Two Best Decks At the Moment

+
Hey all,

After watching the homecoming 'reveal', I am excited. I want to come back after 6 months off and play daily to get my keg each day -- which means I only care about winning. Cost is no factor as I have saved scraps just for this.

Please advise! Thank you!

Look at the meta snapshot, there's a soldier deck with Calveit as leader.

Or you try alchemy NG (also with Calveit), which is probably something like this: https://topdeck.pro/gwent/meta-snapshot/

But I strongly dislike these decks (or Greatswords), so I'm not the best person to talk about them :D

If you are trying to rank up, I would seriously advise that you avoid Greatswords. I've recently made it into GM, with 4307 MMR this season and I can confirm that the top is 85% made up of 2 types of decks: Greatswords, and decks that can counter Greatswords :p Specifically, I saw a lot of Nekkers, Soldiers, NG handbuff, Foltest and some Dagon at the very top, which was the only odd one out.

There's a few veterans as well.

If you are just playing for dailies, you can pick a decent deck and stick with it. Notable examples:

Alchemy
Greatswords
Veterans
Soldiers
Foltest
Nekkers
NG Handbuff
Deathwish (though you might as well forfeit against Greatswords with this deck)
Calveit Reveal

all of these should give you a positive winrate after you get the hang of them, meaning after a few games with them. Some are more complicated to play than others. Probably the best well rounded deck of these is Foltest, who only has a disadvantage against Nekkers and Handbuff from this list, but he notably can't reach the same level of power as say Greatswords. Same goes for Alchemy, decent deck all around, good for countering fringe decks and one trick ponies like Sabbath- Olgierd that is pretty common in casual, or Ocvist, but it also cannot reach a massive level of power, it just focuses on disrupting the opponent.

Let me know if you need lists for any of those. You've got until the 23rd of October so that can be plenty of kegs :) Happy hunting.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
According to Khreygond two best deck atm are Greatsword and those that counter it.
So you should build a ultimate GS deck and start climbing the ladder with it until you face too many GS that the time you switch to the counter GS deck (since you mastered GS deck you know well how to counter them) => profit.

So what you need right now is the Ultimate GS list and the one that counter it perfectly in every turn.

Last edited:
Here's the future as I see it. More of the same...

The game will change, the clever sods on youtube won't. They will come up with very efficient decks. Everyone will copy them..back to square one where 95% of people are using 1% of the player base decks...the youtube guys.

So, in order to be competitive in ranked play. I also must copy their decks, they work. Otherwise, it's a waste of time even bothering to play this game. I will lose unless I copy another man's deck. Brilliant..

Don't even get me started on the bias towards certain factions.

...in order to be competitive ... must copy...

The ugly truth about every online games nowadays, not just Gwent. Event in an offline single player game where there is no need to be competitive people still looking for the best build to play :D.

The strongest deck currently available is Greatswords hands down. Its insane win ratio since last patch is a clear proof that it was painfully overlooked on the last balance patch. Although if you really have to go that way, please have the common decency of not using that deck in Casual. :)

Second place is less obvious and had shifted many times, but Skellige control have fared surprisingly well in recent meta reports. I guess because it still packs enough of the Skellige "brokenness", including the last remaining coinflip abuse. However it may not to be a very straightforward deck to pilot.

You still have some classics that are still pretty good, like Alchemy, Nekker Consume and I think Emphyr's handbuff was already around when you left 6 month ago.

Foltest goodstuff and Calveit pointspam are also more than decent decks, but I think they're overrepresented in current meta for what they're really worth. They seem easy to pilot though.

The ugly truth about every online games nowadays, not just Gwent. Event in an offline single player game where there is no need to be competitive people still looking for the best build to play :D.

That's the whole problem with F2P games: they create an environment where all players care about is winning. Playing "casual" mode, which luckily isn't dead like most online card games, you STILL encounter decks like alchemy and GS. It's quite frustrating. The mode is populated by grinders who don't care about.

