TW3 UI Aesthetics

+
Apple's design theories right now tout that ornamentation should be used to subtly accentuate aspects of the UI, and not be used for an overly gratuitous "art for the sake of art". Of course, this is subjective; it's nigh-on impossible to make everyone happy. That's never the goal of a good interface.
And art for the sake of art is just your interpretation. Other people would call it art for the sake of a consistent experience. Take your i-devices: they have a consistent design for both the product itself and its UI. It's all sleak and modern and fancy. That's not more professional than anything else just because it's something Apple has done. I even suspect that you find it professional because you're used to that kind of style from regular business presentations and Powerpoint slides.

The problem here is that the UI and the game itself are not consistent in terms of atmosphere and art. So it's not "art for the sake of art" but art for the sake of a consistent design. And no, I don't think that the UI aesthetics in place are a fitting contrast to the game.

And art for the sake of art is just your interpretation. Other people would call it art for the sake of a consistent experience. Take your i-devices: they have a consistent design for both the product itself and its UI. It's all sleak and modern and fancy. That's not more professional than anything else just because it's something Apple has done. I even suspect that you find it professional because you're used to that kind of style from regular business presentations and Powerpoint slides.

The problem here is that the UI and the game itself are not consistent in terms of atmosphere and art. So it's not "art for the sake of art" but art for the sake of a consistent design. And no, I don't think that the UI aesthetics in place are a fitting contrast to the game.

Apple preaches a methodology that does not subscribe to the belief of adding artistic elements to the design if they do not merit any aid to the UI. This is the core principle behind a minimal interface. Decoration, especially excess decoration, is noise, and the eye has to process a significant amount of more information to make sense of it, only to come to the realization that "This is just ornamentation, and provides use to me aside from decor".

It's not professional because it's Apple. That's post hoc ergo proptor hoc. It's like saying "All Xerox machines are photocopies, but not all photocopies are Xeroxes". One does not beget the other, but one can be the other. There are many companies out there which use similar principles in design to make very professional designs that are different from Apple. There are not hard and fast rules with art, it is subjective. But there are core guidelines that are considered generally accepted by a wide array of people. The more you leverage that into your designs, the wider the array of people you can use your design with a lower cognitive load.

BTW, I use Android (love my Samsung S5), and am on a PC, but have a MacBook Pro. I'm not some blind Apple aficionado. No company is perfect in that regard.

Apple preaches a methodology that does not subscribe to the belief of adding artistic elements to the design if they do not merit any aid to the UI. This is the core principle behind a minimal interface. Decoration, especially excess decoration, is noise, and the eye has to process a significant amount of more information to make sense of it, only to come to the realization that "This is just ornamentation, and provides use to me aside from decor".
I know the Apple design methodology. But you didn't get my point: this is not a tech product like an i-Phone. Apples and oranges...

Nothing in an Apple product is art. Design yes, art no. That's the core difference between a video game like Witcher and anything Apple stands for.

It's not professional because it's Apple. That's post hoc ergo proptor hoc. It's like saying "All Xerox machines are photocopies, but not all photocopies are Xeroxes". One does not beget the other, but one can be the other. There are many companies out there which use similar principles in design to make very professional designs that are different from Apple. There are not hard and fast rules with art, it is subjective. But there are core guidelines that are considered generally accepted by a wide array of people. The more you leverage that into your designs, the wider the array of people you can use your design with a lower cognitive load.
That was just my assumption, to make that clear. But you called the UI in place "professional" although you acknowledge yourself here that this is just another phrase since with art there comes subjectivity. If a video game UI would be about design alone I could agree on that but imo it's not just about design or layout.

Take for example the UI of Diablo 3 (again). Imo that's at least as professional up to the smallest detail as everything CDPR came up so far for Witcher 3 although it has a lot more ornamentation and stylization. Of course ornamention doesn't mean that you lose functionality and a clear layout, in this case it's just the almost perfect combination of art and design since that's what a video game UI IMHO should offer: art and design (as the game itself).

Ok you hype victims :D

you asked for, so time to show off some of my incredible CS2 skillz :p :p

TW3 mixed medallion:

View attachment 6455

and here the TW3 mixed meditation timer:

View attachment 6456

I know incredible aye? XD XD

Ok just amateurish and with little effort to be honest. But i think you get the idea what i meant with
a "good" mix up between TW1 and TW2 UI (specially for PC) ;)

Rest is up to CDPR developers to get us a nice UI right? ;) hope they read through this and overhoul
the UI seen in the 35 min demo.

So long

Attachments

• TW3_Meda_WIP2.jpg
    TW3_Meda_WIP2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 49
  • TW3_Meditation_Timer2.jpg
    TW3_Meditation_Timer2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 42
Don't really care about the second image (it looks awesome) but the first image... oh god, I want that! I want the vibrating 3D medallion hud element to return, it was so awesome in TW1!

Please make it happen CDPR!

Summoning @Marcin Momot so he can see this.

Don't really care about the second image (it looks awesome) but the first image... oh god, I want that! I want the vibrating 3D medallion hud element to return, it was so awesome in TW1!

Please make it happen CDPR!

Summoning @Marcin Momot so he can see this.

Summoned, I answer:)

I don't think the medallion will be shaking but, for example, it will indicate (it's still being worked on so I don't want to give you guys any details regarding the visuals) where to use Witcher senses.

I don't think the medallion will be shaking but, for example, it will indicate (it's still being worked on so I don't want to give you guys any details regarding the visuals) where to use Witcher senses.
Awww... the shaking 3D icon is what made it great for me... it was a great way of giving a visual representation of what would happen lore wise (better than the pulsating icon in TW2 IMO). Thanks for answering!

