TW3 upgrade for PS4 Pro?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more like Fieldcrab said, something around a AMD RX 470 (it has around 4TFlops, much like PS4Pro. RX 480 has 5.5TFlops) in terms of GPU, but even overclocked the CPU is not even close to last-gen Intel Core i5/i7 in terms of performance. In big cities like Novigrad and Oxenfurt that are CPU-Intensive areas, it would suffer to run to a equivalent of PC ultra settings even on 1080p.

Microsoft Scorpio is another story though , it will have a 6 TFlops Graphics card and not much is known about the CPU yet , but I believe they will push it around 3.0Ghz at least, otherwise it will bottleneck the GPU.

Really hoping for this. I know TWIII is a 2015 game, but given CD Projekt's devotion to its fans, not to mention their fairness and openness regarding DLC, DRM, etc., I would peg them as being the most likely studio to implement Pro support. I'm on my Platinum run for the game. Only have the Death March trophy left. My original plan was to tweet them a Platinum screenshot and ask nicely, but I figured I'd make an account, and give you guys some backup in this thread in the meantime.

I mean, if Shadow Of Mordor (a 2014 game, if I'm not mistaken?) will have Pro support, there's really no telling what range of games will have it. Then again, Monolith might just be making a sequel, and thus are probably doing it to remind folks of the franchise.

I realize this is just one man's plea (and basically port begging), but... A little while ago I was contemplating buying a PC for this game, having already bought it on PS4 and Xbox One (for a friend, who also fell in love with the franchise). Recommended it to two other friends, who also bought the game on PS4 and love it. I'm too invested in the Playstation ecosystem to buy another (thrice as expensive) gaming platform. PS4 Pro, however, I can definitely do. So uhm... Pretty please, CD Projekt? Your love and expertise regarding the franchise got me to buy and adore Sapkowski's novels, and I've already bought your game twice. Ordered the Season Pass on day one. I know it's a lot of work, and you're already doing Gwent and Cyberpunk, but a Pro patch would motivate me to get at least two more complete playthroughs out of it. REALLY hoping for this. Not being unrealistic with my expectations, either. Something roughly approaching Ultra settings at 1080p30fps would be more than enough. 4K upscaling will benefit this game either way.

Last edited:
After seeing Mass Effect Andromeda's tech demo using the PS4 Pro, I've pretty much decided that I won't be getting the upgraded console. It wasn't night and day or anything, and if you're asking me to shell out another $400, there should be a noticeable leap in visual fidelity. I could see how it would be a good buy for someone who doesn't already own a PS4. But for existing users? Not so much.

Just 1080p30fps with ultra graphics. I think it's possible, because of PS4 Pro GPU (something like rx480 - 2.3x stronger than OG PS4 GPU).
That's all i want.

It's still not as powerful as say, a 980Ti. I don't think a PS4 Pro could play this game on PC Ultra settings, at 1080p and give a steady 30FPS. Besides, even if I am wrong on that note, a PC at Ultra settings doesnt look THAT much different to the game at lower settings. I don't think anyone should expect to be properly blown away.

This game doesnt need Ultra setting for console. Current state is just fine, its a open world game an belive me frame rate will strikes back again if CDPR upgrades the visuals. Ps4Pro is still weak for this, but maybe they can add better LOD but thats all. But the priority is the smoot 30fps, big cities included.

Since GOTY is released, and it has all dlc and patches, I dont want download again 20gb for Ultra textures.

Last edited:
After seeing Mass Effect Andromeda's tech demo using the PS4 Pro, I've pretty much decided that I won't be getting the upgraded console. It wasn't night and day or anything, and if you're asking me to shell out another $400, there should be a noticeable leap in visual fidelity. I could see how it would be a good buy for someone who doesn't already own a PS4. But for existing users? Not so much.

You kind of need to experience it first hand. The footage given out to the press was already compressed. The jump from 1080p --> 1440p is already like night and day. Never going back to 1080p on PC.

You kind of need to experience it first hand. The footage given out to the press was already compressed. The jump from 1080p --> 1440p is already like night and day. Never going back to 1080p on PC.
I concur. Heck, even upscaled 1080p looks a lot smoother and clearer! I still remember playing games in 640x480, back in 1996. At this point, I don't even need full-on 4K to say: "this is the highest pixel count I'll ever need from now on." Sony's checkerboard/upscaling solution is enough for me, and it's more affordable than a PC.

