TW3 vs DA:I [SPOILERS]

+
Dragon Age: Inquisition was pure mediocrity. The story is more consistent than Dragon Age 2's, but that isn't saying much. It's still a mess with no sense of pacing whatsoever. There's no real feeling of a threat; the villain is incompetent at leading his forces. The Inquisition manages to be slightly more competent than him, leading to a total victory against his forces in pretty much every situation (Fuck, even HAVEN could be considered a victory). There are various inconsistencies that bother me so fucking much like Red Lyrium being place all over the world because "cool glowy shit" even though it's been established that this shit makes you go insane just by being near it. Seriously, the main villain has a living ore that he grow anywhere. This ore corrupts the minds of others and since it can be grown just about anywhere, this gives him a huge advantage. You'd think that the Lyrium would be little more than world props, but NOPE. It's just a pretty thing to look at :)
Companions aren't very complex. They're as basic as can be and the only companion with any sort of noticeable internal conflict is fucking Blackwall. A single companion. Aside from that, Sera is a literal cringefest and I can't understand how anyone could possibly like her/find her interesting/find her anything but boring.
The War Table is a joke. Please fire whoever designed that garbage Bioware because it just adds on pointless padding to a game filled with a lot of pointless padding. Waiting more than a day to complete a single objective? Sure sounds like quality fun Bioware, great idea.
I have a lot more to complain about, but I'd prefer not to write a book in this thread. Witcher 3 is better in every single way.

Come to think of it, a witcher and a grey warden is quite similar in a way, they undergo a ritual/process and might come out as a corpse or gifted with abilities.
(I think very highly of grey wardens when I played DAO, but suddenly they became not so important anymore or even criminals.)

I don't think that Witchers and Grey Wardens are alike at all. If anything, they're really different. The only 'abilities' that a Grey Warden gets is the ability to sense Darkspawn and subsequently the eventual corruption by the taint. That's nothing like a Witcher, who ends up with enhanced senses and metabolisms and are thus faster, stronger and more durable than 99% of the population.

If anything, DA:I rammed that point home with a sledgehammer, that really the Grey Wardens aren't anyone special. They're only tolerated because you need someone with the taint to kill an Archdemon and end blights. You want lots of them because they're nothing special and thus potentially lots of them would die in any attempt to get at an Archdemon. They decline in numbers because of the large gaps in time between Blights. Contrast this to witchers, whom are declining in number despite being superior to humans because as human civilisation becomes more established (larger empires, more technological advancement), ordinary people become increasingly able to deal with monsters.

Hm, 126 hours TW3 near the end, and I'm already planning a second play through one side, and ~100 hours in DAI plus DLC, and I probably will never touch it again, on the other... the verdict is clear to me. Seen as a series, DA and Witcher had quite the reverse progression, with DAO by far the superior game to TW1, and TW3 by far the superior game to DAI... seen overall, BioWares version of the "evil" Lord of the Rings did fail as a setting and story, for me.

...also, Yen and Triss are the more original Morrigan and Leliana. ;)

DA:I was just one of the most frustrating games I have played in years. At the core of the problems is UI. In fact pretty much all my problems come from the UI.

UI
Oversized. ALL THE LORE IS IN CAPS (seriously who on earth could have thought reading white CAPS on black background would be a good thing, especially when its pages long). The awful oversized loot window. The really bad crafting and menu systems. windows within windows, within windows. everything It looked like a placeholder until the UI designer actually arrived, only they didnt. Everytime I start playing and loving the story the UI reminds how terrible it is to use and look at.

Sure Witcher UI needs work but it looks like an artist actually designed in graphically. It looks like a work of art, sure it misses a few things (like sorting HINT) but its readable and pleasant and logical (i play on 55' tv on pc with controller).
THE WORLD

DA:I has some nice moments but its world feels lazy. it feels generic and artificial. It fells like a constructed computer game world. Deisgn wise once agin it feels lazy. Its castles etc look like they were deisgned by people who have only seen castles in books.