Why are developer too lazy to make different UIs to PC and Consoles?
No need to label them with some derogatory word. Especially without knowing the considerations for the decision.

I'm speculating that they don't want to half-ass some different UI, and perfecting one like they might like would demand too much time and resources. Is it worth it? Possibly. But many things are, as well. That's where they need to prioritize.

They don't have limitless resources, and apparently consider the identical UI still good enough as it is (this doesn't necessarily mean mediocre), to justify them leaving it be and focusing on other elements that aren't up to par.

Unless we know for certain that they're sitting leg over leg and slacking off with some coffee, calling them lazy is baseless and simply rude.

Ah, whatever...thanks for reply anyways.

Summoned, I answer

Ouhhhwww come on @Marcin Momot
don t tell me the designer have not something good in the back *sniff*
At last tell them or show them the way to go please *smirk*

Awww... the shaking 3D icon is what made it great for me... it was a great way of giving a visual representation of what would happen lore wise (better than the pulsating icon in TW2 IMO). Thanks for answering!

Thats why i choosed to mix it up, a shaking 3D medallion as indicator for magic and danger like in TW1 it is!
Not just a simple glow or highlightning or a combination of both.

I think the shaking would be closer to the lore and more suptile so you have active "listen" to the medallion

a glowing one would jump right into your face .... making it easier to recognize but thats not subtile at all :D :D

Time to tell the designers and developers we wan t a good mix between TW1 and TW3 (current) UI don t you think folks?
Put up a POLL!!!! heheheheh

I still wish for my gamepad/contoller to shake or pulse, when Geralts medallion goes off and while in combat.
I feel It's more immersive and fun, with less fake video gamey hud crap all over my screen.
;)<~ Winks

Last edited:

Jupiter_on_Mars

Ouhhhwww come on @Marcin Momot
don t tell me the designer have not something good in the back *sniff*
At last tell them or show them the way to go please *smirk*

Thats why i choosed to mix it up, a shaking 3D medallion as indicator for magic and danger like in TW1 it is!
Not just a simple glow or highlightning or a combination of both.

I think the shaking would be closer to the lore and more suptile so you have active "listen" to the medallion

a glowing one would jump right into your face .... making it easier to recognize but thats not subtile at all :D :D

Time to tell the designers and developers we wan t a good mix between TW1 and TW3 (current) UI don t you think folks?
Put up a POLL!!!! heheheheh

Ghost, I'd say different people want different things, which is fine. For example, from what I could gather, I'm in the minority here as I don't want them to veer towards TW1. Anyway, what sort of poll options would you like to have?
I can make it happen.

One thing I find a bit off-putting about the pause screen design is that it looks too much like TW2, I hope the come up with fresh new color schemes and looks for TW3

Just hoping it's more functional in this game and it works fully with M&K. As for aesthetics...yeh. Not a fan.

TW3 mixed medallion:

View attachment 6455

View attachment 6456

Ok just amateurish and with little effort to be honest. But i think you get the idea what i meant with

Rest is up to CDPR developers to get us a nice UI right? ;) hope they read through this and overhoul

So long

Seriously, this would be the BEST way to do it. Clean and at the same time artistic enough as well.

Will it also indicate when monsters (not animals mind you) and magic are close to Geralt?

THIS :D

One thing I find a bit off-putting about the pause screen design is that it looks too much like TW2, I hope the come up with fresh new color schemes and looks for TW3

Nah, I personally like this, I loved TW2's artstyle and colors in some places (although it could definitely also have used a little bit more TW1 elements, such as the colored times of day and the shaking medallion)

Last edited:
The UI looks more like TW2s than TW1s which isn't a good thing for obvious reasons and its really bad news for PC players. The only question remains: Will it be modable?

Nah, I personally like this, I loved TW2's artstyle and colors in some places (although it could definitely also have used a little bit more TW1 elements, such as the colored times of day and the shaking medallion)

Thats why i posted my "personal" mix of the idea, how it could be better than the current (demo) UI we have seen :p

The UI looks more like TW2s than TW1s which isn't a good thing for obvious reasons and its really bad news for PC players. The only question remains: Will it be modable?

If CDPR designers and devs are aware of this thread and the "wishes" of the people then a TW1 UI mod won t be necessary at all i think.
We all know they already aware of this thread ^^ i am sure Marcin Momot brought up the infos to them ;)

Unfortunatly in the latest demos there was not a change recognizeable UI wise.... :/

I still hope we gonna see some changes of the UI (at last for PC)

TW3 mixed medallion:

View attachment 6455

View attachment 6456

So long

I like this, but it has to be the new medallion style.
I hope my contoller shakes when it goes off.
I want to feel every hit and block vibrate taken or given in combat.
It doesn't have to be all crazy in your face constant vibrations, just map it with a mild fast vibration pulse for weaker attacks and blocks, and a stronger fast pulse vibration for the more heavy attacks and blocks. If others think gamepad combat vibration is annoying, or they simply want to save their controllers battery life well.. Fuck'em:) I'm Just kidding, just let them turn the vibration off.
Cool ideas man;)

I hope my contoller shakes when it goes off.

Well to be honest i wouldn t mind a force feedback option for the consoles... if the medallion shakes
to indicate near magic or danger.... it would be a nice addition i think.

To bad it would be very "practical" if the mouse begin to vibrate hehehhehe

But once again: WE NEED THE 3D SHAKING MEDALLION!!!! its just a must have! :D :D
and don t come with hue hue it will break the clean fuctional UI.... i already proved it would not!!!

Top Bottom