I also get why that Sony conference seemed so low key. Livestreaming 4K HDR would benefit only a select few, and making their point over a 1080p non HDR livestream is fairly futile. They're counting on the people in attendance to propagate the message. As someone who watched the conference over his PS4, I was already impressed with what I saw. And that's currently a device without 4K output, so I technically watched 4K HDR footage that was downscaled to a 1080p Twitch livestream, then upscaled again to UHD on my mid-range 4K TV. It's a mess, but I saw enough of a difference to want it.

And let's not forget that the PS4 Pro will do more than just provide a resolution advantage. HDR, higher res textures, ... Sure, if you're rocking twin 1080s in a monster PC, it seems like a minor stopgap at best, but for people who enjoy the console ecosystem, and try to balance their budget with a noticeable increase in visuel fidelity, it's a sizeable difference.

Last edited:
I wanna say something about the new Mass effect demo at PS4 Pro.

I don't thing it's worth getting a PS4 Pro until Sony says, that at least titles that running on 30 fps on the PS4 will run at 60 fps at the new PS4 Pro.

The big thing is to get 1080p and smooth 60 fps on newer and if possible on existing games as well.

As not everyone has a 4K TV, and may not interested of buying on, for whatever reason...

-------------

Going back to Mass Effect Andromeda, the big question is - will it run at 60 fps?

The answer is definitely NO. The horsepower of the PS4 Pro is not enough for 60 fps at least not for that game.

Game producer Fabrice Condominas confirmed to Gamespot at the reveal that Andromeda will run at 30 frames-per-second on both PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Also he says that:

The PS4 Pro is more powerful than the existing model.

It is in theory capable of delivering higher frame rates, but that won't be the case here, apparently.

Some feature optimizations in the future could lead to better performance.

Also, Jason Connell of Sucker Punch Productions told GameSpot during a round-table interview that Infamous: Second Son and First Light's PS4 Pro versions will run at the same frame rate as the standard PS4 versions.

It remains to be seen - however, if Call of Duty:Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1's PS4 Pro editions will run at a higher frame rate than the regular PS4.

---------

Lastly I find it really stupid, that while PS4 pro has the ability to upscale games to 4K, doesn't include a 4K UHD Blu-ray player.

That doesn't make sense. You buy a console that can deliver 4K footage and you have not the ability to watch 4K movies?

So, if someone has indeed a 4K TV, he must go the way of buying an extra 4K capable Bu-ray player for a native 4K movie experience!

How stupid is that really?

--------

If Sony has the intention of not loosing gamer switching to PC, she should make a proper use of the PS4 Pro hardware.

It should be a switch (menu) for letting people decide if they wanna play at 1080p or 4K.

All existing games should be able to play at 1080p and a higher frame-rate than 30fps.

What the reason of having a 4.4TF compute unit, it you can make the most out of it!

Last edited:
@mark5916:

I mean no disrespect, but what PS4 Pro's "big thing" is, merely depends on the needs of the person buying it. Personally, I don't care about 60fps. If I get a smooth, generally locked 30 with amazing graphical features, I'm good. And let's be honest, consoles generally don't focus on framerate over image quality. id Software, sure. Battlefield, Call Of Duty... Even Halo 5 did it. But on the whole, consoles are NOT the place to go if you want a smooth 60 fps.

More to the point, as I'm sure you know, devs can make just about any game run at 60 fps. It's just a matter of making trade-offs. Resolution and AA are very expensive graphical features, and as such are usually directly opposed to framerate. A GTX 1060 or 1070, the PS4 Pro is NOT. BioWare chose to keep the framerate at 30fps (which is really all you need for a slower paced shooter like Mass Effect), and focus on graphical features such as resolution.

Regarding inFamous Second Son and First Light, by the way... You do realize those games generally ran at an unlocked framerate, right? I'm talking 40s, generally. For a big open world game with tons of pedestrian traffic, fast vertical and horizontal movement, fancy particle effects, etc., all the while being close to a launch title... That's not too shabby. Consoles will never be high end PCs, but when properly programmed for, you can squeeze A LOT out of the hardware.

Regarding Call Of Duty and BF... Those games already run at a general minimum of 60fps on console (and on PS4 Pro). You'd want them to go even higher on Pro? What for?

