TW3 vs DA:I [SPOILERS]

+
The trailer was a huge let down to me... Same music, graphics that look like new vegas lol Yea lets hope it gets better.

You know, I'm just thinking that Bethesda might be using reverse psychology method of providing mediocre quality only to wow us in the final product considering how recent big games such as DA:I and TW3 have their graphics and gameplay downgraded? :crazy:

I honestly don't understand the praise for the side quests in this game. They are nothing new. Instead of go to X and kill X then come back to get paid it's hold down a button and follow glowing footprint to get to X so you can kill X then come back and get paid. Or instead of go to X and collect X then come back to get paid it's go to X, hold down mouse button then click on glowing objects then come back to get paid. The only good part about them is that a lot of them actually have some decent story context given as apposed to some random villager telling you to kill 10 wolves because he just doesn't fucking like wolves. Tho there are still some side-quests that are just basic fetch quests with nothing interesting about them and there are some with no real story worth or context at all. Earlier I ran into a boy on the side of the road with a quest marker. Boy says "Me pa being attacked by a bear help him" I say "OK ya little shit I help you" you are then ambushed by 3 bandits cause it apparently was a trap. What follows is an extremely short yet still boring battle where they refuse to attack till you come within 3 feet of them but by then it's pointless since they are set on fire and chopped in half in one swipe. When they are dead the quest just ends. No story context, the boy just disappears and that's it.

I see nothing at all new, innovative or ground breaking going on. There are some that at least have interesting stories behind them which is definately a big plus but the basics are still just your common RPG quests

Well its a huge improvement over "Hey leader go grab me x amount of blankets for refugees!" for me but its my taste. Again from my point of view most of the time a really small but nicely thought detail can make a huge diffrence on what seems to be a repetive action.

Well its a huge improvement over "Hey leader go grab me x amount of blankets for refugees!" for me but its my taste. Again from my point of view most of the time a really small but nicely thought detail can make a huge diffrence on what seems to be a repetive action.

Oh I agree. I'm an avid MMO player and you know how those games handle side quests. I was overjoyed at SWTOR simply because they added story cutscenes and context along with the side-quest even tho they were still the standard generic ones you always see. A small thing that was far from ground breaking or amazingly original but it made a big difference in how entertaining I found it.

My comment was more at the people here who keep acting like this game did something entirely original and ground breaking that will set a new standard and forever change the face of the gaming industry. It hasn't. I haven't seen a single original or innovative thing in the game as far as it goes. What we have is a (mostly) nicely crafted game that while still just using all the basics of the game-type has an immersive and well written story which makes it entertaining.

DA:I and even Origins is pretty much in the same boat. If you enjoy the story, setting and characters than the game has a lot to offer. If you don't than it has nothing really that you can't just find somewhere else

Last edited:
Oh I agree. I'm an avid MMO player and you know how those games handle side quests. I was overjoyed at SWTOR simply because they added story cutscenes and context along with the side-quest even tho they were still the standard generic ones you always see. A small thing that was far from ground breaking or amazingly original but it made a big difference in how entertaining I found it.

My comment was more at the people here who keep acting like this game did something entirely original and ground breaking that will set a new standard and forever change the face of the gaming industry. It hasn't. I haven't seen a single original or innovative thing in the game as far as it goes. What we have is a (mostly) nicely crafted game that while still just using all the basics of the game-type has an immersive and well written story which makes it entertaining.
If only they didnt use the stupid wow mechanics :( Agreed with you on setting standarts part though lots of games named as groundbreaking and such but for me there are only 2 such games Half Life and Baulder's Gate these actualy set standarts in my opinion the rest while putting maybe a couple new things didnt change anything massive. Hmm maybe Minecraft too but the way i look at it is a platform to make your own game by using mods.

Witcher 3 is better overall. I loved the DAI mainstory, the many different characters and companions. (And their quests)
But the world Thedas felt static and liveless. Much better in Witcher 3. Even though DAO was better then Witcher 1 :)
I even like DA2 more then Witcher 2 because of the combat. (Yeah I know DA2 had a lot of flaws....)

For me DAI was an 88/100 game and Witcher 3 is a 93/100 game. If Biowarewould have put a bit more afford into the Multiplayer like they did in ME3, then DAI would get more points. But the DAI MP is a joke compared to ME3!

So Witcher 3 probably even beats Skyrim. GOOD JOB CD PROJECT!

Last edited:
Releasing a trailer that actually looks likes the final game sounds mightily responsible to me.
I would have thought that strategy would be appreciated by this forum

You know, I'm just thinking that Bethesda might be using reverse psychology method of providing mediocre quality only to wow us in the final product considering how recent big games such as DA:I and TW3 have their graphics and gameplay downgraded? :crazy:

We'll see I'm hoping for the best, I've watched it a bunch of times trying to figure out why it bothers me so much and I think it's more the engine and how they do lighting, textures/maps. They are just so old school compared to W3, Frostbyte, etc... Not to mention the flat polygon dog doesn't help the scene too much haha I even feel like his skeleton for the model is just too rigid.

