not a question, is it? :p

I'd rather know.... do we get to know Roche's ma in one of them?

TheFieryKnight said:
This. If something like this happens, all I have to say is fuck you CDPR!
why do you have to use that word in that way, what gives you the right to act like such a dick. They are the best developer in gaming industry. Have faith in them and show them the respect the deserve don't start treating them like shit before there game has even been released.

I'd rather know.... do we get to know Roche's ma in one of them?

Bahahahahahaha!

"And so in his fury, Roche removed the turbon. All were amazed and terrified, the witcher included. The events that followed, well, even I am lost for words."

-Dandelion, Half a Century of Poetry

I think this is really fucking bad. Nobody ever has made an open world RPG of that size that has depth in the sense that events happen over time and influence the world strongly. The fact that they have given up on chapters pretty much tells it all. In any open world RPG of such a size you just don't have the manpower and time to make new quests and interesting stuff happening everywhere during the time that you play the game. Nearly every quest has to be able to be played in any particular order. Hence there can also be not too many interconnections between quests (see Gothic 1-2 as a positive example).

I have seen too many gaming series go to complete shit after the developer had the urgent need to drastically change something. It's not the same as in Witcher 1 btw. The fightingsystem is just 1 part of the game and it was arguably the worst part of Witcher 1. So they evolved the game in a positive way without revolutionizing it. The difference now is, that trying to IMPROVE something they completely roll the dice anew. I even agree that the weakest part of Witcher 2 was the exploration but why wouldn't you just make the world a little bigger, keep the chapterstructur and just give the player more to explore. Even an open-world game is fine if it isn't massive as long as you keep the fuckign structure.

See again Gothic 1-2 vs. Gothic 3 for example where they went from well structured games to a near boundless pile of poo. Somethign similar happened between FFX and FFXII and the Risen series in a way.

Top Bottom