TW3 UI Aesthetics

+
That is blatantly OT.
Go take your rant somewhere else. It is not relevant here in any capacity whatsoever.
Just because you think it's OT doesn't mean it really is. You're not a mod. If you don't care, feel free to ignore. I suggest you put me on your ignore list anyway since you seem to not like any of my recent posts and since you seem to feel a need to attack them at every ocassion with totally speculative accusations wrapped in nice sentences showing your intellectual level. Ignoring would probably be the better and time-saving solution.

And it's not true, that I haven't already said a lot about UI in this thread and in others. I even did detailled comparisons of the Diablo III UIs on console and PC and made a list of which points are imo important for UIs on different platforms. I refuse to make double posts of this earlier comments of mine. If you want to read them feel free to use the search engine.

I'll have a look. Would have been good to link to it in your post if you ask me.

Jupiter_on_Mars

Just because you think it's OT doesn't mean it really is. You're not a mod. If you don't care, feel free to ignore. I suggest you put me on your ignore list anyway since you seem to not like any of my recent posts and since you seem to feel a need to attack them at every ocassion with totally speculative accusations wrapped in nice sentences showing your intellectual level. Ignoring would probably be the better and time-saving solution

This thread is about UI aesthetics. There's not a single paragraph, sentence or word in your entire post dedicated to that subject. Because I take it that you know what aesthetics means. As far as I'm concerned, you're more than welcome to post here. I'm interested in your take on the matter. But I will definitely call you out whenever I deem fit, especially when you seem bent on hijacking the thread for the purpose of cloning your tirade.

Now, on topic.

Okay. (...)

I love the aesthetics of this. But I feel a clearer distinction between sea and land would make it even more appealing. Again, there seems to be a contradiction between the crosshair - somewhat evocative of pre-modern aesthetics - and the icons on the map which are very modern looking. This inconsistency seems to be a recurring theme in the UI.

Crosshair ( the two circles ):

Icons:

Last edited:
I love the aesthetics of this. But I feel a clearer distinction between sea and land would make it even more appealing. Again, there seems to be a contradiction between the crosshair - somewhat evocative of pre-modern aesthetics - and the icons on the map which are very modern looking. This inconsistency seems to be a recurring theme in the UI.

My take on this is that a UI is something modern per se which warrant sheer simple elements, in terms of type or icons. The written word at medieval times wasn't widespread and what only complex calligraphy. The icons ought to stay simple, esp. given their size. Middle-age didn't use icons, they are a thing of today – a medieval setting does not make it less a game of today.

Jupiter_on_Mars

My take on this is that a UI is something modern per se which warrant sheer simple elements, in terms of type or icons. The written word at medieval times wasn't widespread and what only complex calligraphy. The icons ought to stay simple, esp. given their size. Middle-age didn't use icons, they are a thing of today – a medieval setting does not make it less a game of today.

Absolutely.

I have always been of the opinion that the UI is a metaphor and thus not at all required to mimic in-game aesthetics or historical accuracy. Icons do look great and appropriate. it's that crosshair/lupe that seems out of place.

That looks amazing, although I still prefer old style of flashbacks. Pity you cannot check it out in game.

And I still think Witcher 2 should be a target for UI improvements, not Witcher 1 :)

Liked the UI of both games, liked TW2 more though (in terms of style).
As for TW3, a little bit simplistic. I love the style of the minimap and the symbols around it, the meditation/management screen looks nice could use another mid-background though IMO. As for the inventory, cool it's grids again.

A shame the swords are not shown in full size in the menu.

Well i really hope CDPR considers a different UI for PC after they read the threads :/
In my other posts i already stated how i feel about the shown UI in the current demo
of TW3.

For me it looks kinda "STERILE" and broken down to "FUNCTIONALITY" includes the
colour sheme, element shapes, and the non existing 3D elements from TW1
like meditation timer and the medalion (for example)

Once i again this directly for you CDPR:

Please overhaul the UI for PC Version of TW3 to bring it closer to TW1 style

PS:

http://www.iofp.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Der-gestiefelte-Kater.jpg?58196f

PLEASE?