TW3 wins easily for me. It simply felt more mature and gritty. While DAI is too colorful and high fantasy. I also detest how BW is shamelessy pushing their sjw agenda in their games ruining my immersion in the world they created. Also all my favorite characters are from TW. Triss, Yen, Philippa and Saskia proved you can build a strong female character without sacrificing their femminility. Cassandra is a joke....a man in a woman body...

TW3 wins easily for me. It simply felt more mature and gritty. While DAI is too colorful and high fantasy. I also detest how BW is shamelessy pushing their sjw agenda in their games ruining my immersion in the world they created. Also all my favorite characters are from TW. Triss, Yen, Philippa and Saskia proved you can build a strong female character without sacrificing their femminility. Cassandra is a joke....a man in a woman body...

I felt the same about her I literally thought, shouldn't you be looking for a another girl? haha

I felt the same about her I literally thought, shouldn't you be looking for a another girl? haha

Yeah but the man-on-man romance with Iron Bull was fucking hilarious

Iron Bull says "Actually he's the one who's been taking it" :D

Last edited:
DA:I
Well... I spent a lot of time on DA:I (80+ hours) but I hated it as much as I loved it and I honestly can say, I will never play it again.
- The gameplay was horrible and tedious, seriously my hands hurt after long gameplay session on M+K
- the so called tactical camera was a joke
- character modeling and animations were butchered to fit last gen consoles
- romance options and choices were very limited (especially if you're straight) and dialogues were horrendous
- HUD and menus were the worst I've ever seen in a RPG
- optimization on PC was one of the worst ever at launch, didn't get much better afterward from what I gathered: it was a poor console port
- side quest were irrelevant
- the story was so generic and dumb that when the game ended, I just sighed, and said: worst game ever.
- NO mods support (probably the dumbest thing of all)
- lots of maps, but each of them were medium / small sized and lifeless
- no day night cycles... instead, maps decides if it's day or night. DUMB!
- Patches are coming slower than a snail.

TW3:
I'm around 80+ hours and I can't get enough of it. Sure it has flaws (i'll come back to that) but FOR ME, the positive far outweight the negative at this point.
- The main story is kinda original but to be honest, not that great. It's good mainly because the characters are very well written and have depths I've rarely seen in a game.
- The combat system is enjoyable, though it could have profit from a little more depth. Still, I enjoy switching skills to defeat specific ennemies and exploit weaknesses
- HUD and menus are not the best, especially for an old school PC player, but at least, it's manageable. Except for the inventory: it's a f.... mess.
- Itemisation is maybe one of the worst I've seen. This make me sad sometimes.
- Alchemy and craft are a mess, and feels like it'sbeen rushed in the end of development.
- The side quest are AMAZING. The baron quest line is exceptionally well written, and even the little side quests adds to the atmosphere
- Contract and treasure hunts are a nice touch, especially with all the little things to read and NPCs to talk to.
- Maps are huge. It isn't true open world but damn, try to go from north of velen to the far south of velen, it's a 40min trip at least!
- The graphics are amazing for a game of this scale. Even more beautiful with some nice reshade fx
- It's MODABLE already, and we don't have the redkit yet. Imagine the possibilities
- GWENT. This does not require any comments I think ;)
- 0 gamebreaking bugs for me so far. I've had ONE CTD in 80+ hours of game, and it was probably because I had the in game AA activated as well as the one from reshade preset. Didn't get any since then.
- Almost more patches in two weaks than DA:I since launch

Verdict:

TW3 wins by far ;)

I honestly don't understand the praise for the side quests in this game. They are nothing new. Instead of go to X and kill X then come back to get paid it's hold down a button and follow glowing footprint to get to X so you can kill X then come back and get paid. Or instead of go to X and collect X then come back to get paid it's go to X, hold down mouse button then click on glowing objects then come back to get paid. The only good part about them is that a lot of them actually have some decent story context given as apposed to some random villager telling you to kill 10 wolves because he just doesn't fucking like wolves. Tho there are still some side-quests that are just basic fetch quests with nothing interesting about them and there are some with no real story worth or context at all. Earlier I ran into a boy on the side of the road with a quest marker. Boy says "Me pa being attacked by a bear help him" I say "OK ya little shit I help you" you are then ambushed by 3 bandits cause it apparently was a trap. What follows is an extremely short yet still boring battle where they refuse to attack till you come within 3 feet of them but by then it's pointless since they are set on fire and chopped in half in one swipe. When they are dead the quest just ends. No story context, the boy just disappears and that's it.

