TW3 vs DA:I [SPOILERS]

+
I don't agree that DAI has better politics. I think TW3 wins in that department as well. In DAI the politics are so over the top. TW3's politics feel more down to earth and real.

Though I do feel TW3 greatly simplified the complex political landscape that TW2 set up. I'm a little disappointed by that. The politics in TW2 were hands-down the best politics I've ever seen in a videogame.

As for romances: I think TW3 wins there as well. The romances of DAI felt quite juvenile in comparison to TW3's romances.

Wild Hunts politics and and romantic interludes have a foundation built on previous games wher eas DAI does not. Of course they will seem deeper and more interesting, because they are more fleshed out because of the previous titles. That doesn't necessarily make them better, just fuller. People without prior knowledge of previous Witcher games or books won't have a clue to the significance of most things because the game does little to fill in the blanks. DAI for the most part lets in in on the entire political status of the world as you go along, no prior knowledge is really needed.

So it's kinda a toss up.

I don't really see the big deal. The Witcher 3 is a good game but it's nothing ground-breaking. The story, while well written, is still a standard fantasy affair with lots of the typical cliches, The characters are nicely done but still nothing new as they still follow most of the standard archetypes for fantasy, The quest, again, while well made are nothing that hasn't been done before. The combat is actually pretty bare bones for an RPG and closer to something I'd expect from an action/adventure game. If we are ONLY talking about TW3 the romance isn't actually very good since there is no establishing and building of it as that was done in earlier games and we are just experiencing the end of it in this game.The graphics and world design are nice but no better than I've seen in other game. It suffers all the normal problems most open world games do

All in all it's a decently made and fun game but nothing that's going to go down in the history of gaming as a major milestone or game-changer because it doesn't actually do anything new.

I can say much the same for DA:I but with some different points since it went about things in a different way. It at least made the attempt to stray off the beaten path in some areas (not that it got to far). It too isn't going to go down in gaming history as a major point. Tho the DA franchise as a whole probably will simply because of how massively popular it is

They are both good games and going by the fans and sales both entertained/are entertaining a metric shit-ton of people. At the end of the day a game's ONLY worth is how entertaining it is and both fulfilled that job very well

Last edited:
Is this even a contest?

From an old time RPG player, DAI is total garbage.

TW3 is better in every aspect.

If DAI went back to its isonometric view origins from DA Origins (pun intended) than it would be good, different than witcher but good.

As it is, I dont even recomend it.

Actually DA:I is also just the same old generic saving the world story (like DA:O) only executed in a much worse manner (with a terrible villian who gets owned at every
opportunity, I mean the Archdemon while generic was at least powerful, Cory is just a wimp)

Symbolism? lol Have we played the same game?

Apparently not.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it like I did.

But yes, I found Inquisition to be a highly intelligent and well written game while Origins was just fun.

---------- Updated at 03:59 AM ----------

I don't agree that DAI has better politics. I think TW3 wins in that department as well. In DAI the politics are so over the top. TW3's politics feel more down to earth and real.

Though I do feel TW3 greatly simplified the complex political landscape that TW2 set up. I'm a little disappointed by that. The politics in TW2 were hands-down the best politics I've ever seen in a videogame.

As for romances: I think TW3 wins there as well. The romances of DAI felt quite juvenile in comparison to TW3's romances.

I felt the romances of TW3 were incomplete, confusing, and poorly written.

Yennefer keeps acting like I'm her boyfriend, Triss doesn't talk to me, and there's no other options than a brief encounter that was underwhelming.

Inquisition, I felt Cassandra's relationship was awesome.

DA:I is a really fun game, but at no point did it feel half as immersive as the world of W3 does. Witcher 3 wins this one easily.

Personally i think DAI combats beats Witcher 3 combat!

Yes DAI combat is a downgrade version of DAO but the AI in the game is somewhat superb compared to Witcher 3. Like they use a lot of abilities to kill me especially the nightmare mode. Seriously i really don't get the idea there are no tactics involve in DAI in this thread? It seems to me a false statement to me. Like really fighting a venatori i would kill first the mage due it will put magic traps and use powerful spells to kill me and then teleport.

Like hell in Witcher 3's AI standing around when a crossbow hitting them. Also the introduction of crossbow in the game felt useless. Compared to Witcher 2 traps and daggers are quite useful. Like hell in Witcher 2 i could kill a freaking golem using traps compared to crossbow. Also crossbow felt quite op in underwater. Like where are the tension that drowners are powerful in underwater even in death march underwater combat is lackluster.

Totally agreed Hands down witcher 3 wins in graphics, animation, gameplay, quest and the story but the combat gameplay is rather weak and yes somewhat mediocre.

The combat is different.

In a game like DAI where you have party style combat, you expect a strategy pause time combat (hence why DAO was better, tatics and camera wise).

And, in those type of combat games like Divinity: Original SIn and Pillars of Etternity just blow DAI out of the water.

DAI skill customization is ridiculous for what it aims to be.

The combat is different.

In a game like DAI where you have party style combat, you expect a strategy pause time combat (hence why DAO was better, tatics and camera wise).

And, in those type of combat games like Divinity: Original SIn and Pillars of Etternity just blow DAI out of the water.

DAI skill customization is ridiculous for what it aims to be.

Yes is different but still DAI is quite challenging especially in nightmare mode. Like hell why is this thread exist. Where comparing two different game w/ different gameplay mechanics?

Really the weakest gameplay mechanic of Witcher 3 is combat.

Yes is different but still DAI is quite challenging especially in nightmare mode. Like hell why is this thread exist. Where comparing two different game w/ different gameplay mechanics?

Really the weakest gameplay mechanic of Witcher 3 is combat.