Seriously, "casual mode" should have the option to blacklist several leaders or decks with certain cards in 'em. It's perfectly possible to program such a mode. This would satisfy all the Shupe, Nova and GS-haters, and would result in a much happier community. If you hate nekkers, they shouldn't make you play them on casual. Sure, you can scoop when you see the deck, but that just encourages them as they gain free in-game currency.

Aside from this widespread "cardgame" disease, Gwent does a good job to make all cards somewhat playable. You rarely see that.

That's the whole problem with F2P games: they create an environment where all players care about is winning. Playing "casual" mode, which luckily isn't dead like most online card games, you STILL encounter decks like alchemy and GS. It's quite frustrating. The mode is populated by grinders who don't care about.

Seriously, "casual mode" should have the option to blacklist several leaders or decks with certain cards in 'em. It's perfectly possible to program such a mode. This would satisfy all the Shupe, Nova and GS-haters, and would result in a much happier community. If you hate nekkers, they shouldn't make you play them on casual. Sure, you can scoop when you see the deck, but that just encourages them as they gain free in-game currency.

Aside from this widespread "cardgame" disease, Gwent does a good job to make all cards somewhat playable. You rarely see that.

While I don't like playing against top tier decks in casual all the time, it's good to have them, to see how any new deck I try fares against them in a non-competitive environment, without getting punished for the loss.

What could satisfy both parties is the option to choose potential leaders/factions/cards something when you go into matchmaking, like you said, blacklisting. You could train against specific matchups if you waited long enough for the time it'd take to find a match too. That'd be a nice thing to have

Well, this blacklisting system sounds good on paper, but it would be easy to abuse by the very same people you try to protect against.

Well, this blacklisting system sounds good on paper, but it would be easy to abuse by the very same people you try to protect against.
Exactly!
If blacklisting system exist, i just build a Sweers NG then go bully those nekkers, or hard removal Eithne vs Greatsword....

On the Ladder, either you improvise. adapt. and overcome or you shall not pass!!!

P/s: Those who play tier 1 deck on casual maybe they are new to the deck and are learning it or they just do their daily quest, btw loosing in casual mode cost you nothing so why don't you just show them mercy by forfeit. When i play casual, if i face a deck i know that i can not beat, i forfeit immediately and move on to the next match, just to save my time. I usually practice tier 1 deck on casual until i know exactly what card left on my deck, i then switch to rank mode.

Last edited:
While I don't like playing against top tier decks in casual all the time, it's good to have them, to see how any new deck I try fares against them in a non-competitive environment, without getting punished for the loss.

What could satisfy both parties is the option to choose potential leaders/factions/cards something when you go into matchmaking, like you said, blacklisting. You could train against specific matchups if you waited long enough for the time it'd take to find a match too. That'd be a nice thing to have
I agree here. I pay to rank 19 every season then quit due to the netdecking. I can proudly say since the beginning of gwent i've never played with another person's deck. I love skellige but refuse to play greats words, I also don't play any noobgaurd decks either because they are the worst aspects of gwent.

Warning: somewhat heated arguments follow, but they're not aimed against you but rather against the phenomena. Also I do realize it's just my own take on the subject and different perceptions exist.
P/s: Those who play tier 1 deck on casual maybe they are new to the deck and are learning it or they just do their daily quest, btw loosing in casual mode cost you nothing so why don't you just show them mercy by forfeit. When i play casual, if i face a deck i know that i can not beat, i forfeit immediately and move on to the next match, just to save my time. I usually practice tier 1 deck on casual until i know exactly what card left on my deck, i then switch to rank mode.
At the expense of sounding selfish: I just don't care. :) They ruin a game mode that should and could be fun.

I also can't support these arguments.