I see nothing at all new, innovative or ground breaking going on. There are some that at least have interesting stories behind them which is definately a big plus but the basics are still just your common RPG quests

Of course what you do during a quest is going to be limited to the game's design. Developing unique gameplay systems around each quest is just not feasible at any appreciable scope. Every quest has to boil down to combinations of combat and dialogue segments because that is what RPG gameplay is -- hell, the tabletop game all of this is derived from can be boiled down to the exact same thing.

What sets the Witcher apart from others in the genre is the storytelling, the way a lot of the quests weave in/out of one another, and just the detail that many of the quests have. And you are correct that not every activity in the game has the same detail. This game has tiers of content. You've got main quests, side quests, and Witcher contracts which all tend to have the "full" storytelling experience. There are "Treasure Hunts" which have lots of lore attached to them but it is told through text and the evidence left behind. Then you have the "!" and "?" that CDPR calls "points of interest" -- these are just short diversions that you can choose to engage with in the open world. For nearly every other open world game the "Points of interests" is all there is beyond the main quests, and that is why this game is getting so much praise for its approach and being celebrated as an example for everyone that comes next.

Asking if DA:I is better or W3 is in a W3 forum is like asking if XBOX is better than PS4 in a PS4 forum.

Both are good games in their own right. There are certain things one game do better than other.

I like the skill tree of DA:I & you can equip different 6 different skills, & there are a lot of skills to pick on. Combat can feel dratsically different depends on class & skill you use. W3 combat is intensive at times but you are basically using the same skills you started. The alternative Igni is probably skill unlocked that feel like a new skill. I know teh combat system is design so Geralt feel like a master swordman, but I like the vareity in combat that DA:I bring. When I got bore, I can always switch to another character to throw lighting bolts or traps.

Not all points of interest on the map are open up & you need to explore before point of interest show up, much better than W3 in my opinion.

Side & main quests are better in W3, no doubt.

DA:I has a simple & tradition XP & leveling system that works. XP & leveling in W3 is all over the place that you constantly worry about overleveling or XP lost due to overlevel due to the static XP point system. In DA:I you never feel you need to start doing main quest or side quest. You just take on the quest when you feel like it.

the settings are a matter of preference. DA:I has a more fantasy setting with different feel & climate in each region. W3 is more middle ages Europe with some dwarves& elves thrown in. I like the excitement & freshness of exploring each location is DA:I, but I also like the realistic & medieval feel of W3.

Yes, Cassandra is not pretty, even manly looking, Sera is not really pretty, & DA:I have the ugliest elves you seen in recent games, but I like that not every main NPC women (that isn't an old woman) are amazingly pretty like W3.

I enjoy both. Maybe you love one over the other, but to say DA:I is shit or something compare to W3 is ridiculous.

Played both, and for me DA:I is the most forgettable in the series. Low on story quality and complexity, and even lower on repeatability. Large empty landscapes, with forgettable generic side quests, Armour which is nothing but a trench coat with add ons (while art assets were syphoned off for a bloody multilayer). More dlc milking. Tactical combat hardly, considering its horrific camera for PC. It felt like a half arsed console port from start to finish. For me it did not deserve the accolades it received. Hell originally the game log on screen would make high end cpu's hit ridiculous temperature. I'll take TW3 any day by a country miles, even a bow legged horse with 3 legs beats (as does PoE easily) DA:I Lastly not forgetting the BW's trade mark, its bland hub based game design... which force you to return to base to have a conversation with companions like you were collecting stamps or listening to their poorly written sanitised whining.

DAI art direction is more than mediocre, i couldnt play more than a couples hours, the character design is ass and ultra streamlined, they wanted to appeals to kids while throwing social justice in your face ( wich is extremely insulting )

coming from Bioware, the guys who made one of the best game ever ( mass effect ) is more than surprising

ther's no point comparing, DAI dosnt stand a chance, it dosnt even stand by itself

Odd thing to say, the suppression of the Elves seems extremely unjust to me.

With "social justice" I meant Anita Sarkeesian's influence on it. Everything about the female characters feels to be fitted her view of what is appropriate for women and what is not. Which made them damn boring for me.

Witcher's women didn't feel like that. They were far more diverse any way more interesting for me.

Having played both games, this sums up my opinion about the difference in quality between these two games:

Asking if DA:I is better or W3 is in a W3 forum is like asking if XBOX is better than PS4 in a PS4 forum.

Not really good comparison because Witcher has really heavy support on Bioware forums. Thing is, as moment some people start discussing Witcher there SJW starts to scream insults and threads are closed really fast.
I would bet if you put a poll there that it would be much closer then you think it would.

Top Bottom