TW3 UI Aesthetics

+
It will prioritize based on distance I would presume. Also I prefer elements top of the screen, bottom falls out of...focus? I'm not sure how to express it properly but I'll try - something on top is fairly easy to see in the heat of the moment while towards the bottom is not. But maybe it's just the dominant eye playing games.

We don't need a hotbar. It's not an MMO. Just buttons bound for changing spells 1-5, and dedicated buttons for scrolling bombs and potions.

Secondary sign usage is handled another way trough it's own button (or maybe holding the sign button)? Anyway no need to butcher the screen for the sole purpose so they can say guys we have a special PC UI . Not that type of game. Even TW1 which was made on the NWN engine didn't have anything similar. Didn't need it

Pretty sure it was confirmed more than a year ago that sign usage is differentiated by tapping and holding. So taking igni example tap=igni projectile, hold=flamethrower.

We don't need a hotbar. It's not an MMO.
Who is we? If you want to say something please just speak for yourself...

And how is "it's not an MMO" a valid argument? If a feature makes the experience/gameplay better it's competely irrelevant in which other genre it's usually used. How about talking about actual game design and mechanics instead of giving bland statements what "we" need or not? Sorry, but I find your dismissive post kind of insulting after I made the effort to explain my observations, experiences and opinions in detail...

Secondary sign usage is handled another way trough it's own button (or maybe holding the sign button)? Anyway no need to butcher the screen for the sole purpose so they can say guys we have a special PC UI .
For the sole purpose??? Have you even read my latest post on the topic? I've also suggested to include a button to make the hotbar invisible which makes your "butcher the screen" statement pretty obsolete. For solid reasons why I favor a hotbar read my post (hint:ease of use, less button clicking, more fluid gameplay in combat, more flexibility)...

Pretty sure it was confirmed more than a year ago that sign usage is differentiated by tapping and holding. So taking igni example tap=igni projectile, hold=flamethrower.
Well, at the same time it was announced that Witcher 3 will offer a "target organs/limbs of your enemies feature" which was cut again soon after. So things are object to changes until release. I don't see why this double mechanic on buttons should be forced on PC (M/K) where you have more than enough keys to differentiate without the risk of choosing the wrong length of button pressing. It's a pretty understandable mechanic for controllers but not necessarily for M/K. So I wouldn't take it as granted that it will be the same in the final game, especially with M/K...

Last edited:
Let me remind everyone this is a UI Aesthetics thread, not a UI functionality suggestions thread.

Yes, but it's hard to separate that all the time. There is imo a strong connection between aesthetics and functionality. Especially if you count layout and general design to aesthetics. It's hard to speak about one element without talking about the other one as well... ;)

For the purposes of twitch based combat, I'm ok with the two functions tied to one key. They just have to calibrate it right and transitioning between, say, Ignii blast and Ignii flame should be seamless. Two keys for each sign might over complicate the interface. I usually prefer hotbars but all I need is to map keys and see the relevant icon, so the previous games did this just fine. On the monster info, I'd rather this was based on proximity and not region, as that would dampen the element of suspense while exploring as well as providing an unfair advantage to the player. We don't need an enemy radar

Last edited:
Yes, but it's hard to separate that all the time. There is imo a strong connection between aesthetics and functionality. Especially if you count layout and general design to aesthetics. It's hard to speak about one element without talking about the other one as well... ;)
Indeed there is a connection and connected, relevant things are being talked of in this very thread for the past 18 pages. Introducing a hotbar is clearly not in the same area as suggesting tweaks and enhancements to the solution already present without resorting to borderline semantical reasons.

A hotbar is not a mere aesthetical change, it's a complete game changer.

We don't need a hotbar. It's not an MMO. Just buttons bound for changing spells 1-5, and dedicated buttons for scrolling bombs and potions.

Secondary sign usage is handled another way trough it's own button (or maybe holding the sign button)? Anyway no need to butcher the screen for the sole purpose so they can say guys we have a special PC UI . Not that type of game. Even TW1 which was made on the NWN engine didn't have anything similar. Didn't need it

Who are the "we" you spoke of? Are you representing any group or party? So having a hotbar means it's an MMO? If you don't want it fine, you can turn it off. You don't have to make it those who want it can't have it. Is having an optional hotbar impair your experiences and make your life miserable?

