TW3 vs DA:I [SPOILERS]

+
To be a truly GREAT game I think Dragon Age Inquistion needed fewer zones, and more choices like the Templar-Mage choice. The Grey Warden and Orlesian Empire choices sorta half-assed it I thought.

If the Hissing Wastes, Forbidden Oasis and Exalted Plains had been exchanged for deeper and more engaging side-content, that would certainly have made a difference. To understand DAI shortfalls, i think one has to look to the adaptation of Frostbite 3 and the requirement to develop and cater to last gen platforms.

DAI is not a bad game, but I expect DA4 to be better and TW3 has certainly raised the bar when it comes to side content.

I can play The Witcher 3 smoothly with medium textures and some ultra options.

I can't even start DA:Ι because it's hard coded not to run on dual cores.

The winner is very obvious to me.

Both franchises went open world with their third installment

So for people who played both, which one succeeded? Which game is better?
No Bioware vs CDPR wars please lets talk about the games

Honestly after playing TW3 I doubt I can ever go back to DA:I, the latter feels so lackluster and medicore compared to TW3
I wasn't as disappointed with DA:I (when I played it for the first time) as I'm now (after playing TW3)

You are trying to compare a single entity 2nd person game against a group orientated game? The two cannot be compared very well really. They are two completely different things. Both got things right and both got things wrong.

Anyway my comparison:

What DA:I did better:
Save Import and Cameos (TW3 failed here imho, our TW2 choices sadly meant nothing)
Not as standalone as TW3 (TW3 is too simplified for newcomers, DA:I had better continuity)

For positive things, you actually used a negative to support your conclusions? A bit underhanded and very telling ;)

What TW3 does better:
Story (DA:I was just your typical saving the world cliche story)
Side Quests (especially these were just lazily done in DA:I, its like they didn't even try, go fetch me my ring powerful Inquisitor!)

Both are brilliant stories and great games but there is no doubt that the story telling in TW is second to none. The sheer fact they go a bit beyond the pale will endear it to a wider audience (or at least younger). I know people who play DAI who won't play TW because there is too much bad language. That's not a negative, just a statement of fact. Those people tend to be older.

Protagonist (Inquisitor is just boring, Geralt is awesome)
Female characters (Triss, Ciri and Yen just own Cassandra, Sera and Vivienne)
Open world (DA:I's areas are just lifeless whereas TW3's areas have an incredible atmosphere)
Combat (just way more fun here)

Saying Inquisitor is boring and Geralt is awesome is just pure fanboy. Nothing more or less. They are two different types of character. One is whatever the player wishes him to be, the other is what the player fits into.
Sorry, Sera was the best female in either of them. She has the wit and banter and appeals very much to my sense of humour. I completely disagree on the female.
The styles of worlds are very different between the two. I actually prefer the look of DAI. Although TW is great with distance.

I think both failed in terms of villians (Corypheus and Wild Hunt were kind of generic)
Overall TW3 is clearly the better game, CDPR put a lot effort and "heart" into it

Bioware just got lazy while developing DA:I (damm those side/fetch quests) and tried to appease everyone and in the end we just a very medicore (not bad just very meh) game

lol and the 3rd line in your post? "No Bioware vs CDPR wars please lets talk about the games" ;)

I just hope it's that way with DA:I because all resources went to the next mass effect game. It's the only game I can think of that still owns TW3 in story and writing aspects.

I like both , they deserve praises of their own. TW3 is a great game, DA:I is also a great game, but I like TW3 a bit more. Choices in DA:I is HARD, in TW3 it's so subtle I don't even feel too much pressure when I have to decide something, but with DA:I sometimes I have to read spoilers so I won't get the worst outcome. Or keep a hardsave, explore by myself, then read spoilers to check whether I did it right or not, that's not a fun way to play but it's better like that than have to do an immediate replay while I don't have the luxury of time to spend twice on such a lengthy game anytime soon.

