TW3 UI Aesthetics

+
They don't owe us anything, but it would be nice if a developer for once didn't forsake its loyal PC players for console audience. Which I mean PC gamers get console UI, downgraded graphics, bad performance and dumbed down alchemy.

The Witcher 1's grid inventory system and alchemy was perfect, oh well.

They don't owe us anything, but it would be nice if a developer for once didn't forsake its loyal PC players for console audience. Which I mean PC gamers get console UI, downgraded graphics, bad performance and dumbed down alchemy.

The Witcher 1's grid inventory system and alchemy was perfect, oh well.

Please don t even try to bring this: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32644-Obvious-Downgrade discussion into
this thread here.

Its not about this... wishing for a UI closer TW1 is just a wish to change CDPR s design decision they made...
and we have seen in the gorgeous 35 min demo. And i am sure RED do not abandon their PC fanbase
not after they showed off something like the 35 min presentation.

Still i think using the UI like it is in that demo... is just a little bit "unsatisfying" for players they really like
the atmosphere and the look, so as the "feel" of TW1. Already stated... no need to complete change
the entire UI ... just bring up certain elements they are missed out in the demo and in TW2 ;).

Besides all that... Guy made his point absolute clear, bug hunting and optimization at this time
is more important than bring in "new" features... and in lack of any info about this... we can just
speculate if there will be an option for this... or if it comes with the final release or one of the DLCs...

Just like the whole alchemy "dilemma" ... also only speculations, because we don t have seen
anything so far... :(

anyway i still hope we gonna see some changes in a new presantation to *smirk*
Still have also some other questions they remain unanswered ... besides to this one here.

PS:
Time to bring up the answers CDPR heheheh

Last edited:
Please don t even try to bring this: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32644-Obvious-Downgrade discussion into
this thread here.

Its not about this... wishing for a UI closer TW1 is just a wish to change CDPR s design decision they made...
and we have seen in the gorgeous 35 min demo. And i am sure RED do not abandon their PC fanbase
not after they showed off something like the 35 min presentation.

Still i think using the UI like it is in that demo... is just a little bit "unsatisfying" for players they really like
the atmosphere and the look, so as the "feel" of TW1. Already stated... no need to complete change
the entire UI ... just bring up certain elements they are missed out in the demo and in TW2 ;).

Besides all that... Guy made his point absolute clear, bug hunting and optimization at this time
is more important than bring in "new" features... and in lack of any info about this... we can just
speculate if there will be an option for this... or if it comes with the final release or one of the DLCs...

Just like the whole alchemy "dilemma" ... also only speculations, because we don t have seen
anything so far... :(

anyway i still hope we gonna see some changes in a new presantation to *smirk*
Still have also some other questions they remain unanswered ... besides to this one here.

PS:
Time to bring up the answers CDPR heheheh

I remember when they announced the free 16 DLC's, they said that they had a team(s) working on it who weren't part of the Q/A testers and bug hunting teams. They must have had plenty of time but what do I know, I'm just a regular guy who doesn't know anything about game development.

Its rather strange times when PC UI is actually considered a new "feature" when it used to be something that was expected for PC ports. If TotalBiscuit were here he'd agree.

Last edited:
I remember when they announced the free 16 DLC's, they said that they had a team(s) working on it who weren't part of the Q/A testers and bug hunting teams. They must have had plenty of time but what do I know, I'm just a regular guy who doesn't know anything about game development.

Its rather strange times when PC UI is actually considered a new "feature" when it used to be something that was expected for PC ports. If TotalBiscuit were here he'd agree.

The game has a UI, whether you dignify it by calling it a PC UI or demean it by calling it a console UI. What it has, is the UI Feature. Any other UI is a New Feature.

Any change to the UI, to satisfy demands for a UI that persons not involved in specifying or developing the game, deem a suitable UI is, regardless of its merits, a feature that is not in the game now, requires change orders, design review, and updates to marketing materials, documentation, and other ancillary work. This work is much greater than the development work to implement a UI change. It is also untimely in the extreme, because if every engineer and artist capable of doing this work is not already working on fixes and ancillary materials, they would not have been granted the 12-week delay.

@Guy N'wah

Well content is locked anyway now, we can just hope REDs do their things right and the UI elements wont
"disturb" the whole dark and grim feeling of The Witcher 3. Guess i brought up THIS point more than once.
The transportation of this certain feeling you get in TW1 isn t only carried out by the quest, the music,
the landscapes... to a certain amount it is also carried by the UI it self. Yes by those little details... and that
is all i wanted to expess here... specially in the case of the Witcher Medallion...