Casual has minimal practice value because of the diversity of deck power and player skill you face there. If you don't care about your opposition and just want to see how your deck plays out, you could just go a couple rounds against the AI and don't ruin someone else's game in the process. But I usually just build up my new ranked decks in ranked and suck up a couple of defeats because of my inexperience and untuned deck. I think it's the only effective way to learn and optimize and also I don't have to screw with others while doing it.

I understand the reasons for the daily wins, still I can't say that's healthy. I really hope most players won't find pleasure in an unbalanced match on either side of the board (and I have no respect for those who do :)), so if you're just wasting your time playing unfun matches to complete some goal the game sets to you, you should really be considering whether you're spending your free time the best possible way. Besides collecting a couple wins without playing the top 5-10 ladder decks isn't that hard (and would be even easier with no tier1 decks there :)).

So no I won't show these people mercy or any other positive emotion, but rather try to put up a good fight and then don't good game even if I manage to beat them somehow (not that it matters too much). And reserve my mercy for people in a bad situation rather than those who put me and others into one.
Although you're right, I would probably have more fun if I'd just forfeit against these tier 1 decks on casual. I just don't like going down without a fight and also don't want to help those who are willing to ruin the game mode for their easy wins. But that's my disease and at least nobody else has to suffer because of it other than me. :)

Sadly I have no idea to help with the problem that wouldn't be an asshole move (like starting a campaign of "rope against tier 1 decks on casual" to screw them back :) ).

Warning: somewhat heated arguments follow, but they're not aimed against you but rather against the phenomena. Also I do realize it's just my own take on the subject and different perceptions exist.

At the expense of sounding selfish: I just don't care. :) They ruin a game mode that should and could be fun.

I also can't support these arguments.

Casual has minimal practice value because of the diversity of deck power and player skill you face there. If you don't care about your opposition and just want to see how your deck plays out, you could just go a couple rounds against the AI and don't ruin someone else's game in the process. But I usually just build up my new ranked decks in ranked and suck up a couple of defeats because of my inexperience and untuned deck. I think it's the only effective way to learn and optimize and also I don't have to screw with others while doing it.

I understand the reasons for the daily wins, still I can't say that's healthy. I really hope most players won't find pleasure in an unbalanced match on either side of the board (and I have no respect for those who do :)), so if you're just wasting your time playing unfun matches to complete some goal the game sets to you, you should really be considering whether you're spending your free time the best possible way. Besides collecting a couple wins without playing the top 5-10 ladder decks isn't that hard (and would be even easier with no tier1 decks there :)).

So no I won't show these people mercy or any other positive emotion, but rather try to put up a good fight and then don't good game even if I manage to beat them somehow (not that it matters too much). And reserve my mercy for people in a bad situation rather than those who put me and others into one.
Although you're right, I would probably have more fun if I'd just forfeit against these tier 1 decks on casual. I just don't like going down without a fight and also don't want to help those who are willing to ruin the game mode for their easy wins. But that's my disease and at least nobody else has to suffer because of it other than me. :)

Sadly I have no idea to help with the problem that wouldn't be an asshole move (like starting a campaign of "rope against tier 1 decks on casual" to screw them back :) ).

Wow...! That's a lot of heat, thank for the warning :).

I used to think like you :). So, it's ok.

I do practice againt AI first then cansual then ranked.

"some goal" gonna give you some scraps, so "some goal" has to be done.
I have so much free time, and Gwent in the bottom of the to-do list :D

When you rope your opponent you also rope yourself. (as i never rope back :D, after a couple turn roping themself they start playing normal. When i got roped, i just watch TV... so no screw here :D).

P/s: It's just a game, Why so serious?!

Why so serious?!

I agree here. I pay to rank 19 every season then quit due to the netdecking. I can proudly say since the beginning of gwent i've never played with another person's deck. I love skellige but refuse to play greats words, I also don't play any noobgaurd decks either because they are the worst aspects of gwent.
this season i didnt bother to get above 19 too, sick of pointspam

Top Bottom