TW3 Save game import

+
Aaden said:
Well, at least it seems safe to assume that imported decisions won't have a huge impact, if CDPR still sits on the fence about it, that far into development.

But it's probably not as bad as it sounds: most decisions influenced the political state of the Northern Kingdoms. TW3 is set at and beyond the frontline to Nilfgaard - which attacked the North, no matter the outcome of TW2 - and southern Redania - the most stable of the Northern Kingdoms, with Radovid alive and all.

Furthermore, we know that TW3 will feature a more personal story and won't delve as deep into politics as TW2 did - when it does, I expect it to be strategic decisions regarding the war or political conflicts on Skellige, both of which are not heavily influenced by TW2. Nor is Tretogor part of the game, or any other capital city, which eliminates the necessity of designing great parts of the game with Anais and the current monarchs in mind. Temerian lands that we can roam are war-ridden and in chaos, so that it's not that important who rules there if anyone. For all gameplay purposes, it seems to suffice that some sort of Northern army is involved in the war, without paying too much attention on which Kingdom contributes which part of that army. More in-depth consequences of TW2's decisions could be handled with dialogue, journal entries and occasional side quests.

Yeah, I agree, Witcher 3 will handle Witcher 2's endings like what Witcher 2 handled Witcher 1, which is a big shame, but if it does impact the war in any way and to hear people talking about it in a tavern would be enough for me.

I mean ... The choices in Witcher 2 had such a big influence on the Northern Kingdoms, to see those choices made unimportant to cater to newcomers is just baffling to me.

KingHochmeister said:
Yeah, I agree, Witcher 3 will handle Witcher 2's endings like what Witcher 2 handled Witcher 1, which is a big shame, but if it does impact the war in any way and to hear people talking about it in a tavern would be enough for me.

I mean ... The choices in Witcher 2 had such a big influence on the Northern Kingdoms, to see those choices made unimportant to cater to newcomers is just baffling to me.

It's not for catering to newcomers. It's simply a question of how much effort you can allow yourself to put into it without making compromises elsewhere. Making these choices influence the whole game - the frontlines, the Northern armies, the strategy of all parties involved, what quests you might get by who in No Man's Land etc, etc - obviously goes too far. They just can't design 16 different games in order to make the decisions from the previous game feel reflect well.

Personally I think it would be very hard to account for the various different endings in W2 and implement them into the game because that could significantly change the outcomes in Witcher 3 and well it would be impossible, the alternative to that would be making the characters be generic reskinned husks that basically do the same thing just waving a different coloured flags based on your "choices" etc.

I'd rather have small references and hints indicating that my choices have changed something than directly seeing it in this case since it would be too huge and most likely would inflate their budget if they would try to intricately make all 16 possibilities different, like Hoch said above I'll prefer the way of people talking about it than actually showing everything actively as just reskins.

"The thing is, if you don't focus on a few features and you try to do too much, then you're going to end up with an average, crappy game. We've got to pick what's important to the game and do it right."

Topics merged, I would like to remind forum users that before you post a new thread you should at least browse a few pages of the forum to see if there are no similar threads already.

Personally I think it would be very hard to account for the various different endings in W2 and implement them into the game because that could significantly change the outcomes in Witcher 3 and well it would be impossible,

I disagree given that the events of TW3 do not take place in the same areas as the events of TW2 did.

Actually i don't care because the political struggle is no more the main idea of the game ! >_______< i mean Yennefer and Ciri and the Wild Hunt are so there is no connection to the political matters

CostinMoroianu said:
I disagree given that the events of TW3 do not take place in the same areas as the events of TW2 did.
Well that's precisely what I meant, since they don't take place in the same areas then we won't have to 'see' areas affected, instead we can get references and hits through NPCs and quests.

I don't think they are ignoring previous decisions. They just won't affect the story to the point where you NEED to play the previous games to enjoy the plot. And your decisions won't open up any new gameplay/story that new players wouldn't have access too. That is what it sounds like to me anyway. You'll get dialogue/mentions AND the endings may be affected by all your choices. But the world of the Witcher 3 won't be (maybe its starting state...maybe more prosperous regions within No Man's Land? A less powerful Empire overall due to a strong North could make an ending where the Empire is crushed much easier...without changing anything about the core game/story of TW3).

They'd be silly not to address them, but I think CDPR doesn't want to force to play the previous games.

My guess is, all the endings/all the content will be more or less (aside from a few unique mentions of characters you personally saved/killed in TW1/2) obtainable by new and old players, old players will just have more flexibility in achieving favorable endings...if the default is the Northern Kingdoms put up no fight, you'd have to be far more active in order to get an ending where the Empire suffers a crushing defeat (but you could still do it). If you had a strong Northern Kingdom though, you'd be able to make more neutral choices and have the same outcome.

OR they will allow old players to pick a preset state for the Northern Kingdoms at the start.

