TW3 UI Aesthetics

+
WE NEED THE 3D SHAKING MEDALLION!!!! its just a must have! :D :D

The RED's have already stated on multiple occasions that the 3D Medallion is not coming back in TW3, sadly.

Our hope lies with Modders there, but frankly I'm not really getting my hopes up because it sounds like a tricky thing to mod, and nobody was able to do it for TW2. Unless the modding tools with TW3 are much simpler to use and making a change like that is much easier, but I'm doubting it atm.

The RED's have already stated on multiple occasions that the 3D Medallion is not coming back in TW3, sadly.

Our hope lies with Modders there, but frankly I'm not really getting my hopes up because it sounds like a tricky thing to mod, and nobody was able to do it for TW2. Unless the modding tools with TW3 are much simpler to use and making a change like that is much easier, but I'm doubting it atm.
That's sad. I loved the medallion shaking since it caught my eye more than it glowing a bit

Yes that was stated... but REDs also stated out that TW3 will be closer to TW1 than to TW2....

And i think that does not only apply to the "overall" dark & grim feeling of the world... and the music... i think that also applies to
the whole art style of the UI

That and there might be still time to bring such changes in, are the reason why i state THIS OUT :D
I also think a shaking 3D medallion as in TW1 wouldbe closer to the lore itself... than the glowing....

well.... 8 weeks to go CDPR ^^ until TW3 get in the final state hehehehe
Maybe REDs manage to get us an OPTION to activate / deactive console like UI?
Or we get a TW1 like UI withing 1 of those 16 DLC? hm? how about that CDPR? hehehehe

Still stay out that we need 3d shaking medallion , "nice" dawn, dusk, noon, midnight timer pics , more art like brewing "screen"

click me!!! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA1mbZ_MMh8 specially YOU REDs ^^ heheheheh

I personally, am not a fan of the WIP UI, although i'm sure it plays great with a controller.

I can only wish that the controls & inventory management work just as good (or better) with m+kb then with a gamepad.

Non related: been playing dragon age inquisition these last few days and i'm so dissapointed, they promised us a "pc game made by pc gamers" and the UI & controls for PC are a complete disgrace. You can clearly see that PC was an afterthought in the final release. Just something i wanted to get off my chest.

Yes, Dragon Age Inquisition is the ultimate best example why PC and console shouldn't have the same UI and menu structure (that of course involves both functionality AND design/aesthetics). The PC version of DAI really suffers from this unified approach that clearly favors navigation with a controller. The PC controls and the UI and menu navigation in Inquisition are probably 100% worse than those in Origins. That's what we PC gamers get when developers promise "the same experience on every platform"...

In reality, mouse/keyboard and controllers are very different and so should be the respective UIs if you really want to use them to their fullest potential without handicapping PC gamers.

Yes, Dragon Age Inquisition is the ultimate best example why PC and console shouldn't have the same UI and menu structure (that of course involves both functionality AND design/aesthetics). The PC version of DAI really suffers from this unified approach that clearly favors navigation with a controller. The PC controls and the UI and menu navigation in Inquisition are probably 100% worse than those in Origins. That's what we PC gamers get when developers promise "the same experience on every platform"...

Doesn't PC DA:I have an entirely different UI? Or is that just the HUD/Action Bar?

I know the Tactical View controls like ass apparently, but I was pretty sure I remember hearing that it had its own PC UI.

I still think a game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Resident Evil 4 are great examples of a UI/Inventory that can work for both M/KB & Gamepad. Apart from the lack of objects being rotatable, the Inventory & UI in TW3's Demo looked like it's going to function very similarly to those games. So it might just work, but obviously I would have a lot more faith if they were still doing an exclusive PC UI. Although since there's been conflicting statements on the matter, I end up in this position where I simply just have to expect the worst, and that leaves me with assuming it's now a universal UI and just hoping they make it work well enough on PC.

Just the action bar is different, the rest of the UI is completely the same and controls like ass with m+kb.

I agree with Deus Ex HR, great UI both on PC & consoles.

Just the action bar is different, the rest of the UI is completely the same and controls like ass with m+kb.

Ah alright. Well then agreed with @Scholdarr

Ultimately even DE:HR wasn't perfect, it had a couple of issues but it's one of the best examples I can think of when it comes to an almost completely universal UI between Consoles/PC. The biggest difference was the radial menu for weapon selection on Consoles, and I personally consider this one of those necessary changes.

