TW3 Save game import

+
Sorry if this is really obvious, but I'm assuming we have to install the Witcher 2 with our save game files and TW3 will just locate them that way?

Does anyone know if any gear from Witcher 2 saves carry over? Would be nice if they did.

It won't. in the last official gameplay stream they stated that there are tons of new equipment and armors in TW3 and there won't be any equipment import form the previous game.

Sorry if this is really obvious, but I'm assuming we have to install the Witcher 2 with our save game files and TW3 will just locate them that way?

Just put your saves in the default location (C:\Users\[Your window's account name]\Documents\The Witcher 2) and all should work fine. this was exactly the case when importing TW1 saves to TW2.

Last edited:
It won't. in the last official gameplay stream they stated that there are tons of new equipment and armors in TW3 and there won't be any equipment import form the previous game.

But i'll have to reinstall the Witcher 2 in full for that to work I assume? I can't just make a folder in C:\Users\[Your window's account name]\Documents\ and call it "The Witcher 2", add a "saves" folder and put my save game files that I've kept from when I played, I'm assuming that wouldn't work.

But i'll have to reinstall the Witcher 2 in full for that to work I assume? I can't just make a folder in C:\Users\[Your window's account name]\Documents\ and call it "The Witcher 2", add a "saves" folder and put my save game files that I've kept from when I played, I'm assuming that wouldn't work.

That should work though, tbh it would be strange for it not to.

Technically it's Documents=Witcher 2=gamesaves=somethingsave.sav

Last edited:
I'm thinking about letting Síle de Tansarville live, I mean.. she is kinda pretty, why should I let her die?

So according to several people on Neogaf forums the following questions are asked in game on non-imported saves:

Killed Aryan at the siege in the prologue or let him live
Joined Vernon or Iorveth
Helped Vernon/Iorveth or Triss at the end
Killed/Saved Sile
Killed/Didn't kill Letho

We currently do not know what, if anything extra is added from imported saves.

I have finished the game two times, one time helping iorveth and one time helping vernon.
what decision it will take from my savegame?
I'm tempted to not load my old savegame to let me choose what is the real decision I want.

I have finished the game two times, one time helping iorveth and one time helping vernon.
what decision it will take from my savegame?
I'm tempted to not load my old savegame to let me choose what is the real decision I want.

Just what I was saying earlier:

The game could potentially import the wrong save file or it might simply bug out and you will only realise that after you encounter specific dialogues or NPCs in-game after playing for potentially dozens of hours. It happened to a lot of people with Dragon Age Keep, so I definitely wouldn't want to have to start the game again from the beginning due to a save import bug!

:facepalm:

That should work though, tbh it would be strange for it not to.

Technically it's Documents=Witcher 2=gamesaves=somethingsave.sav

Okay, I've done that in C:/Users\AccountName\Documents. I've then made a folder called "The Witcher 2" and so I then make another folder inside that called "gamesaves" and then another folder called "saves" (but it can be named anything). If that's all correct, I have a question on the files themselves, I've copied 392 bitmap and sav files, I'm assuming I don't need to add all of them to the save folder? If so, which do I copy and paste, the last before the game ended?

Just what I was saying earlier:

The game could potentially import the wrong save file or it might simply bug out and you will only realise that after you encounter specific dialogues or NPCs in-game after playing for potentially dozens of hours. It happened to a lot of people with Dragon Age Keep, so I definitely wouldn't want to have to start the game again from the beginning due to a save import bug!

:facepalm:

Are we sure that if we don't import save game the game will ask all things and we don't loose any additional content?

---------- Updated at 08:24 PM ----------

Witcher 2 asked which file you wanted to use, so i suppose this game will too...

I don't remember which is the save game where
I killed letho
and the one where I saved him and so for many other decisions...

I beat the witcher 2 on steam, but I've since deleted it for hard drive space. Is the save gone for good, or is it somewhere in the steam cloud?

Are we sure that if we don't import save game the game will ask all things and we don't loose any additional content?

No we can't say with 100% certainty that is the case. However, logically it makes perfect sense. If something important was in the saved game where it could impact an ending in W3 then they would have created a question for it. Else all the XBox, PS4 and many new PC users would be screwed out of some possible endings.

So logic dictates that nothing else from the saved game files will impact W3. At most you might get a reference to it (I.E. saving Adda in W1) but it won't impact anything.

Witcher 2 also allowed you to put your Witcher 1 savegame in your Witcher 2 savegame folder, and it would import from there.
Just saying... I don't know if it will work this time.

Okay, I've done that in C:/Users\AccountName\Documents. I've then made a folder called "The Witcher 2" and so I then make another folder inside that called "gamesaves" and then another folder called "saves" (but it can be named anything). If that's all correct, I have a question on the files themselves, I've copied 392 bitmap and sav files, I'm assuming I don't need to add all of them to the save folder? If so, which do I copy and paste, the last before the game ended?

No the .sav goes in the gamesaves, you should not have a folder names saves inside the gamesaves.

C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves and in the gamesaves folder you put the .SAV files.

The only choice i would change from my save game is
killing Letho
however im still thinking of keeping my default original save.

choices choices :hmm:

It would be nice if we got some swords/armor and orens from importing our saves, they dont have to be overpowered mind you, just having the same stats as the normal starting weapons, but its not very important.

Top Bottom