I use the Empire as an example because it is the most logical thing affected by the endings of TW2. I think their goal is logical. But I think not acknowledging previous choices would be dumb.

As long as they are mentioned, and I KNOW they had an affect I am fine. I don't need a quest running me through my choices with a sappy A or B ending at the end of each one (Mass Effect 3...though Ranoch and Tuchanka were both really well done...it still ended up more or less binary, and sad either way, the rest were just 2 possible minor endings to an otherwise identical quest).

Since this thread is about importing choises did CDPR mention what will be canon in TW3 as far as political situation and enything else like the Lodge for example?

blackgriffin said:
Since this thread is about importing choises did CDPR mention what will be canon in TW3 as far as political situation and enything else like the Lodge for example?

They've been mostly silent, which is as they should be. Revealing too much would be spoilers and objectionable. We know Geralt and Triss are not traveling together, and we know the Nilfgaardian advance has bogged down, creating a no man's land. It would be reasonable to assume these are fixed and not founded on choices you made in TW2.

GuyN said:
They've been mostly silent, which is as they should be. Revealing too much would be spoilers and objectionable. We know Geralt and Triss are not traveling together, and we know the Nilfgaardian advance has bogged down, creating a no man's land. It would be reasonable to assume these are fixed and not founded on choices you made in TW2.

At least in the game, it seems like Triss never travels with the Geralt, even when their destination is the same. So they may not be traveling together, but I wouldn't doubt she will be among the first people we see.

Looks like going by this alone on the timeline

"The war with Nilfgaard obliterated the old order. The North is engulfed in chaos, and marching armies leave a plague of monsters in their wake. Geralt of Rivia once more treads the Witcher’s Path."

To me that kind of hints that it doesn't matter what your ending was in Witcher 2, the war in 9 months have probably changed all of that anyways.

Looks like going by this alone on the timeline

"The war with Nilfgaard obliterated the old order. The North is engulfed in chaos, and marching armies leave a plague of monsters in their wake. Geralt of Rivia once more treads the Witcher’s Path."

To me that kind of hints that it doesn't matter what your ending was in Witcher 2, the war in 9 months have probably changed all of that anyways.

It should matter if the Council and the Conclave were established or not. In one case we should have mages either still hiding from persecution, or even cooperating with Nilfgaard just to save their lives. In another - the mages are community leaders, and the leaders of the resistance on NML. Two completely different sets of events, and very different possible quests..

It should matter if the Council and the Conclave were established or not. In one case we should have mages either still hiding from persecution, or even cooperating with Nilfgaard just to save their lives. In another - the mages are community leaders, and the leaders of the resistance on NML. Two completely different sets of events, and very different possible quests..

It should matter, indeed. The fact of the Nilfgaardian invasion will overwhelm many other situations, and the successful re-establishment of the Council and Conclave will mean a lessening of the persecution of mages, not a restoration of them to leadership. But it may mean the difference between Geralt having a hard decision over putting his life on the line for an innocent priestess and Geralt considering whether to back the sorceresses and their pet dragon in a civil war.

Anyway, I will be pleased beyond belief with a strong resolution to Ves's story if I import a Roche-path save.

Last edited:
I've come to accept that my choices on the 360 wont matter anymore. I'll still love the Witcher 3 when it is released. I'm just happy it will be on PS4. I know it wont be on PC level but it will be close enough to still drop my jaw lol. I really wish Witcher 2 would get brought to next-gen some day. I'd pay in full to see it how it really should be seen.

On the one hand, I'd love to see my saves really, really matter. Even though I'm still recovering from my Mass Effect Trauma.

On the other hand, I've also always enjoyed the feeling that it wasn't -my- story, it was Geralt's as interpreted by me. That things changed and happened beyond my sight or control, or even differently than I would have chosen, only reinforces this pleasant sense of independent story-telling.

I hate it when people say Mass Effect has better C&C! "look at all the 300+ choices that made it into the next game"

well 90% of those choices didn't matter one fucking bit.

I don't expect all W1-W2 choices to matter but two or three of them will have a great impact in the next game. There will probably be more decisions that'll carry over since the game is open world.

The Knights of the Order are all over Redania and Temeria and will likely aid Geralt in his quest for example.

I hate it when people say Mass Effect has better C&C! "look at all the 300+ choices that made it into the next game"

well 90% of those choices didn't matter one fucking bit.

I don't expect all W1-W2 choices to matter but two or three of them will have a great impact in the next game. There will probably be more decisions that'll carry over since the game is open world.

The Knights of the Order are all over Redania and Temeria and will likely aid Geralt in his quest for example.

That's a pretty generous estimate.

I wonder how many other people fed up with BioWare's bullshit are around. What's good Seboist? I hope there's save transfer from 360 to XBONE. But if there isn't whatever.

Top Bottom