I'd love to throw in another title, Divinity:Original Sin, a different type of rpg, this game is scripted, staged, and calculated very carefully, every enemy encounter is challenging, it doesn't even have respawn, you just know when an area has higher level of enemy you're not supposed to venture there and go somewhere else first, by the time you have to go through that area, you are at the ready, you never outlevel your enemy by much or underlevel by much. It also has a lot of meaningful sidequests just like TW3. The crafting system and finding the right stats on an armor piece for one particular char build is very rewarding, sometimes even end up wearing low level armor piece just because it has OP stats but it's a fair trade off. Money is easy to come by, but as easy as spending it all at once and end up flat broke.

You are trying to compare a single entity 2nd person game against a group orientated game? The two cannot be compared very well really. They are two completely different things. Both got things right and both got things wrong.

For positive things, you actually used a negative to support your conclusions? A bit underhanded and very telling ;)

Both are brilliant stories and great games but there is no doubt that the story telling in TW is second to none. The sheer fact they go a bit beyond the pale will endear it to a wider audience (or at least younger). I know people who play DAI who won't play TW because there is too much bad language. That's not a negative, just a statement of fact. Those people tend to be older.

Saying Inquisitor is boring and Geralt is awesome is just pure fanboy. Nothing more or less. They are two different types of character. One is whatever the player wishes him to be, the other is what the player fits into.
Sorry, Sera was the best female in either of them. She has the wit and banter and appeals very much to my sense of humour. I completely disagree on the female.
The styles of worlds are very different between the two. I actually prefer the look of DAI. Although TW is great with distance.

lol and the 3rd line in your post? "No Bioware vs CDPR wars please lets talk about the games" ;)

How is it fanboy if I like Geralt more than the Inquisitor? The latter was just boring and always neutral thats why I don't like him
There was no interesting backstory and personality (like Hawke), no origin stories or any interesting RP possibilities (like The warden) just a pure blank slate with nothing to offer

Saying its just me being a fanboy is silly

I thought Sera was very annoying (probably the worst Bioware companion) but to each their own

And why can't the games be compared? They aren't that different apart from the gameplay
Comparing them with Skyrim or Fallout wouldn't be right (as an example) since the latter are just focused on the open world and not on the story and characters (like TW3+DA:I are)

I'd love to throw in another title, Divinity:Original Sin, a different type of rpg, this game is scripted, staged, and calculated very carefully, every enemy encounter is challenging, it doesn't even have respawn, you just know when an area has higher level of enemy you're not supposed to venture there and go somewhere else first, by the time you have to go through that area, you are at the ready, you never outlevel your enemy by much or underlevel by much. It also has a lot of meaningful sidequests just like TW3. The crafting system and finding the right stats on an armor piece for one particular char build is very rewarding, sometimes even end up wearing low level armor piece just because it has OP stats but it's a fair trade off. Money is easy to come by, but as easy as spending it all at once and end up flat broke.

Hehe reading that comment made me hear "No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses " in my head :) love Larian studios and Divinity games.

I enjoyed DA:I but I liked pretty much everything about TW3 better. Characters, writing, open world. quests, choices, romances were all higher quality and more enjoyable in TW3 in my opinion. Even pacing was way better than DA:I due to the fetch quest lockout system it had.

I can quickly see this thread degenerating into petty squabbles, but given these two games have eaten up a lot of my gaming time recently, I feel I'll put in my two cents worth:

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Pros:
--- Party banter and interaction. Always one of the strongest elements of the DA franchise, they did well again in making you feel part of a band of heroes. Lots of comedic and character depth to be found here. That said, I felt the party was not as strong as the one in DA:O, primarily because too many of the characters were 'heavily entrenched' in a certain sterotype and lacked the overall depth of the characters from DA:O. So while it's done well, I felt it was a step back for the franchise, but I get some of that is subjective. I just didn't find characters such as Iron Bull, Sera, Dorian, Josie, Viv and Varric to be that interesting (I did like Cole, Solas, Cass, Blackwall and Cullen). Oh, and I didn't like what they did with Leliana either, as she was my favourite from the DA:O.
--- World building and lore: I enjoy the lore that has been created for the DA franchise, and I feel that it has interesting elements and dynamics.
--- Franchise consistency: the Keep was well designed and constructed, and you can see that they put a lot of effort into making different variations depending on prior choices and how your game plays out. Stuff like whether Morrigan has a child or not, what happens to Alistair etc.
--- Art direction for the world spaces. Most of them look very nice and added well to atmosphere.
--- Main story: I liked it. While it was relatively simplistic and the villain not very threatening, the sub-plots (does the Maker really exist, what is the veil exactly, if the current belief of Elven/world history is false, then what really happened?) were absolutely amazing, although unfortunately left hanging a bit.
Cons:
--- World Content: while the world spaces are beautiful and well crafted, they are unfortunately almost all empty and devoid of meaningful content. This is especially apparent in the biggest zones, such as Hissing Wastes. Looks beautiful, and those ancient dwarven ruins on those huge mountains were fun, but exploring them is empty and meaningless.
--- Questing: most of it is bland and some are extremely simple fetch-quests with nothing more than 'go here, do/kill this, get xp'. Also doesn't help that there is rarely any interaction with any NPCs (if any exist in the zone to begin with). It shows that almost all the dialogue happens between party characters and the MC, and during the story. Almost no dialogue for any side-quests, they're all delivered through documents. Many of the elements are also very repetitive - the favourite being lovers/family trying to reunite but having failed and died, you find their last note and corpse.
--- Combat: a problem that existed in DA:O as well; if you aren't a mage, combat is boring as heck. There's no strategy involved, it's just timing potion spam/cooldown management (and maxing out your guard) and pressing the attack button. Sure, combos exist, but often there's too much stuff flying around and the controls meant trying to land anything was difficult.
Overall:
The end result was that while I enjoyed DA:I initially, particularly the usual following up on party interactions and exploring the first few zones, I actually struggled to finish the game. I dropped it for a while before returning and basically then rushing through what was left of the main quest in order to finish the game. I ended up lacking any and all motivation to finish the side zones because the combat was boring and I knew there were no real meaningful quests to find out there. My impression was that while it retained good story and world-building elements, it largely failed in terms of game mechanics. I won't be returning to it, even for new story content, and I'll simply 'catch up' reading the latest lore developments in the areas that I'm interested in.

Witcher 3:
Pros:
--- Combat: I love it. It's challenging, especially early in the game, and engaging, especially on higher difficulties. No random button mashing unless you want to spend a lot of time meditating afterwards to restock on potions, or want to horde food items. If you approach it tactically, plan and think ahead, you can win most encounters taking very little damage, even against more powerful foes or when heavily outnumbered.
--- World Building: the world spaces are really well constructed, logical in design, internally consistent, and full of content. Sure, not all of it is that deep, and there is some repetitive stuff in there, but there's a sense that you can uncover a cool powerful monster to fight, a stash of loot, or sad little side-stories by exploring.
--- Main story: I'm not finished yet, but I'm enjoying it so far. I expected it would be more straightforward given the relatively cliche setup this game (find Ciri, gather friends, defeat Wild Hunt) compared to W2, but so far the character interactions and writing are making the ride quite fun.
--- Questing: extremely well done by large RPG standards. Quests are well written, and while some of the quests are quite formulaic (ask about monster, investigate scene, follow tracks, find lair, kill beast), the writing helps keep you from getting too bored. You often get a sense of the loss or tragedy involved in the loss of lives and trying to find closure for loved ones. In that sense this is far superior to the DA:I method of only finding the aftermath through reading notes, it feels more emotional and connecting when you speak to a character in dialogue.
--- Gwent: what a minigame! It's so much fun!
Cons:
--- Franchise consistency: as others have noted, it is a bit underwhelming in terms of impact and references to previous games. In a few spaces there is dialogue referring to past characters, but ultimately, it does feel like more could have been done here, particularly as W2 had such significant consequences depending on your choices.
--- Main story: yes, it's a pro and a con. As noted, the negative aspect of it is that its over-arching content is very cliche and quite predictable. While the first half of it has enough quirks and character dynamics to keep interesting, my suspicion is that this will get harder the closer it gets to the climatic part. So far, I'm not witnessing any real sub-plots either, but that might be because this is set up as the conclusion to a trilogy, where DA:I for example is the latest installment in an ongoing franchise.
Overall:
The end result is that I'm still really, really enjoying Witcher 3 despite being close to the amount of time spent in DA:I. I'm only around half through the main plot but have done a lot of side-quests, as I feel these are really fun and engaging. I love the world that's been created, it's beautiful but also full of content which allows you to go explore knowing you can find stuff and that it's not all empty. I feel the game has pretty much met my expectations, and yes, I do consider it superior to DA:I in most regards, because I feel it succeeds not just in creative elements, but gameplay elements as well.