I don't exactly know what options a Pro owner will have, and to what extent games will decide for him/her when plugging the console into his/her TV, but Rise of the Tomb Raider, for instance, will offer three modes:

1) 4K HDR mode with all the bells and whistles (30fps)
2) 1080p high framerate mode 60fps (graphical settings toned down a bit)
3) 1080p highest settings (30fps)

So there's a pretty good chance most games will give you the option. That said, it IS still a console. If you want a wide spectrum of customization, the PC's more your thing. Consoles are aimed at simplicity and ease of use.

The 4K UHD Blu-Ray thing came as a bit of a surprise to me, but I'm assuming Sony did their homework, realized that physical media are no longer the dominant medium for consuming video content, and decided to exclude the drive, thus also bringing down the cost of the hardware, and the retail price of the console. For a device seemingly aimed primarily at delivering 4K content, it's a weird decision, but it makes sense from a certain perspective.

4.4 TF is all well and good, but some of the console's potential is also dependant on the hardware. PS4 doesn't have the best CPU, and they're merely upclocking it for Pro, if I'm not mistaken. You can get A LOT out of the Pro, but it still has its limitations. Hence why'd never even ask for a Witcher 3 patch that set the game at Ultra 1080/60fps. The most they can do is approximate Ultra settings at a stable framerate. However, this is CDPR we're talking about. I couldn't even believe what they wrung out of the PS4 the first time round. Hence why I REALLY want to see how they can improve the image quality for PS4 Pro. Any graphical upgrade to The Witcher 3 is a valid excuse for another playthrough to me.

Last edited:
that fake checkerboard 4k should be doable without much trouble i believe, same for HDR since the game already use HDR lighting, but anything beyond that is probably not gonna happen, like higher framerate or PC ultra settings, ther's not much of a difference between consoles and PC ultra anyways, the only thing being a higher view distances/lod(foliage) thats about it, PC and consoles looks virtually identical ( wich is a shame )

I'm not interested in the new console, and from what I have seen, there is nothing groundbreaking that would make me wanna toss my current ps4 for a console that supports a technology that is not even mainstream yet. Anyway there is the added investment of getting a new 4K tv to actually enjoy the visuals. Rite now I could buy four new current ps4 consoles for the prices being asked for those 4K tv's. While I do undestand ultra HD viewing will eventually become mainstream it's still gonna take a couple more years before many satalite tv services actually start broadcasting that format.

So so at this point in time, I'm not gonna be investing in the new console, only for it to be replaced two years later by a ps5.

I don't exactly know what options a Pro owner will have, and to what extent games will decide for him/her when plugging the console into his/her TV, but Rise of the Tomb Raider, for instance, will offer three modes:

1) 4K HDR mode with all the bells and whistles (30fps)
2) 1080p high framerate mode 60fps (graphical settings toned down a bit)
3) 1080p highest settings (30fps)

I don't thing there will be any options to choose from. It would be nice if it's true, so let's see what happens, maybe Sony has an ace up their sleeve.

-----------

After PS3, the PS4 came up.

Any normal person would thing (as it's far more powerful) they would at least be capable to deliver a constant 60fps.

But that was most obviously an illusion. 30 fps may be okay for Ratchet and Clank, or even for Uncharted 4 but to be honest, 60 fps would be a much smoother experience even on a console.

The side effects of 30 fps?

Play Fallout 4, and The Witcher 3 and you will realize that the console can't not even keep up with that.

Now Sony moved surprisingly to 4K. Was it her decision alone, or has it something to do with the new project Scorpio?

I mean, Sony must keep up with the competition, right?

So, the PS4 Pro is 3x times faster (or near to that) from the existing regular PS4.

There is no excuse, for not delivering at least a 1080p 60fps experience.

I know that developers prefer a visual galore over frame rates. And I'm fine with that. I would do the same.

But if a game can't keep a steady 30fps, the game is problematic.

I would gladly accept that, on the existing PS4, but that shouldn't be a problem with the new PS4 Pro.

However If that's the case on the new Pro, then Sony has done a lousy job, really...

--------

And if you don't remember, no gamer really asked for an 4K experience in first place. And to be precise, we talking about an up-scaled experience here.

Almost everyone wanted a Full HD gaming experience, without any compromises on performance.

PS4 couldn't deliver that (in most if not all open world games), and if the PS4 Pro cant keep up with that too,
then YES - in my opinion the Pro is a failure!

--------

And the mess continues even further.

Sony (and that's related to Sony and only Sony), can't even manage to make Mods working on his Console.

So, if someone has the intention to buy the most powerful console right now on the planet...YES that's the Pro

...as Scorpio is a project in papers only, and there is nothing substantial about Scoprio as we speak,

HE/SHE will not be able to use mods, neither on Fallout 4 or Skyrim SE, and most probably in any other games that can

be played with mods.