Last edited:
A hotbar is not a mere aesthetical change, it's a complete game changer.
Well, at the core introducing a hotbar is not much else than re-designing or altering the already existing ring menu and making it visible during combat without the need to pause/slow down the game in order to select items/signs. So yes, it's a change of functionality but also a change of aesthetics. And imo it's also not a game changer, it just reduces the amount of clicks needed to perform an action, so it's basically an ease of use improvement. But I got the message. I will discuss the functionality matter elsewhere from now on. ;)

@archav3n Hey! Stop stealing my thunder, this is about my wants and needs. More, me.. me.. me..me please;)

So is this the place where I ask devs to think about giving players an on/off icon option so we can't see the loot/search/open/talk/gather brush wood/button prompt A/B/X/Y icons on screen anymore. I'm not a big fan of seeing those little white arrows or hands pointing down at stuff, followed by the stupid A button game pad icon.
Is this the right place to share some ideas about this? If so.. I would really like to only see that kinda stuff on screen, but only in witcher sense mode. I feel it looks out of place outside of witcher sense mode. I really hope devs give us players some Great ON/OFF HUD/UI Options for clean screen full immersion on all platforms when TW3 comes out. Now back to the UI prompts, if those have to be in the game no matter what. I think it is best to show us once and then stop showing us, or like I said give us the option to turn off the prompt animations in the pause menu screen after it becomes second nature to us. I know it's a little tiny thing, but as a long time console player I have been not only dreaming of a kickass mature adult rpg. I have also been waiting for the day that some cool devs not only make a game like this, but give us core gamers these awesome options for better immersion. I don't want to wait anymore, I really want to enjoy TW3 and it's Amazing art style the way I want to enjoy it.

Last edited:
Soo time for some direct beauty contest don t you think? XD

But yeah its subjective view and feel

This looks better View attachment 5728 than this one View attachment 5729

and THIS definatly looks better
View attachment 5730
than this
View attachment 5731

even this element here looks good
View attachment 5732

Sorry for the bad pictures but its only improvised to give you the whole idea what the "art" gurus mean here ;)
And don t tell me you can t see the difference between dusk and dawn in the TW1 timer!!!
Nobody is gonna believe you :p

Here is also some direct comparision between TW1 and TW2
http://thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.de/2013/05/the-witcher-vs-witcher-2.html

So CDPR if you get rid of all the artistical elements in order of "functionatlity"
the UI ll feel sterile and clean, consolish to and NOT SUITING in the witcher world
as the TW1 UI did.

But yeah i think its the switch between old school RPG and action RPG thingy... :/
As said i don t think a complete overhaul is need just bring back the TW1 touch.
Like i showed above ;) this counts even more for the skill tree we did not have
seen so far.... yet.

SO CDPR you have still 6 months to bring up a good
mixture of the examples shown above!!!!!

Attachments

• TW1_Medalion_3D.JPG
    TW1_Medalion_3D.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 32
  • TW3_Meda_WIP.JPG
    TW3_Meda_WIP.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 40
  • TW1_Meditation_timer.JPG
    TW1_Meditation_timer.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 38
  • TW3_Meditation_Timer.JPG
    TW3_Meditation_Timer.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 32
  • TW1_Alchemy.JPG
    TW1_Alchemy.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

To be perfectly honest with you, I found the Witcher 2 one better than both of those.

and THIS definitely looks better
View attachment 5730
than this
View attachment 5731

Nah, I like both in their own right, although I'd wish the Witcher 3 would have those "midnight"/"dawn"/"dusk"/"noon" symbols that can be seen in the meditation screen of the Witcher 1, because those are really beautiful showing the sky and having such nice colors.

View attachment 5732

Sorry, like TW2* one better.

Sorry for the bad pictures but its only improvised to give you the whole idea what the "art" gurus mean here ;)
And don t tell me you can t see the difference between dusk and dawn in the TW1 timer!!!

So CDPR if you get rid of all the artistical elements in order of "functionatlity"
the UI ll feel sterile and clean, consolish to and NOT SUITING in the witcher world
as the TW1 UI did.

But yeah i think its the switch between old school RPG and action RPG thingy... :/
As said i don t think a complete overhaul is need just bring back the TW1 touch.
seen so far.... yet.

I think I like some of the elements of TW3's UI more, but in the long run - IMO - the Witcher 2 is the best. I liked the wolf medallion, the item UI, the Minimap, the Health bar, the Meditation Timer, etc.

For Meditation I would take the one of TW3 and combine it with the small "pictures" of the corresponding sky The Witcher 1 had

For the Medallion I would take TW2 one and make it move if danger is nearby.
The Healthbar and Items are okay, although I hope we can make them a little bit smaller.
The Quest-Tracker next to the minimap has to go, hopefully we can toggle it off.
The inventory system with the grid-based system of TW3 looks good IMO, though the background could be a little bit more aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited:
@GHOSTMD I'll go with TW3. TW1 feels a bit too "loud", to me. Just... too many things, too many images, too much color. I much prefer the simplicity of TW3's style, so far.

and THIS definatly looks better
View attachment 5730
than this
View attachment 5731

View attachment 5732

as the TW1 UI did.

seen so far.... yet.

I'll go with Witcher 3 design in all aspects - it's much cleaner.
When I first played Witcher 1, I thought - very strange interface / main menu design indeed - overdone I would call it.

Top Bottom