Hopefully CDPR are going for that similar approach, a UI that works great on both systems, but definitely there's no need to keep it exactly the same. PC shouldn't have a radial menu, Map movement should be tuned better for the KB/M ETC.
Perhaps PC won't get completely its own UI, but it SHOULD still get a few changes based on what is going to work better with KB/M compared to Gamepad (Should being the key word, as stated in my last post it's likely this won't happen and we'll probably get the radial menu etc)

So... my lovely RED's

With the new DELAY how about the chances now we get a good MIX between current UI shown in TW3 and the old
TW1 UI???

Specially for the 3D Shaking Medallion? and the meditation timer ??? Are the chances better now we
get this? Maybe at last within 1 of the 16 announced DLC?

I mean it doesn t look that back just take a look back in the post i made a example...

PLEASE cdpr give us a good mixed ui style between TW3 and TW1

PS:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30248-TW3-UI-Aesthetics?p=1429918&viewfull=1#post1429918
for the lazy ones :p :p

just make it close to this way and let the medallion shake ^^ instead of glow and it ll be closer to the lore
:p :p

Although it may appear that a delay allows us to advocate for features that we believe are important, NOT doing so is the most important way we can contribute to the game being completed on time with high quality.

The term for demanding new features be added to a product that has already been scoped out, provisioned, scheduled, and rescheduled more than once is FEATURE CREEP. There is no better way to sink a project than to fail to defend it against feature creep, and then you would get no game at all.

Expect CDPR to push back, hard, against every suggestion to add anything that isn't already in the game. For the survival of the game, it is important that they do so.

Last edited:
Expect CDPR to push back, hard, against every suggestion to add anything that isn't already in the game. For the survival of the game, it is important that they do so.
Well, a perfectly working and well designed UI isn't really a "new" feature, it's an essential feature of every good video game. I wouldn't call that feature creep... ;)

Well, a perfectly working and well designed UI isn't really a "new" feature, it's an essential feature of every good video game. I wouldn't call that feature creep... ;)

A feature that is not as it is already designed, whether or not it conforms to your view or mine of whether it is well designed is most definitely feature creep when you're already past your initial release date.

A feature that is not as it is already designed, whether or not it conforms to your view or mine of whether it is well designed is most definitely feature creep when you're already past your initial release date.
Maybe, yes. But then again more time should be used well in order to make a better game overall. Making a better or improved UI is imo well spent time, feature creep or not. Especially given the fact that UI designers usually aren't the ones who are very deeply involved in the bugfixing process... ;)

Maybe, yes. But then again more time should be used well in order to make a better game overall. Making a better or improved UI is imo well spent time, feature creep or not. Especially given the fact that UI designers usually aren't the ones who are very deeply involved in the bugfixing process... ;)

"More time" is an illusion in this situation. There is only so much time as was budgeted in the delay request. Every man-hour of that time is spoken for, for work that is already absolutely required to release the game at all. There is not "more time", and placing any more requirements on the developers will not make the game better; it will make it worse.

Yeah, it's sad that current developers, including Reds, think UI isn't as important as gameplay. A good UI should have the same feature priority as the gameplay itself since UI is part of the gameplay.

It's almost exactly like releasing the game for multiplatforms that includes IPad. But now every platform has to conform to the weakest one, that is IPad. And in order to play the PC version you have to have a touchscreen monitor ("same experience for all platforms"). That's how I feel about all the latest AAA PC releases these days for the PC. We can no longer use KB+Mouse efficiently.

Even UI in the 90's are way better than the UI released 20 years later... really sad.

Yeah, it's sad that current developers, including Reds, think UI isn't as important as gameplay. A good UI should have the same feature priority as the gameplay itself since UI is part of the gameplay.

Non sequitor #1? How do you know they're not working on it? What Guy is saying, correctly, is that the statement "Now that they have more time, they should do additional things" is really, really bad project management. You and I and Guy have no information on what they're working on.

It's almost exactly like releasing the game for multiplatforms that includes IPad. But now every platform has to conform to the weakest one, that is IPad. And in order to play the PC version you have to have a touchscreen monitor ("same experience for all platforms"). That's how I feel about all the latest AAA PC releases these days for the PC. We can no longer use KB+Mouse efficiently.

Non sequitor #2. IPad?

Even UI in the 90's are way better than the UI released 20 years later... really sad.

Then if you were around in the 90's, remind yourself what happened to Wizardry 8. Wonderful game, they just kept on improving it until it was perfect. So it took four years before it was published and the developer went bankrupt.