I agree that its the weakest part of Witcher 3 ATM, but that can be changed in future patchs and/or with mods.

I've been anxiously awaiting Fallout 4 for 5 years now. Now it's announced, trailer and everything, and I'm afraid W3 has ruined it for me.

The Inquisitor can affect the world via the Overboard, make a lot of decisions which affect the way the world develops, and decide who is crowned ruler of Orlais with a really fun mission.

I think that it blows Witcher 3's handling of politcs out of the water.

The problem with the War Table in DA:I is that ultimately it feels really shallow. Sure, it's fun initially and allows for some interesting lore and character stuff to be played out, but eventually it starts to feel like a let-down, because you never see anything happen. All you get is a brief description initially as you read the mission and pick an advisor to handle it, then you get some text again at the end to conclude it.

I ended up feeling that the War Table became a tool to allow the developers to avoid putting this content in as fully-fledged quests, while still managing to include a lot of 'content'. However, it feels very shallow because you never actually experience the content yourself, and you rarely get to see it have any visual impact in the game world when you explore.

This is generally my big issue with lore/story/politics whatever you want to call it in DA:I. While it's there, and a lot of it is actually quite well written, the problem is that it mostly only exists in codex entries, meaning you end up reading about it, as opposed to experiencing it through quests, dialogue or exploration. That seems very poor for a game, as if I want to read well-constructed fantasy worlds, I'd probably find a good book to read. At to be fair, this is what I end up doing with DA stuff - I end up reading the interesting stuff on the wiki, because slogging through the game to get that information became tedious.

I've been anxiously awaiting Fallout 4 for 5 years now. Now it's announced, trailer and everything, and I'm afraid W3 has ruined it for me.

Yea me too, but after looking at the trailer I somewhat feel kinda dissapointed, particularly in the graphic presentation and what's even more worrying is that it might be released something this year based on Bethesda Store

But I will wait till more in game preview footage surface and hope F4 doesn't disappoint me...

Yea me too, but after looking at the trailer I somewhat feel kinda dissapointed, particularly in the graphic presentation and what's even more worrying is that it might be released something this year based on Bethesda Store

But I will wait till more in game preview footage surface and hope F4 doesn't disappoint me...

The trailer was a huge let down to me... Same music, graphics that look like new vegas lol Yea lets hope it gets better.

Meh I'm not worried because honestly it's the Mod community that will make or break the game for me anyway. The same as it was with the last 2 FO and TES games (not counting the crappy MMO). As long as they can manage to get it out the door less of a buggy mess than Skyrim was I'll be happy

What is most amusing is those one or two pro reviewers who said that DA:I's combat was better than TW3's. Combat in DA:I is almost a self-satire. You run at your enemies, spin around, shout at them, blow your horn in their ears, bite them, pour a hot fluid on yourself to inspire yourself to gain stamina, you reel them towards you with a grappling hook, you take damage on your allies' behalf, you fire arrows that put them to sleep, you hit them with your shield or the pommel of your sword, etc., All of it is implausible cartoony nonsense, with no sense of physics or the notion that your attacks connect with the enemies.

TW3's combat may require some getting used to, but it's possible to get good at it and it doesn't feel like a grind, and the enemies aren't hp sponges. I just beat my first noon-wraith boss today and it was awesome.

TW3's quests are also far superior to DA:I's. Yeah, DA:I does more inter-game C&C, but come on! TW3 has real side-quests with real writing. I've played 50 hours of TW3 now (I'm a busy guy -- I didn't have time for more than that) and I haven't encountered one boring or cliche quest yet. They're all pretty good. DA:i on the other hand... well the quests are fetchy in the Pac-Man sense. You run around and collect stuff. Your character collects magic shards, bottles of booze, mosaic pieces, letters from dying soldiers, supply caches, books, quarries, wood stashes, key fragments, metals, herbs, relics, all while destroying lyrium shards, planting flags, activating fade spheres, drawing constellations and other busy work. It's boring bullcrap.

I finished DA:I twice, but on the second run I spent most of the time with the volume off listening to lectures and podcasts. (I'm not a student, but I listen to lectures. Weird habit.) There's simply not enough in DA:I to keep my attention. I can't imagine doing the same with TW3. No way.

I'll pick the option where my money doesn't go to the souless corporation that sucks all IP dry. RIP Mass Effect.

The trailer was a huge let down to me... Same music, graphics that look like new vegas lol Yea lets hope it gets better.

Releasing a trailer that actually looks likes the final game sounds mightily responsible to me.
I would have thought that strategy would be appreciated by this forum :p

I honestly don't understand the praise for the side quests in this game. They are nothing new. Instead of go to X and kill X then come back to get paid it's hold down a button and follow glowing footprint to get to X so you can kill X then come back and get paid. Or instead of go to X and collect X then come back to get paid it's go to X, hold down mouse button then click on glowing objects then come back to get paid. The only good part about them is that a lot of them actually have some decent story context given as apposed to some random villager telling you to kill 10 wolves because he just doesn't fucking like wolves. Tho there are still some side-quests that are just basic fetch quests with nothing interesting about them and there are some with no real story worth or context at all. Earlier I ran into a boy on the side of the road with a quest marker. Boy says "Me pa being attacked by a bear help him" I say "OK ya little shit I help you" you are then ambushed by 3 bandits cause it apparently was a trap. What follows is an extremely short yet still boring battle where they refuse to attack till you come within 3 feet of them but by then it's pointless since they are set on fire and chopped in half in one swipe. When they are dead the quest just ends. No story context, the boy just disappears and that's it.

I see nothing at all new, innovative or ground breaking going on. There are some that at least have interesting stories behind them which is definately a big plus but the basics are still just your common RPG quests

Last edited:
Top Bottom