Witcher feels like a world. It feels like someone went out in nature and took pictures and notes. I am simply in awe of the visuals and quite happily sit there and watch a sunset or walk slowly to a destination. Its castles and towers dont feel generic it feels like someone has spent year in and around their influences, its the little details like paint on the wall, the tiny physically construction parts of some buildings can be seen in many places all through europe.

STORY
Dont get me wrong DA:I is pretty amazing in this respect. But it was largely forgettable in the sense its like a good tv show. it kills the time, does a great job of distracting you but a week later you forget.

Witcher. Words truly fail me. Every single quest is memorable, so many of them never ever go the way you think they should. Much like the books.

COMBAT
DA:I this is a game where a rogue can only ever had a bow or daggers, they cant possibly use both in different circumstances, in the same fight. There one little thing pretty much sums up the whole experience. Over simplified to the point of lameness. The combat in Origins was 10 times the game this became. And yes its consoles fault. (note I am a proud PS4 owner) To say nothing of the camera lock so you couldnt even see the battle field (and you cant even see the mobs through all the effects)

Witcher. it is brutal and simple. Sure it is not without its own short falls but it does what it sets out to do. So whether or not you like it, is beside the point.

Last edited:
your thread makes me think if both company combined into one game, it would be the perfect game without a good villain.

The romance part is highly debatable seing as a straight guy all i can get is a friggin NUN basicly ended that kind of fun for me in DA:I

You can get fun Spanish girl and Sexy Hot Knight.

So there's that.

---------- Updated at 02:11 AM ----------

Both suffer in pacing but I think that DA:I is worse because of the power system and uninteresting side/fetch quests

DA:I had more equal and fulfilling romances (CDPR went a bit lazy in that department especially with Triss) but the LI's were not the best in my opinion (Cassandra and Josephine for me as a straight male were underwhelming after the likes of Leliana and Morrigan)

And they both suck in politics, how was DA:I better?

The Inquisitor can affect the world via the Overboard, make a lot of decisions which affect the way the world develops, and decide who is crowned ruler of Orlais with a really fun mission.

I think that it blows Witcher 3's handling of politcs out of the water.

your thread makes me think if both company combined into one game, it would be the perfect game without a good villain.

Meh, only if CDPR has the story and setting direction, as well as writing, since BioWare lost all the talent they once had in that positions... one simple has to compare Baldur's Gate 2, or even DAO to DAI to see that clearly. BioWare got lazy and forgot how to innovate... they only produce cookie cutter, save bet material these days

Hm, 126 hours TW3 near the end, and I'm already planning a second play through one side, and ~100 hours in DAI plus DLC, and I probably will never touch it again, on the other... the verdict is clear to me. Seen as a series, DA and Witcher had quite the reverse progression, with DAO by far the superior game to TW1, and TW3 by far the superior game to DAI... seen overall, BioWares version of the "evil" Lord of the Rings did fail as a setting and story, for me.

...also, Yen and Triss are the more original Morrigan and Leliana. ;)

Yeah I agree with you on the reverse progression
DA:O is still one of my favourite games but damm did the series go downhill after that, DA2 was rushed as hell but at least it still felt like DA
DA:I on the other hand was mostly bad

TW1 I didn't like as much as DA:O, TW2 already was on a whole other level than DA2
same with TW3 and DA:I

Its as if CDPR is in an entirely different league than Bioware these days

Last edited:
Meh, only if CDPR has the story and setting direction, as well as writing, since BioWare lost all the talent they once had in that positions... one simple has to compare Baldur's Gate 2, or even DAO to DAI to see that clearly. BioWare got lazy and forgot how to innovate... they only produce cookie cutter, save bet material these days

I think DA:I blows Origins out the window.

The Inquisitor can affect the world via the Overboard, make a lot of decisions which affect the way the world develops, and decide who is crowned ruler of Orlais with a really fun mission.

I think that it blows Witcher 3's handling of politcs out of the water.

...and what does it get you? Some points you can spend on useless stuff. Considering Wild Hunt is not a game where politics matter much, it still does a batter job at showing the world changing based on your decisions.