It doesn t glow... it doesn t emit light... it shakes to indicate magic or danger... you know it... i know it...
its a very little detail and it might not bother most of the people out there they will start with TW3... but i assume
all who read the books and played TW1 and TW2 (where it was missed out) want this little detail there.

I believe that this is exactly as valid as your points you brought up here Guy N'wah.

But well as linked in the interview thread.... content is locked now... and yes bug hunting and optimization
is now more important, so we just can wait now and see how it ll work out.

Last edited:
As a PC gamer, I actually like the direction of the UI that CDPR took. It certainly looks better than TW2's UI in my opinion. While not as unique as the UI from The Witcher, I think that this UI will let me find what I need to find quickly. And let's face it, even as a PC gamer a lot of us like to sit back with the control pad sometimes in a lazyboy or on lie back on our bed and game. I know I do this sometimes.

As a PC gamer, I actually like the direction of the UI that CDPR took. It certainly looks better than TW2's UI in my opinion. While not as unique as the UI from The Witcher, I think that this UI will let me find what I need to find quickly. And let's face it, even as a PC gamer a lot of us like to sit back with the control pad sometimes in a lazyboy or on lie back on our bed and game. I know I do this sometimes.

No, I don't like to sit back with the control pad. Ever. Unless i'm playing with my emulators. I don't have the monitor size, the desire to use a controller, or the luxury.

No, we don't. Most core PC gamers still play with a dedicated PC monitor at a desk, using mouse and keyboard for the apporpriate games.

It's true that more and more people ALSO play on the big screen but that's just an additional thing. There should actually be two very different UIs for M/K and controller input. But I guess we only get the controller-optimized one because reasons. And you can have a quick look at Dragon Age Inquisition how that played out...

Last edited:
No, we don't. Most core PC gamers still play with a dedicated PC monitor at a desk, using mouse and keyboard for the apporpriate games.

It's true that more and more people ALSO play on the big screen but that's just an additional thing. There should actually be two very different UIs for M/K and controller input. But I guess we only get the controller-optimized one because reasons. And you can have a quick look at Dragon Age Inquisition how that played out...

Hence the reason why I said I sometimes like to sit back and use a control pad, and there are quite a few PC gamers out there who do it too. I mainly use KB/M myself as much as any other core PC gamer, but as we all know not all PC games play well with KB/M...Assassin's Creed comes to mind for instance. I have to two displays, one is a dedicated PC monitor. 27" 1440p display and I've an HDTV that I use primarily for movies. And for a desk, well, mate. I use a solid core door slab that's large enough to hold three monitors and a full tower, plus speakers easily! At any rate, I can more than comfortably sit or lay back in my bed and see everything just fine on my PC monitor to game. There should be two different UIs, but no developer is going to waste time and resources to make develop two separate UIs. Besides after seeing footage from Gopher Vids, the UI looks PC friendly to me, he even says as much. I don't have an issue with it, it looks simple and appears that you'll be able to do what you need to do quickly and get back into the game. If anything, perhaps a modder will redesign a UI that is built specifically for PC and that's it! I'm hoping that this game will get some great mod support!

As for Dragon Age: Inquisition that UI is just terrible, so you and I are in agreement on that!! It's even more frustrating how BioWare has truly yet to fix the clunky feeling of KB/M controls, forcing me to use a pad to get a decent experience, because as I've said, 95% of the time I play with KB/M. And to be fair neither you nor I have had a chance to play this game. So, why not wait until you play it for a few hours before just passing judgement. CDPR has yet to let us down, and I don't think that they will with The Witcher 3.

I did giggle a little bit at this, as my "tiny PC monitor" is somewhat bigger than my daughter's " 'big screen' TV"... though I do know TVs do come in much larger sizes (and costs). I just had visions of trying to see the TV to play on it from across the room.

Not a huge difference, but noticeable.
Yeah with that size of TV It would be hard to see details from the couch. I need to move my cable modem closer to TV, or run a really long cable to front room... Not sure why but wireless gets only one bar...

Yeah with that size of TV It would be hard to see details from the couch. I need to move my cable modem closer to TV, or run a really long cable to front room... Not sure why but wireless gets only one bar...

Try just shifting it a few inches one way or another... often you get constructive and destructive interference as the paths go around corners with near maximum and almost no signals right next to each other. Doesn't hurt to try anyway.

Top Bottom