Non sequitor #1? How do you know they're not working on it? What Guy is saying, correctly, is that the statement "Now that they have more time, they should do additional things" is really, really bad project management. You and I and Guy have no information on what they're working on.

I'm not replying to Guy here, but to the general topic at hand, TW3 UI. I was just giving a general opinion about this whole PC UI fiasco. And I do agree with Guy about the Project Manager and that's why I don't think a PC exclusive UI is even possible at this point.

And no, I never said that the PC UI is not going to be in the final product (or that they can't just add it later), but given the current development status it doesn't seem like so (and from their PR "same experience" and the gameplay demo and the way they're avoiding the question). With the delay announcement for optimization, the UI feature is even more dire. Adding an exclusive UI at this point in development is lot harder than if they already had it in the demo.

The Ipad analogy is just an extreme example of how you can neglect and downgrade a certain platform.

Then if you were around in the 90's, remind yourself what happened to Wizardry 8. Wonderful game, they just kept on improving it until it was perfect. So it took four years before it was published and the developer went bankrupt.

You're completely missing my point. You do not need to reinvent the wheel in terms of UI. Implementing a decent UI for the PC platform is NOT hard. You don't even have to implement complex UI like you would find in everyday MMOs or other PC exclusive RPGs. Those UI things should come standard and it shouldn't take years to come up with one, especially if they've done it before.

I know that it's not easy adding an exclusive UI. Multiplatform is not easy. I understand that. I just wish they prioritize the PC UI just as much as the gameplay. If there is no PC exclusive UI, then I think Reds is missing the priority here, neglecting their main/original fanbase, that is the PC gamers.

You're completely missing my point. You do not need to reinvent the wheel in terms of UI. Implementing a decent UI for the PC platform is NOT hard.

You're arguing a different point, Guy's response was specific to this
So... my lovely RED's

With the new DELAY how about the chances now we get a good MIX between current UI shown in TW3 and the old
TW1 UI

Implementing a decent UI may not be hard. Requesting feature change on a game while it's in its final testing will almost certainly lead to disappointment. Unless they're already doing it anyway, in which case there's no need to ask.

And you don't know their priorities except in the broadest terms.

I admit Guy N'wah brought up a valid point with his post. Still consider that CDPR already announced a own
PC UI once... and also take in count that mixing the actual UI (we ve already seen) with some nice looking parts
from the TW1 UI is not like inventing a complete own PC UI with new functions and new key mapping.

This thread is about the art style... and i still think (and stay to this opinion) that certain TW1 UI elements
should be in the final TW3 build. I also do not DEMAND those elements... i just ask how the chances stand
now to get those elements in the final build or with a DLC.

Though Guy N'wah look at the pictures i did upload, it is just crappy C&P with a little adjusting the sizes,
nothing more and it doesn t look that bad right? (at last i hope this) Though i know that make such things right
will take more effort than i put in, i think its still possible to do it.

Its all about to get the right "feeling" and CDPR already stated on several ocassions they they wan t to go
back to the TW1 dark feeling and art style... and i believe the UI is a important part to get in touch with this
"feeling"

So yes i understand when CDPR says... sorry folks we re bug hunting atm and we do not have the time and
manpower to take TW1 UI elements into TW3. But i still think at the end all those little things ll bother us.
Because CDPR (ofc) ll bring us a masterpiece of a game, or is trying it. No doubt TW3 has already the
dark feeling... story and world wise... now just the last details are still missed....

As example (yes i know i bore you) :D the 3D Medallion that is shaking instead of the plain glowing one
we ve seen so far... this UI detail would be so close to the books and even to TW1, it would already
make a huge difference... also the meditation screen... i uploaded that one to... also bad C&P work
with absolute no effort... and look how it turned out... does look better than the TW3 one we ve seen.
(i hope)

So again... i do not demand it... i just suggest those "little" changes ... for "coming closer" to TW1
And i just ask for the chances, because we got a huge delay.

So again... i do not demand it... i just suggest those "little" changes ... for "coming closer" to TW1
And i just ask for the chances, because we got a huge delay.

Worst case, if people are unhappy with it when they actually get to use it, I would hope it's something that they'd do in a fairly early patch. Because yes, I think it's important to have one that works.

And because that's how feature requests at this stage should be handled. Put to one side, do it later if it's still necessary after the game is launched.

And if it works fine, but could still be improved, then it would be down to the modders.

Top Bottom