So, how cool sounds that to you! ;)

Last edited:
@mark5916:

I'm just going to reply to your post point by point. Hope you don't mind.

I honestly don't think "Any normal person would expect 60 fps." Most people (that I've known) who buy consoles don't think too long and hard about res, framerate, etc. They just want a nice-looking game that plays decently. Hobby-ists (like us) tend to desire smoother framerates and higher res, better AA solutions, etc. Like I said before, 60fps is the exception on consoles, not the norm. Most people seem to be fine with that. It's how it's always been. Not that I would mind if they included a 60fps option, but I'm perfectly fine with 30fps. Otherwise I'd still own a gaming PC. Devs just tend to go for 30fps on consoles in order to maximize the game's prettiness. It was the case for PS3 and PS4, it'll be the same for Scorpio and PS5.

The Witcher had its share of framerate issues in Velen's foggy marsh areas, but most of that's been taken care through their rigorous patching process. I'm grateful to CDPR for putting so much time and effort into that.

Fallout 4 is a Bethesda game. All Bethesda open world RPGs have had a wealth of issues on consoles, from framerate to glitches to outright game crashing bugs. Remember the mess that Skyrim was on PS3? It got to the point where they were debating the possibility of cancelling/delaying DLC for that version. It's a developer problem, it's not the console's fault (although the Cell architecture was notoriously difficult to code for). Simply put, Bethesda's engine sucks. They should either have toned down the graphics (which aren't that impressive to begin with), or spent a longer dev cycle on the game. That said, Bethesda's games are huge, and they can't test every single possibility. QA costs would be through the roof. I personally don't like their games very much, so I generally just shake my head at the fact they haven't switched to a better engine, and leave it at that.

Personally, I'm not the slightest bit interested in mods. It's really cool for people that love them, but again, it's a very typical advantage and selling point for PC gamers. My answer is simple: if you want mods, you'd be better off gaming on a PC. It's an open platform, and it scales better. Consoles are closed systems. They're not intended to support mods. It's awesome that Xbox One included it, but it's a feeble attempt compared to the variety and possibilities you get on PC.

PS4 Pro is not a reactionary move. They planned it way in advance, and they'd probably have done more to counter Microsoft's Scorpio specs had their hardware configuration not been locked down already. There was an AMD conference call about it. There's tons of reports about it on the net. Their major advantage this time is that they're coming out a year ahead of Microsoft, sadly with about a third less power than Scorpio. Either way, designing a console and balancing its hardware for power consumption, heat, capability and (in this case) compatibility with existing games takes YEARS. Heck, I might even get Scorpio when it comes out, assuming that PS5's not launching a year after or something. I'm really impressed with Microsoft's drive to catch up and take the lead again. I just hope they're able to keep it all going. They have Play Anywhere, Early Access, multiple console SKUs, back compat... That'd better be part of a sound strategy.

I won't dispute that the PS4 could have been a lot more powerful. I'm all for powerful hardware. But it has to be affordable, it has to support a wealth of features, and it has to be easy to develop for. I'm happy with the limited leap in power that PS4 Pro represents, happy enough to get the console on launch. Devs will decide what to do with its 4.2 TF. Games will look great either way. But the highest framerate will not be a primary concern, as usual. Look at Wolfenstein: The New Order. Game looked quite okay, but it had some low res textures and flat lighting overall. It was a crossgen game, built on idTech 5. However, it ran at a solid 1080p60 fps. And yes, the new DOOM does too, but that game's also a fairly linear shooter.

It all depends on what you want to do with your game, how you're developing it. Sandbox games that continuously stream in huge worlds will NOT run at the highest res while maintaining 60fps on a console. Not if you're looking to maintain impressive visual fidelity in textures, lighting, AA, etc. There's a limited power pool. Allocate its available resources according to your vision, and optimize as you see fit. That's the basic philosophy of game development. Personally, I thought The Witcher 3 ran beautifully on PS4, given the richness and vastness of its open world, not to mention the gorgeous graphics.

Lastly, don't forget that this half-step iteration is fairly uncommon in the console space. Last time they tried to upgrade existing hardware mid-cycle, we're talking rumble packs, memory packs, and of course, the timeless classic... stacks upon stacks of SEGA hardware (32x and whatnot). Sony are trying to bring better graphics to the table while avoiding splitting the userbase AND maintaining compatibility between the systems. This stuff is hard.