DA:I will not shine had TW3 be released on the same year it was released. DA:I lacks the immersion; all npcs are just standing still and only be moved when they are supposed on different locations. Guards/villages never reacts when monsters are near them and so on. Tthe side quests are too mundane don't feel like you are the Inquisitor. The only good thing on DA:I is the dragons but then there are no giant dragons in witcher lore.

TW3 wins hands down for me

I really love them both, i don't get why some people think it's impossible to be a fan of both games, for me the more awesome games the better.

The Witcher 3 and its not even a contest.

DA:I is a watered down game compared to Origins and is not really open world there is no day/night cycle for instance and the zones are pretty much static lifeless places the overall sidecontent of Inquisition is garbage, the rewards and the insentive is garbage and the poor side quest are really terrible, so terrible in fact that you feel disconnected from your character by doing them, nothing feels like matters in the big picture.

Pretty bad game, the only good thing about that game is the characters and your interactions with them, Bioware should just make a sim date game and it would be much better than anything they released in that game.

This is interesting from someone who hasn't touched the Dragon Age series yet. I had always thought that Dragon Age's strengths was it's world building and variety, while the Witcher's strengths was its storytelling and focus (those things aren't mutually exclusive, this is just what I've heard comparatively). Seeing how some folk here are praising Inquisitions story as brillianceI suppose I'll have to check out the series now.

And on the detail on importing decisions -- after I read about why CDPR decided to reduce the importance of previous game decisions, I feel like they made the right decision for the strength of the story they wanted to tell. I think this works in favour of the Witcher 3, rather than against it. But this is my perspective, since I'd sacrifice pretty much anything for a good story to be told well. Given how many book references and previous game references they made, I'm pretty satisfied.

This is interesting from someone who hasn't touched the Dragon Age series yet. I had always thought that Dragon Age's strengths was it's world building and variety, while the Witcher's strengths was its storytelling and focus (those things aren't mutually exclusive, this is just what I've heard comparatively). Seeing how some folk here are praising Inquisitions story as brillianceI suppose I'll have to check out the series now.

And on the detail on importing decisions -- after I read about why CDPR decided to reduce the importance of previous game decisions, I feel like they made the right decision for the strength of the story they wanted to tell. I think this works in favour of the Witcher 3, rather than against it. But this is my perspective, since I'd sacrifice pretty much anything for a good story to be told well. Given how many book references and previous game references they made, I'm pretty satisfied.

Your initial reaction to them is pretty close. The story telling in TW is incredible, but then, it is coming from (I presume) a successful, book/series in the first place, which the game writers have done some great things with as well as the famous thumb up to the establishment. But give DA a go. It has completely different play style and is also a good game.

No one said it's an either/or situation :)

---------- Updated at 12:36 AM ----------

Er mods please don't ban me for suggesting broadening ones viewport *cough*

I think DA:I was the weakest of the Trilogy (most will say DA2 was but I disagree, especially the story was very underwhelming definitely NOT brilliant)
After TW I would keep my expectations low in that department

The World building in DA is great though, it also isn't restricted to one protag, there is a lot more variety etc.

Last edited:

DA:I story brillant?, those must be fanboys because the story of that game is MEH, dosent even have an original enemy or anything full recycled stuff.

Come to think of it, a witcher and a grey warden is quite similar in a way, they undergo a ritual/process and might come out as a corpse or gifted with abilities.
(I think very highly of grey wardens when I played DAO, but suddenly they became not so important anymore or even criminals.)

Come to think of it, a witcher and a grey warden is quite similar in a way, they undergo a ritual/process and might come out as a corpse or gifted with abilities.
(I think very highly of grey wardens when I played DAO, but suddenly they became not so important anymore or even criminals.)

I personally didn't like how they were treated in DA:I

Top Bottom