DAI is a prime example for: Wanted to do too much and ended up with something overall lacking... TW3 did not make that mistake.

I think DA:I blows Origins out the window.

How exactly? With it's nonsensical story or it's boring characters?

Last edited:

Origins is one of the most generic copypasted stories of fantasy.

Orcs are attacking and the King is killed by a Usurper!

Inquisition--much much better story about faith, symbolism, lies, and power.

The problem, of course, is Origins had Alistair, Morrigan, and Leliana carrying the game so people assumed it was great rather than good.

:)

The combat. DA:I it was at least entertaining where as Origins played like a single player version of a grindy Korean MMORPG. It was repetitive, easy and bland even at the best of time. If it wasn't for the story and the fact you could go do something else and let the PC battle by itself I'd have never finished the game

Whatever. Never understood why it always has to be "versus". Both are great games and are an immense amount of fun and neither game game can detract from my enjoyment of the other. If you can't take each game on it's own to enjoy them both then you're just, I dunno, suffering from fanboyism.

Wild Hunt is awesome. Inquisition is awesome. And both will definitely be getting at least one more playthrough from me.

The problem, of course, is Origins had Alistair, Morrigan, and Leliana carrying the game so people assumed it was great rather than good.

:)

Actually DA:I is also just the same old generic saving the world story (like DA:O) only executed in a much worse manner (with a terrible villian who gets owned at every
opportunity, I mean the Archdemon while generic was at least powerful, Cory is just a wimp)

Symbolism? lol Have we played the same game?

It could have been, true... problem is: It wasn't. Sure, DAO's story was quite generic, save-the-world fair, but it was well executed. DAI's story tried to be more, but still had to cram that Coripheus storyline in there. If they just had sticked to the Templers vs. Mages conflict, it would have been a much better story, and they could have gone much further into the politics side of things. Basing the main villain on an unimaginative DLC character was just... you know? Don't get me wrong, I liked the whole: "storming the heavens" idea, but it got totally lost in a game that already tried to do too much.

Also: The DA world is just too boring and generic... it's novelty had pretty much already worn off after DAO.

...and yes, of course DAO had by far the better characters. They should have just kept them front and center for DAI too, and the game would have been a whole lot better. Personally, I could have managed without Thane... err, I mean Cole (;)), Dorian or Bull.

Last edited:
Whatever. Never understood why it always has to be "versus". Both are great games and are an immense amount of fun and neither game game can detract from my enjoyment of the other. If you can't take each game on it's own to enjoy them both then you're just, I dunno, suffering from fanboyism.

Wild Hunt is awesome. Inquisition is awesome. And both will definitely be getting at least one more playthrough from me.

You think both are great games its not a fact, why not compare the games especially since they are quite similiar in some aspects?

Wild Hunt is awesome and Inquisition is medicore at best in my opinion
And that doesn't have anything to do with fanboyism I'm a huge fan of the DA series

Well I have a lot of hours in DA:I, nearly 450 between my 3 play-throughs. There are a lot of things I enjoy about the series and the game, that said I have enjoyed the Witcher series a lot more.

Dragon Age has always stroke me as a adolescent trying to act like an adult. It has some very good qualities, though sometimes it is just childish and predictably cliche. Witcher has its faults too, but it lives in a more adult world with more believable characters, at least for me. The story-telling is better, the side quests are night and day better, and the combat feels more believable. I will play both games again, they are both good. Wild Hunt however has raised every bar there was to raise in RPG standards, I think every other RPG will be playing catch-up for some time.

luc0s

Forum veteran
The Witcher 3 has better characters.

Dragon Age: Inquisition has better pacing, politics, and romances.

Tough call.

I don't agree that DAI has better politics. I think TW3 wins in that department as well. In DAI the politics are so over the top. TW3's politics feel more down to earth and real.

Though I do feel TW3 greatly simplified the complex political landscape that TW2 set up. I'm a little disappointed by that. The politics in TW2 were hands-down the best politics I've ever seen in a videogame.

As for romances: I think TW3 wins there as well. The romances of DAI felt quite juvenile in comparison to TW3's romances.

Top Bottom