@GHOSTMD
Let's be realistic, it won't happen. The UI we've seen in the demos is probably pretty close to what we'll get in the final version.

Last edited:
The UI we've seen so far hasn't blown me away. It looks functional, and I am genuinely glad that we have grid inventory, but overall, it feels uninspired. I could understand though if UI wasn't high in their list of priorities. I would be ok with what we've seen so far if they gave us the option to change colours and made sure the PC version had proper mouse support and other minor tweaks. The commentary in the 35min demo says we'll spend most of our time in the inventory screen, but in its current state, I don't think I would want to.

There might be small changes to the PC version, but I think what we saw is what we'll get. And it looks better than TW2 really. My only thing now is I don't want them overlaying text over text, or text over images. That was such a baffling design choice in TW2. The font should stand out from the background and be legible at all times. I also hope there's another font type mod for TW3.

Jupiter_on_Mars

Since we're discussing the aesthetics, here's my simplest 'problem' with the UI: I don't like the background color. :mellow:

Oh, and shaking 3D medallion (a la TW1) would be greatly appreciated.

Yup, I've said that much in the OP: I wonder what the brownish colour scheme is supposed to evoke? Fall, as in Geralt's Autumn?

There might be small changes to the PC version, but I think what we saw is what we'll get. And it looks better than TW2 really. My only thing now is I don't want them overlaying text over text, or text over images. That was such a baffling design choice in TW2. The font should stand out from the background and be legible at all times. I also hope there's another font type mod for TW3.

Text overlaid on the Griffon is bizarre, but the gravest problem is structural: there is no structure, no hierarchy, no focus.

I'd say we'll likely get something similar to this but am hopeful some specific issues will be addressed.

Maybe the backrground color could change depending on where Geralt's wandering. So white in Skellige, greenish in forests, brownish in swamps, etc. Maybe it's a horrible idea, but I think it would work.

Jupiter_on_Mars

Maybe the backrground color could change depending on where Geralt's wandering. So white in Skellige, greenish in forests, brownish in swamps, etc. Maybe it's a horrible idea, but I think it would work.

I recall them saying they were aiming for an «immersive UI». The statement is a bit puzzling, as the way I see it the only way the UI could eve be immersive was if it's an in-game asset, I. e., the map is actually an object you look at, etc., but nothing of the sort seems to be in TW3.

Does inventory really need that much screen space? If less info was displayed, maybe the latest screen grab could be shown alongside. That might force the colour scheme into more neutral territory, as it would have to fit in with just about every location and palette in the game.

In terms of UI functionality "operational" and "good enough" are never sufficient. If you're not taking active advantage of the control mechanics that a platform can offer, you are not optimizing your UI and experience for the consumers that use it on that platform.

I'll give you guys one of the (sadly) more common examples.

You're on a PC game, you boot the game up, and the first thing you're presented with is a title screen that states:

"Press [ENTER] to continue"

First, this is the equivalent of a splash page on a website. It does nothing more than slow you down to getting into the product. But secondly, and most importantly, the game simply will not accept anything BUT pressing the Enter key. No Spacebar, no other keys, no mouse clicks. This requires the average PC gamer to take their hands out of resting position, visually acquire the Enter button and press it. It's basically when a developer assumes that the ease of sliding a thumb over to press the "start" button on a controller gamepad should transpose just as easily over to PC by making the player press on a button that isn't adjacent to a resting position.

These are small enhancements to the UI, but that doesn't make them any less important. If you're going to make a product, you make it the best product it can be (within budget and time constraints). And, true enough, this means a couple core changes between the PC and console platform UIs.

As Letho said at the end of The Witcher 2, "I suppose there's no accounting for taste."

I'm personally very fond of the new UI in The Witcher 3.

Top Bottom