You're mentioning all these generalizations: "Everyone wanted a Full HD gaming experience, without any compromises on performance." I get the underlying thought, but this is still a console, not the be all and end all of gaming. Most people I know don't care how many frames they're getting. They like the games they're playing. When the framerate starts to dip into AC Unity levels, THEN they'll have something to say. But as far as I know, most people who bought Sony's console are perfectly happy with what they got. I'm going to reiterate this: if you want 1080 60fps, the PC's still your best bet. The PS4 Pro is, first and foremost, aimed at 4KTV owners.

And there's already quite a few affordable 4K TVs out there. You can get a decent size, quality 4KTV for 600-700 euros nowadays. I admit that I was originally a bit baffled by how fast they were bringing this thing out, as most people are probably still gaming on a 1080p TV. But going forward, 4K sets are going to be the majority of TVs offered and sold. So in that sense it's good that they're anticipating, and good that they're not holding PC gamers back, I guess. They want to keep up. They want to improve graphical fidelity, within the same console gen. But they have to be able to sell their system at a decent price. In 2016, that means an upclocked CPU and 4.2 TF.

It all sounds pretty cool to me. :cool: I'm looking forward to better graphics within the same console ecosystem, and I'm perfectly okay with the lack of mods and a decent 30fps.

But I DO want a Pro patch for The Witcher 3. I'll welcome just about ANY graphical upgrade for that game. :yes

Last edited:
WoW, that was a long post. lol

Well, then i can only say, or wish: Have fun with your New PS4 Pro console, if you have the intention to buy it of course.

I just bought a PS4 C-Chassis, and I'm very happy with it.

It's a very quiet console. That's the main reason why i bought it anyway.

I thing PS4 has a lot more to offer!

----------

> But I DO want a Pro patch for The Witcher 3. I'll welcome just about ANY graphical upgrade for that game. <

I hope so. This game deserves the best possible "treatment"! :yes

PC and consoles looks virtually identical ( wich is a shame )

You speak truth! It is probably the greatest disappointment of this game. Especially since CDPR allowed so many pre-orders to go ahead based on original footage. How they handle Cyberpunk will be very telling as to how this company now operates.

I have many doubts about CDPR now. They are amazingly talented and make amazing games but, that was never their biggest asset...for me at least.

I was under the impression that 1080p and a completely stable 30fps is already a monumental achievement for the PS4 version of this game? I'd say 60fps might be doable at 1080p. You should all totally forget about 4k, guys, way too much effort and it will end up a stuttery mess. PS4 Pro hardware is overrated.

I was under the impression that 1080p and a completely stable 30fps is already a monumental achievement for the PS4 version of this game? I'd say 60fps might be doable at 1080p. You should all totally forget about 4k, guys, way too much effort and it will end up a stuttery mess. PS4 Pro hardware is overrated.

The game has several drops in Novigrad related to the weak CPU. Based on this, one could assume that a 50% bump in CPU clocks with the same cores won't allow you to achieve 60FPS. More like 40FPS in Novigrad.

The best way to go would be upping the settings and locking at 30FPS.

WoW, that was a long post. lol

Well, then i can only say, or wish: Have fun with your New PS4 Pro console, if you have the intention to buy it of course.

I just bought a PS4 C-Chassis, and I'm very happy with it.

It's a very quiet console. That's the main reason why i bought it anyway.

I thing PS4 has a lot more to offer!

Yeah, I admit that post was a bit too extensive, haha. Thanks! I wish you the same with your PS4, of course. Whichever version we opt for, the PS4 remains an excellent console.
You're currently better off than me in the loudness department, that's for sure. :) My launch PS4 often sounds like a jet taking off, lol. Then again, it's served me loyally for quite a few years already.

> I hope so. This game deserves the best possible "treatment"! :yes <
Amen to that!

@Fieldcrab

@release_15

Have you guys had a chance to see the PS4Pro live in action? Is the visual upgrade substantial enough to merit the cost of entry? It's very hard for me to tell because I'm watching the console reveal on a very old and very low resolution TV. If you can actually see a decent jump in graphical performance, I might go ahead and get it. I was going to purchase a 4K TV in the near future anyways. Honestly, I do think buying a console upgrade every 3 years or so is still a heck of a lot cheaper than PC gaming. Back when I had a gaming rig, I would swap out the video card once every several years, and that would typically run me about $300, which is close to the ask for the PS4 Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom